Thread: Alaska Supreme Court rules state sex offender registry law unconstitutional

Alaska Supreme Court rules state sex offender registry law unconstitutional

The Alaska Supreme Court ruled that a state law requiring the registry of all sex offenders is unconstitutional because it violates offenders' rights to due process. The ruling was issued Friday.
    In a 3-2 decision, the court said an offender must be given the chance to prove he or she is rehabilitated and no longer remains a threat to the public.
    “Our decision requiring an individualized risk-assessment hearing is based on the judicial power,” the court wrote in its opinion. If an offender "can show at a hearing that he does not pose a risk requiring registration, then there is no compelling reason requiring him to register, and the fact that ASORA does not provide for such a hearing means that the statute is unnecessarily broad.”

The court, however, upheld a lower court ruling mandating the registration of sex offenders upon moving to Alaska if they were required to register in another state as well.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/us/alaska-su...constitutional
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can't argue against this;

A crime is a crime, so for this to be humane all crimes should require
    adherence to a 'Registry' .

I especially feel bad about someone that was caught peeing behind the bar , having
    to register as a sex offender , our society if fubar.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    I can't argue against this;

A crime is a crime, so for this to be humane all crimes should require
    adherence to a 'Registry' .

I especially feel bad about someone that was caught peeing behind the bar , having
    to register as a sex offender , our society if fubar.
    Those that should be on a registry for life should either be dead or imprisoned for life.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Those that should be on a registry for life should either be dead or imprisoned for life.
    There are people on the sex offender registry for life because they were seniors in HS dating freshmen in HS and didn't stop once they turned 18. That makes no sense.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    There are people on the sex offender registry for life because they were seniors in HS dating freshmen in HS and didn't stop once they turned 18. That makes no sense.
    Yes, there needs to be a rule that you can't be a sex offender if the other person is less than X years different in age even if they are underage.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We need to examine why murderers / rapists / kindnappers / torturers , don't have this 'registry' , those that who have preyed on
    the elderly, youth, or those that have completely ruined lives financially.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jmdrake again.

We need to examine why murderers / rapists / kindnappers / torturers , don't have this 'registry' , those that who have preyed on
    the elderly, youth, or those that have completely ruined lives financially.
    Rapists aren't on the sex offender registry?

All of the people you listed should be executed or imprisoned for life.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rapists aren't on the sex offender registry?

All of the people you listed should be executed or imprisoned for life.

I never heard of a rapist being required to go door to door and broadcast the
    fact that he has raped, same as a murderer ,( and isn't that a far worse crime
    than fking someone a grade lower than yours......)
    I think that is pretty much the essence of this
    so called registry.

Is this a PR stunt by Alaska to boost tourism? or population?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

I never heard of a rapist being required to go door to door and broadcast the
    fact that he has raped, same as a murderer ,( and isn't that a far worse crime
    than fking someone a grade lower than yours......)
    I think that is pretty much the essence of this
    so called registry.
    That's insane, I always thought that rapists were the justification for the registry and then they expanded it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Alaska Supreme Court ruled that a state law requiring the registry of all sex offenders is unconstitutional because it violates offenders' rights to due process. The ruling was issued Friday.
    In a 3-2 decision, the court said an offender must be given the chance to prove he or she is rehabilitated and no longer remains a threat to the public.
    “Our decision requiring an individualized risk-assessment hearing is based on the judicial power,” the court wrote in its opinion. If an offender "can show at a hearing that he does not pose a risk requiring registration, then there is no compelling reason requiring him to register, and the fact that ASORA does not provide for such a hearing means that the statute is unnecessarily broad.”

The court, however, upheld a lower court ruling mandating the registration of sex offenders upon moving to Alaska if they were required to register in another state as well.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/us/alaska-su...constitutional
    Finally.

Tell me about it...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.