Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 72

Thread: China is erasing its border with Hong Kong

  1. #1

    China is erasing its border with Hong Kong

    I go to China and Hong Kong a lot. Mainland China is a PITA to get into, but at Hong Kong, I just show my airline ID and a guy just checks my name on the Crew manifest. No passport or bag scan.

    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

    Short Income Tax Video

    The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

    The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

    Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Fresh political violence broke out in Hong Kong on Sunday night as riot police baton-charged anti-government protesters seeking to keep the pressure up on the city's pro-Beijing leaders, after a mass rally outside a train station linking the finance hub to mainland China.Hong Kong has been rocked by a month of huge marches as well as separate violent confrontations with police involving a minority of hardcore protesters, sparked by a law that would have allowed extraditions to mainland China.
    Sunday's clashes came hours after the first demonstration since young, masked protesters stormed parliament on Monday, plunging the city into an unprecedented crisis.


    Earlier on Sunday tens of thousands of people snaked through streets in the harbour-front district of Tsim Sha Tsui, an area popular with Chinese tourists, ending their march at a high-speed train terminus that connects to the mainland.
    The march was billed as an opportunity to explain to mainlanders in the city what their protest movement is about given the massive censorship that Beijing's leaders wield.
    It passed without incident.
    But late Sunday police wielding batons and shields charged protesters to disperse a few hundreds demonstrators who had refused to leave.
    AFP reporters saw multiple demonstrators detained by police after the fracas, their wrists bound with plastic handcuffs.
    By early Monday only pockets of demontrators remained with police occupying key intersections around the protest area.

    More at: https://news.yahoo.com/latest-hong-k...095319964.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  4. #3
    The Internet sucks in mainland China, especially in Beijing. Hong Kong is like here.
    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

    Short Income Tax Video

    The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

    The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

    Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    The Internet sucks in mainland China, especially in Beijing. Hong Kong is like here.
    For how long?
    "The Patriarch"

    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Now a days the future freedoms of ones posterity is less important than the freedom today to insert what one wants into ones posterior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is a lie.
    @Brian4Liberty, devil keeps spreading this lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I will report violations of the forum rules to the forum staff when they are egregious enough.

    You should remember that.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    For how long?
    Right, I suspect many in H.K. will flee to Taiwan as Taiwanese did years ago to escape communist rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    It is a deconstructionist society. In an age of overload of information, truth of words has become irrelevant. Truth of meaning is all that is left.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    You can't even handle freedom in the fake world.
    2 + 2 = 5.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    For how long?
    If China tries to take HK's freedoms, the US may have to intervene and do it first
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    If China tries to take HK's freedoms, the US may have to intervene and do it first
    You mean if they try to spread their freedom we should do it first. Because as we all know, central authority is freedom, ours is just exceptional.
    "The Patriarch"

    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Now a days the future freedoms of ones posterity is less important than the freedom today to insert what one wants into ones posterior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is a lie.
    @Brian4Liberty, devil keeps spreading this lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I will report violations of the forum rules to the forum staff when they are egregious enough.

    You should remember that.

  9. #8
    Supporting Member
    Virgin Islands
    Mach's Avatar


    Posts
    3,456
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Why don't the media call the Hong Kongers racist, and prejudice for trying to keep those Chinese foreigners out of their country?

    Invading and changing a whole countries successful, cultural, social and economic ways is not right.... unless it's America?

    And those people that push all of this cultural change will tell you that Communism is good, too.
    If the stampman tells you to kiss his ass, shall he get away with it and live? Don't let your courage cool, or a few bullies scare you. We've nothing to fear but slavery. Love your liberty, and fight for it like men who know its value. Once lost it will never, never be regained.
    -Hugh Ledlie, 1774.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I go to China and Hong Kong a lot. Mainland China is a PITA to get into, but at Hong Kong, I just show my airline ID and a guy just checks my name on the Crew manifest. No passport or bag scan.

    At 13:15 - “But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother”
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    ďThey are what they hate.Ē - B4L


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  12. #10
    In an unexpected, if not outright bizarre concession by Beijing to protesters, on Tuesday morning Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam gave her strongest pledge yet when she declared the highly unpopular extradition bill that sparked several mass protests was “dead”, changing from an earlier script that it “will die” in 2020, according to the SCMP.
    Climb down. For #HongKong government - and, in turn, Beijing - at least for now. #China (News flashes below) pic.twitter.com/s1faRfpu4H
    — Eunice Yoon (@onlyyoontv) July 9, 2019
    "I have almost immediately put a stop to the (bill) amendment exercise, but there are still lingering doubts about the government’s sincerity, or worries whether the government will restart the process in the legislative council, so I reiterate here: There is no such plan, the bill is dead."
    Addressing the month-long drama during a news conference, she reiterated that there is no plan to restart the legislation, describing the work to amend the bill as a “total failure.” Meanwhile, she said she would take full responsibility for what has happened in the city, according to a translation of her address.
    However, just like Erdogan's surprisingly muted reaction to the loss of Istanbul in the local election re-run two weeks ago was a Trojan horse to the leader's true intentions, unveiled this past weekend with his sacking of the central bank chief, confirming that nothing has changed and the Turkish "executive president" is digging himself even deeper as the country's unchecked, executive power, we would urge readers not to read too much into this soundbite: as the SCMP notes, whether the bill was effectively withdrawn – as demanded by protesters – remained unclear, as Lam did not say that she is officially withdrawing the bill, raising questions about to what extent the measure could be revived in the future. Additionally, Lam stood firm on not setting up a top-level probe into clashes between police and protesters. Meanwhile, an independent study will be looking into police behavior during the protests, she said, asking for some time to “improve the current situation.”
    Lam noted those concerns in Cantonese remarks, via CNBC.
    “What I’m saying today is nothing really different from what I said before. But maybe the citizens need to hear a definitive saying (from me),” Lam said, according to a translation of those comments. “So saying that the extradition bill is now in the coffin is the more definitive way of saying it, which means, the bill is dead. Hence, everyone doesn’t need to worry whether there will be any tactics that the discussion of the bill will resume in this Legislative Council term.”


    Yet in a hint that a wave of "behind the scenes" retaliation was coming, Lam said the Independent Police Complaints Council would be launching an investigation, and that all parties involved in the demonstrations, including protesters, police, media and onlookers, could provide information.
    Ever the Beijing-trained bureaucrat, the chief executive, speaking before meeting her advisers in the Executive Council, reiterated that the government did not call a protest on June 12, during which there were violent clashes between police and mostly young protesters, a “riot”. And even as she suggested that all those who had "rioted" may be facing penalties, Lam also said she was “willing to engage in an open dialogue with students without any preconditions”, sending a barrage of mixed messages.
    Whether this is just a gambit to ease tension in the town where just yesterday a fresh round of protests shut down the main shopping area, or a genuine gesture, student leaders from eight universities balked, and turned down her request for a small-scale and closed-door meeting on Friday, and said they would only talk to Lam if she agreed to their two preconditions: meet them in a town hall-style open meeting and promise to exonerate protesters.
    At the same time, protesters have been urging the government to respond to other demands: withdraw the bill completely, retract all references to the protest on June 12 as a riot; set up a commission of inquiry to examine police use of force; and launch democratic reforms. A demand for Lam to resign appears to have gradually faded away.

    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...after-protests
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  13. #11
    Protesters clashed with police forces in Hong Kong on July 7 after demonstrators rallied against the controversial extradition bill that already led to previous rounds of protests in the past weeks, the South China Morning Post reported. Meanwhile, anti-government activists have called for withdrawals of funds from the Bank of China to "stress test" the institution.

    More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...shift-strategy
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  14. #12
    Well over a month after the latest bout of Hong Kong street protests erupted, the situation remains tense as ever when more than seven hours after the start of a major march against Hong Kong's now-suspended extradition bill, riot police in Hong Kong fired rounds of tear gas on protesters along Connaught Road Central, following skirmishes and a tense stand-off.

    In an unexpected twist, the SCMP reports that in a darker turn of events on Sunday, a group of men in white suspected to be triad members attacked passengers at Yuen Long MTR station, particularly those wearing black, the color of protesters.
    Things turning ugly in Yuen Long - Thugs broke through the MTR gate and attacked people gathering in yuen long mtr station #antiELAB @SCMPNews pic.twitter.com/UQc81Qgv4n
    — Jeffie Lam (@jeffielam) July 21, 2019
    Confirming that China appears to be getting rather jittery, but instead of sending in the army is deploying it less "reputable" elements, a reported noted "absolutely astonishing scenes in Yuen Long, where Triad members clad in white are attacking anyone suspected of being a pro-democracy demonstrator (people wearing black are a target as that’s been the dress code for some marches, hence why triads are all in white)."
    Meanwhile, absolutely astonishing scenes in Yuen Long, where Triad members clad in white are attacking anyone suspected of being a pro-democracy demonstrator (people wearing black are a target as that’s been the dress code for some marches, hence why triads are all in white). pic.twitter.com/lo13nRGp0L
    — Jack Hazlewood (@JackHHazlewood) July 21, 2019
    And yes, there will be blood.
    The blood stains left behind in yoho mall after the thugs stormed the mtr station and hit people pic.twitter.com/J99BLae7dJ
    — Jeffie Lam (@jeffielam) July 21, 2019
    The Civil Human Rights Front, the organiser of the march earlier in the day, said 430,000 people attended while police put the figure at 138,000 at its peak.
    Crowds then advanced beyond the original police-mandated end point at Wan Chai to Queensway and Central, where they began occupying main thoroughfares of Connaught Road Central and Connaught Road West, blocking vehicles from getting through and putting up wooden barricades. Another group of protesters advanced towards the liaison office.
    Demonstrators also gathered outside the Court of Final Appeal, the initial finishing point of the march organizers had pushed for but police disallowed. By 7pm, crowds reached Beijing's liaison office in Sai Ying Pun. No police were seen guarding the building but a number of security guards were inside.
    Meanwhile, back on Hong Kong Island, protesters have mostly left Sheung Wan, where police earlier fired several volleys of tear gas. A protester was using a loudspeaker to warn people against going back to Yuen Long, saying: “They'll hit you even if you change your clothes.”

    Police at the scene look more relaxed, some sitting down on the road behind shields. At last check the situation appeared to be back under control, with occasional bouts of violence breaking out.

    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...members-attack
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  15. #13
    A few days after another round of violent protests rocked Hong Kong, Beijing on Wednesday issued its harshest warning yet to the citizens of Hong Kong: It sought to remind them that Beijing has the authority to mobilize the People's Liberation Army garrison in Hong Kong if it felt that the central government's authority was threatened.
    The New York Times reports that the warning was part of the unveiling of the Communist Party's new "defense strategy" which relied heavily on demonizing the western powers - an oblique reference to the US and the UK - for encouraging the protests.


    Citing the Sunday protests, Senior Col. Wu Qian, a spokesman for China's defense ministry, implied that the destructive behavior - protesters painted the central government's liaison office with graffiti, the latest example of the extradition bill protests leading to the vandalism of government buildings - was swiftly straining the patience of Beijing.
    "The behavior of some radical protesters challenges the central government’s authority, touching on the bottom line principle of 'one country, two systems,'" Colonel Wu said during a news conference in Beijing where he laid out the government's new strategy. "That absolutely cannot be tolerated."
    When pressed, Wu said that "Article 14 of the Garrison Law has clear stipulations," and refused to elaborate, the SCMP reports.
    Hong Kong's government would need to request the garrison's assistance, like it does during a natural disaster.
    In response, a spokesman for the Hong Kong government said on Wednesday that the city was "fully capable" of dealing with its own affairs.
    "There is no need to ask for assistance from the garrison," he said.
    Eric Chan Kwok-ki, director of the Chief Executive’s Office, dismissed Wu's reference to the Garrison law, suggesting that it wasn't a threat.

    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ests-dont-stop
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  16. #14
    Like Mexico saying its erasing its border with the US , where's their downside....

  17. #15
    Massive anti-Beijing protests which have gripped Hong Kong over the past month, and have become increasingly violent as both an overwhelmed local police force and counter-protesters have hit back with force, are threatening to escalate on a larger geopolitical scale after the White House weighed in this week.
    With China fast losing patience, there are new reports of a significant build-up of Chinese security forces on Hong Kong's border, as Bloomberg reports:
    The White House is monitoring what a senior administration official called a congregation of Chinese forces on Hong Kong’s border.


    For now, few details are known concerning the reported Chinese "build-up" on the border, which could consist of military forces, as Bloomberg added to its report:
    The nature of the Chinese buildup wasn’t clear; the official said that units of the Chinese military or armed police had gathered at the border with Hong Kong. The official briefed reporters on condition he not be identified.
    The timing of the back and forth unsubstantiated allegations is interesting especially in light of President Trump seeking to reinvigorate stalled trade deal negotiations with China, currently being conducted in Shanghai following the ceasefire to the trade war.

    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...e-house-source

    https://twitter.com/Jkylebass/status...77822580842496

    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  18. #16
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    While the world is transfixed by the fireworks unleashed by the plunge in China's yen to a record low, the real geopolitical hotspot for China remains Hong Kong, and there things are getting progressively uglier following Monday morning's press conference by Karrie Lam who once again said she will not resign, and warned that "some people" have put Hong Kong in a very dangerous situation as protesters' actions challenge the "one country, two systems" model and threaten prosperity by seeking to ruin the city by calling for "revolution" or the "liberation of Hong Kong."
    Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam on why she will not resign: "I don't think at this point in time resignation of myself or some of my colleagues will provide a better solution." https://t.co/mADFNtmUa3 pic.twitter.com/C3KHxf2Aen
    — Bloomberg Next China (@next_china) August 5, 2019
    In a press conference in which Lam was flanked by eight top officials, including chief secretary, chiefs of finance, commerce, transport, security, health and civil service as well as home affairs undersecretary, she said she is taking responsibility by staying on to serve, arguing that resignations by her or others won't help (several million protesters would beg to differ). Her solution: "Upholding the rule of law is the way out", by which she means the people conceding to Beijing's demands.
    "Such extensive disruptions in the name of certain demands or uncooperative movement have seriously undermined Hong Kong’s law and order, pushing our city, the city we all love and many of us helped to build, to the verge of a very dangerous situation,” Carrie Lam says.
    "The government will be resolute in maintaining law and order of Hong Kong and restoring confidence" she said, adding that "we all love Hong Kong and have made various contributions to its stability and prosperity ... it’s time to say no to chaos and violence."
    The only problem is that the only ones who are eager to say "no to chaos and violence" are various Triad-linked thugs, and of course, the Chinese People's Liberation Army, which according to report is massing on the Hong Kong border, just waiting for the green light to, well, "liberate."
    Additionally, Lam said that protests have already deviated from the original demand, Lam said. She didn't say much on calls for an independent inquiry into police action and recent events. The General Chamber of Commerce has joined protesters in calling for an inquiry.
    In a surprising reversal from prior periods when China would sternly ignore the events in Hong Kong, today even the People's Daily tweeted account has been following every twist in the much anticipated Lam presser, quoting her verbatim as mainland China's attention is now squarely focused on how Beijing will quell the Hong Kong rebellion.
    #HongKong is on the verge of a very dangerous situation; HK govt respects protestors’ rights to express opinions but they should also respect others’ rights, HK Chief Executive Carrie Lam said Mon, adding that an emergency mechanism has been put in place to deal with Mon strikes. pic.twitter.com/mZu1BmqYuf
    — People's Daily, China (@PDChina) August 5, 2019
    Meanwhile, financial Secretary Paul Chan warned Hong Kong risks a recession on protests and outside factors like trade.
    He may be on to something: on Monday, a paralysing citywide strike as part of the escalating anti-government protests forced Hong Kong airport authorities to cancel some 230 flights on Monday morning. Air traffic controllers have called in sick en masse, echoing the actions of an estimated 500,000 Hongkongers from more than 20 business sectors.
    The number of flights that can take off, or land, has been affected as a result, and authorities said only one of the two runways would be in operation from midday on Monday until 6am on Tuesday. Only 34 flights would be permitted per hour during that, instead of up to the 68 per hour that normally take off from the city’s international airport, according to SCMP, with flights across Asia bearing the brunt of the cancellations.
    Trains and planes are also being disrupted, with multiple subway lines suspended or delayed and hundreds of flights canceled.

    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...rous-situation
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  21. #18
    I've been thinking about this quite a lot lately as I do often go to Asia for my biz.

    I can't think of any other scenarios of saving (free) HK from being fully absorbed by (communist) China, other than America getting involved and including some sort of extended autonomous status for HK into the China/US trade war, which isn't really even realistic in itself.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the US already has assets in HK for years now figuring out how to get the HK people to stand up for themselves. China could easily engulf HK but they risk scaring away all of the big capital that rests in HK. Then again, what does losing a few million HK'ers even matter to China? They could fill that city easily with rich mainland Chinese and a new economic model and it wouldn't make a huge dent in the overall China picture. But they would definitely lose many points in the soft power scale.

    A very tough position for us all.
    How to plug a TWEET in post [ TWEET] [/TWEET ]

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    I've been thinking about this quite a lot lately as I do often go to Asia for my biz.

    I can't think of any other scenarios of saving (free) HK from being fully absorbed by (communist) China, other than America getting involved and including some sort of extended autonomous status for HK into the China/US trade war, which isn't really even realistic in itself.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the US already has assets in HK for years now figuring out how to get the HK people to stand up for themselves. China could easily engulf HK but they risk scaring away all of the big capital that rests in HK. Then again, what does losing a few million HK'ers even matter to China? They could fill that city easily with rich mainland Chinese and a new economic model and it wouldn't make a huge dent in the overall China picture. But they would definitely lose many points in the soft power scale.

    A very tough position for us all.
    HK may survive if China collapses first.

    We need to stay out of it no matter what happens.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I go to China and Hong Kong a lot. Mainland China is a PITA to get into, but at Hong Kong, I just show my airline ID and a guy just checks my name on the Crew manifest. No passport or bag scan.

    You were travelling to Hong Kong without being asked to show a Passport as recently as this year? I had no idea that was possible.

  24. #21
    HK would flourish if china collapsed first but I doubt it works out , if china is collapsing they would probably invade and loot what they could. The entire country is only 8 decades removed from all being murderous looters . My guess is it kicks back in pretty quick .
    Do something Danke

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    HK would flourish if china collapsed first but I doubt it works out , if china is collapsing they would probably invade and loot what they could. The entire country is only 8 decades removed from all being murderous looters . My guess is it kicks back in pretty quick .
    You are probably right.

    HK is doomed and really has been since the handover, the brits should have given them to Taiwan or granted them independence instead of giving them to the ChiComs but the brits were following globalist orders.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  26. #23
    The situation in Hong Kong is rapidly deteriorating, with violence breaking out in seven locations Monday afternoon as the citywide strike crippled transportation.

    What were supposed to be peaceful sit-ins in different districts turned into riots, "with Wong Tai Sin and Harcourt Road seeing the most intense confrontations as protesters kneel instead of flee, to shield themselves while tear gas rounds and sponge grenades rain on them," according to SCMP.
    VIDEO: ���� Hong Kong police launch rounds of tear gas and try to clear pro-democracy protesters who had gathered near a police dormitory in the working-class district of #WongTaiSin #HongKongProtests pic.twitter.com/GkuCBM0DCV
    — AFP news agency (@AFP) August 5, 2019
    Protesters threw a suspected gasoline bomb at police after first being attacked by bricks.
    20:00 A suspected gasoline bomb was thrown by protesters to the police who were resting on Tai Po Tai Wo road near the crossroad with Nam Wan Rd. The police were attacked suddenly first by bricks from the protesters and then the bomb. #antiELAB pic.twitter.com/hyv8YLhKxH
    — Karen Zhang (@karenised) August 5, 2019
    Riot police used crowd control measures in at least five locations - targeting those filing the streets. 82 people were arrested for offences including rioting, unlawful assembly, assaulting a police officer, obstructing police and possession of offensive weapons.
    Tear gas in Admiralty #anyielab pic.twitter.com/zSWxuV87lm
    — Neil Taylor (@mrneiltaylor) August 5, 2019
    Fighting broke out between protesters and local residents, while reports of 'white shirted' men believed to be triad gang members began beating protesters as the evening devolved.
    #LIVE: A group of white-shirted men brandishing rods are attacking protesters in North Point https://t.co/4zOXMH4fU9 #HongKongProtests pic.twitter.com/ipmIct6zXV
    — SCMP News (@SCMPNews) August 5, 2019
    BREAKING - Fighting has broken out at North Point between Protesters and local residents. #HongKongProtests #HongKong pic.twitter.com/6MarDFjeAP
    — Michael Zhang 張雨軒 (@YuxuanMichael) August 5, 2019
    Here's the aftermath. Protesters chased the men with sticks up the hill and broke the windows of a residential building. To clarify, unclear if men with sticks are residents. Overheard some speaking in Cantonese and some speaking Mandarin. #HongKong pic.twitter.com/aN0bFZoaHH
    — Michael Zhang 張雨軒 (@YuxuanMichael) August 5, 2019
    Via CNN Protesters also started a fire at the Tuen Mun police station after spray painting its wall with profanities:

    #LIVE: Protesters set fires at and besiege police stations, throw national flag into water as chaos reigns across Hong Kong https://t.co/4zOXMH4fU9 #HongKongProtests pic.twitter.com/lVesmONDUt
    — SCMP News (@SCMPNews) August 5, 2019
    One woman was paraded through the streets after her underwear had been either removed or fallen off during her arrest.




    In response to the unrest, Cathay Pacific airlines canceled over 150 flights and urged passengers to postpone non-essential travel according to CNN.

    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...riads-are-back
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  27. #24


    Conservative commentator Kurt Schlichter pointed out one very sobering detail about these protests:
    “Note that HK citizens have no guns. Watch what happens to them. It’s coming. And I expect the Chinese will combine it with this trade war business to take the sanctions hit all at once.”
    Note that HK citizens have no guns. Watch what happens to them. It’s coming. And I expect the Chinese will combine it with this trade war business to take the sanctions hit all at once.@thomasbsauer https://t.co/e3OMwXdOUh
    — Kurt Schlichter (@KurtSchlichter) August 5, 2019
    Then a poster followed up on Schlichter’s tweet thread with an image of a Hong Kong protestor holding a sign saying, “We need the 2nd Amendment.”
    Spotted at a protest in HK pic.twitter.com/NyZx3IAIoQ
    — Vincent LaGuardia Gambini (@v_laguardia) August 5, 2019

    This demonstrates how lucky Americans are compared to other people around the world.
    Although gun laws at the federal level still need work, Americans enjoy strong gun freedoms globally speaking.
    In the Hong Kong case, this could be a matter of life or death, considering the Chinese government’s repressive nature.
    The Tiananmen Square massacre of 1989 conjures up lurid imagery of the what the Chinese government is capable of doing to its citizens when it’s pressed against the wall.

    More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/hong-k...mendment-sign/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You are probably right.

    HK is doomed and really has been since the handover, the brits should have given them to Taiwan or granted them independence instead of giving them to the ChiComs but the brits were following globalist orders.
    In my mind, HK is already gone.

    Yes if China collapsed, I suppose HK could still last but it really is just a matter of time. When does the SAR status end, 2047? only 27 years away.

    In my last trip to China, I discussed with one of my friends who is also quite the businessman (also very pro-CCP), he thought China would leave HK as a special administrative region even after the grace period is over.

    Really the only way is for HK'ers to stand up and refuse China at all costs and hope they back off. HK isn't a situation like Taiwan where HK still claims independence. UK gave HK away so there really is no talk of independence there. Maybe if HK'ers took over the gov and joined Taiwan in rebellion but even Taiwan is going to be welcoming a pro-Taiwan (but also supposedly secretly pro-Beijing) President (han guo yu) in the next election.

    I don't think China would invade HK but they are communists and they are desperate, so who knows what could happen...
    How to plug a TWEET in post [ TWEET] [/TWEET ]

  30. #26
    Bet that the US strengthens its treaties with Taiwan asap and a fresh round of arms sales.

    OMG, I searched this topic after I posted. I had no idea there is an arms deal in the works and China is upset about it. Demands the US cancel it.

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...48E6&FORM=VIRE

    https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/we...s-us-arms-deal


    Taiwan Defends US Arms Deal
    Taiwan Defends US Arms Deal
    7/13/2019 | 10:41 AM CDT
    AddThis Sharing Buttons

    TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) -- Taiwan on Saturday defended a proposal to purchase $2.2 billion in arms from the U.S., following a Chinese announcement that it would sanction any American companies involved in the deal.

    U.S. weapons help strengthen Taiwan's self-defense in the face of a growing military threat from China, the defense ministry said.

    "The national army will continue to strengthen its key defense forces, ensure national security, protect its homeland and ensure that the fruits of freedom and democracy won't be attacked," the ministry said in a statement.

    China announced late Friday that it would impose sanctions on any U.S. enterprises involved in the deal, saying it "undermines China's sovereignty and national security."
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 08-05-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    It is a deconstructionist society. In an age of overload of information, truth of words has become irrelevant. Truth of meaning is all that is left.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    You can't even handle freedom in the fake world.
    2 + 2 = 5.

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    In my mind, HK is already gone.

    Yes if China collapsed, I suppose HK could still last but it really is just a matter of time. When does the SAR status end, 2047? only 27 years away.

    In my last trip to China, I discussed with one of my friends who is also quite the businessman (also very pro-CCP), he thought China would leave HK as a special administrative region even after the grace period is over.

    Really the only way is for HK'ers to stand up and refuse China at all costs and hope they back off. HK isn't a situation like Taiwan where HK still claims independence. UK gave HK away so there really is no talk of independence there. Maybe if HK'ers took over the gov and joined Taiwan in rebellion but even Taiwan is going to be welcoming a pro-Taiwan (but also supposedly secretly pro-Beijing) President (han guo yu) in the next election.

    I don't think China would invade HK but they are communists and they are desperate, so who knows what could happen...
    I think China is cornered and wounded and likely to lash out violently in almost any direction.

    The only chance HK has is if China collapses very soon and so rapidly that they can't deal with HK.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  32. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Bet that the US strengthens its treaties with Taiwan asap and a fresh round of arms sales.

    OMG, I searched this topic after I posted. I had no idea there is an arms deal in the works and China is upset about it. Demands the US cancel it.

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...48E6&FORM=VIRE

    https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/we...s-us-arms-deal


    Taiwan Defends US Arms Deal
    Taiwan Defends US Arms Deal
    7/13/2019 | 10:41 AM CDT
    AddThis Sharing Buttons

    TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) -- Taiwan on Saturday defended a proposal to purchase $2.2 billion in arms from the U.S., following a Chinese announcement that it would sanction any American companies involved in the deal.

    U.S. weapons help strengthen Taiwan's self-defense in the face of a growing military threat from China, the defense ministry said.

    "The national army will continue to strengthen its key defense forces, ensure national security, protect its homeland and ensure that the fruits of freedom and democracy won't be attacked," the ministry said in a statement.

    China announced late Friday that it would impose sanctions on any U.S. enterprises involved in the deal, saying it "undermines China's sovereignty and national security."
    We really do live in interesting times.

    The US v China; tug o war over Taiwan without going into physical confrontations.

    Seems like the only peaceful solution is to just keep kicking the bucket down the road and Taiwan being left alone but never fully independent.
    How to plug a TWEET in post [ TWEET] [/TWEET ]

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    You were travelling to Hong Kong without being asked to show a Passport as recently as this year? I had no idea that was possible.
    I think it depends on which country you come from. As being part of a Crew, no passport needed. But I suspect regular passengers need to show one. And I know if you are from countries like the Philippines, a visa. The Philippine workers there regularly have to fly back to the Philippines to renew their Visas as they are only for a short duration. Everyone speaks English for the most part. Some of the bars give me a crew discount.

    If you are into charity, a lot of the domestic workers are kicked out of the homes they work in on Sunday, as the families that employ them want that day to themselves. So rather than letting them spend that night on the streets (they are all over the place usually in groups) you can offer one or more a nice clean 5 star hotel room to spend the night in...so I have heard...
    Last edited by Danke; 08-05-2019 at 11:39 PM.
    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

    Short Income Tax Video

    The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

    The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

    Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

  34. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    While the world is transfixed by the fireworks unleashed by the plunge in China's yen to a record low, the real geopolitical hotspot for China remains Hong Kong, and there things are getting progressively uglier following Monday morning's press conference by Karrie Lam who once again said she will not resign, and warned that "some people" have put Hong Kong in a very dangerous situation as protesters' actions challenge the "one country, two systems" model and threaten prosperity by seeking to ruin the city by calling for "revolution" or the "liberation of Hong Kong."
    Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam on why she will not resign: "I don't think at this point in time resignation of myself or some of my colleagues will provide a better solution." https://t.co/mADFNtmUa3 pic.twitter.com/C3KHxf2Aen
    — Bloomberg Next China (@next_china) August 5, 2019
    In a press conference in which Lam was flanked by eight top officials, including chief secretary, chiefs of finance, commerce, transport, security, health and civil service as well as home affairs undersecretary, she said she is taking responsibility by staying on to serve, arguing that resignations by her or others won't help (several million protesters would beg to differ). Her solution: "Upholding the rule of law is the way out", by which she means the people conceding to Beijing's demands.
    "Such extensive disruptions in the name of certain demands or uncooperative movement have seriously undermined Hong Kong’s law and order, pushing our city, the city we all love and many of us helped to build, to the verge of a very dangerous situation,” Carrie Lam says.
    "The government will be resolute in maintaining law and order of Hong Kong and restoring confidence" she said, adding that "we all love Hong Kong and have made various contributions to its stability and prosperity ... it’s time to say no to chaos and violence."
    The only problem is that the only ones who are eager to say "no to chaos and violence" are various Triad-linked thugs, and of course, the Chinese People's Liberation Army, which according to report is massing on the Hong Kong border, just waiting for the green light to, well, "liberate."
    Additionally, Lam said that protests have already deviated from the original demand, Lam said. She didn't say much on calls for an independent inquiry into police action and recent events. The General Chamber of Commerce has joined protesters in calling for an inquiry.
    In a surprising reversal from prior periods when China would sternly ignore the events in Hong Kong, today even the People's Daily tweeted account has been following every twist in the much anticipated Lam presser, quoting her verbatim as mainland China's attention is now squarely focused on how Beijing will quell the Hong Kong rebellion.
    #HongKong is on the verge of a very dangerous situation; HK govt respects protestors’ rights to express opinions but they should also respect others’ rights, HK Chief Executive Carrie Lam said Mon, adding that an emergency mechanism has been put in place to deal with Mon strikes. pic.twitter.com/mZu1BmqYuf
    — People's Daily, China (@PDChina) August 5, 2019
    Meanwhile, financial Secretary Paul Chan warned Hong Kong risks a recession on protests and outside factors like trade.
    He may be on to something: on Monday, a paralysing citywide strike as part of the escalating anti-government protests forced Hong Kong airport authorities to cancel some 230 flights on Monday morning. Air traffic controllers have called in sick en masse, echoing the actions of an estimated 500,000 Hongkongers from more than 20 business sectors.
    The number of flights that can take off, or land, has been affected as a result, and authorities said only one of the two runways would be in operation from midday on Monday until 6am on Tuesday. Only 34 flights would be permitted per hour during that, instead of up to the 68 per hour that normally take off from the city’s international airport, according to SCMP, with flights across Asia bearing the brunt of the cancellations.
    Trains and planes are also being disrupted, with multiple subway lines suspended or delayed and hundreds of flights canceled.

    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...rous-situation
    Just flew out of there Monday, August 5. Only delay we had was for a runway change. The subways were shut down by protestors, but we got to the airport, no problem.

    We left right around noon, it might have been a problem for later flights.
    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

    Short Income Tax Video

    The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

    The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

    Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Hong Kong and Taiwan Are Bonding Over China
    By Swordsmyth in forum World News & Affairs
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: Yesterday, 10:41 PM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-01-2019, 04:53 PM
  3. 1000s March In Hong Kong Protests At China Repression
    By Swordsmyth in forum World News & Affairs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2019, 11:37 PM
  4. China Allows Trade Settlement in Yuan in Hong Kong
    By reagle in forum Economy & Markets
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 05:25 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 11:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •