Thread: Charlottesville drops Thomas Jefferson's birthday as holiday

Charlottesville drops Thomas Jefferson's birthday as holiday

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ns-birthday-h/

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Charlottesville, Virginia, will no longer celebrate Thomas Jefferson’s birthday as an official city holiday and instead will observe a day recognizing the emancipation of enslaved African-Americans.

The city council voted Monday night to scrap the decades-old April 13 holiday honoring the slave-holding president and Founding Father. Charlottesville will now mark Liberation and Freedom Day on March 3, the day U.S. Army forces arrived in the city in 1865.

Charlottesville has been grappling publicly for years with how to tell its history of race and discrimination. Those efforts intensified after white nationalists gathered in the city in 2017 for a rally that descended into deadly violence.

The legacy of Jefferson, the nation’s third president, author of the Declaration of Independence and founder of the University of Virginia, has been a component of that ongoing debate.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.
    White people be like:

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected."

Heil Honkler!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Charlottesville should be ashamed of themselves. Not celebrating the birthday of a great man.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

It’s not like Jefferson ever contributed much to Virginia or the US. They should rename the holiday Kaepernick Day. The greatest NFL quarterback of all time!
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Well , really , Charlottesville does not deserve a day anyway . Not even sure if the deserve all 364 days in a year . Trump could penalize them and take a few days away from them , set an example . The year ends there on 12/23 through 2024, thats what I would do . Give 'em something to cry about .LOL
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It’s not like Jefferson ever contributed much to Virginia or the US. They should rename the holiday Kaepernick Day. The greatest NFL quarterback of all time!
    Don't give people ideas.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Are they serious? how stupid can they and privileged whites can be?!
    Charlottesville, Virginia, will no longer celebrate Thomas Jefferson’s birthday as an official city holiday and instead will observe a day recognizing the emancipation of enslaved African-Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Honk.
    Honk.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    and instead will observe a day recognizing the emancipation of enslaved African-Americans.
    Well at least they are still celebrating the slaves being freed by their great white hero. just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Honk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Honk.
    Honk Honk Honk.

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Well at least they are still celebrating the slaves being freed by their great white hero. just saying...
    Meanwhile African Americans claim and accuse whites of being racist yet they have their own racist TV channel. Which still runs.

They had Jefferson's birthday as a holiday? I think Alabama is about the only other place which celebrates it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Time to find a new holiday

April 13, 2012 - North Korea Rocket Launch Fails

can't get it up day
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Honk Honk Honk.
    Honk Honk Honk Honk-Honk!

(Jingle Bells?)
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon