Thread: Ukraine's president says ready to meet Russia's Putin in Minsk

Ukraine's president says ready to meet Russia's Putin in Minsk

Ukraine's new president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, said on Monday he was ready to meet Russian leader Vladimir Putin in Minsk for talks that he said should also involve Germany, Britain, the United States and France.Relations between Ukraine and Russia have been very strained since Moscow's annexation of the Crimean peninsula in 2014 and its support for armed separatists in the Donbass region of eastern Ukraine, in a conflict that has killed 13,000 people.
    A ceasefire agreement signed in the Belarussian capital Minsk in 2015, with French and German support, has had only limited success in ending hostilities.
    "And now I want to turn to Russian President Vladimir Putin. Need to talk? It is necessary. Let's discuss to whom Crimea belongs and who is not there in the Donbass," Zelenskiy said in a social media video, without elaborating.

The Kremlin said it would consider Zelenskiy's offer.
    "We need to understand whether there is a prospect for such a meeting, we need to understand what kind of new format is being proposed," the TASS news agency quoted Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov as saying.
    "This is a new initiative. Of course, it will be considered, but so far I cannot give any reaction."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/ukraines-pres...095211803.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has said he had a phone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin after an incident on the line of contact near Mariupol that killed four Ukrainian soldiers, Reuters reported Aug. 7. Zelenskiy also said he called on German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron to convene a new meeting of the Normandy Four format to help end the conflict.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...-near-mariupol

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Let's discuss to whom Crimea belongs and who is not there in the Donbass," Zelenskiy said
    I am sure Putin could easily the same logic about Kosovo and Serbia then. But lets be real Crimea is a done deal.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy announced Oct. 1 that Ukraine has agreed to a formula that envisions special status for the separatist regions of Donbas following local elections that would be supervised by the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe and international monitors, as well as conducted in accordance with Ukrainian law, the Kyiv Post reported.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...t-negotiations

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ukraine on Wednesday refused to pull back troops in its restive east, saying for the second time this week that continued shelling by pro-Russian separatists there precluded the implementation of a disengagement agreement.Moscow, however, said the door was still open for a fresh meeting of the leaders of Russia, Ukraine, France, and Germany to discuss resolving the five-year-long conflict in the Donbass region, in which U.N. monitors say more than 13,000 people have been killed.
    In a breakthrough this month, negotiators from Ukraine, Russia and the rebels agreed that Kiev would grant the rebel region special status and hold local elections there. Under the agreement, rebel fighters and Ukrainian troops would also pull back from the line of contact.
    But it remains unclear how exactly any of these steps would be implemented and the stalling of the easiest one - the troop pullback - could indicate that the actual settlement of the conflict remains a distant possibility.
    The pullback originally scheduled for Monday and then delayed until Wednesday has now been put off again because of continued shelling by the rebels, a spokesman for Ukraine's defense ministry said, adding that a straight week of strict ceasefire adherence was a prerequisite.
    Commenting on the delay, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said a successful pullback would have jump-started the implementation of peace accords, but it was up to the leaders of the countries known as the Normandy Four to decide whether to press ahead with a summit aimed at ending the conflict.
    "Let is see whether it (the pullback) happens or not in the end... (and if it fails) find out who is to blame for the failure," Peskov told reporters.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-peace...133214873.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The pullback originally scheduled for Monday and then delayed until Wednesday has now been put off again because of continued shelling by the rebels, a spokesman for Ukraine's defense ministry said
    We must believe this version of events because they would not report it if it were the reverse.
    "Every post is about Hillary and pedophilia. I love them both soooo much!!!!!!!" Zippyjuan