Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big quake rumbles across Southern California, some damage northeast of Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

Satellite images provided to CNN by Planet Labs, Inc. show a crack has formed in the area close to the epicenter.
    The large crack extends some distance from an area that apparently held water before. The erosion patterns on the desert sand indicate that some of that water was sucked out.
    The satellite image isn’t the only evidence that the region’s topography was changed by the earthquake.
    A nearby highway is now shutdown after tremors cracked and moved sections of the roadway.

More at: https://fox13now.com/2019/07/08/cali...ellite-images/
    https://twitter.com/dutchsinse/statu...75742817792001

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://twitter.com/dutchsinse/statu...30245906800641

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On Saturday morning, blogger Khalil Underwood from California uploaded the footage onto Twitter of thousands of dying bees spread across his driveway following the massive quakes.
    I wasn’t exagerating or joking last night..... after the Earthquake thousands of bees were vibrating on the floor and dying.... this $#@! was so crazy to me. pic.twitter.com/qqCpBVhuyd
    — Khalil Underwood (@RealKhalilU) July 6, 2019
    A terrified Underwood told his followers: "This is crazy. I've never witnessed anything like this."
    "Look how many f***ing bees are on the f***ing floor from the earthquake."
    He first tweeted there was "like 70 [bees] on the floor just buzzing & dying," but later said, "I wasn't exaggerating or joking..... after the Earthquake thousands of bees were vibrating on the floor and dying.... this $#@! was so crazy to me."

Over 500 responses had people from all walks of life try to explain what exactly happened to the bees. Some suggested the quake had distorted the magnetic fields the bees' brains were dependent on leaving them disoriented.
    I believed you when natural disasters happen animals and insects are sensitive to it. Even more when it comes to the vibrations of an earthquake.
    — Konchita1 (@PhillyKonchita) July 6, 2019
    Found this link on bees & earthquakes. If they left a hive in a panic, they didn't feed before leaving, they would normally do if swarming. On going aftershocks & possible damage to hive have them disorientated & without food. I'm guessing though. https://t.co/GAfbg2h3XY
    — Dub8Lady (@DubLoony) July 6, 2019
    pic.twitter.com/Aj3QqvlLsH
    — UAP Disclosure 2019 Campaign (@TheLou_) July 7, 2019
    ​"I just read that they abandon the hive during earthquakes, and return when it's over. The constant aftershocks could be keeping them from 'homing, which is probably not good", one Twitter user wrote, while another associated the bee deaths to fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field during quakes.
    There is no definitive answer as to why the bees died after the quakes.
    However, a study from Taiwan during two significant earthquakes in 1999 and 2002 showed a catastrophic effect on insect communities, resulting in "large declines in total individual number but also total species number of insects."
    The US Geological Survey (USGS) had previously said it is "possible" a "seismic-escape response" may have triggered animals' natural instincts to escape predators.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...nia-earthquake

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

According to dutchsinse the energy is heading for the San Andreas fault now.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

According to dutchsinse the energy is heading for the San Andreas fault now.
    Isn't he the guy who failed to predict the biggest quake in 20 years but still claims himself the best in the world at predicting quakes? (the California quake was hundreds of miles from the San Andreas fault line- the to are not connected).

https://twitter.com/dutchsinse/statu...30245906800641

Well, he missed on that one.

Earlier today, I came across a CNN headline which boldly declared that they had “debunked” the “myth” that a portion of southern California could one day go into the ocean.
    Since I had just written about this, I eagerly clicked on the story to see the amazing “evidence” that they were using to “debunk” this “myth”. Unsurprisingly, this was the extent of the “evidence” that they offered
    Here’s some comforting words for every California resident contemplating a permanent relocation.
    The USGS calls the the idea that the state will be swept out to sea “absolutely impossible.”
    What will continue to happen however, is the slow — about two-inches-per-year slow — northward movement of southwestern California toward Alaska, as it slides past central and eastern California.
    Wow, that is quite a powerful argument they laid out there.
    I assume that what is being referred to here is the idea that a portion of California could snap off the continent like a cookie and sink into the ocean, and of course that isn’t going to happen.
    However, much of southern California is barely above sea level, and scientists have discovered that past earthquakes have caused the ground in the region to sink by as much as three feet. If such an earthquake happened today, vast stretches of southern California could suddenly go underwater as the Pacific Ocean came pouring in.
    So instead of talking about southern California “going into the ocean”, perhaps it would be more accurate for us to talk about “the Pacific Ocean going into southern California”.
    Cal State Fullerton professor Matt Kirby was one of the lead researchers on the groundbreaking study that alerted all of us to this possibility, and he says that if a large enough earthquake happened today “you would see seawater rushing in”
    ‘It´s something that would happen relatively instantaneously,’ Kirby said.
    Probably today if it happened, you would see seawater rushing in.’
    Southern California is essentially a time bomb, and it is absolutely riddled with fault lines. In fact, a Fox News article says that there are more than five hundred active fault lines in the region right now…
    Like a major river, the San Andreas has many tributaries – faults big and small that fan out and fracture the state from top to bottom. As a result, most Californians live within thirty miles of an active fault line, of which there are more than five hundred.
    So do you feel lucky?
    Maybe you do, and that is fine.
    But someday your luck will run out.
    We have entered the time of “the perfect storm”, and major seismic events are going to become increasingly common. As sure as you are reading this article, someday the kind of earthquake that I am talking about will come to California, and the death toll will be off the charts.
    Unfortunately, most Californians are not going to listen to the warnings. For example, one small business owner named Albert Adi told CNN that the risk of earthquakes is something he is willing to tolerate in order to live in a place “with beautiful weather and good job opportunities”
    Ultimately, he said, it’s just one of the tradeoffs of living in a place with beautiful weather and good job opportunities.
    “It’s the risk you have to accept by living here in Southern California,” he said.
    “Hopefully,” he added, “everything will work out.”
    Blind hope is not a strategy.
    Today, California is on the cutting edge of everything that is wrong with America. The state is at the forefront of our moral, social and political decay, and the filth being produced by our entertainment industry has infected the entire globe.
    Unless you have an overwhelming reason to stay, I don’t know why anyone would possibly want to live on the west coast at this point.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ing-california

The tides of the ocean go up and down by about 7 feet.

If the earthquake happened at low tide, it would just turn into a medium tide.

When the tide came up, some structures at sea level near the ocean might be affected.. but almost all houses are far more than 3' above sea level.

The ocean level rise in the last 100 years was about 4-8 inches. The libtards are claiming that it is going to rise 6 feet in the next 35 years or something insane like that.. I'm guessing that in the next 100 years, the sea level will rise 4-12 inches at most.

Typical California coastlines:

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The tides of the ocean go up and down by about 7 feet.

If the earthquake happened at low tide, it would just turn into a medium tide.

When the tide came up, some structures at sea level near the ocean might be affected.. but almost all houses are far more than 3' above sea level.

The ocean level rise in the last 100 years was about 4-8 inches. The libtards are claiming that it is going to rise 6 feet in the next 35 years or something insane like that.. I'm guessing that in the next 100 years, the sea level will rise 4-12 inches at most.

Florida is at much greater risk if ocean level were to rise. Significant portions of that state are barely above sea level now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Florida is at much greater risk if ocean level were to rise. Significant portions of that state are barely above sea level now.

So wouldn't sea level rise be a good thing then?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Last edited by dannno; 07-21-2019 at 04:36 PM.

The plane – NASA817 – baffled Californians last Monday when it was seen travelling from Palmdale to Boise in Idaho.
    CBS2 anchorwoman Jasmine Viel said the low-flying plane was “scary” and “big and loud”.
    NASA has not confirmed why one of their craft was in the area, but online viewers have now spotted that its flight path appeared to show it zig-zagging over the infamous San Andreas Fault.
    Renowned conspiracy theorist Tyler Glockner – of YouTube channel secureteam10 – uploaded a video yesterday explaining his views.
    “A registered NASA aircraft was noticed doing zig-zag flying patterns near and over the San Andreas fault line,” he said.”
    “It’s almost as if it is scanning the ground as if to try and get more data about what is happening underneath.
    “What is going on? Is something occurring?
    “What do they know, are they gearing up for something?
    “Do they know the Big One is coming?”

Tyler wasn’t the only person to have linked the sighting of the NASA craft to the Fault.
    News conspiracy site allnewspipeline.com questioned whether NASA and the US government “know something that we don’t know”.

More at: http://bigworldtale.com/science/nasa...e-is-imminent/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The plane takes air samples to measures air pollution. It flies all over the world collecting samples.

https://theaviationist.com/2016/09/0...pling-mission/

Take a look at these photographs of the rare NASA DC-8 Airborne Laboratory visiting Lajes during global-scale sampling mission

Taking part in the Atmospheric Tomography Mission (ATom-1) to study the impact of human-produced air pollution on greenhouse gases and on chemically reactive gases in the atmosphere, the NASA /Armstrong Flight Research Center / Earth Science DC8-72 msn 46082/458 flew into Lajes air base, Terceira island, Azores, on Aug. 17.

Lajes is a strategic airfield located in the Atlantic Ocean frequently used as a stopover airfield by military (as well as NASA) aircraft crossing the Pond.

ATom deploys an extensive gas and aerosol payload on the NASA DC-8 aircraft for systematic, global-scale sampling of the atmosphere, profiling continuously from 0.2 to 12 km altitude.

According to the NASA website, the DC-8’s sampling activities occur in each of 4 seasons over a 4-year period covering the whole globe: NASA 817 flew to Lajes from Ascension Island and before that the aircraft flew from New Zealand all the way across the Pacific and Indian oceans.
    More at link.

but online viewers have now spotted that its flight path appeared to show it zig-zagging over the infamous San Andreas Fault.
    The San Andreas Fault Line is closer to the coast than where the plane was flying. But if it is on YouTube it must be true, right?

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-30-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Doomy report on ZH of a major sunspot falling over the planet in the next couple days. Dutchsinse and others have connected earthquake activity to sunspot/solar activity previously.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Doomy report on ZH of a major sunspot falling over the planet in the next couple days. Dutchsinse and others have connected earthquake activity to sunspot/solar activity previously.
    ZH likes trying to scare people. They love doom and gloom.

Sunspots happen on the sun- they don't "fall" to planet Earth but at any rate, there is zero sunspot activity currently. No solar flares headed this way either. https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity

Sunspot number 0
    New regions 0

https://phys.org/news/2013-04-link-s...rthquakes.html

No link between solar activity and earthquakes

Geophysicists have disproved a long-held belief that changes in solar activity can be linked to increased earthquake activity.

Researchers at the United States Geological Survey (USGS) studied the different phenomena thought to prompt seismic activity. One theory is that a rise in solar activity, like sunspots, solar wind speed, or magnetic storms could trigger more, or larger, earthquakes.

'Recently there's been a lot of interest in this subject from the popular press, probably because of a couple of larger and very devastating earthquakes. This motivated us to investigate for ourselves whether or not it was true,' says Dr Jeffrey Love from the USGS, lead author of the study.

But when Love and his colleague, Dr Jeremy Thomas from Northwest Research Associates, examined the relationship between peaks in solar activity and large earthquakes, they found there was no correlation at all.

'There have been some earthquakes like the 9.5 magnitude Chile quake in 1960 where, sure enough, there were more sunspots and more geomagnetic activity than on average. But then for the Alaska earthquake in 1964 everything was lower than normal. There's no obvious pattern between solar activity and seismicity, so our results were inconclusive,' Love says.

The pair used data from the British Geological Survey, USGS, NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to count the number of earthquakes per day, month and year. They then ranked these counts depending on how much solar-terrestrial activity had occurred at the same time. They showed that there are just as many earthquakes whether or not there is lots of solar activity.

'From previous work we had found that ground sensors in the vicinity of earthquakes did not show any "precursory" signal that might be used to predict an earthquake. Still, some historical and some recent studies seemed to indicate a solar triggering of earthquakes, so we decided to investigate this as well, explains Love.

'One prominent claim was that there might be a relationship between the solar-terrestrial activity and the timing of the great Sumatra earthquake, so we looked at that specifically,' explains Love. The Sumatra earthquake occurred on boxing day in 2004 and had a magnitude of 9.3 - the third largest earthquake ever recorded. 'But as far as we can tell the solar activity was perfectly normal and there is no reason to think normal conditions could cause more or bigger earthquakes.'

The theory was first proposed in the late nineteenth century by Rudolf Wolf, a Swiss astronomer known for his research into sunspots. Love understands why people might believe there is a correlation between the two phenomenon. 'It's natural for scientists to want to see relationships between things' he says. "Of course, that doesn't mean that a relationship actually exists!"
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-30-2019 at 12:34 PM.

I just reread the ZH write-up. It's a coronal hole lining up to the planet, not a sunspot. Hopefully that quenches Zip's need for exact terminology.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...upermoon-looms

Btw, the USGS lies all the time about quake locations and magnitudes. It's almost a running joke within quake tracker circles how they routinely misreport and suppress data.
    Last edited by devil21; 07-30-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12