Thread: State Wants To Be Able To Take Your Car Away if You Go 5 Miles over Speed Limit

State Wants To Be Able To Take Your Car Away if You Go 5 Miles over Speed Limit

# @oyarde do something

Indiana is working overtime to abuse civil asset forfeiture seemingly in an effort to pad its budget. Apparently, even the smallest of crimes — such as driving a few miles per hour over the speed limit — can cost the average resident a lot more than he or she expected or thought was possible.

Let’s go over the backstory first. In 2015, Tyson Timbs was charged after he sold illegal drugs to undercover Indiana cops. He was using the money he earned — as is all too common these days — to fuel an opioid addiction.

After his guilty plea, the state filed a lawsuit demanding that his $42,000 Land Rover SUV be confiscated.

The problem, however, is that Timbs’ crimes only carried a maximum fine of $10,000; the vehicle is obviously worth four times that amount.

The private law firm representing the state of Indiana argued to invoke civil asset forfeiture because Timbs drove around with heroin for a short time.

Although I’m in no way, shape or form defending a convicted drug dealer, it’s more than concerning that the state thinks it’s entitled to more than the maximum fine amount in those situations. It’s essentially legalized theft.

However, despite the case between Timbs and Indiana making it to the United States Supreme Court last year — and the SCOTUS unanimously ruling with Timbs — the state of Indiana is still trying to argue that even the most petty instances of breaking the law can result in civil asset forfeiture.

According to Reason, that includes a situation involving a vehicle that was stopped for going five miles per hour over the speed limit, if you ask Indiana Solicitor General Thomas Fisher.

“This is the position that we already staked out in the Supreme Court when I was asked by Justice [Stephen] Breyer whether a Bugatti can be forfeited for going over five miles over the speed limit,” Fisher said last week during oral arguments before the Indiana Supreme Court.

“Historically, the answer to that question is yes, and we’re sticking with that position here.”

Imagine the types of scenarios that regular, law-abiding folks could find themselves in, given that line of reasoning? The possibilities are scary and endless.

Indiana is being represented by a man who believes a million-dollar car can be impounded and sold off if the driver were to violate a driving law that carries a fine of a few hundred bucks. How does that make any logical sense?

continued..https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/st...r-speed-limit/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Didn't SCOTUS just say they couldn't because it was an "excessive fine"?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Didn't SCOTUS just say they couldn't because it was an "excessive fine"?
    However, despite the case between Timbs and Indiana making it to the United States Supreme Court last year — and the SCOTUS unanimously ruling with Timbs — the state of Indiana is still trying to argue that even the most petty instances of breaking the law can result in civil asset forfeiture.
    //
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    //
    I thought so.

What makes them think they can ignore the Constitution AND SCOTUS?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I thought so.

What makes them think they can ignore the Constitution AND SCOTUS?
    I don't know, ask a cop.
    "The Patriarch"

I once had a cop a few years ago pull me over for going 5 miles over the speed limit and told me if he ever caught me doing it again, he'd make sure my license was taken away but he never said anything about taking my car away. If this ends up happening, I'm going to be pissed.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 07-15-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I once had a cop pull me over for going 5 miles over the speed limit and told me if he ever caught me doing it again, he'd make sure my license was taken away but he never said anything about taking my car away.
    You know who's license should be taken away? The dickbags in the fast lane doing 5 mph under the speed limit, they create more hazards than the idiots texting, although in many cases they are one and the same.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I once had a cop a few years ago pull me over for going 5 miles over the speed limit and told me if he ever caught me doing it again, he'd make sure my license was taken away but he never said anything about taking my car away. If this ends up happening, I'm going to be pissed.
    I doubt it will, they want to use it against people they don't like and can demonize, if they did it all the time there would be a revolution.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.