Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit rap festival charges more for white people

Exclamation Detroit rap festival charges more for white people

Tiny Jag pulls out of AfroFuture Fest after learning white people would be charged a different price to attend

https://www.metrotimes.com/city-slan...rice-to-attend

Posted By Sonia Khaleel on Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Tiny Jag. - NOAH ELLIOTT MORRISON
    Noah Elliott Morrison
    Tiny Jag.

Jillian Graham, aka Detroit-based rapper Tiny Jag, pulled out of a local music festival this week because she disagreed with its pay model, in which people of color would pay less for tickets than white festivalgoers.

Graham said she only found out about AfroFuture Fest's pay model when a white friend reached out to her and sent her a screenshot via Instagram that outlined the pay difference. The early bird POC ("people of color") ticket was $10 while the early bird "non-POC" ticket cost $20.

"I was immediately enraged just because I am biracial," Graham tells Metro Times. "I have family members that would have, under those circumstances, been subjected to something that I would not ever want them to be in ... especially not because of anything that I have going on."

Graham says after the festival confirmed the price structure, she immediately withdrew from the event and requested that she be removed from any promotional materials. She says because she had publicly supported the festival without knowing about the discrepancy between the ticket prices, that she had to publicly withdraw her support as well. She did so by taking to Twitter.

She indicated feeling very triggered, and discussed how the pay model would have affected her family personally — specifically her grandmother.

"A lot of the songs that I perform are from my first project called Polly — that is my grandmother’s name," Graham says. "How do you want me to come to a performance and perform these songs off a mixtape that is titled after this white woman that you would have charged double to get in here? Like, it’s just outrageous from so many different angles."

The discussion comes at a time when wealthy white people have been moving into Detroit, a predominantly Black city.

It also comes at a time when lawmakers are discussing reparations. Last month, House Democrats prepared the first-ever hearing on the subject. Detroit Rep. Rashida Tlaib was a co-sponsor of H.R.40: The Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act.

Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib

@RepRashida
    On the day we celebrate the end of slavery, @HouseJudiciary is holding the first-ever hearing on reparations. I’m proud to co-sponsor #HR40 and believe in order for this country to atone for the horrific sin of slavery, reparations must be a part of the picture. #Juneteenth

10:33 AM - Jun 19, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    695 people are talking about this

Graham says that while she is definitely for the goal of putting equity back into the Black community, she doesn’t agree with the method being used to do so.

"It’s non-progressive and it’s not solution-focused in my eyes," she says. "It seems almost like it has spite, and unfortunately with spite comes hate, and that’s just not obviously going to be a good direction for us to go if we’re looking for positive change."
    RELATED How Mitch McConnell — and all white people — benefit from white supremacy at the expense of our Black neighbors
    Graham says it was difficult to pull out of the festival because she appreciates the support of her fans.

"It’s not fun to withdraw out of shows, especially at home, especially in your hometown, and especially when your supporters have been so good to you," she says. "It’s also not fun to do that to my fellow Black women, like that sucks too. It sucks that this is a thing that’s put a wedge here."

While the festival organizers declined MT's request for comment, they explained their rationale behind the ticket prices on the festival's Eventbrite page:

Equality means treating everyone the same

Equity is insuring everyone has what they need to be successful

Our ticket structure was built to insure that the most marginalized communities (people of color) are provided with an equitable chance at enjoying events in their own community (Black Detroit).

Affording joy and pleasure is unfortunately still a privilege in our society for POC and we believe everyone should have access to receiving such.

We've seen too many times orgasmic events happening in Detroit and other POC populated cities and what consistently happens is people outside of the community benefiting most from affordable ticket prices because of their proximity to wealth.

This cycle disproportionately displaces Black and brown people from enjoying entertainment in their own communities.

As an Afrofuturist youth lead initiative the voices of our youth inform our resistance.

Here's what they have to say

"If you don't see my Blackness, you don't see me. Periodt!"
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    KILL THE BOER!
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

$#@!'s bangin (aka turn up the bass)

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I think I'll pass...
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I think I'll pass...
    1:10 - 1:25
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

This white boy wouldn't go if they paid me.

$#@! a bunch of rap!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    This white boy wouldn't go if they paid me.

$#@! a bunch of rap!
    You and AF can't tell me this video doesn't kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You and AF can't tell me this video doesn't kick ass.
    17 seconds, not doing that BS.

$#@! rap!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    17 seconds, not doing that BS.

$#@! rap!

^saw that coming.

Any white person dumb enough to go to a rap festival should be charged double.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    What about redneck Rap? Hick Hop... lol

“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post

I think you replied to the wrong member. But people who don't like rap don't just like it, doesn't matter the topic or who is singing.

She indicated feeling very triggered, and discussed how the pay model would have affected her family personally — specifically her grandmother.
    I really love this line, I too get trigger when I encounter a stupid moment in life.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I think you replied to the wrong member. But people who don't like rap don't just like it, doesn't matter the topic or who is singing.
    My point was the race connection. There are some good words out there despite the genre.

“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Every race should pay the same amount.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

My point was the race connection. There are some good words out there despite the genre.
    Won't listen to that BS either, Kid Rock too, got a buddy who played some Kid Rock that sounded normal so I bought a CD, the damn thing went out the window right away.

I don't like "Kill your mother" music either, if the vocalist sounds like their straining to take a $#@! I'm not listening...

I'll try anything but if it fails it fails and rap is a big failure.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Half price, Indian privilege.

Trump gotta pay double.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Ya , thats how I see it . Of course it is wrong but I do not care if they do it .Think of it as a stupid tax . You are willingly paying more to be somewhere you are not desired . If my mexican bar charged me twice as much for a draft beer as mexicans I would just go to a hotel bar instead ( see if I can put it on Dankes tab too )
    Do something Danke

Won't listen to that BS either, Kid Rock too, got a buddy who played some Kid Rock that sounded normal so I bought a CD, the damn thing went out the window right away.

I don't like "Kill your mother" music either, if the vocalist sounds like their straining to take a $#@! I'm not listening...

I'll try anything but if it fails it fails and rap is a big failure.
    Honestly, as a musician I don't like rap either, there is no real musicianship and musical instrument ability or talent to it. All electronic sound effects and digital samples, no "human talent" to the music in the background, it only influences the primal root brainstem and not the creative higher intelligence lobes . Human talent and thinking ability is just about dead in this society and culture anymore, "Cultural arts" are gone, and no one plays chess anymore either.
    Last edited by ATruepatriot; 07-07-2019 at 09:04 AM.

I like some rap and its not just because I like the beat or tempo but because of the story telling and clear lyrics that comes with it. But some people just don't like the whole set up, the tempo, the beat, the fast talking etc etc. And to those people the good words will never bridge the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I like some rap and its not just because I like the beat or tempo but because of the story telling and clear lyrics that comes with it. But some people just don't like the whole set up, the tempo, the beat, the fast talking etc etc. And to those people the good words will never bridge the gap.
    I agree, it's hard to appreciate even the words when the whole package as a total is offensive to the mind and ears. lol

Big krit
    Pick yoself up

Good $#@!s
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Lupe fiasco is also very good
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

The first rap song... lol

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    loveshiscountry

I would think race based charging on public property would be illegal.

Word

Last edited by loveshiscountry; 07-07-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Oh gawd that's even worse...In the words of the late, great Walt Kowalski:

"Shut up, pussies. What is all this "bro" $#@!, anyway? Want to be Super Spades or something? These guys don't want to be your bro, and I don't blame 'em. Now get your ofay, Paddy ass, on down the road."

^^^^^^^^^... ‘you must spread...

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

only 12% of detroit residents are white, so I guess this is what a black majority future looks like
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    $#@!'s bangin (aka turn up the bass)

I actually do like some rap, but this just sucks. Good for her for standing up to the BS, but she's not talented.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Too much bad press- they are dropping the different ticket prices. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48911917

A music festival in Detroit that was charging double fees for white attendees is reversing course after a backlash that drew national attention.

Tickets for Afrofuture Fest were $40 (£32) for white people and $20 for "people of colour" - a term used in the US for racial minorities.

The disparity caused one performer to pull out and ticket website Eventbrite to threaten to remove the event page.

The policy was changed on Sunday after "threats from white supremacists".

Afrofuture Fest said in a statement on Twitter that they were changing fees to $20 for all attendees "for the safety of our community". Organisers requested that white people make an additional donation.

The previous price structure caused one rapper, Jillian Graham, who goes by the stage name Tiny Jag, to announce on Twitter that she would not perform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast