Thread: Trump confirms he authorized Rand Paul to negotiate with Iran

Trump confirms he authorized Rand Paul to negotiate with Iran

Trump confirms he authorized Rand Paul to negotiate with Iran

BY TAL AXELROD
    07/19/19

President Trump on Friday confirmed he has authorized Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) to negotiate with Iran over reducing tensions, reversing himself a day after he denied reports he permitted Paul to serve as an emissary to Tehran.

“Rand is a friend of mine, and Rand asked me if he could get involved, the answer is yes, and if the other senators ask me to get involved, I’d probably say yes depending on who they were,” Trump told reporters at the White House Friday. “I have many people involved, and Iran is going to work out very nicely. “

On Thursday, Trump told reporters he had not signed off on Paul’s request to help reduce tensions with Iran.

“I would listen to him, but I didn’t appoint him, no,” he said. “No he’s somebody I listen to, and I respect Sen. Paul and if he had some ideas I would listen.”

read more:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...iate-with-iran

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Source: Iran FM met Rand Paul to feel out possible US-Iran talks

Read more: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...#ixzz5u9vsq1P7

"Mohammad Javad Zarif met with Sen. Rand Paul" yesterday?

I don't know anything about this publication, "Al-Monitor - the Pulse of the Middle East". Their source is "a non-government expert in contact with the Iranian team". If the story is accurate, it would mean Rand was in New York for some portion of yesterday. (It takes at least 4 hours to drive a car from DC to NY.)

Source: Iran FM met Rand Paul to feel out possible US-Iran talks
    Laura Rozen July 19, 2019

WASHINGTON — Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif met with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky) in New York July 18 to feel out prospects for possible discussions between Iran and the United States, a non-government expert in contact with the Iranian team told Al-Monitor on condition of anonymity.

The Iranian mission to the UN did not respond to Al-Monitor queries on the meeting. Zarif told reporters in New York Thursday that he was holding meetings while in New York this week with some members of Congress, but not with US administration officials or envoys. He would leave it to the US lawmakers he met with to identify themselves if they wish, he told UN reporter Susan Modaress.

The US administration was aware of a possible meeting between a US Senator and Zarif in New York, a US official said Wednesday. Paul was not acting as an official US envoy, Al-Monitor understood.

“We're aware of reports of a supposed meeting between a US Senator and Zarif,” the US official, speaking not for attribution, told Al-Monitor on Wednesday. “It's unclear how productive a conversation with Zarif would be, given his limited role in making decisions on behalf of the Iranian regime. The president has said several times that he is willing to talk with Iran. However, the regime has shown no signs they're ready to meet diplomacy with diplomacy.”

(MORE) https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...ble-talks.html

Well Iran has seized a second tanker, we can use all the diplomacy we can get.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I don't know anything about this publication, "Al-Monitor - the Pulse of the Middle East". Their source is "a non-government expert in contact with the Iranian team". If the story is accurate, it would mean Rand was in New York for some portion of yesterday. (It takes at least 4 hours to drive a car from DC to NY.)
    well he was in D.C. yesterday at 4pm EST, so it would have been in the morning.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Nice article: https://spectator.us/mark-levin-war-first-rand-paul/

Like this quote that Levin said about Trump:

"Paul’s ‘not dovish, he’s a Code Pink ideologue,’ Levin derisively claimed.

In 2016, Levin said after a Republican primary debate in which the poll-leading candidate at the time blasted the Iraq War, ‘To have the leading Republican nominee for president of the United States to make these statements, and he’s been praised by Code Pink. He should be praised by Code Pink and every kook organization out there and every left-wing kook organization that hates America.’

Levin was talking about Donald Trump.
    "
    "The president does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack...that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." "Attack Libya UPDATE 8/13: and Syria"

"We can track down terrorists without trampling on our civil liberties.... the federal government will only issue warrants and execute searches because it needs to, not because it can." "Need to murder UPDATE 8/13: and track citizens" ~ Barack H. Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Well Iran has seized a second tanker, we can use all the diplomacy we can get.
    Yet another reason to be glad that "the Maverick" is sprouting mushrooms ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-19-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Woohoo! My 14,000th post! Too bad it was about a waste like McCain ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Flip Flopper in Chief flips yet again.

https://iraniansforum.com/lobby/inde...-in-washington

Al-Monitor, a pro-Tehran website in Washington.

Al-Monitor is a Washington based website launched in January 2012 that calls itself “the pulse of the Middle East.” The main site, which is in English is divided by region, or “pulses”—like “Iran Pulse,” “Turkey Pulse,” and others.

The Washington Post has called Al-“an invaluable Web-only publication following the Middle East,” and The Huffington Post said that Al-Monitor is “increasingly a daily must-read for insightful commentary on the Middle East.”
    The investigative journalist Lee Smith has written a detailed story about Al-Monitor and explains how the website's articles and reports are in large majority in favor of the Syrian regime and its terrorist ally Hezbollah. He writes:

"Observers assert that the arguments and positions of the Assad government receive heavy coverage in the site’s “Lebanon Pulse” section, with an emphasis on translated material from pro-Hezbollah, pro-Assad media outlets as well as original content produced for Al-Monitor by writers who also work for pro-Hezbollah, pro-Assad media.

Until Al-Monitor was founded, pro-Hezbollah journalists could only publish in resistance media outlets. In Al-Monitor, by contrast, their work is printed alongside reporting and analysis that falls within the mainstream of public policy discourse. Several of Al-Monitor’s critics point specifically to August 2011, when Al-Monitor’s founder and owner, a Syrian-born businessman named Jamal Daniel, bought a large share of As-Safir—a Beirut daily newspaper that the New York Times has variously described as a “pro-Assad Lebanese newspaper,” and “a left-leaning publication that often supports the pro-Assad Lebanese group Hezbollah."
    More at link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-Te-DPbSE

I mean it's great that we're hearing about this but I'm guessing this was leaked by our political opponents. I think if it were Rand's choice he would have preferred to get some traction before any announcement. Same with Trump which is probably why he's flip flopping: It wasn't supposed to be leaked and was an exploratory effort and maybe he didn't want anything official just yet.

The only people there where Rand Paul made the offer to act as a go-between with Iran were: Rand, Trump, Lindsey Graham, and David Perdue. Any guess who'd have the most motivation to leak this? Whose allies in the media left and right would be the first to discredit the effort? Take a guess!

My theory: Graham leaked it so his allies (Levin, etc) could savage Rand and Trump for it and the visibility would get Rand and/or Trump to back out because they would "seem weak" if they negotiated.
    Last edited by Libertea Party; 07-20-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    "The president does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack...that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." "Attack Libya UPDATE 8/13: and Syria"

"We can track down terrorists without trampling on our civil liberties.... the federal government will only issue warrants and execute searches because it needs to, not because it can." "Need to murder UPDATE 8/13: and track citizens" ~ Barack H. Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It's amazing how triggered you get.

This is a win win for Rand and flies in the face of all skeptics of his actions thus far in building a relationship with trump, and all you can think about is orange man bad.

Sounds legit.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I'm sure you would have preferred Hillary during this war climate with Iran. Too bad it did not work out for you.