Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big quake rumbles across Southern California, some damage northeast of Los Angeles

Big quake rumbles across Southern California, some damage northeast of Los Angeles

A powerful earthquake jolted Southern California on Thursday, touching off fires and damaging buildings in a desert town northeast of Los Angeles, but authorities said there were only minor injuries.

The 6.4 magnitude quake, the largest in two decades in the area, struck about 113 miles (182 km) northeast of Los Angeles near the city of Ridgecrest at around 1:30 p.m. EDT (1730 GMT), according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The quake struck in an area on the edge of Death Valley National Park.
    The Kern County Fire Department said it was dealing with “multiple injuries,” two house fires, small brush fires and gas leaks.

More at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1TZ1VB
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow just had a major aftershock

7.1 same epicenter

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    7.1 same epicenter
    That means the first one was a foreshock, I hope this one wasn't also a foreshock or you could be in for "THE BIG ONE".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Rock 'n Roll in central coast Cal about 20 minutes ago.

7.1 magnitude earthquake strikes Southern California

Jul 05, 2019 | 8:40 PM

A 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck Southern California Friday night, the second in less than two days.

The quake was centered near Ridgecrest, location of the July 4th 6.2 magnitude temblor that was the largest in nearly 20 years.

That quake caused minor damage and injuries around the epicenter.

This quake was much larger.

When Thursdays quake it, scientists had warned that it could lead an event larger quake. Ridgecrest had been rattled by numerous aftershocks over the last day, including a 5.4 magnitude temblor this morning.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...705-story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

That means the first one was a foreshock, I hope this one wasn't also a foreshock or you could be in for "THE BIG ONE".
    Just in case, if you are in the area - G T F O.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I felt it in Nevada- felt like someone was grabbing the back of my computer chair and shaking it roughly
    It was felt 50 miles into Az.
    “The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Just in case, if you are in the area - G T F O.
    East is Ridgecrest, ain't going there.

I've never experienced an earthquake before, and if I have, I must have been too young to remember it. That or maybe the earthquake wasn't high enough on the richter scale.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I've never experienced an earthquake before, and if I have, I must have been too young to remember it. That or maybe the earthquake wasn't high enough on the richter scale.
    I am sure it wasn't an earthquake.

What was it then?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

all the mexicans in cali jumped at the same time during a goal at the world cup
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

NBC LA reports gas leaks and fires have been reported.

Friday night, the power went out in Ridgecrest, a city of 27,600, around 100 miles north of Los Angeles, according to NBC reporters in the area.
    The San Bernardino County Fire District tweeted that calls were coming in from northwestern communities and that people were reporting "homes shifted, foundation cracks, retaining walls down."
    We have word of wires down (never touch!) and *localized* power outages in several City of Los Angeles neighborhoods. Our citywide survey by @LAFD crews continues, but besides a handful of apparently small issues, NO major damage to infrastructure has been identified.
    — LAFD (@LAFD) July 6, 2019
    The fire district reported one minor injury and said firefighters were treating the patient. “No unmet needs currently,” the fire department said.
    7.1 Earthquake in Ridgecrest,CA felt in Las Vegas,NV #Earthquake #NBC #ABC #LasVegas pic.twitter.com/wkU49SkpDx
    — Rhianna Rae (@rhiannabrooklyn) July 6, 2019

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...hocks-continue

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/s...48369943064578

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    7.1 same epicenter
    They're probably foreshocks. Pressure builds further every time the plate moves. The pressure is shifting around.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ude-earthquake
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

I see it's still there, we're gonna need a bigger quake.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I see it's still there, we're gonna need a bigger quake.
    According to dutchsinse that may happen this week.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It was pretty shallow- about half a mile below the surface- which is why more people felt it than other similar sized quakes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48891511

California Quake Damage Not As Bad As Feared

A 7.1 magnitude earthquake has rattled parts of Southern California, the biggest tremor to strike in 20 years.

It struck at the shallow depth of 0.9km (0.6 miles) and its epicentre was near the city of Ridgecrest, about 240km north-east of Los Angeles.

A 6.4-magnitude quake hit the same area on Thursday at a depth of nearly 11km.

Emergency officials say the damage is not as bad as they initially feared, with power restored to most who had lost it and food stores trading again.

All of the roads that were damaged by the quake have also now been reopened, they say, but add that crews are still assessing the aftermath.

It's thought about 3,000 people in Ridgecrest and the surrounding area were left without power.

California Governor Gavin Newsom offered his "heartfelt support" to all those affected, and requested a Presidential Emergency Declaration and federal aid to help.

He later added that there were a number of "minor to moderate level" injuries, and said there were "no reports of any fatalities, so I think we're very lucky there".

Seismologist Dr Lucy Jones said the quakes could continue. "This is an earthquake sequence," she said at a press conference. "It will be ongoing."

"Every earthquake makes another earthquake more likely," she added, saying there was a 10% chance of a similar or even larger quake following in the next week.

However, Dr Jones said it was not likely the quake would trigger shocks on other fault lines.

The earthquake was felt as far away as Las Vegas in the neighbouring state of Nevada and over the border in Mexico.

Fires broke out and emergency services were dispatched across the state to deal with calls after the quake.

"We've got fires, we've got gas leaks, we've got injuries, we've got people without power," Ridgecrest Mayor Peggy Breeden told Reuters news agency. "We're dealing with it as best we can."
    California is prone to earthquakes as it lies on a number of faults - regions where tectonic plates come together.

Dr Jones told the Los Angeles Times this fault could be up to 30 miles long.

"The fault is growing," she said. "We ruptured a piece in the first earthquake... and we've ruptured more now."

The San Andreas Fault is the largest, extending about 1,200km through the state.

But Dr Jones said this quake was in a distant fault system, and was unlikely to trigger a quake along the San Andreas Fault.
    This latest series of quakes has caused relatively minor damage - that we are currently aware of - but they have rattled nerves, big time.

The latest was felt as far afield as Las Vegas in Nevada, Palm Springs to the east of Los Angeles, and Beverly Hills.

With a baseball game in progress at Dodger Stadium, in downtown LA, people fled from their seats as the building started to shake - although the players, apparently oblivious to what was happening, continued with the game.

Honk Honk!!!

Owe ya a rep.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Exclamation Washington Compost

The Fake News reporting, just keeps on a coming.

Fakenews Spotting:
    Quake Causes Damage! ... Did It?

From the Washington Post homepage a few minutes ago:

This scheme isn't uncommon. Sensational headline claims X, text says the opposite is a well established practice in main stream journalism.
    Its rare that it is so obvious. But cursory readers will still fall for it.

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2019/0...ge-did-it.html
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 07-06-2019 at 04:24 PM.

The Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake in Ridgecrest was evacuated and deemed not ” mission capable” after a 7.1 magnitude earthquake rattled the region Friday night, authorities said.
    “NAWS China Lake is not mission capable until further notice; however, security protocols remain in effect,” the station said. “Safety of personnel is currently the highest priority.”
    The earthquake struck roughly 10 and a half miles from Ridgecrest at about 8:19 p.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
    Non-essential employees and their dependents were told to evacuate the station, according to a Facebook post. Essential employees still have access to the station.
    “Mission Essential personnel should continue to use caution when accessing buildings,” the station said.
    Authorities did not provide information on any damage the facility may have sustained in the quake. No injuries were reported.

More at: https://ktla.com/2019/07/06/naval-ai...e-after-quake/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nearly spat my drink out when I saw this.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

https://twitter.com/dutchsinse/statu...34323144249349

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Earlier today, I came across a CNN headline which boldly declared that they had “debunked” the “myth” that a portion of southern California could one day go into the ocean.
    Since I had just written about this, I eagerly clicked on the story to see the amazing “evidence” that they were using to “debunk” this “myth”. Unsurprisingly, this was the extent of the “evidence” that they offered
    Here’s some comforting words for every California resident contemplating a permanent relocation.
    The USGS calls the the idea that the state will be swept out to sea “absolutely impossible.”
    What will continue to happen however, is the slow — about two-inches-per-year slow — northward movement of southwestern California toward Alaska, as it slides past central and eastern California.
    Wow, that is quite a powerful argument they laid out there.
    I assume that what is being referred to here is the idea that a portion of California could snap off the continent like a cookie and sink into the ocean, and of course that isn’t going to happen.
    However, much of southern California is barely above sea level, and scientists have discovered that past earthquakes have caused the ground in the region to sink by as much as three feet. If such an earthquake happened today, vast stretches of southern California could suddenly go underwater as the Pacific Ocean came pouring in.
    So instead of talking about southern California “going into the ocean”, perhaps it would be more accurate for us to talk about “the Pacific Ocean going into southern California”.
    Cal State Fullerton professor Matt Kirby was one of the lead researchers on the groundbreaking study that alerted all of us to this possibility, and he says that if a large enough earthquake happened today “you would see seawater rushing in”
    ‘It´s something that would happen relatively instantaneously,’ Kirby said.
    Probably today if it happened, you would see seawater rushing in.’
    Southern California is essentially a time bomb, and it is absolutely riddled with fault lines. In fact, a Fox News article says that there are more than five hundred active fault lines in the region right now…
    Like a major river, the San Andreas has many tributaries – faults big and small that fan out and fracture the state from top to bottom. As a result, most Californians live within thirty miles of an active fault line, of which there are more than five hundred.
    So do you feel lucky?
    Maybe you do, and that is fine.
    But someday your luck will run out.
    We have entered the time of “the perfect storm”, and major seismic events are going to become increasingly common. As sure as you are reading this article, someday the kind of earthquake that I am talking about will come to California, and the death toll will be off the charts.
    Unfortunately, most Californians are not going to listen to the warnings. For example, one small business owner named Albert Adi told CNN that the risk of earthquakes is something he is willing to tolerate in order to live in a place “with beautiful weather and good job opportunities”
    Ultimately, he said, it’s just one of the tradeoffs of living in a place with beautiful weather and good job opportunities.
    “It’s the risk you have to accept by living here in Southern California,” he said.
    “Hopefully,” he added, “everything will work out.”
    Blind hope is not a strategy.
    Today, California is on the cutting edge of everything that is wrong with America. The state is at the forefront of our moral, social and political decay, and the filth being produced by our entertainment industry has infected the entire globe.
    Unless you have an overwhelming reason to stay, I don’t know why anyone would possibly want to live on the west coast at this point.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ing-california

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If it wasn't an earthquake, then what was it?

Calvin Coolidge

Satellite images provided to CNN by Planet Labs, Inc. show a crack has formed in the area close to the epicenter.
    The large crack extends some distance from an area that apparently held water before. The erosion patterns on the desert sand indicate that some of that water was sucked out.
    The satellite image isn’t the only evidence that the region’s topography was changed by the earthquake.
    A nearby highway is now shutdown after tremors cracked and moved sections of the roadway.

More at: https://fox13now.com/2019/07/08/cali...ellite-images/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast