Thread: Boris leads the race to be next UK Prime Minister

Boris leads the race to be next UK Prime Minister

Boris Johnson leads the race to be the UK's next PM with 140 or so votes of Members of Parliament. There's a further round of voting tomorrow. Once they're down to 2 then it goes to the members to choose. Boris is basically guaranteed to be in the final 2 and is popular among party members so is the bookmakers favorite to win.

Boris claims he's going to deliver Brexit by October 31st deal or no deal. I'm not sure I trust him but his position is better than the other candidates.

Here's his campaign video:

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/sta...63459045466112

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    During the debate last night Johnson hedged on Brexit. Third round voting results due today. While a small majority voted in favor of Brexit, there has been no agreement on just what that means or how to accomplish it. Two more ballots tomorrow will whittle the list down to two and the winner chosen the week of July 22nd- giving the finalists to campaign for the job.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48688703

During the TV debate, Mr Javid appeared to secure a commitment from the other candidates that they would approve an independent inquiry into Islamophobia.

However, there was less agreement on whether and how the UK could leave the EU by 31 October.

Ex-Foreign Secretary Mr Johnson said it would be "eminently feasible" but avoided offering an absolute guarantee.

Mr Gove and Mr Hunt said extra time might be needed. Mr Stewart said he would try to push through Theresa May's Brexit deal which has already been rejected by MPs three times.

Only Mr Javid committed firmly to 31 October.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-19-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Wrong Zippy. If you watch the video you'll see Johnson saying he will deliver Brexit by October 31st deal or no deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Wrong Zippy. If you watch the video you'll see Johnson saying he will deliver Brexit by October 31st deal or no deal.
    Video is at least two weeks old- the statement was live on TV last night. Politicians always hedge their bets.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/12/u...gbr/index.html

In his prepared remarks, Johnson worked hard to cement his position as frontrunner and made what appeared to be a firm commitment to take Britain out of the European Union on the latest deadline of October 31 -- with or without a deal.

"After three years and two missed deadlines, we must leave the EU on October 31. And we must do better than the current Withdrawal Agreement, which has been rejected three times," Johnson said.

Such solid support for a no-deal exit was designed for the ears of the people who will choose Britain's next Prime Minister -- the 150,000 or so members of the Conservative Party, who are largely, old, white, and, well, conservative.

But part of his tactic is to appeal to all sections of the party -- in particular some of the more moderate Members of Parliament whose support he needs in the initial stages of the contest. So Johnson clarified that he was "not aiming for a no-deal outcome," merely that is was "responsible to prepare for it."

And in a sign of what a Johnson negotiating strategy might look like, he said that taking no-deal off the table would rob the UK of an essential "negotiating tool" in getting concessions from Brussels.

Despite this lack of clarity on the most important question in British politics, the speech did nothing to quash the idea that this leadership contest is Johnson's to lose.
    This evasiveness stretched to a question on precisely how he planned to renegotiate the Brexit deal that May struck with the EU. Nor did he give any solid answers on how he would prepare the public for the possibility of a no-deal Brexit outcome.

And when pushed on controversial remarks he has made in the past, such as saying women who wear Islamic face veils look like "letter boxes," Johnson brushed off the question with a comment about people being afraid to speak their mind on sensitive issues.

Yet despite this perceived slipperiness, Johnson remains streets ahead of his rivals. His message to the largely pro-Brexit Conservative base is a powerful one. All other serious rivals have given even flakier answers on what they would do as the October 31 deadline looms.

Johnson, at least for now, is the only candidate with a chance of winning who is prepared to say that the UK will be out of the EU by November, one way or another.
    None of the candidates has been willing to discuss what may come after Brexit.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-19-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

https://news.yahoo.com/the-big-hole-...085149610.html

If Johnson fails to make progress but still wants to leave the EU by 31 October, Britain would have to leave without a deal.

This would mean a chaotic end to current frictionless trade, leading to immediate new border delays and checks on many types of trade in and out of Britain. Some areas could see trade stopped altogether, as they would be left unregulated.

Countless businesses and experts have warned this could be catastrophic for the UK, potentially disrupting the flow of vital everyday goods and services from medical devices to car parts to groceries.

The Bank of England has warned unemployment and food prices could soar, the pound could crash and house prices could plunge by as much as a third.

The only way Britain would be allowed to maintain reasonably free trade in some sectors with the EU would be by lowering trade barriers to all countries, not just European ones.

That could see Britain flooded with cheaper goods and services from across the world, which are currently locked out of the EU market.

Under the government’s current plans for this kind of scenario, many British producers including steel and bicycle makers could be devastated by the increased foreign competition.

Third round results: Rory Stewart out. https://www.theguardian.com/politics...082364d7ced356

Third ballot Tory leadership results

And here are the results with changes from yesterday, and overall percentages (rounded up).

Boris Johnson - 143 - up 17 - 46%

Jeremy Hunt - 54 - up 8 - 17%

Michael Gove - 51 - up 10 - 16%

Sajid Javid - 38 - up 5 - 12%

Rory Stewart - 27 - down 6 - 9%

Zippy, your spouting Remain propaganda. A no deal scenario does not mean terrible consequences.

Zippy, your spouting Remain propaganda. A no deal scenario does not mean terrible consequences.
    How do you see it play out if there is "no deal"? It won't be business as usual. Tariffs on UK goods would automatically go into place. Travel and trade would be less free than is now.

They will certainly get the chance to find out. No matter who wins the Conservative Party leadership contest, Parliament will not be able to agree on any treaty so it will default to a "hard Brexit". The only question seems to be when that happens.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-19-2019 at 01:02 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    How do you see it play out if there is "no deal"? It won't be business as usual. Tariffs on UK goods would automatically go into place. Travel and trade would be less free than is now.

They will certainly get the chance to find out. No matter who wins the Conservative Party leadership contest, Parliament will not be able to agree on any treaty so it will default to a "hard Brexit". The only question seems to be when that happens.
    There is substantial trade deficit between the UK and the EU so tariffs will hurt EU exporters more.

Video is at least two weeks old- the statement was live on TV last night. Politicians always hedge their bets.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/12/u...gbr/index.html

None of the candidates has been willing to discuss what may come after Brexit.
    What's your point?

Are you trying to say that people who want Brexit don't have anybody to vote for because this guy doesn't actually want to push through Brexit? Or do you think he meant it will be politically difficult to accomplish his goals?

Do you think somebody who wants Brexit should not vote for him because it isn't very feasible politically? Or do you think they should vote for the candidate who supports Brexit the most?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

There is substantial trade deficit between the UK and the EU so tariffs will hurt EU exporters more.
    Tariffs hurt both sides. UK exporters would be hurt because their goods would be more expensive to sell in the EU (which will then be able to buy cheaper from somebody else or make their own) and UK consumers will face higher prices for goods which they import. Half of UK imports come from the EU and about 44% of their exports are to the EU. Exports account for 30% of the UK GDP. One quarter of their food is imported from the EU and 70% of their food exports go to the EU. Any restrictions or reduction in trade as a result of Brexit will have a big impact.

By comparison, the US gets 15% of their imports from China. Exports only account for 13% of our GDP and imports are equal to about 17%. We are much less dependent on trade than the UK is.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-19-2019 at 03:29 PM.

I'm not going to take the bait Zippy. The UK voted to leave the EU and that result should be respected.

I'm not going to take the bait Zippy. The UK voted to leave the EU and that result should be respected.
    The results could very well be different if taken today. It did not pass by much. The problem is that people voted on it for different reasons with different expectations of what leaving may mean and how to get there. Now they can't agree on that so whatever happens, most will be unhappy. Many want the befits the EU brought without the EU being able to tell them what to do.

There are three contenders left. We will know the final 2 very soon. It looks to be Boris Johnson vs Michael Gove.

Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt will face off against each other with results due by July 22. Now all of the party members get to vote.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48711077

Jeremy Hunt will face Boris Johnson in the race to be the next Tory leader and PM, after Michael Gove was eliminated in the final ballot of the party's MPs.

Environment Secretary Mr Gove was supported by 75 MPs - just two votes short of Mr Hunt's 77.

Mr Johnson, who was backed by 160 Conservative MPs, said he was looking forward to "getting out across the UK" and to set out his Brexit plan.

He and Mr Hunt will now be put to a vote of around 160,000 party members.

The winner will be announced in the week of 22 July.
    More at link.

Returds on RPF propagandizing for remain, LOL.
    How to plug a TWEET in post [ TWEET] [/TWEET ]

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt will face off against each other with results due by July 22. Now all of the party members get to vote.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48711077

More at link.

Hunt is a Remainer. Boris is 1/20 with the bookmakers. It's going to be an easy win for him.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Farage walked through his logic at a Telegraph-hosted event, saying that if Johnson were to make sufficient preparations for a no-deal Brexit, he might spur the EU to offer "some sort of tariff-free deal".

So basically if they agree to leave without any deal, they might be able to ask for an amazing deal? Wouldn't that require a deal and then not be a "no deal" exit? Not gonna happen. As Howie Mandel once said, "Deal, or No Deal".

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...hunt-1-6120883

Poll puts Boris Johnson in second place behind Jeremy Hunt

The momentum behind Boris Johnson's bid to become prime minister was losing steam after the news broke that police visited his home on Friday.

A new shock poll by Survation for the Mail on Sunday found that Jeremy Hunt was now in the lead with the wider public.

Two online surveys taken by the newspaper - one before the news broke on Thursday and one afterwards on Saturday - found Johnson's lead of eight points over Jeremy Hunt had turned into a three point deficit.

When Survation carried out their poll on Thursday, it found 36% said Johnson would make the best PM, with 28% backing Hunt.

But a second survey on Saturday saw Johnson's ratings drop to 29%, while 32% supported Hunt.

Among Tory voters, Johnson's lead when asked who would make the best prime minister had slumped from 27% to 11% in the same period.

Johnson led Hunt 55% to 28%, on Thursday, but this narrowed to 45%-34% by Saturday, according to the survey.

When all voters were asked whether the incident had made them more likely or less likely to back Johnson as leader, more than a third, 35%, said less likely - and just 9% more likely.
    It should be noted that only members of the Conservative Party will be voting on the Prime Minister.

More than half of all voters, 53%, said Johnson's private life was relevant to his ability to be prime minister, and three quarters said that a person's character was "relevant" to the contest.

Survation's chief executive, Damian Lyons Lowe, told the newspaper: "It is unusual to see a politician's private life having this level of salience among voters."

But in a seperate poll by ComRes for the Sunday Telegraph, Johnson had a 20 point lead over Hunt among grassroots Tory councillors.

In polling conducted before and after the story broke, 61% were backing Johnson compared to 39% for Hunt.

Meanwhile in the Observer a Opinium survey of Westminster voting intentions puts Labour in the lead on 26% (up 4 points compared with last month), with the Brexit party on second place on 23% (down three) and the Tories in third place on 20% (up three). The Liberal Democrats are unchanged on 16%.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-23-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Polls here tell a different story from the Sun. https://whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-...-poll-results/

"In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU?"

Right: 41%
    Wrong: 47%
    Don't know: 12%

"If there were another referendum on Britain's membership in the EU, how would you vote?"

Remain: 52%
    Leave: 45%
    Don't know: 3%

"If there was a referendum tomorrow with the option of accepting the government’s Brexit agreement or remaining in the EU, which would you support?"

Remain in the EU: 42%
    Go With Government Brexit Agreement: 28%
    Don't Know: 31%

"If there was a referendum tomorrow with the option of leaving the EU without a deal or remaining in the EU, which would you support?"

Leave the EU without a deal: 43%
    Remain in the EU: 47%
    Don't Know: 10%

"How confident are you that Boris Johnson would get a good deal for Britain in negotiations with EU leaders if he were Prime Minister?"

Very confident: 15%
    Fairly Confident: 26%
    Not Very Confident: 17%
    Not at All Confident: 36%
    Don't know: 6%

"How confident are you that Jeremy Hunt would get a good deal for Britain in negotiations with EU leaders if he was Prime Minister?"

Very Confident: 5%
    Fairly Confident: 32%
    Not Very Confident: 24%
    Not At All Confident: 28%
    Don't Know: 11%

"How confident are you that Nigel Farage would get a good deal for Britain in negotiations with EU leaders if he was Prime Minister?"

Very confident: 14%
    Fairly confident: 19%
    Not very confident: 17%
    Not confident at all: 44%
    Don't know: 6%

The EU has said they are done negotiating. No new deals.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-27-2019 at 06:44 PM.