Thread: A Dozen Cops Swarm, Arrest Man Because He Had an Air Freshener on His Mirror

A Dozen Cops Swarm, Arrest Man Because He Had an Air Freshener on His Mirror

More than a dozen NYPD cops surrounded an innocent man and arrested him, claiming his air freshener was probable cause.

New York, NY — In 2015, TFTP reported on a ruling by the Fifth Circuit US Court of Appeals that said it is suspicious for a vehicle to have air fresheners, rosaries, or pro-police bumper stickers and therefore justifies probable cause for a stop.

The ruling stems from a 2011 Texas court case in which a couple was pulled over for having rosaries hanging from the rearview mirror, as well as a few air fresheners, and a DARE sticker on the back of the vehicle.

Nohemi Pena-Gonzalez was pulled over by Police Officer Mike Tamez when she was driving just 2 MPH over the speed limit. The officer did not pull her over because she was speeding, but because he suspected that she was trafficking drugs, and found the contents of her vehicle and the sticker to be suspicious.

Eventually, the officer questioned her husband, Ruben Pena-Gonzalez, who agreed to allow the officer search to their vehicle. The officer did not find any drugs, but did find a large sum of cash that he confiscated, and then sent Ruben Pena-Gonzalez to jail.

In 2015, the case was taken to the Court of Appeals, where it was decided that Officer Tamez had reasonable suspicion to detain the family and ask to search their vehicle.

The court wrote in its decision that

“We do have concerns that classifying pro-law enforcement and anti-drug stickers or certain religious imagery as indicators of criminal activity risks putting drivers in a classic ‘heads I win, tails you lose’ position. But we need not decide whether these items alone, or in combination with one another, amount to reasonable suspicion because we find the more suspicious evidence to be the array of air fresheners and inconsistencies in the driver’s responses to the officer’s basic questions. We have long recognized that the presence of air fresheners, let alone four of them placed throughout an SUV, suggests a desire to mask the odor of contraband.”

continued..https://thefreethoughtproject.com/ai...r-arrest-nypd/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    that stinks.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Always wondered why my mother had so many of those little Christmas trees in her car.

Appeals that said it is suspicious for a vehicle to have air fresheners, rosaries, or pro-police bumper stickers and therefore justifies probable cause for a stop.
    If you have just 1 pro-police bumper sticker that certainly is suspicious.

Which is why I have 3
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I do not have an air freshener , catholic beads or stickers so I'm good . If I wanted to mask odor I would have a cooler of fish ready for them with my stickerless , non air freshener fishing pole and fishing license with bait finger print stains on it .
    Do something Danke

''We have long recognized that the presence of air fresheners, let alone four of them placed throughout an SUV, suggests a desire to mask the odor of contraband.”

So this fuching idiot isn't able to make the minor stretch that everything is probably cause, combed hair
    clean finger nails, properly bathed, wearing clothes, so all this sht is probable cause right.
    Fuching moron.

:facepalm:

The bulk of law enforcement today is used for unconstitutional purposes .