Thread: New health alert over antidepressants as study finds a 'rare but serious' risk of suicide for

Exclamation New health alert over antidepressants as study finds a 'rare but serious' risk of suicide for

Imagine my shock stumbling upon this information. [/S]

New health alert over antidepressants as study finds a 'rare but serious' risk of suicide for patients on pills

By BEN SPENCER MEDICAL CORRESPONDENT FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 17:00 EDT, 24 June 2019 |

Taking antidepressants raises the risk of suicide, a study suggests.

Experts last night warned that patients should be told of the dangers before they start taking the pills.

The research found depressed people on the drugs were more than twice as likely to attempt suicide as similar patients who were not taking them.

Study leader Dr Michael Hengartner, of Zurich University in Switzerland, said: ‘We can be confident that these drugs are producing an excess rate of suicides, beyond the depression itself.

‘There is no doubt that this must be a response to the pharmacological effect of the drugs themselves.’

Although the increased risk appears stark, in real terms the researchers calculated only 77 extra suicides per 100,000 patients taking the pills.

Scientists acknowledge that for many people, antidepressants are a lifeline.

But with more patients in Britain taking them than those in almost every other Western country, many doctors believe millions are being put at risk.

Some seven million adults in England took the drugs in 2016/17. The researchers believe that for some, the chemicals in the pills can trigger severe agitation, restlessness and even psychotic episodes.

Dr Hengartner added: ‘I’m not saying no one should be given antidepressants, but doctors should be much more conservative about how they use them. One in six adults being given antidepressants like in the UK – that is alarming.

‘Patients should be informed of the risks and they should be monitored.’

The study found that people prescribed antidepressants were 2.5 times more likely to attempt suicide than depressed people taking placebo pills.

The research, published in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, combined the results of 14 studies involving nearly 32,000 people taking a variety of antidepressants.

The authors stressed that the real-terms rise in risk was small, calculating that for every 100,000 taking the pills, there would be an extra 413 suicide attempts and an extra 77 suicides. But in England, this could add up to thousands of extra suicides.

The highest risk was found to occur in the first four weeks after the treatment begins.

Dr Hengartner said: ‘Our study signals a rare but serious risk that needs to be brought to the attention of practitioners, particularly when starting or stopping antidepressants.’

Psychotherapist Dr James Davies, of the University of Roehampton, said: ‘It is known that antidepressants increase the risk of suicide among young people and adolescents, and for this reason their use is restricted among these patient groups.

‘However, this research indicates that similar risks also occur for some adults.

‘This new evidence should be reviewed by regulators, reflected in clinical guidelines and brought up in conversations between doctors and their patients.’

Professor Wendy Burn, president of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, pointed out that the study was based on US data, and four of the 14 drugs assessed are not available in the UK.

But she added: ‘This is an important issue, which we need to understand better. As with all medications, we need to balance the potential benefits and risks of harm from starting, continuing and stopping their use.

‘It is vital that people prescribed antidepressants are monitored closely, made aware of possible side effects and know how to seek help if they experience them.’

Last month, the Royal College of Psychiatrists acknowledged for the first time that coming off the pills can cause severe side effects lasting months – with the worst-hit suffering nausea, anxiety and insomnia.

And two weeks ago, the European Medicines Agency issued guidance suggesting the most common pills – selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs – can cause long-term loss of sexual function.

I wish someone had warned me of side effects

Steph Williams started hearing the voice in her head barely a day after her GP increased the dose of her antidepressant.

‘It said: “That’s it, we’ve had enough”,’ recalls Steph, 27, of Featherstone, near Wakefield in West Yorkshire.

‘I picked up my phone and started researching how to commit suicide.’

That was in 2016. Steph had been on antidepressants since 2007 when, at the age of 16 and shortly after starting college, she began to suffer panic attacks which developed into agoraphobia. Leaving the house had become a daunting prospect.

Later, she would be diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, a condition in which patients suffer from extreme emotional instability and can literally feel uncomfortable in their own skin. The condition had been triggered by years of bullying and abuse.

In 2007, her family doctor had prescribed citalopram, a type of antidepressant called a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), used to treat depression and panic attacks. He started her on 10mg a day, increasing the dose to 20mg within two months.

She still doesn’t know if the citalopram helped because at about the same time that she started taking the drug she began having regular sessions with a counsellor, a woman she describes as ‘amazing’.

‘She was the first person I had spoken to about the abuse and the bullying,’ Steph recalls. ‘It took two years but she helped me to stand on my own two feet again.’

In 2012, aged 20, Steph had recovered sufficiently to get married and move out of her parents’ home. Her husband, whom she later divorced, was in the military. They moved to a number of different places with his job and in 2016 Steph found herself in Newquay, Cornwall.

Still taking antidepressants – at 18 she had been switched to Cipralex, another type of SSRI – her anxieties came and went. But in August 2016 her remote location and a series of family problems conspired to send her into a spiral of anxiety.

‘Members of my family had serious health issues and I wanted to be there for them, but I was at the other end of the country,’ she says. ‘The stress just built up and I ended up having a nervous breakdown.’

Her GP’s solution was to increase the dose of her drug from 15mg to 20mg – and that was when the nightmare really began.

Suddenly ‘it was like my body was just trying to take off,’ Steph says. ‘My nerves were reacting so badly, it was as if they were vibrating. I couldn’t sit down, I felt a constant need to move, I was sweating and pacing the floor from morning to night. I couldn’t eat or even brush my teeth because I would gag. I couldn’t even talk or hold a pen.’

But what she could do was hear the voice, which was very clearly telling her to kill herself. If she had been left alone for long enough, she believes, she would have done.

‘I managed to text my mum and dad to say “Please help me, please come and get me”,’ and her parents drove down from Yorkshire to take her back home.

But ‘I just put two pairs of trousers in the suitcase’, Steph recalls. ‘I had no intention of living much longer than one week. My parents lived near a bridge over a railway line and I just knew I was going to jump from it.’

Her life was saved, she says, partly because of her fear of leaving the house but mainly because either her mother or father stayed with her constantly.

Back home, she registered with a new surgery and on her first visit, accompanied by her father, she told the GP about her suicidal thoughts. His solution was to switch her from Cipralex to sertraline, another SSRI antidepressant.

The rapid weaning-off from Cipralex – her dose was lowered in 5mg stages from 20g to nothing in just 12 days – ‘felt like hell’. All the symptoms of restlessness and anxiety multiplied and, if anything, she felt even more suicidal.

‘For a while all I could think was that I had to get sufficiently better so I could face leaving the house for long enough to get to the bridge.’

She felt no improvement on the new drug, sertraline, so within a month the GP increased the dose from 50mg a day to 100mg – and added 2mg of diazepam, to be taken for anxiety as needed.

Over the past two years Steph has gradually come to grips with her condition, thanks mainly to compassionate care and counselling as opposed to the drugs, she believes. From time to time, the suicidal thoughts still return and she still suffers significantly from anxiety.

She has nothing but praise for her local mental health team, her local A&E where from time to time she goes ‘to keep myself safe when I start to feel that I might harm myself’ and for her parents, who have provided constant support.

In 2017, Steph felt strong enough to move out of her parents’ small bungalow into a rented home of her own nearby. That same year she and her husband divorced.

Thanks to the support of a government-sponsored training programme, has been able to set up as a nail technician, working at home for a few hours a week. That, she says, ‘has given me a sense of purpose and confidence after such a long time of feeling like I couldn’t do anything’.

She’s still on her daily dose of 100mg of sertraline, but intends to try coming off the drug just as soon as she has managed to wean herself off the diazepam, which has caused physical dependency issues – she’s an administrator for an online benzodiazepine recovery group.

With everything she knows now, Steph wishes she had never been put on antidepressants in the first place.

‘I was 16, I didn’t know anything about the drugs, and nor did my parents – they were just desperate for anything that would help me,’ she says.

‘I obviously needed help but I honestly believe that good counselling, and having someone equip me with the skills necessary for coping for life, would have been a far better solution.’

Now, she says, she hopes others will learn from her story.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pressants.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Depressed people more likely to commit suicide? Who would have thought?

The authors stressed that the real-terms rise in risk was small

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Depressed people more likely to commit suicide? Who would have thought?
    First line: "Taking antidepressants raises the risk of suicide, a study suggests."
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    First line: "Taking antidepressants raises the risk of suicide, a study suggests."
    It also noted;

rise in risk was small
    Scientists acknowledge that for many people, antidepressants are a lifeline.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-26-2019 at 01:14 PM.

THE LINK BETWEEN TEEN SUICIDE AND PSYCHIATRIC DRUGS
    https://www.cchrflorida.org/the-link...hiatric-drugs/

PSYCHIATRIC DRUGS CAUSE SUICIDE
    https://www.cchr.org/documentaries/t...e-suicide.html

THE LINK BETWEEN TEEN SUICIDE AND PSYCHIATRIC DRUGS
    https://www.cchrflorida.org/the-link...hiatric-drugs/

PSYCHIATRIC DRUGS CAUSE SUICIDE
    https://www.cchr.org/documentaries/t...e-suicide.html
    Link does not say there is a connection between teen suicide and psychiatric drugs but says it should be looked into. Headline is misleading saying there is a link when it does not present any evidence or make that claim in the text of the article.

And since most psychiatric treatment today involves psychoactive drugs, the possible connection between increased suicide in teenagers and drug prescription by a psychiatrist must be intensely scrutinized.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-26-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Link does not say there is a connection between teen suicide and psychiatric drugs but says it should be looked into. Headline is misleading saying there is a link when it does not present any evidence or make that claim in the text of the article.
    There are two links there and there is at least two generations of kids that have been on psychotropic drugs that the schools push them into taking if they are bored, can't sit still and don't pay attention to the indoctrinating and rebel.

There are two links there and there is at least two generations of kids that have been on psychotropic drugs that the schools push them into taking if they are bored, can't sit still and don't pay attention to the indoctrinating and rebel.
    The other article also does not prove any link between the drugs and suicides either. It notes that soldiers have committed suicide and that some soldiers have taken psychiatric drugs but does not offer any evidence that drugs or war effects caused their suicides. I took an aspirin one day and stub my toe the next- did the aspirin cause me to stub my toe?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Flash back: Things are only getting worse with people on these psychotropic drugs.

America’s Medicated Army + New Studies Linking SSRI to Suicide
    https://ahrp.org/americas-medicated-...ri-to-suicide/