Thread: BO-NO: Boris Johnson REFUSES to commit to cutting immigration after Brexit

BO-NO: Boris Johnson REFUSES to commit to cutting immigration after Brexit

Oh no.. he's going to lose SS but at least Zippy will be pleased:

BORIS JOHNSON was accused of “betraying” the Brexit vote last night after failing to commit to cutting sky-high net migration if he becomes Prime Minister.

In an astonishing move, the former Vote Leave champion refused to say he would bring numbers down if he replaces Theresa May.

Speaking at the Sun/Talk Radio debate, he said: “What I want to see with immigration is control.

“I’m not going to get into numbers with you.”

Rival Jeremy Hunt, who as Health Secretary, called for looser immigration rules for doctors and nurses, immediately countered that Brexit voters would feel let down.

And he insisted the Tories were duty bound to find a way of cutting migration. He said: “They [voters] voted with an expectation that net migration will come down.

“And I think that people will think we are betraying the spirit of that referendum if we didn’t find a way of bringing down the numbers.

“The way you do that is by training people in this country so we don’t need to bring in people.”
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/951361...n-jeremy-hunt/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He never had me.

I said he was an improvement over May and that is still true.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Why wont the foolish British consider family friendly polices that promote British birthrates?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Why wont the foolish British consider family friendly polices that promote British birthrates?
    INGSOC

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Whoever wins is going to disappoint voters- no matter what they do for BREXIT, the majority won't like it.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-16-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Whoever wins is going to disappoint voters- no matter what they do for BREXIT.
    So they should just do the right thing and leave first and negotiate trade from a position of strength.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So they should just do the right thing and leave first and negotiate trade from a position of strength.
    If they have already left, what is there to negotiate?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-16-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

If they have already left, what is there to negotiate?
    Trade.
    Read what I said.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trade.
    Read what I said.
    Trade terms are the gist of the exit plan. They are already in the agreement on the table (the EU says they are done negotiating).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-16-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Trade terms are the gist of the exit plan.
    LOL

Brexit is about independence, trade is secondary and can be handled after Brexit is complete.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL

Brexit is about independence, trade is secondary and can be handled after Brexit is complete.
    It includes what sort of tariffs and trade restrictions will be in place. You should read up on it sometime. Yes, they can try to negotiate for better trade terms later (but the EU does not have to even talk with them if they choose not to).

It includes what sort of tariffs and trade restrictions will be in place. You should read up on it sometime. Yes, they can try to negotiate for better trade terms later (but the EU does not have to even talk with them if they choose not to).
    They can just leave and deal with the trade stuff later, that's my point.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They can just leave and deal with the trade stuff later, that's my point.
    If they leave without a deal, they are automatically under WTO trading rules. That will mean higher tariffs.

If they leave without a deal, they are automatically under WTO trading rules. That will mean higher tariffs.
    And they will be in a much better position than the EU, then they can negotiate from a position of strength.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And they will be in a much better position than the EU, then they can negotiate from a position of strength.
    27 countries would have less leverage than just one? UK needs them more than the EU needs them. 54% of UK imports come from the EU. Trade with the EU accounts for about a third of their (UK) GDP. EU does get about half their imports but that is spread across those 27 countries. UK GDP is about 16% of the total EU GDP.

27 countries would have less leverage than just one? UK needs them more than the EU needs them. 54% of UK imports come from the EU. Trade with the EU accounts for about a third of their (UK) GDP. EU does get about half their imports but that is spread across those 27 countries. UK GDP is about 16% of the total EU GDP.
    You are laying out the case for why the UK would be in the stronger position and you don't even know it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The British pound tumbled to its weakest level in more than two years on Tuesday as fears of a 'no deal' Brexit continued to weigh on GBP, which has been steadily sinking during the Tory leadership contest that many expect will send Boris Johnson, a committed Brexiteer, to No. 10 Downing Street.

And on Tuesday, Johnson - who said last night that he wouldn't accept any time limits (both he and his rival Jeremy Hunt ruled out such a measure), unilateral escape hatches or any other kind of elaborate device to make the Irish Backstop more palatable - gave investors one more reason to worry: Sky News reports, citing anonymous sources from within Johnson's campaign, that the candidate could delay a customary speech by the Queen that marks the beginning of the Parliamentary session - this would render MPs unavailable on Oct. 31, the day the UK is set to leave the EU. Though Johnson's rival Jeremy Hunt has said he's open to another brief delay, Johnson's position is that on Halloween, Brexit will finally mean Brexit.
    There have been some negotiations to work out an alternative to Theresa May's withdrawal agreement, but thanks to the inevitability of dealing with the hated Irish Backstop - which conservatives argue would effectively allow Europe to annex Northern Ireland - talks have once again been fraught.

As Sky explains (for our American readers), Parliament is typically out of session for between one and two weeks ahead of the Queen's speech - meaning MPs would in effect be unavailable to stop a no-deal Brexit immediately before October 31.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...no-deal-brexit

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Falling almost a penny compared to the dollar is "tumbling"? Typical Zerohedge over-hype.