Thread: France Withholding Food from Quadraplegic

France Withholding Food from Quadraplegic

The highest appeals court in France has ordered Vincent Lambert's food supply to be cut off

Link
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    His wife and siblings agree with the court, only his parents disagree. I know that MY wife knows my desires better than my parents.

Nobody has the right to take a life.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Nobody has the right to take a life.
    It is not taking a life. It is refusing to keep one alive. He can't take care of himself, if his wife and siblings say that he wouldn't want to "live" that way, I would believe them. I wouldn't want to "live" that way either, my wife knows this.

According to Live Action, Lambert is described as partially conscious by some and in a vegetative state by others. He is not terminally ill nor is his health declining.
    He responds to certain sounds, can swallow, and is able to breathe on his own without assistance from a machine. His food and water has been administered through a gastric tube.
    After several years of trying to improve his condition, Lambert's medical team spoke with his wife in 2013 and recommended that his care should stop.
    The court’s decision to eliminate Lambert's food supply cannot be appealed, but his parents are threatening to file a complaint if he is not allowed to eat.

Just to add a little more context to the story. So in essence, he is no ordinary quadriplegic say like Christopher Reeves, he is a quadriplegic with a great deal of brain damage. His wife who is probably his guardian and MPA has decided that it is time to end the feeding tube and allow the man to rest in peace. This is not the govt coming in to execute a death sentence.

I know these sort of stories are very difficult to discuss but the more you know, the better when stating your opinion.

It is still starving a person to death.
    #NashvilleStrong

It is still starving a person to death.
    No it is not. It is not force feeding a person. He can't feed himself, starving him would be refusing him food.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    No it is not. It is not force feeding a person. He can't feed himself, starving him would be refusing him food.
    He is a human being with a heartbeat. They are going to starve him to death.
    #NashvilleStrong

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Terri Schiavo

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quadriplegia. Wasn't that a renowned album by some old-time British rock group?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

RPF don't cut me from the tube, ever, I want as many insurance dollars to go to keeping my brain-dead body alive as long as possible.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

I feel bad for the parents but I bet the wife and siblings are probably trying to follow the man's wishes. Even if I knew it was what one of my kids would want, I couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    RPF don't cut me from the tube, ever, I want as many insurance dollars to go to keeping my brain-dead body alive as long as possible.
    Me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

His parent ought to have the option of caring for him them selves. Personally I don't think I would want to live if I could not take care of myself. I think husbands and wives might discuss this type of thing more than children and their parents.

My own husband was on life support and could not breathe on his own. The hospital said he would not live and said we were prolonging the inevitable. He told me that he did not want to be kept alive by artificial means before this ever happened. His children insisted that they keep him on life support. He coded several times and was revived at the insistence of his children. The last time he coded his last move was to grab the hand of the person trying to revive him his children were finally able to realize he did not want to be revived. He was conscience until the very end and I could tell he was pleading with his eyes to his son to let him go. His children were so scared and so dependent on him. I let them have more say than me on these dissensions because I think they needed to feel like every thing that could be done was being done. I would have done things differently. I wanted them to take the tube out but his children did not want it and pleaded with me to not let them do it. So I complied. I have done work with hospice and I guess I could see things happening that I could not deny they saw it too but just did not want to face it but, eventually they did have to face it.

Now if my loved one could breathe and swallow on his own I might take exception to killing them by starvation. I know that the brain heals itself but it can take longer than insurance will cover and people want to wait. If they were responding to sound and people I would take them home and care for them myself. I think the parents of this person ought to have the option of taking care of him. His wife and siblings can walk away from his care if they want to. To me it does sound like the person in question may still have a will to live. I am glad that I am not in that situation.

He is a human being with a heartbeat. They are going to starve him to death.
    Being forced fed via a feeding tube, unable to move, talk, or wipe your own ass for the rest of your life sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me, let me starve to death.

I wouldn't want to be kept alive if I wasn't able to take care of myself.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

If you read the article, you would see he cried when he was told he was about to be starved to death.

He has now passed away.
    #NashvilleStrong

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you read the article, you would see he cried when he was told he was about to be starved to death.
    Just because he cried doesn't mean he didn't want to be allowed to die.

Nobody has the right to take a life. It’s a slippery slope. The line was crossed in England with Baby Alfie. Now it has been crossed in France. You all are in denial if you think it’s not going to happen here.
    #NashvilleStrong