Thread: No prison, 1-year probation for North Miami cop who shot at autistic child with toy

No prison, 1-year probation for North Miami cop who shot at autistic child with toy

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc..._bid=633307482

I remember this case.The therapist kept telling the cops that he was a therapist in a group home and all the guy (autistic guy) had in his hand was a toy truck.

Former North Miami Police officer Jonathon Aledda avoided a prison sentence Wednesday in the 2016 shooting of an unarmed black man caring for an autistic child with a toy truck police said resembled a gun.

Aledda, who was fired Tuesday, was sentenced to one year of administrative probation, 100 hours of community service and must write a 2,500-word essay on communication and weapon discharges.

Judge Alan S. Fine also ruled to withhold adjudication in the case, meaning Aledda’s conviction will not appear on his criminal record.

The first trial ended in a hung jury when jurors failed to reach a decision on one misdemeanor count of culpable negligence and two felony counts of attempted manslaughter.

Aledda celebrated the ruling with his former colleagues and his family, who flanked him inside the Miami courtroom. He smiled and hugged his supporter, some of whom became emotional.

“The people of Dade County should be proud of Jonathon and proud of this judge,” said Aledda defense attorney Jay Kolsky. “I thought that it was a well thought out decision by this judge, who heard both cases fully and knew the evidence and knew the facts very well.”

Last month, a jury convicted Aledda, 33, of misdemeanor culpable negligence for his role in the non-fatal shooting of Charles Kinsey, a behavorial therapist on July 18, 2016. The jury acquited him of two felony counts of attempted manslaughter.

Aledda responding to a call of a man attempting suicide with a gun. That turned out to be false. What police found was Arnaldo Rios Soto, a then-26-year-old, sitting in the street with a silver toy truck. He had walked out of his group home in North Miami, and Kinsey followed him.

Kinsey, who was recorded by cellphone footage lying on the road with his arms up, attempted to tell police Rios Soto was not a threat. Aledda did not hear him, and fired three rifle rounds in Rios Soto’s direction, striking Kinsey in his leg.

Aledda had never fired his weapon in the line of duty before and was a first-time offender with no arrest record.

He is the first officer in Miami-Dade County to be criminally charged for an on-duty shooting since 1989.

Steadman Stahl, the president of the Miami-Dade County Police Benevolent Association, said Aledda should not have been fired from his job and that the PBA would petition for the termination to be reviewed.

“I think there was a rush to judgment,” he said.

I wonder what grade he will get on his essay.
    Last edited by PursuePeace; 07-03-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator
    and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it. -Ron Paul

RAND 20/20

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    SO WHEN THEY ASK YOU HOW STUPID WE ARE, SHOW THEM THIS!!!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I wonder what grade he will get on his essay.

Without even proofreading the essay: A Common Core A
    “The right to life is the source of all rights—and the right to property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave.”

"I don't want any trouble officer."
    "Well then you shouldn't be breaking the law."
    "Look officer I haven't done anything wrong can we please talk about this. I can show you. It's only a-"
    "SUSPECT IS ARMED!"
    Bang bang bang bang bang
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."