Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: IL-Massive property tax increases hit Chicago home squatters

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    No, it is “providing for the common defense”.
    Note that word "common." That means it applies equally to all of us.

But if I want to hire someone to work in my factory, or rent an apartment out to them, or sell my house to them, and you won't let me, whoever's interests you may think you're defending, they aren't mine. So it isn't the "common" defense.

That is unless you understand the word "common" to be something that sweeps together all of us as individuals into a collective with its own interests that are distinct from the interests of the individuals comprising it. If this is what you mean, then you're illustrating precisely what I said in the quote you tried to contradict, and showing that your own version of immigration restrictionism does exactly what I said. My property isn't my own as an individual, but is the common property of the nation, naturally then to be managed ultimately by the government.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is what history tells us.
    Eventually all of these countries with limited militaries will be conquered & invaded

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...t_armed_forces
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    I can always count on you to post after post after post after post in order to divert attention from the posts that I make. Every time.

Right out of the NEOCON playbook.

_____

Northrop Grumman has been confirmed as the winner of a three-and-a-half year, $95 million contract to develop the first two increments of a new biometric identification system for the Homeland Security Department.

DHS' future Homeland Advanced Recognition Technology system is intended as an upgrade over the current platform built in the 1990s for national security, law enforcement, immigration and intelligence functions.

Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) is an American global aerospace and defense technology company. With over 85,000 employees and an annual revenue in excess of $30 billion, it is one of the world's largest weapons manufacturers and military technology providers. The firm ranks number 118 on the 2018 Fortune 500 list of America's largest corporations.

Northrop Grumman and its industry partners have won the Collier Trophy eight times, most recently for developing the X-47B, the first-ever unmanned, autonomous air system operating from an aircraft carrier. In 2004, Scaled Composites, a subsidiary of Northrop Grumman, won the Collier Trophy for the SpaceShipOne which was successful developed for the first privately financed, built, and flown space vehicle. Northrop Grumman currently leads the development of B-21 Raider, a long-range, stealth strategic bomber capable of delivering conventional and thermonuclear weapons; it will replace Northrop's own B-2 Spirit, the only known stealth bomber in the world.

Aerospace Systems

Aerospace Systems, headquartered in Redondo Beach, California, produces aircraft, spacecraft, high-energy laser systems and microelectronics for the U.S. and other nations.

Mission Systems

Mission Systems produces and maintains the AWACS aerial surveillance systems for the U.S., the United Kingdom, NATO, Japan, and others. Northrop Grumman is the prime contractor for the development and integration of the Air Force's $2-billion Multi-Platform Radar Technology Insertion Program. Northrop Grumman also supports the U.S. ballistic missile program, integrates various command, control and intelligence systems and provides technical and management services to governmental and military customers, all with an emphasis on cyber security.

Technology Services

The Technology Services sector headquartered in McNair, Virginia (with a Herndon mailing address), works on "the entire life cycle of civil and defense platforms and capabilities through a range of services". Vinnell, a Northrop Grumman subsidiary, provides training and communications for the military. In 2003, it landed a $48 million contract to train the Iraqi Army. In 2005 the company won a $2 billion contract with Virginia to overhaul most of the state's IT operations. Later that year, The United Kingdom paid $1.2 billion in a contract with the company to provide maintenance of the country's defensive radar.

Northrop Grumman performs various functions in the War on Drugs. The company sends planes to spray herbicides on suspected cocaine fields in Colombia and opium poppy fields in Afghanistan.

Innovation Systems

On June 7, 2018, the acquisition of Orbital ATK was completed and the former company was absorbed in Northrop Grumman as a new business sector called Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems. With this acquisition, Northrop Grumman got more involved in the space industry, which now includes the construction and launch of the Cygnus spacecraft. The firm is in the process of developing the Omega space launch vehicle, which will bring U.S. government's national security satellites into space.

Affiliated companies and partners

Remotec, a subsidiary, is a manufacturer of remote control vehicles for explosive ordnance disposal and hazardous material handling. A UK-based subsidiary, Park Air Systems, provides VHF and UHF ground-to-air communications systems for the civil and defense markets. Northrop Grumman has also worked closely with Antenna Associates, Inc., a manufacturer of Identification friend or foe (IFF)/Secondary Surveillance Radar (SSR) antennas located in Massachusetts.

In August 2007, Northrop Grumman acquired Scaled Composites in which it had previously owned a 40% stake.

In 2008, Northrop Grumman began working with DHS Systems LLC, manufacturer of the Deployable Rapid Assembly Shelter (DRASH) in New York, as part of the U.S. Army's Standard Integrated Command Post System program.

2010 to present

From 2013, Northrop Grumman participates in the DARPA Tactically Exploited Reconnaissance Node (TERN) program, and received $2.9 million for Phase 1 and $19 million for Phase 2. The TERN program attempts to launch and recover a UAV from mid-size ships to provide long distance intelligence gathering.

In July 2013, Northrop Grumman won a training-simulation contract potentially worth $490 million to support the U.S. Air Force's next-generation aerial warfare virtual-training network.

In October 2015, the US Military announced it had awarded Northrop Grumman the contract for the successor to the B-1 and B-52, subsequently identified as the B-21. The initial value is $21.4 billion, and could eventually be worth up to $80 billion.

In September 2017, Northrop announced its intention to acquire missile and rocket manufacture Orbital ATK Inc for $9.2 billion: $7.8 billion in cash plus $1.4 billion in net debt. On November 29, 2017, the acquisition was approved by Orbital ATK stockholders and on June 6, 2018 the merger closed after final FTC approval. The acquired company assets and naming were absorbed and become a division named Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems.

Political contributions and governmental ties

From 1990 to 2002, Northrop Grumman contributed $8.5 million to federal campaigns. According to PAC summary data compiled by Source Watch, the company gave US $1,011,260 to federal candidates in the 2005–2006 election cycle, compared to $10,612,837 given by all defense contractors in the same cycle. This donation amount was only behind that of General Dynamics and Lockheed Martin in the defense industry. The majority of the contributions, 63%, went to Republicans. Former Northrop Grumman Electronics Systems chief James G. Roche served as Secretary of the Air Force for two years under George W. Bush. Roche would eventually be nominated to head the Army, but withdrew his nomination among accusations of mismanaging a contract with Boeing and of failing to properly handle the Air Force sexual assault scandals of 2003. According to CorpWatch, "at least seven former officials, consultants, or shareholders of Northrop Grumman" have held posts "in the Bush administration...including Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz, Vice-Presidential Chief of Staff I. Lewis Libby, Pentagon Comptroller Dov S. Zakheim, and Sean O'Keefe, director of NASA." Wolfowitz and Libby have both since left the government amid scandals.

The company engages third-party lobbying firms in jurisdictions where it has interests. For example, in South Australia it works with lobbying firm CMAX Communications.

Controversies

Too many for this thread.

International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) Violations

U.S. State Department investigators found that Litton Industries, a subsidiary acquired by Northrop Grumman in 2000, had provided portions of source code used by guidance and navigation system interfaces aboard Air Force One to a company in Russia in 1998. Northrop Grumman agreed to pay a $15 million fine for 110 violations, occurring between September 1998 and November 1998, of the Arms Export Control Act and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

Additionally, documents filed by the State Department state that between 1994 and 2003, Northrop Grumman failed to notify the U.S. State Department about the computer guidance systems also being transferred to Angola, Indonesia, Israel, China, Ukraine and Yemen.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...in-the-Swamp-)
    You are the one trying to distract from the truth, all of the issues you point out would be worse in the NAU that you are facilitating, letting communists invade us will not solve them, the USSR was not a land of anarchic liberty and Communist China is not either.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Eventually all of these countries with limited militaries will be conquered & invaded

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...t_armed_forces
    Not if they can be bullied or immigrated into compliance or have little that anyone wants.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The immigrants have been used and are being used to conquer us politically and steal our liberty and property.
    But you don't only want to restrict immigration of those individuals you can prove are coming here to conquer us politically and steal our liberty and property, do you?

You also want to restrict the immigration of those who are innocent of that.

Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Note that word "common." That means it applies equally to all of us.

But if I want to hire someone to work in my factory, or rent an apartment out to them, or sell my house to them, and you won't let me, whoever's interests you may think you're defending, they aren't mine. So it isn't the "common" defense.

That is unless you understand the word "common" to be something that sweeps together all of us as individuals into a collective with its own interests that are distinct from the interests of the individuals comprising it. If this is what you mean, then you're illustrating precisely what I said in the quote you tried to contradict, and showing that your own version of immigration restrictionism does exactly what I said. My property isn't my own as an individual, but is the common property of the nation, naturally then to be managed ultimately by the government.
    The individual can not defend his rights against collectives of tyrants, therefore some limited collectivism is required to preserve the most liberty possible.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But you don't only want to restrict immigration of those individuals you can prove are coming here to conquer us politically and steal our liberty and property, do you?

You also want to restrict the immigration of those who are innocent of that.

Am I right?
    We can't read minds, therefore we must take a white list approach as opposed to a black list.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The individual can not defend his rights against collectives of tyrants, therefore some limited collectivism is required to preserve the most liberty possible.
    Individuals who think like you and want to collectivize themselves voluntarily should be able to do so. And they should keep their collective to those who voluntarily join it, not subjugate others by conquest.

we must take a white list approach as opposed to a black list.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Northrop Grumman has been confirmed as the winner of a three-and-a-half year, $95 million contract to develop the first two increments of a new biometric identification system for the Homeland Security Department.
    Yep. Global. Global in the sense that they sell all over the globe, it’s just that each nation or group has some limitations. The US is their favorite customer. But they can’t sell machine guns in the US, while they hand them out like candy in many places in the world, including to enemies. Advanced aircraft don’t go everywhere, but ironically, they can go to the nation whose citizens flew aircraft into our towers.

Cut the budget down to the bare essentials. No need for biometric ID.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Individuals who think like you and want to collectivize themselves voluntarily should be able to do so. And they should keep their collective to those who voluntarily join it, not subjugate others by conquest.
    That's nice but life doesn't work that way, territory must be contiguous to be defensible and we aren't born in discrete batches that allow us to all come of age at the same time as our parents die.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I see what you did there.
    No, you don't.

You are proving yourself to be the racist.

A white list is a list of things/people that are allowed, a black list is a list of things/people not allowed.

We can't read minds so we must take a conservative approach and only allow a limited number of people from the most liberty oriented cultures because most of them will probably be less liberty oriented than Americans and we can only educate/assimilate them so fast.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

At the very least they would commit genocide by way of seducing whites into miscegenating with them consensually.
    That would be a profanely heinous, opprobriously incorrigible consequence.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

No, you don't.

You are proving yourself to be the racist.

A white list is a list of things/people that are allowed, a black list is a list of things/people not allowed.
    It was a joke.

Are you autistic or something?

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The number and types of visas at any given time will always be a debate.

AFAIK, the caravans of people arriving at the southern border are not coming for any specific, pre-arranged job. It’s the opposite, as most of them have been told by organizations like Catholic Charities that they will be taken care of by the US taxpayer. No prior job or housing arrangements necessary.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

It was a joke.
    That's what all you liberals say when called out on your idiocy.

You posted that "joke" to call me racist. Period. Full Stop.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    I have been yelling NO PROPERTY TAX for primary residence anywhere in the US
    for over 15 years , being charged property tax on your home is literally renting
    from the government.

Anyone that doubts this, stop paying the government's property tax and see
    how long it takes them to evict you from your home.

Tax everything , as you already do, but gtfo of our homes.
    Couldn’t agree more, but refuse to pay & tptb simply take what is yours thru under the table legislation... needs to be a higher level of activism at the least... property tax is theft.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Couldn’t agree more, but refuse to pay & tptb simply take what is yours thru under the table legislation... needs to be a higher level of activism at the least... property tax is theft.
    Property tax is as bad or worse than income tax.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Property tax is as bad or worse than income tax.
    I agree with both, statements, however, I don't have a problem with 'Property Tax' it is the
    Primary Residence Property Tax that I have issue with.
    We need to gut our hole tax system but the worst IMV is the taxing of our Homes, or
    primary residences, properties we rent out or speculate on aside from our own
    homes is a different issue with me.

Disabled military veteran could lose his home over $236 in back taxes

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...na/1661266001/

Rebekah L. Sanders, Arizona Republic Published 6:30 a.m. MT July 12, 2019 | Updated 1:41 p.m. MT July 12, 2019

Disabled military veteran Jim Boerner bought his buttercup-yellow mobile home in Mesa two years ago, hoping to live affordably into his old age.

Boerner, 49, is unable to work because of spinal and brain injuries he suffered during a training exercise in 1991 at Keesler Air Force Base in Mississippi, he said.

On his limited income, Boerner keeps a cat named Samantha, fixes guitars found at garage sales and brings flowers to widowed neighbors on Christmas, Easter and Mother's Day.

To save money, Boerner says he applied to a Maricopa County program that reduces property taxes for people with disabilities and limited incomes. He thought he had been accepted.

So when a stranger knocked on his door last month claiming to have bought his home at auction because of $236 in late taxes, Boerner said he was floored.

"I said, 'What are you talking about? ... This has got to be wrong,' " Boerner recalled. "Had I known I was in peril of losing my home, I would have paid it in full."

Jim Boerner, a U.S. Air Force veteran, may lose his Mesa home over $236 in unpaid taxes he thought had been paid. He poses outside his home on July 8, 2019.
    Jim Boerner, a U.S. Air Force veteran, may lose his Mesa home over $236 in unpaid taxes he thought had been paid. He poses outside his home on July 8, 2019. (Photo: Tom Tingle/The Republic)

Now Boerner is fighting to save his home, knowing he could be forced to pack his things any day.

Government officials have scrambled to find loopholes but say there may be nothing they can do. The new owner says he won't negotiate and will begin eviction proceedings soon.

"It's difficult. It’s just difficult," Boerner said through tears on Monday. "I love my home. I love my neighbors. ... This was my nest egg, you know? That's why I paid cash for it. This is where I was going to retire. And now I don't have that assurance anymore."

For more stories that matter, subscribe to azcentral.com.

What went wrong?
    Boerner has had to navigate a labyrinth of bureaucracy to find out what went wrong.

The Maricopa County Assessor's Office handles tax exemptions. The Maricopa County Treasurer's Office collects tax payments and issues delinquency notices. The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office serves delinquent taxpayers with auction notices and conducts the sales.

"I've been getting the brick wall everywhere I turn," Boerner said.

Treasurer Royce Flora, who has been trying to help, said it's understandable that a taxpayer may feel lost.

"If we can't figure out how to get through the maze, how is he supposed to?" Flora said.

The treasurer believes it's outrageous that Boerner is facing eviction.

If Boerner had lived in a single-family home, he might not be on the verge of being kicked out. Single-family homeowners have five years to pay back taxes before foreclosure.

But different rules apply to mobile homes, which are considered personal property, Flora said. They can be auctioned as soon as tax payments are late.

Arizona law is "not treating (a mobile home) like someone's home," Flora said. "A home is a home, and they should be treated the same."

No record of his application
    Jim Boerner, a U.S. Air Force veteran, may lose his Mesa home over $236 in unpaid taxes he thought had been paid. He looks at real estate documents on July 8, 2019.
    Jim Boerner, a U.S. Air Force veteran, may lose his Mesa home over $236 in unpaid taxes he thought had been paid. He looks at real estate documents on July 8, 2019. (Photo: Tom Tingle/The Republic)

Boerner's problems began last year, when a sheriff's deputy arrived to tell him he was late on his property taxes and his mobile home could be sold at auction.

Boerner said he was confused.

He remembered filling out paperwork in 2017 soon after he bought the home to apply for a property-tax exemption and receiving a postcard confirming his acceptance.

After the deputy's visit, Boerner said he sent another application to the Assessor's Office and received another postcard. He didn't keep either postcard, Boerner said.

Boerner called the Sheriff's Office after last year's visit and learned the home was not scheduled for auction, so he figured things were cleared up, he said.

The Assessor's Office told The Arizona Republic it does send postcards to confirm property-tax exemptions. But after searching thoroughly, the office found no record of Boerner applying for an exemption in 2017 or 2018, although the office keeps all related documents including incomplete and rejected applications.

Another knock on the door
    A few weeks ago, a sheriff's deputy arrived at Boerner's home again.

"Are we going to do this every year?" Boerner said he wondered.

The deputy told him he was "perilously close" to losing the home and advised he pay the tax soon, Boerner said.

Boerner called June 13 to make a payment. Two county employees told him the deadline was weeks away.

"There's nothing serious you would need to be worried about as far as the home being in any danger or anything like that," a county call-center employee told him, according to a recording made by the county.

When Boerner asked the amount he needed to pay, he was transferred to a Sheriff's Office employee.

"Are they going to kick me out between now and June 30?" Boerner asked.

"I would imagine not. I would always advise paying as quickly as you can, but I don't see anything in my comments saying they're going to," the employee replied.

That wasn't true.

Boerner's account with the Sheriff's Office included notes that his home was scheduled for auction June 20, documents show.

A Sheriff's Office spokesman did not respond to questions from The Republic about why Boerner was given incorrect information on the phone about the imminent auction.

The Sheriff's Office employee then told Boerner he owed $641 in total. Of that, $405 was due from last year, the employee said.

When Boerner made the payment online, he said he only remembered $405. That's what he paid.

It wasn't enough. The home was sold at auction a week later for $4,400.

Conversations with the buyer
    Jim Boerner, a U.S. Air Force veteran, may lose his Mesa home over $236 in unpaid taxes he thought had been paid. He poses outside his home July 8, 2019.
    Jim Boerner, a U.S. Air Force veteran, may lose his Mesa home over $236 in unpaid taxes he thought had been paid. He poses outside his home July 8, 2019. (Photo: Tom Tingle/The Republic)

Soon, a man knocked on Boerner's door and said he had bought the mobile home. How long would it take him to move out, Boehner remembered the man asking.

The man gave an alias, Alex Patron, Boerner said, but business records suggest the buyer's real name is Lester Payne. He purchased the home under a business called Advanced Dynamic Energy Limited.

"I said, 'What are you talking about?' " Boerner said. "He said, 'I have all the documentation.' "

Boerner invited Payne in for a cool drink and called the county to ask what happened. An employee told him he hadn't paid enough in taxes and his home had been auctioned.

Payne offered to sell the home back, Boerner remembered.

"Thank God," he thought. Boerner figured he could pay $5,000, giving Payne a 16% profit.

But Payne said he would only settle for $30,000, nearly as much as Boerner had spent on the home originally and more than he could afford, Boerner said.

"I was begging him to rethink," Boerner said.

Over the next few days, Payne told Boerner he would sell the home for $26,000, and then $52,000, according to text messages Boerner shared.

Payne told Boerner by phone if he didn't pay, Payne could haul the home away at night, Boerner said.

Payne wanted to work with Boerner but the veteran called him and his family nasty names, the buyer told The Republic.

"I'm not going to try to deal with this issue anymore," Payne said.

Text messages Boerner shared with The Republic don't show him calling Payne names, but the veteran did tell Payne he could expose the buyer's criminal rap sheet, which includes felonies for aggravated assault, misconduct involving weapons and endangerment along with misdemeanors for driving under the influence and shoplifting, according to county court records.

"You want a battle, Lester," Boerner wrote. "We will battle."

Payne texted that he was "tired of the threats."

"It's been long enough for you to try to buy the home," Payne texted. "I'm starting (the) eviction process now."

How tax-lien auctions work
    From all accounts, it appears Payne legally purchased Boerner's home and has the right to take over the title.

Tax-lien auctions help local governments collect unpaid property taxes that are needed to fund schools, law enforcement and roads.

In the case of single-family homes, owners have two years to pay delinquent taxes before the tax lien is auctioned. And an auction winner has three years to collect the tax payment, plus interest, from the taxpayer before being allowed to foreclose and take ownership of the home.

Jim Boerner, a U.S. Air Force veteran, may lose his Mesa home over $236 in unpaid taxes he thought had been paid. He looks at real estate documents on July 8, 2019.
    Jim Boerner, a U.S. Air Force veteran, may lose his Mesa home over $236 in unpaid taxes he thought had been paid. He looks at real estate documents on July 8, 2019. (Photo: Tom Tingle/The Republic)

In the case of mobile homes, state law allows an auction to be held the day after a tax payment is due. In practice, there's a little bit of a delay.

The Maricopa County Treasurer's Office allows mobile-home taxpayers 30 days after a tax payment is due before declaring it delinquent and another 30 days before notifying the Sheriff's Office.

The Sheriff's Office decides which mobile homes to auction.

A detective visits the home to confirm its location, notifies the delinquent taxpayer, explains where to make a payment, warns that failing to do so could result in an auction and leaves a notice of sale, said spokesman Sgt. Bryant Vanegas. If a deputy can't serve the taxpayer, the Sheriff's Office publishes a notice in a newspaper.

Once a mobile-home tax lien is purchased, the buyer owns the home and can evict the tenants.

An uncertain future
    Boerner said he has no idea where he will live if he loses the mobile home.

He can't burden his parents by living in their small house for long, Boerner said, and he may not be able to afford to buy another place.

"I don't know where I would go," he said.

Flora, the treasurer, has asked the Maricopa County Attorney's Office to investigate.

He thinks the sale should be reversed because the Sheriff's Office gave Boerner incorrect information by phone about the timing of the auction and because Boerner paid the 2017 taxes.

The Sheriff's Office typically doesn't auction a home until a year or more of late taxes rack up, so it's curious why the office moved forward based on 2018 taxes that were only a few weeks late.

A sheriff's spokesman did not clarify the decision.

Flora said he will personally pay $15,000 to save the home.

But Payne is no longer willing to sell, he told The Republic on Tuesday.

"I'm keeping the home," he said. "My grandma needs a house. She likes the (mobile home) park."

State lawmakers concerned by Boerner's case said they want to change the law so that mobile-home owners have more time to pay back taxes. But those changes wouldn't be made until the spring when the new legislative session opens.

"A mere $50 can mean the difference between an individual or family being forced to live on the streets," Rep. Bob Thorpe, R-Flagstaff, said.

Rep. Bob Thorpe
    Rep. Bob Thorpe (Photo: Arizona House)

Thorpe held a meeting at the state Capitol on Thursday with the mobile-home industry, government officials and residents about possible changes to the law.

"I want fairness," Thorpe told the group. "We need to make sure there is enough of a grace period similar to a stick-built home so a person with a fixed income is not going to lose their home out from under them."

Rep. Anthony Kern, R-Glendale, said he will urge Maricopa County Sheriff Paul Penzone to look for a way to reverse the sale.

"Nobody wants a disabled veteran kicked out of his home in 107 degrees," Kern said.

Boerner said the stress is wearing on him.

"It's emotional. It's frustrating," he said. "... It's maddening I could lose my home over $200."

Boerner doesn't know how soon he'll have to leave.

The buyer "could come at anytime and tell me, 'Time to get out,' " Boerner said.

Contact the veteran
    Offers of help or encouragement can be sent to Boerner through his attorney, Curtis Ensign, at curtisensign@cox.net or 602-266-3300.

Tell AZ officials what you think
    State Legislature:

Rep. Bob Thorpe held a mobile-home stakeholders meeting Thursday to discuss changes to the law so that mobile homes are treated the same as single-family homes and other reforms. Contact Thorpe at 602-926-5219 or https://www.azleg.gov/emailazleg/?legislatorId=1872.

Rep. Anthony Kern is also interested in the issue. Contact him at 602-926-3102 or https://www.azleg.gov/emailazleg/?legislatorId=1868.

Maricopa County:

Assessor Paul Petersen: 602-506-3406.

Sheriff Paul Penzone: 602-876-1000.

Treasurer Royce Flora: 602-506-8511.

How to apply for a property-tax discount if you are disabled or widowed
    You may be eligible for a discount on your property taxes if you are disabled or widowed. You must:

Live in Arizona.
    Have a total assessed property valuation under $26,969.
    Have income (excluding Social Security payments) under $33,037 if there are no children living with you or under $39,634 if minor children live with you.
    Have a total and permanent disability certified by a licensed physician or be a widow or widower.
    Provide several forms of documentation and submit an application form to the Maricopa County Assessor's Office. If you live in a different Arizona county, contact your local assessor for an application.
    Keep your address updated with the assessor. If you move out of the county, you must reapply with the new county.
    The deadline to apply is March 1. Once accepted, you do not need to apply again, but officials may conduct periodic audits to ensure you still meet the qualifications.

For more information, call 602-506-3406 and ask for the Personal Exemptions Department in the Assessor's Office. Download an application form at https://mcassessor.maricopa.gov/stat...-Exemption.pdf.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Everything about property tax stinks. The "Tax" itself is a complete lie, it's government rent. The government also decides how much your house is worth. The government also causes the inflation that increases the $$$ amount of your home's worth. FUNNY HOW THAT WORKS ISN'T IT?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    I agree with both, statements, however, I don't have a problem with 'Property Tax' it is the
    Primary Residence Property Tax that I have issue with.
    We need to gut our hole tax system but the worst IMV is the taxing of our Homes, or
    primary residences, properties we rent out or speculate on aside from our own
    homes is a different issue with me.
    That would make a good first step.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234