Thread: Breakthrough? Taliban Talks With Kabul Government Bear Fruit

Breakthrough? Taliban Talks With Kabul Government Bear Fruit

Breakthrough? Taliban Talks With Kabul Government Bear Fruit

This week, Taliban and Afghan government officials met for the first time at talks hosted in Qatar and organized by Germany. The modest early agreement may pave the way to the end of the 18 year war. Meanwhile today the US resumes talks with the Taliban also in Qatar. Will the Trump Administration find a way to pull out of Afghanistan?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This week, Taliban and Afghan government officials met for the first time at talks hosted in Qatar and organized by Germany
    Thanks Germany for telling us when and where the Taliban leaders will be meeting

Makes our job that much easier
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Thanks Germany for telling us when and where the Taliban leaders will be meeting

Makes our job that much easier
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

They agreed to try to not kill civilians and declare places like schools and hospitals off limits. Other than that, the war is still on.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...012150435.html

"… Committed to respect and protect the dignity of people, their life and property and to minimise the civilian casualties to zero," a joint statement released at the end of the talks in Doha said late on Monday.

The statement also pledged to guarantee the security of public institutions.

"Ensuring the security of public institutions, such as schools, religious madrassas, hospitals, markets, water dams and other working locations," the statement said.

Qari Din Mohammad Hanif, a member of the Taliban delegation, said the group of Afghan delegates which also included members from the Afghan government, was on the same page on civilian casualties.

"Afghan people will be protected, we have always wanted this, they are never the target," he told Al Jazeera.

"We have all agreed to the fact that the civilians should not be affected, war continues, but our aim is to reduce civilian casualties to zero."

Direct US-Taliban talks

The promises came a day after at least 18 people were killed and more than 180 wounded, including scores of children, in a car bomb attack claimed by the Taliban which has been running a bloody armed rebellion since it was removed from power in 2001.
    Some said the statement was not an agreement but recommendations for peace, while others said it is "a call for peace and stability" or "a road map for peace".

"We can't call it a peace agreement, it is just a call for reduction of civilian casualties and protection of public places and institutions," Anwar-ul-haq Ahadi, a former minister of finance, told Al Jazeera.

"It is a first step in the right direction in reducing hostilities and an important one. This was more than what I expected from these talks."

Markus Potzel, Germany’s Afghanistan envoy who co-hosted the talks with Qatar, said the joint statement contained an "appeal and promise to reduce violence in Afghanistan'.

Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai, the Taliban's chief negotiator, said it was a "conference where everybody was expressing his or her views regarding peace in Afghanistan".

He defended Sunday's car bomb attack in Ghazni saying it was a "fight for freedom" against "foreign occupation".

"Our target is not civilians, those who were killed in the attack were intelligence forces, only nearby houses were affected by the blast which injured civilians."
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-09-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    They agreed to try to not kill civilians and declare places like schools and hospitals off limits. Other than that, the war is still on.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...012150435.html
    Those seem like big concessions from them , outside the norm .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Those seem like big concessions from them , outside the norm .
    That last attack with 18 killed and 180 wounded was supposedly trying to avoid civilian casualties. They just had the bad luck of being too close to their real target.

I will state upfront that my comments here are based on about six minutes of viewing, as that was about all I could stand, meaning I may have missed something vital in what seemed to be shaping up as a discussion that showcases the missing of deeper points.

Taliban is a fundamentalist, jihadist group. Their ONLY interest lies in forcing their vision of Islam on every soul on the planet. No other goal comes even close. Therefore, coming to the "peace table" is nothing more than a ruse, perhaps to buy time or to get the Kabul "government" to relax.

That the Germans declared it as "successful" only brings to glare what stooges they are, which brings us back to "no wonder they lost the war... twice."

There will likely be no peace with these people prior to committing every last one to the result of genocide. Anyone doubting this really has no concept of what it means to be Muslim. Anyone making the "but most Muslims are peaceful" claim do not understand what it means to be a proper Muslim, that the billion-plus who say nothing are not proper Muslims, and that those who are will never stop, just like the Terminator.

What possible fruit does anyone with an IQ think these activities will ever bear, other than that which advances the fundamentalist cause? Let us get real, because they already have. Your head (yes YOU) is on the menu, make no mistake about that.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I will state upfront that my comments here are based on about six minutes of viewing, as that was about all I could stand, meaning I may have missed something vital in what seemed to be shaping up as a discussion that showcases the missing of deeper points.

Taliban is a fundamentalist, jihadist group. Their ONLY interest lies in forcing their vision of Islam on every soul on the planet. No other goal comes even close. Therefore, coming to the "peace table" is nothing more than a ruse, perhaps to buy time or to get the Kabul "government" to relax.

That the Germans declared it as "successful" only brings to glare what stooges they are, which brings us back to "no wonder they lost the war... twice."

There will likely be no peace with these people prior to committing every last one to the result of genocide. Anyone doubting this really has no concept of what it means to be Muslim. Anyone making the "but most Muslims are peaceful" claim do not understand what it means to be a proper Muslim, that the billion-plus who say nothing are not proper Muslims, and that those who are will never stop, just like the Terminator.

What possible fruit does anyone with an IQ think these activities will ever bear, other than that which advances the fundamentalist cause? Let us get real, because they already have. Your head (yes YOU) is on the menu, make no mistake about that.
    One of the interesting angles they bring up is that Afghanistan is essentially a proxy war between the US and Pakistan. They also say that the Taliban may be evolving a bit to treat women a bit better.

Either way, there is no reason for US blood and money be spent over there. We can leave, and the Taliban will probably gain territory again.

As for Muslims, it is the Sunni Salafists that are radical. Look to Saudi Arabia if you are concerned about them. They sponsor and create radicalism in Pakistan/Afghanistan.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Either way, there is no reason for US blood and money be spent over there. We can leave, and the Taliban will probably gain territory again.
    But then wouldn't the Taliban just fly more planes into our towers?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Don’t be fooled. That was Iran with help from Russia that flew those planes into our towers.

Either you are with us on this war or you are for the terrorists! - GW Bush

We are still better off leaving and defending our territory while they kill eachother.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We are still better off leaving and defending our territory while they kill eachother.
    leaving, sure. But they will only grow in power. They need to be eliminated. We have nowhere near the will to do what needs doing. Therefore, we stand a fair to middling chance of being eventually defeated by them.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

leaving, sure. But they will only grow in power. They need to be eliminated. We have nowhere near the will to do what needs doing. Therefore, we stand a fair to middling chance of being eventually defeated by them.
    I think they are too dysfunctional to grow in power, I think they continue to kill eachother as they always have.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    One of the interesting angles they bring up is that Afghanistan is essentially a proxy war between the US and Pakistan. They also say that the Taliban may be evolving a bit to treat women a bit better.
    And THAT, my friend, is a deeply flawed bit of analysis. My wife was raised Muslim and when she turned 18 she ran from it for all her legs would take her. She will tell you that Islam regards women as 50th class, non-human entities that are out of control whores by nature and must be kept on brutally short leashes. She will also remind you that the only way to deal with them is to kill every last one of them - that coming from a woman whose family remains Muslim and who is one of the kindest and most generous human beings you will ever have the privilege of meeting. She is like this to a fault, which drives me to drink at times. Therefore, for such a person to make such a statement as "kill them all", one must take it under close advisement.

Then there is ISIS and all the other groups like Boka Haram (sp????) and so forth who treat women worse than $#@! and don't give the least whit of a damn what you or anyone else thinks about it.

Meaning that every last soul lost there left this earthly plane for no reason at all. What a felonious shame upon us all.

The fact is we are between a rock and a hard place. Those people need to be contained at the very least, if not genocided to the last withered soul. The Muslim is unfit to be among non-Muslims because of their fundamental world view. They should be segregated, shunned, and completely contained, both physically and economically. I would clip every network connection to that area of the world and put every Muslim physically there. Yeah, it's $#@!ty, but it is they who make this necessary. On the other side of that coin, America needs to get its foreign policy head out of its ass, because we have been significantly wrong on far too many issues for far too long.

As for Muslims, it is the Sunni Salafists that are radical. Look to Saudi Arabia if you are concerned about them. They sponsor and create radicalism in Pakistan/Afghanistan.
    Solution: nuke Mecca after consulting with the appropriate parties such as Russia. Then let the Muslim world know that if they don't settle the hell down, more of the same will be coming.

World's a hot mess and it's not all our fault.

BTW, this jihadist bull$#@! didn't start in Saudi, but Egypt with Sayed Kotb, whom Nasser had executed for precisely that. Too little too late, and so here we stand, eyeball deep in feces.
    Last edited by osan; 07-14-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I think they are too dysfunctional to grow in power, I think they continue to kill eachother as they always have.
    YOu may think it, but is it so? That is assumption nobody can afford to make.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    YOu may think it, but is it so? That is assumption nobody can afford to make.
    I think we can safely pull out and wait to see if they start to become a threat to us or not before we declare a crusade to exterminate them, they are far more likely to fight among themselves than to mount a credible assault on us.

What we do need to do is stop letting them infiltrate the west, we may end up needing to expel those that are already here as well.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment