Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: China is erasing its border with Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I know some guys in Hong Kong as well.

I reckon we could get Danke out of there...he might have to do some time in the galley for payment.
    Making sammiches?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I think it depends on which country you come from. As being part of a Crew, no passport needed. But I suspect regular passengers need to show one. And I know if you are from countries like the Philippines, a visa. The Philippine workers there regularly have to fly back to the Philippines to renew their Visas as they are only for a short duration. Everyone speaks English for the most part. Some of the bars give me a crew discount.

If you are into charity, a lot of the domestic workers are kicked out of the homes they work in on Sunday, as the families that employ them want that day to themselves. So rather than letting them spend that night on the streets (they are all over the place usually in groups) you can offer one or more a nice clean 5 star hotel room to spend the night in...so I have heard...
    Edit. And HB. The slut can come along if she likes. But I'm not buying her drinks. Some drunk Chinaman can do that. Or men in her case.
    You wouldn't even buy a slut drinks with a crew discount? I ain't going anywhere with your cheap ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    You wouldn't even buy a slut drinks with a crew discount? I ain't going anywhere with your cheap ass.

I don't think I'll be leaving the hotel:

• Thursday, August 15: Protests at the Dharma Assembly at 20:00. This location is on Hong Kong Island.
    • Friday, August 16: Protest at the Revenue Tower. This is right next to the pilot crew hotel.
    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EBeWUwwVAAEWJo5.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	6910

Name:	EBpISiVU8AYxozn.jpg 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	6909

Name:	pepe-scan-me.jpg 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	6911

Name:	EBpOaXpUYAAirz3.jpg 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	6912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB3IOBJU8AMl3Um.jpg 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	6913

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Name:	EBeWUwwVAAEWJo5.jpg 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	6910

Name:	EBpISiVU8AYxozn.jpg 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	6909

Name:	pepe-scan-me.jpg 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	6911

Name:	EBpOaXpUYAAirz3.jpg 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	6912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB3IOBJU8AMl3Um.jpg 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	6913
    Stay safe.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 10.13.13 AM-2.png 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	6928

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    In Hong Kong they are singing our national anthem and screaming to have a 2nd Amendment. In America we have people trying to get rid of the 2nd Amendment and crying to have the national anthem outlawed. The people of Hong Kong seem to have a better understanding of freedom than that of Americans.
    We need to offer asylum to them and give them voting rights.

Prominent Hong Kong pro-independence political activist Chen Haotian has called for a run on Chinese banks, asking that everyone withdraw their money on the same day.

Haotian is a founding member and the convenor of the Hong Kong National Party.
    Arguing that large scale protests have only led to injuries and escalating police brutality, Haotian believes another method could be used to severely undermine China’s influence – a good old fashioned run on the bank.
    He suggested that another method could be used, namely, impacting the financial system,” reports China Press.
    “He called on Friday (August 16) that Hong Kong citizens take out all bank deposits. The primary goal is Chinese banks, but he said other banks should also be targeted, otherwise Chinese banks can borrow money from other banks to solve problems.”
    Hong Kong has been rocked by weeks of violent protests by pro-independence campaigners. Earlier this week, riot police stormed Hong Kong International Airport to clear them out.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...calls-run-bank

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Like the old saying goes, if you can't beat them, bribe them.
    After 10 weeks of violent unrest that has practically paralyzed the city, the Hong Kong government is starting to reckon with exactly how much all of this chaos has cost its economy. And to help soften the blow (and maybe help assuage the people's anger, or at least stop it from getting worse), Hong Kong's government announced a stimulus package worth more than $2 billion.
    Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan said Thursday that he now expects HK GDP to grow between 0% and 1% this year, down from earlier forecasts of 2% to 3%.
    Here's more from SCMP:
    "If growth does hit 0 to 1 per cent, this will be the worst situation we have faced since 2009," he said, referring to the global financial crisis. Chan spelt out a total of seven measures to support enterprises and safeguard jobs, as well as seven other initiatives to relieve people’s burden.
    Chan spelt out a total of seven measures to support enterprises and safeguard jobs, as well as seven other initiatives to relieve people’s burden.
    "If Hong Kong’s economy grows in the third quarter at a similar pace to the second, the city will be technically in a recession," Chan said.
    These dour economic pronouncements come as Hong Kong enters its 11th week of unrest - unrest that was instigated by an extradition bill that city executive Carrie Lam had tried to fast track. The bill would have allowed the mainland to more easily arrest people in Hong Kong then extradite them to the mainland, but after just a few weeks of demonstrations, including one particularly tense episode, Lam suspended the bill, but has refused to let it expire.

Now, with Lam's popularity at an all time low, her government has announced a handful of measures. One personal income tax cut is estimated to cost HK$1.84 billion ($235 million) and benefit 1.4 million people, or roughly one-sixth of Hong Kongers.
    In total, the new measures will cost HK$19.1 billion, Chan said.

"The extra budget measures may help relieve pressures of small businesses and households but may not be enough to stimulate spending by much," said Tommy Wu at Oxford Economics Ltd in Hong Kong. "The fiscal multiplier effect in Hong Kong is pretty small so the impact on the economy could be even smaller than what Paul Chan estimated."
    Lam's government has a fiscal reserve of about HK$1.17 trillion, after scoring a budget surplus of HK$68 billion for the 2018-2019 fiscal year, according to government data.
    Compared to the stimulus unleashed after the 2014 Umbrella movement protests, this stimulus is much larger, said one BBG economist.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...s-rock-economy

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123