Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amash Quits Republican Party

Amash Quits Republican Party

I guess we could've seen this coming.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/polit...gop/index.html

Rep. Justin Amash, the only congressional Republican who publicly argues that President Donald Trump has engaged in impeachable conduct, announced Thursday he is quitting the GOP.

"Today, I am declaring my independence and leaving the Republican Party," Amash wrote in a Washington Post op-ed Thursday morning. "No matter your circumstance, I'm asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I'm asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it. If we continue to take America for granted, we will lose it."
    Amash didn't mention the President by name, but his decision to abandon the party comes after months of escalating criticism not just of the President but of his own colleagues for their failure to hold Trump to account, specifically for the actions detailed in special counsel Robert Mueller's report on the 2016 election and its aftermath.

The move also upends the state of play in Michigan's 3rd District, where several Republican candidates have announced their plans to challenge him for his current congressional seat in the GOP primary.

As an independent, Amash wouldn't have to compete in the primary to run in the general election, although during a recent town hall in Grand Rapids, he told constituents it is "very difficult" to run as an independent in Michigan, due to straight-ticket voting and existing requirements for third-party candidates to get on the ballot.

Amash didn't address his future plans, though he pointedly called for readers to reject both parties and expressed his belief that the majority of Americans don't feel adequately represented by Republicans or Democrats.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting. Wow.

Sweet.

The duopoly will never change, as bones are thrown on both sides of the isle. Hopefully some will take notice, think about this, and more will follow.

As somebody said, you have to break some eggs in order to make an omelet. I’ll take mine with hash browns :-)

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    LOL coming from a NY Lib:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-On-The-Record

Sad really. He was so concerned about FISA abuse (and rightly so), yer he totally ignore the FISA abuse done to the President. It's clear that the Libertarian party has been infiltrated.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Justin Amash: Our politics is in a partisan death spiral. That’s why I’m leaving the GOP.

When my dad was 16, America welcomed him as a Palestinian refugee. It wasn’t easy moving to a new country, but it was the greatest blessing of his life.

Throughout my childhood, my dad would remind my brothers and me of the challenges he faced before coming here and how fortunate we were to be Americans. In this country, he told us, everyone has an opportunity to succeed regardless of background.

Growing up, I thought a lot about the brilliance of America. Our country’s founders established a constitutional republic uniquely dedicated to securing the rights of the people. In fact, they designed a political system so ordered around liberty that, in succeeding generations, the Constitution itself would strike back against the biases and blind spots of its authors.

My parents, both immigrants, were Republicans. I supported Republican candidates throughout my early adult life and then successfully ran for office as a Republican. The Republican Party, I believed, stood for limited government, economic freedom and individual liberty — principles that had made the American Dream possible for my family.

In recent years, though, I’ve become disenchanted with party politics and frightened by what I see from it. The two-party system has evolved into an existential threat to American principles and institutions.

George Washington was so concerned as he watched political parties take shape in America that he dedicated much of his farewell address to warning that partisanship, although “inseparable from our nature,” was the people’s “worst enemy.” He observed that it was “the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.”

Washington said of partisanship, in one of America’s most prescient addresses: “The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of public liberty. …

“It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which finds a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.”

True to Washington’s fears, Americans have allowed government officials, under assertions of expediency and party unity, to ignore the most basic tenets of our constitutional order: separation of powers, federalism and the rule of law. The result has been the consolidation of political power and the near disintegration of representative democracy.

These are consequences of a mind-set among the political class that loyalty to party is more important than serving the American people or protecting our governing institutions. The parties value winning for its own sake, and at whatever cost. Instead of acting as an independent branch of government and serving as a check on the executive branch, congressional leaders of both parties expect the House and Senate to act in obedience or opposition to the president and their colleagues on a partisan basis.

In this hyperpartisan environment, congressional leaders use every tool to compel party members to stick with the team, dangling chairmanships, committee assignments, bill sponsorships, endorsements and campaign resources. As donors recognize the growing power of party leaders, they supply these officials with ever-increasing funds, which, in turn, further tightens their grip on power.

The founders envisioned Congress as a deliberative body in which outcomes are discovered. We are fast approaching the point, however, where Congress exists as little more than a formality to legitimize outcomes dictated by the president, the speaker of the House and the Senate majority leader.

With little genuine debate on policy happening in Congress, party leaders distract and divide the public by exploiting wedge issues and waging pointless messaging wars. These strategies fuel mistrust and anger, leading millions of people to take to social media to express contempt for their political opponents, with the media magnifying the most extreme voices. This all combines to reinforce the us-vs.-them, party-first mind-set of government officials.

Modern politics is trapped in a partisan death spiral, but there is an escape.

Most Americans are not rigidly partisan and do not feel well represented by either of the two major parties. In fact, the parties have become more partisan in part because they are catering to fewer people, as Americans are rejecting party affiliation in record numbers.

These same independent-minded Americans, however, tend to be less politically engaged than Red Team and Blue Team activists. Many avoid politics to focus on their own lives, while others don’t want to get into the muck with the radical partisans.

But we owe it to future generations to stand up for our constitutional republic so that Americans may continue to live free for centuries to come. Preserving liberty means telling the Republican Party and the Democratic Party that we’ll no longer let them play their partisan game at our expense.

Today, I am declaring my independence and leaving the Republican Party. No matter your circumstance, I’m asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I’m asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it. If we continue to take America for granted, we will lose it.
    https://wapo.st/32aAIV2
    Last edited by TheCount; 07-04-2019 at 08:12 AM.

That was a great op-ed.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I remember when Ben Swann used to say it and I made many a t-shirts and bumper stickers:

#LibertyIsRising

A lot of the RPF Stormfronter crowd read the opening sentence and said to themselves, "Wait. What?"

They never would have supported Amash at all if they'd known that background.

Gotta wish him well & good luck.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Wish him the best of luck.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    A lot of the RPF Stormfronter crowd read the opening sentence and said to themselves, "Wait. What?"

You are absolutely right.

While I understand a lot of the problems, manufactured and otherwise, that many here rant about, there are still many immigrants who actually do seek liberty and fiscal responsibility. More so than average MSFoxNBC Americans do.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    The political career for Amash is dead.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

He knows he is going to lose and is trying to saving face - political career by leaving the party. If he penned this op-ed first back in May and now came out against Trump it would have sounded more credible his reasons for leaving. The trick to beating Trump is not to talk about Trump, rather blow your own horn, call out bad policies and stay away from retarded far left hot button issues.

As I suspected, he wants to retire, and apparently he is going down in a blaze of glory on his way out the door.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I can not WAIT to watch future episodes of RonPaulLibertyReport

.COM

!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Its looking like it. Shame it had to be this way.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

the RPF Stormfronter crowd"
    always have to keep push push pushing that (((agenda))) don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    I can not WAIT to watch future episodes of RonPaulLibertyReport

.COM

!!!
    I really would love to hear Justin on an unfiltered platform such as Dr. Paul's Liberty report. Ron and Justin are very good friends, so hopefully we will be seeing a lot of him. IMO, Amash is setting up a run at the oval office and Dr. Paul's show would be a huge help if he is. Right now, the American people only have the choice between Leon Trotsky and Joe Stalin...not much of a choice. If Amash does run, at least Liberty will get a consideration as an alternate third choice.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Does that include me?

Who, exactly, are members of the "Stormfronter crowd"?
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-04-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    You are absolutely right.

While I understand a lot of the problems, manufactured and otherwise, that many here rant about, there are still many immigrants who actually do seek liberty and fiscal responsibility. More so than average MSFoxNBC Americans do.
    I ask you the same question...

Furthermore, I don't think you have much room to talk.

You are so rigidly wedded to ideology that you'd let your own town burn to the ground rather than allow hoses and fire equipment to be dragged across your property without your permission.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-04-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Does that include me?

Ignore him. He judges anyone who supports Trump as being a racist, just like MSNBC and CNN does. In fact, the posts in which he insults and name calls people who support Trump as being ignorant or below him are countless.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Does that include me?

It certainly seems like it includes you. Does it?

“It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which finds a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.”
    Sending millions of their countrymen to invade and take over is not "subjecting the will of one nation to another?"

It certainly seems like it includes you. Does it?
    Oh, sure.

If you say so..."racist xenophobe"...$#@!...I'll wear it as a badge of honor, in these days of insanity.

Just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

Well this seals it. He loses re-election, or he doesn't run and resigns in shame.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Great to see that Justin is joining me in rejecting the D&R Global Crime Syndicate.

Welcome to the free world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast