Thread: Nike: Betsy Ross Flag vs the Stars and Bars . . . Confederate flag wins?

Nike: Betsy Ross Flag vs the Stars and Bars . . . Confederate flag wins?

It is absolutely mind numbing that the pin heads at Nike would intentionally recall a shoe featuring the Betsy Ross flag because it allegedly glorifies slavery and racism. Could it be that Nike may secretly embrace the Stars and Bars, which is the actual flag which flew in opposition to ending slavery and the United States?

Let us review some historical facts for the nitwits at Nike and regarding slavery in America.

Slavery was first introduced on America soil in the early 1600s when a number of slaves were brought to Jamestown, Virginia, a British colony. And millions more were introduced long before the establishment of the United States and its flag.

It was in 1776 and the Revolutionary War, and under what is believed to be a war fought under a Betsy Ross flag, that the good people of America gained their independence from foreign domination [the real culprit of slavery on American soil] and upon gaining their independence the people within a number of the states, exercising their newly found freedom, immediately moved to share the blessings of liberty to all by abolishing slavery!

For example, the people of Vermont took this immediate action in their 1777 declaration of rights, which declared "no ... person born in this country, or brought here over sea, ought to beholden by law to serve any person as a servant, slave, or apprentice". Likewise, the Massachusetts Constitution of 1780 declared that "all men are born free and equal" and was used by the court a few years after its adoption to legally forbid any person to be held as a slave. And, in 1787, the Northwest Ordinance, adopted by the Confederation Congress on July 13, 1787, declared "there shall be neither slavery nor involuntary servitude in the said Territory, otherwise than in the punishment of crimes whereof the party shall have been duly convicted."

By the year 1788 all the states north of Maryland, except New York and New Jersey, had legislated to extinguish slavery, and by 1804 the remaining two northern states [N.Y. and N.J.] had put slavery to rest.

The truth is, the injustice of slavery was not an injustice inflicted or perpetrated by the government of the United States. Quite the contrary! Upon the creation of the United States government, as witnessed by Article 1, Sec. 2, Clause 3, of the Constitution of the United States, an aversion to slavery was expressed by a specific penalty imposed upon those states having state sponsored slavery. Unfortunately, the constitutional penalty for state-sponsored slavery has been distorted and mischaracterized over the years by race baiters and hustlers who claim the provision "made blacks three-fifths of a person." But a review of the actual words of Article 1, Sec. 2, clause 3, reveals slave holding states were penalized by this provision which denied them full representation in Congress in proportion to their actual population size---the population of slaves not being fully counted when apportioning representatives among the states, which diminished the voting strength of slave holding states in Congress Assembled!

And then there’s Article 1, Section 9 of our original Constitution by which slavery was intended to be taxed into extinction by the federal government.

”The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.”

Unfortunately, slavery did persist in America after the Revolutionary War, but it did so in a number of southern states and resulted in the War Between the States, a war fought under two different flags, the Confederal Flag, and the United States flag which evolved from the Betsy Ross flag and eventually put slavery to rest in the southern states!

So why are the nitwits at Nike pulling a shoe with a flag that resembles the first flag of the United States ___ a flag under which America’s independence was won, a flag representing the northern states which defeated the South, put an end to slavery, and replaced the Confederate flag in the South? Does Niki secretly yearn to see the Confederate flag replace the Betsy Ross flag? Or, are the bone heads at Nike merely victims of a government school eduction/indoctrination?

JWK

The Democrat Party Leadership has been angry, stupid and obnoxious ever since the Republican Party Leadership freed democrat owned slaves. ___ Author unknown

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
    Could it be that Nike may secretly embrace the Stars and Bars, which is the actual flag which flew in opposition to ending slavery and the United States?

Does Niki secretly yearn to see the Confederate flag replace the Betsy Ross flag?

Or, are the bone heads at Nike merely victims of a government school eduction/indoctrination?
    No

No

Yes
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey announced Tuesday he’s withdrawing all financial incentive dollars to have Nike Opens a New Window. open a manufacturing plant in the state after a report said the sneaker company pulled its “Betsy Ross Flag” shoes following Colin Kaepernick’s criticism.
    Ducey slammed Nike in a series of tweets, saying he was disappointed by the company’s “terrible decision.” The Wall Street Journal Opens a New Window. reported Monday that Nike pulled its Air Max 1 USA, which featured a Betsy Ross flag, after the former NFL star reached out to the firm and said the 13-star flag created during the American Revolution was offensive and carried slavery connotations.
    "Nike has chosen not to release the Air Max 1 Quick Strike Fourth of July as it featured an old version of the American flag," the company said in a statement to FOX Business. They did not directly address Ducey's tweets.
    “Today was supposed to be a good day in Arizona, with the announcement of a major @nike investment in Goodyear, AZ,” Ducey began his tweets. He then pointed to the Journal report about sneakers being pulled allegedly due to Kaepernick’s criticism of the footwear.
    “Words cannot express my disappointment at this terrible decision. I am embarrassed for Nike. Nike is an iconic American brand and American company. This country, our system of government and free enterprise have allowed them to prosper and flourish,” the Arizona governor continued.
    “Instead of celebrating American history the week of our nation’s independence, Nike has apparently decided that Betsy Ross is unworthy, and has bowed to the current onslaught of political correctness and historical revisionism,” Ducey tweeted. “It is a shameful retreat for the company. American businesses should be proud of our country’s history, not abandoning it.”

Ducey said he ordered the Arizona Commerce Authority to withdraw “all financial incentive dollars” the state was going to provide for Nike to build a manufacturing plant.
    “Arizona’s economy is doing just fine without Nike. We don’t need to suck up to companies that consciously denigrate our nation’s history,” the governor added. “And finally, it shouldn’t take a controversy over a shoe for our kids to know who Betsy Ross is. A founding mother. Her story should be taught in all American schools. In the meantime, it’s worth googling her.”

More at: https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/a...lin-kaepernick
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Yeah, I’m already boycotting Nike (yes, I have been a past customer), so they can do what they want. Hope they go out of business because of this stupidity and incompetence.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Woke capital.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, I’m already boycotting Nike (yes, I have been a past customer), so they can do what they want. Hope they go out of business because of this stupidity and incompetence.
    #metoo
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    No

No

Yes

JWK

The EqualityAct attempts to exercise legislation authorized under the “Equal RightsAmendment” which was rejected by the American people, and thus, to this degree,the Act is a usurpation of power not granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And hopefully the higher ups that work there never find another job again.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

https://twitter.com/dmartosko/status...92864479469568

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I can't boycott because I don't buy their products. That said I would have boycotted them a long time ago.
    "The Patriarch"

A Georgia clothing company is releasing a Betsy Ross flag t-shirt in objection to Nike’s decision to pull its Fourth of July-themed sneaker collection following concerns raised by former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick that the apparel is racially insensitive.

Nine Line Apparel, a veteran-owned apparel company located in Savannah, Ga., took issue with the fact that Nike canceled what it saw was “patriotic release.” The Georgia company believes the Betsy Ross flag directly represents the “freedom fought and owned by early Americans,” according to a description on its website.
    “Nine Line Apparel, along with relentlessly patriotic Americans everywhere, cannot believe the total ignorance and lack of understanding displayed by both Colin Kaepernick and Nike in relation to our country's Betsy Ross flag, it's symbolism and meaning,” the description reads.

The company added that Nike’s decision to pull the line makes it look like they don’t care about Independence Day.
    “For Colin Kaepernick and Nike to say no to the release of what would have probably been a popular shoe for their summer footwear line is like saying no to our 4th of July holiday,” the website says. “The Betsy Ross flag has a direct correlation with this national patriotic holiday but Kaepernick and Nike don't care.”

In a Facebook post, Nine Line Apparel called out both Nike and Kaepernick, writing, “Apparently, symbols of patriotism are now racist.”

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/clot...164825673.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You are misinformed if you think the civil war was fought over slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey announced Tuesday he’s withdrawing all financial incentive dollars to have Nike Opens a New Window. open a manufacturing plant in the state after a report said the sneaker company pulled its “Betsy Ross Flag” shoes following Colin Kaepernick’s criticism.
    Ducey slammed Nike in a series of tweets, saying he was disappointed by the company’s “terrible decision.” The Wall Street Journal Opens a New Window. reported Monday that Nike pulled its Air Max 1 USA, which featured a Betsy Ross flag, after the former NFL star reached out to the firm and said the 13-star flag created during the American Revolution was offensive and carried slavery connotations.
    "Nike has chosen not to release the Air Max 1 Quick Strike Fourth of July as it featured an old version of the American flag," the company said in a statement to FOX Business. They did not directly address Ducey's tweets.
    “Today was supposed to be a good day in Arizona, with the announcement of a major @nike investment in Goodyear, AZ,” Ducey began his tweets. He then pointed to the Journal report about sneakers being pulled allegedly due to Kaepernick’s criticism of the footwear.
    “Words cannot express my disappointment at this terrible decision. I am embarrassed for Nike. Nike is an iconic American brand and American company. This country, our system of government and free enterprise have allowed them to prosper and flourish,” the Arizona governor continued.
    “Instead of celebrating American history the week of our nation’s independence, Nike has apparently decided that Betsy Ross is unworthy, and has bowed to the current onslaught of political correctness and historical revisionism,” Ducey tweeted. “It is a shameful retreat for the company. American businesses should be proud of our country’s history, not abandoning it.”

Ducey said he ordered the Arizona Commerce Authority to withdraw “all financial incentive dollars” the state was going to provide for Nike to build a manufacturing plant.
    “Arizona’s economy is doing just fine without Nike. We don’t need to suck up to companies that consciously denigrate our nation’s history,” the governor added. “And finally, it shouldn’t take a controversy over a shoe for our kids to know who Betsy Ross is. A founding mother. Her story should be taught in all American schools. In the meantime, it’s worth googling her.”

A little more than a week after pulling state incentives from Nike following its decision to pull its Betsy Ross Flag shoes after former NFL star Colin Kaepernick raised issues around them, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey (R) reversed his stance.
    Ducey tweeted Thursday welcoming a Nike facility to Goodyear, Ariz., saying the company will bring more than 500 jobs and $184 million to the state.

More at: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ag-controversy

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    Not only that, but if they called it “the flag made by an unknown person”, an entire industry would be be upset. Plus all the “school” books.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Nike is gay . Everyone knows that .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    True , my people would have continued to kill and secretly bury any slavers found trespassing on our property regardless of a war .
    Do something Danke

Former NFL quarterback, now activist Colin Kaepernick might have some skeletons in his closet he doesn’t want the world knowing about.
    According to the International Business Times, Kaepernick at one point in his career was in a relationship with a transgender woman (also known as a male).
    Transgender model Mia Isabella said she and San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick were once in a romantic relationship. This is what Mia told ibtimes.com:
    “I loved him very much and he cared for me greatly, but in order to protect his brand I made him walk away from me. Knowing the persecution he would face because I’m a Trans woman.”
    “If I’m honest I have not been very good to my own heart. I’ve burdened her with heavy truths too great for it to bear. Today I tell the truth,” she tweeted. “During the @Tyga scandal someone outed my connection w @Kaepernick7 to discriminate against and persecute us because I’m a Trans woman.
    “There is nothing wrong with loving a Trans woman,” Isabella continued. “It was my heart and soul he loved it wasn’t because of my sexuality. I have to thank @MichaelSamNFL my publicist @misslainie and my grandmother for holding the truths I told them. It hurt me to lose our bond,” she said about Kaepernick, 28.
    So uh, I guess San Francisco really made an impact on Kaepernick.

More at: https://politicalawakening.com/trans...in-kaepernick/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Last edited by Swordsmyth; 09-07-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Is that true? Nope. The Nike ad with Kaepernick didn't debut this week- but a year ago. Nike stock was $82 a share and is currently about $89 a share.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nike-...133049442.html

Nike’s Risky Stand on Kaepernick Was a Win

A year ago this week, Nike Inc. inserted itself into a smoldering cultural and political controversy: It unveiled an advertising campaign celebrating Colin Kaepernick, the former NFL player who had protested police treatment of African-Americans by kneeling during the national anthem.

Almost immediately, there were social media rumblings about a Nike boycott and chatter about whether the ad was a mistake. President Donald Trump said at the time that the athletic apparel giant sent “a terrible message” with the ad, prompting speculation about the potential for a shopper backlash.

Now the impassioned rhetoric and outraged hashtags are all but forgotten. With the benefit of hindsight, it’s clear that the ad campaign — or the uproar that followed — hasn’t hurt Nike at all.

Nike remains an extremely popular brand. In UBS’s latest annual survey of U.S. consumers about athletic brands, Nike received the highest “net promoter score,” a common industry metric meant to capture how likely shoppers are to recommend a brand to a friend. UBS’s survey also found that shoppers’ perceptions of Nike have largely improved or remained unchanged since last year’s survey, which was conducted prior to the Kaepernick controversy.

Another investment bank research report shows enthusiasm for Nike footwear. A Stifel report from August analyzed feedback from more than 100 sneaker retailers about what was in demand during the crucial back-to-school shopping season. Nike was the most popular style in 81% of those store checks, up from 67% during the back-to-school rush last year.

It’s no wonder, then, that Nike’s North America sales growth has been solid since the Kaepernick ad. In fact, this division looked much healthier in the fiscal year ended May 31 than it did the year before.

And what about investors? They have stuck by the company, too. Shares are up nearly 8% since the last trading day before the Kaepernick ad was revealed. Nike’s shares generally have moved with the broader S&P 500 Index in the past year — suggesting that when they did retreat, it was more a reflection of larger market or economic concerns.

Finally, it’s worth noting that in the week after the debut of the ad, none of the analysts tracked by Bloomberg downgraded the stock. Today, the company has more buy ratings than it did a year ago. It is in good shape.

Nike’s experience shows that it is plenty possible for a corporation to take a stand on a politically sensitive issue and not get burned — so long as the foray is well-executed and feels authentic to its longstanding image.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colin-k...gn-2019-07-18/

The ad initially received backlash with some customers burning apparel and vowing to never buy from the company again. Despite the backlash, Nike's stock soared and added nearly $6 billion to the company's value.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-07-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Is that true? Nope. The Nike ad with Kaepernick didn't debut this week- but a year ago. Nike stock was $82 a share and is currently about $89 a share.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nike-...133049442.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colin-k...gn-2019-07-18/
    That article was from last year, they will lose in the long run and the Betsy Ross flag thing will only make it worse.

Gillette found out the hard way and so will NIKE.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That article was from last year, they will lose in the long run and the Betsy Ross flag thing will only make it worse.

Gillette found out the hard way and so will NIKE.
    The Betsy Ross thing is old news too. More fake news.

Doug Doucey also advocates red flag laws, hes an enemy of the people

NOTHING wrong with the Stars and Bars.

It declared the same independence as the Betsy Ross.

It just didn't succeed in gaining Independence.

Had the south won it's war of independence slavery would have phased out, under political pressure, within two generations.

Instead, more than half a million died. The greatest loss in our nations history.

And Federal control of states took us back to the time of being controlled by foreign despots.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 09-08-2019 at 12:07 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.