Thread: SUNY prof:"Seeing poor white people makes me happy. Should I kick him in the face?"

Exclamation SUNY prof:"Seeing poor white people makes me happy. Should I kick him in the face?"

A since deleted screed.

Now you know why your happy, well adjusted kid came home from college as a self loathing, communist, POS.

Seeing poor white people makes me happy

http://archive.vn/2cRrM#selection-713.0-1203.243

June 11, 2019

By Nicholas Powers

“Should I kick him in the face? Hard? No, chill, he’s not worth it. But why is this white boy begging for money in a Black neighborhood? Is he stupid?”

I shake the evil out of my head and go into the subway. He comes every Spring. The homeless white boy flaps down like a dirty migratory bird, makes himself a nest from garbage and sleeps on the sidewalk. A sign on his shopping cart asks for money—I never give. I should tho ‘cause he makes me feel good.

White people begging us for food feels like justice. It feels like Afro-Futurism after America falls. It feels like a Black Nationalist wet dream. It has the feels I rarely feel, a hunger for historical vengeance satisfied so well I rub my belly.

I know it’s not a good look. At least I think I know? I have the ghost of Martin Luther King Jr. in my head like a life coach exhorting me to “be my best self,” “show compassion to those who spite you,” “turn the other cheek” and “don’t give our enemies more reasons to hate us.” I need to kick Martin Luther King Jr. out of my head. Go $#@! another secretary Martin! I need to ask what this white homeless boy means to me.

White homeless poor in the ‘hood are a Rorschach test. I see in them the history of colonization, slavery and mass incarceration that makes their begging Black people for money ironic—if not insulting. You wasted your whiteness! Why should we give to you? Others see that same history, but for them, he is a chance to be MLK’s dream.

Here is a descendant of murderers who killed our ancestors now begging us to save their life. So let’s turn the other cheek! But it’s not always honest. It is the trick of internalized racism that Black anger is transformed into showy altruism to show the “white gaze” that we’re safe—good Negroes. So we aren’t attacked by more powerful whites—instead rewarded by them.

(I, and nobody in family owned slaves. I'm pretty sure Uncle Smedley sent more than a few of you to Wakanda while fighting in Haiti though. But now I'm starting to wish we had...and in 1865 had shipped every last damn one you of back to Mother Africa. - AF)

I saw an older Caribbean woman, devoutly Christian place a container of jerk chicken at his feet. Holy light radiated from her. It was a public lesson to us all, that we shouldn’t let racism poison our souls with hate. “God bless you,” she intoned loudly as if performing Shakespeare in the park. Yet I saw this same Jesus freak walk by a legless brother pushing his wheelchair through traffic, asking for change and she did not even bat an eyelash. He wasn’t worthy. But the white boy is. She saw her best self reflected in his whiteness. She saw her beautiful white soul, doing a white God’s work, on the mirror of white flesh.

Sometimes folks see that same history and want to get even. I saw three brothers run up and spit on him as people cackled at the white boy who wiped sticky gobs from his eyelids. The laughter was cruel, joyful and belly deep. They might as well shook slave chains in his face and said, “Now you get to wear these nigga!”

All these thoughts crashed in my head as I got on the subway. “Help,” a cracked plea jabbed at the quiet. “Help me get something to eat,” a legless Nuyorican pushed his wheelchair between train riders studying their cellphones. Jesus, I thought, did all the homeless get their legs cut off? “Help me,” he asked and no one answered. I saw in his face the African, Native and European bloodlines spilled by war and rape. Just like mine. “Help me get food,” he asked the next rider and the next.

I’ve known Nuyoricans like him my whole life, homeless or shooting heroin in doorways and like an x-ray, saw the history of violence and oppression that created their destruction. I just barely dodged it myself because of a fraught class privilege.

I hear “help” and see the Nuyorican in the wheelchair, or the endless parade of Black men or women holding out crusted hands for pennies. I smell their death. I hear their voices scraped on sidewalks and long nights in the cold. I see their scabbed skin, or gaunt thin lips, or yellow liquored eyes.

I retreat inside myself, waiting until they pass like an image rounding the surface of a soap bubble.

But when a white person begs, maybe a white woman breastfeeding or a young white boy whining like a broken flute, I feel better. Good. It’s not just us. I feel happy. I feel like the scales of justice could shift.

The other day I jogged up the subway stairs and saw the homeless white boy again. “Can you get me something to eat,” he barked out to the river of people passing by. “Someone stole all my $#@!!” Scabs covered his mouth. He was sunburnt and thin. I ignored him but thought “Baby, you stole all mine.” I glanced at his blanket, shopping cart and books. Who is he? Why is he here? Where are his people?

I stopped myself. It’s the Martin Luther King Jr. life-coach again, saying, “Love your enemies! Get to know them as people.” No Dr. King! Today I own my anger. I want to snatch his food and say, “Go beg in a white neighborhood!” And eat it. And rub my belly. And laugh.

I smile. The cruelty cures my internalized racism that forces me to empathize with him—so I can be patted on the head like a good peaceful protester. All my white editors want me to write that way. All the white institutions that pay me want me to feel that way. But I don’t—and saying I don’t is freeing. It pulls the unconscious whiteness out of my brain. I don’t need to see my best or worst self reflected on his skin.

As I walk away, a white man in tailored clothes and exfoliated skin talked to the homeless white boy. His face is a mix of fear and disgust, race loyalty and pity. He’s doing what I did, confronting history.

How do I know? The fear in his tight mouth is disgust. The fear in his eyes is forced and unwanted racial empathy. He’s worried, like many whites are, that as they become the minority, fewer and fewer places will exist where they have power. They worry that at some point the roles will be reversed and they will have to beg for food. He looked at the homeless white boy and saw a hungry ghost, seemingly expelled from some alternate dimension where Europeans are enslaved, segregated and mass incarcerated. He sees the fall of America.

Neither of us ask the kid’s name. We don’t need to. His name is ink-blot. His name is Rorschach. It’s whatever we see in the dark shapes that sleep on the street or pass by us on the train. That occasionally reaches out to us and says, “Help.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There black homeless to on the street to in black communities. But you think this prof would care?

He must not care about black people that are homeless.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

His name is ink-blot. His name is Rorschach.
    You. Just. Don't. Know.

I’ve known Nuyoricans like him my whole life, homeless or shooting heroin in doorways and like an x-ray, saw the history of violence and oppression that created their destruction. I just barely dodged it myself because of a fraught class privilege.
    So the black Puerto Rican's troubles were all caused by the white man's oppression, but the homeless white man's troubles were all his fault and well deserved.

SUNY Prof. Nicholas Powers: ‘Seeing Poor White People Makes Me Happy’

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/...akes-me-happy/

TOM CICCOTTA27 Jun 2019

A professor at SUNY Old Westbury wrote in a blog post entitled “Seeing poor white people makes me happy” that he considered kicking a homeless person in the face because he was a “white boy.”

Earlier this month, SUNY Old Westbury Professor Nicholas Powers penned a column entitled “Seeing poor white people makes me happy.” The column, which is as disturbing as the title suggests, was removed after criticism, although archives of Powers’ article are available.

“Should I kick him in the face? Hard? No, chill, he’s not worth it,” the column, which was highlighted by The College Fix this week, begins. “But why is this white boy begging for money in a Black neighborhood? Is he stupid?”

In a particularly bizarre section of the column, Powers recalls a second encounter he had with the same white homeless person. Powers details his thought process as he passes the young man on the street as he was asking passing strangers for something to eat.

The other day I jogged up the subway stairs and saw the homeless white boy again. “Can you get me something to eat,” he barked out to the river of people passing by. “Someone stole all my $#@!!” Scabs covered his mouth. He was sunburnt and thin. I ignored him but thought “Baby, you stole all mine.” I glanced at his blanket, shopping cart and books. Who is he? Why is he here? Where are his people?

I stopped myself. It’s the Martin Luther King Jr. life-coach again, saying, “Love your enemies! Get to know them as people.” No Dr. King! Today I own my anger. I want to snatch his food and say, “Go beg in a white neighborhood!” And eat it. And rub my belly. And laugh.

SUNY Old Westbury spokesman Michael Kinane told Campus Reform this week that the column was “distasteful” and “hurtful.”

“Associate Professor Nicholas Powers authored an article related to issues of race and class that used language that was distasteful and hurtful regarding a white, homeless person. Dr. Powers’ statements in no way represent or reflect the values or viewpoint of SUNY Old Westbury,” Kinane said in a brief statement. “The points of view expressed were those of Dr. Powers alone and are protected under his right to free speech. He remains a member of our faculty. Dr. Powers has been advised that he does not speak, nor should he suggest at any time, that he is speaking for the college.”

(And I wonder if that would have been SUNY's response if it had been a white man saying the same things about black beggars? Pffft...utterly rhetorical question...of course they would not have. - AF)
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 06-28-2019 at 09:30 AM.

they'd get along fine with the professor of white racism at Florida Gulf Coast University. The only thing in this article that pisses me off is someone actually has a teaching job while holding actual racist beliefs like this, meanwhile people like me just can't get a break when it comes into breaking into the professional world. Indeed, the only reason I got hired in my last part time job was because I wrote down I'm gender neutral.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    they'd get along fine with the professor of white racism at Florida Gulf Coast University. The only thing in this article that pisses me off is someone actually has a teaching job while holding actual racist beliefs like this, meanwhile people like me just can't get a break when it comes into breaking into the professional world. Indeed, the only reason I got hired in my last part time job was because I wrote down I'm gender neutral.
    Sounds like a dream job.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    blimp

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    SUNY Prof. Nicholas Powers: ‘Seeing Poor White People Makes Me Happy’

(And I wonder if that would have been SUNY's response if it had been a white man saying the same things about black beggars? Pffft...utterly rhetorical question...of course they would not have. - AF)
    Exactly. Going back to that story of the other teacher who called kneeing the white baby to death, he resigned but was not fired:
    https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...AP5ZCFBZF7R2E/

Contrast that to this story:
    Michigan School Fires Popular Teacher For Saying ‘Trump Is Our President’

Can anyone guess the race of the teacher in each story? For #2 I'm neither a Trump nor public school supporter but FFS that tweet was so incredibly mild. One of these days someone will be purged for sneezing 'in a racist manner'