Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump-appointed judge upheld his bumpfire stock ban

Trump-appointed judge upheld his bumpfire stock ban

This is for @Swordsmyth and others who think that Trump appointed "conservative" judges while save us from his 2nd amendment overreach.

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/fe...ump-stock-ban/
    A federal judge in Washington ruled late Monday that the Trump administration’s ban on rapid-fire rifle attachments known as bump stocks can move forward, stymieing efforts by gun-rights groups that sought to block the new policy.

In a 64-page decision, U.S. District Judge Dabney L. Friedrich found that the Firearms Policy Coalition and other groups did not put forth any convincing legal arguments in favor of stopping the Trump administration from carrying out the ban, which targets a device used in the 2017 Las Vegas massacre, the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

Friedrich, a 2017 appointee of President Trump to the District of Columbia, ruled it was “reasonable” of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to conclude that a bump-stock, which uses the recoil energy from a rifle to automatically fire the next round, performs the same function as a machine gun and should therefore be banned just like machine guns under federal law.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who could have guessed?

Vacillating GOP presidents who used to be democrats give us the best gun control.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Friedrich, huh?

Sounds like he isn't even a real Mayflower descendant; no wonder!

As for why Trump appointed him, or signed the bill in the the first place, that's obviously something something deep state something something.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Vacillating GOP presidents who used to be democrats give us the best gun control.
    Thats why you should never trust any Republican whose had a history of being a Democrat.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Friedrich, huh?

Sounds like he isn't even a real Mayflower descendant; no wonder!

As for why Trump appointed him, or signed the bill in the the first place, that's obviously something something deep state something something.
    That's not the theory, it goes like this. Trump is trying to con the deep state, fool them into believing that he is working for them when in reality, he is plotting behind their backs to backstab them. The wall and immigration cuts, budget cuts, ending foreign adventurism, exposing the elite pedos, draining the swamp etc etc are all coming once he gets the upper hand. Nobodies on an insignificant political forum know this but the deep state doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    That's not the theory, it goes like this. Trump is trying to con the deep state, fool them into believing that he is working for them when in reality, he is plotting behind their backs to backstab them. The wall and immigration cuts, budget cuts, ending foreign adventurism, exposing the elite pedos, draining the swamp etc etc are all coming once he gets the upper hand. Nobodies on an insignificant political forum know this but the deep state doesn't.
    The deepstate does know, that is why they launched the coup attempt and several assassination attempts.

The OP isn't good but just one judge doesn't mean anything.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The deepstate does know, that is why they launched the coup attempt and several assassination attempts.

If they know then why is Trump still pretending to be on their side? this makes no sense.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But you don't know when it's going to happen.

Take the federal debt held by the public ($16 trillion), divided by the federal budget ($4 trillion), and what do you get?

Take Trump's birth month (June), add the average number of times he says "great" per sentence (5), and what do you get?
    November

How's Trump's eyesight?

If they know then why is Trump still pretending to be on their side? this makes no sense.
    The swamp is full of factions, Trump cuts deals with those that are willing while he consolidates power and begins turning the coup attempt around.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The swamp has been so well drained it now twice as big as it used to be.

My concern is that this would reignite attacks on MAGA courts picks that had earlier surfaced after it was leaked that his SCOTUS picks while advertized as 'conservatives' to the base but in reality were former CFR member/ pro abortion leaning. MAGA was called a RINO.

This would also not help bringing back alienated conservatives like GOA leaders:

'He's a fraud and has betrayed us twice now'

'Gun-grabber-in-chief': Conservatives turn on Trump as threat to confiscate guns prompts Second Amendment-related outrage

Thursday 1 March 2018

Donald Trump has sparked fury among gun owners and conservatives after repeatedly backing proposals to tighten gun control laws.

The US President called for a “beautiful” bill that would expand background checks on gun buyers, prevent mentally ill people from accessing firearms, and restrict teenagers from buying assault weapons.

The 71-year-old's comments in the hour-long televised meeting with politicians put him at odds with the National Rifle Association (NRA), the gun lobbying organisation which made record contributions to his 2016 presidential campaign.

Read more

Michael Hammond, lawyer for Gun Owners of America, another gun group with more than a million members, accused Mr Trump of becoming the “gun-grabber-in-chief”.

“If he succeeds in doing everything he talked about in the meeting, he will far surpass Barack Obama as an enemy of the Second Amendment,” he said.
    After the meeting, far-right news outlet Breitbart ran a headline reading: "Trump the Gun Grabber: Cedes Dems' Wish List— Bump Stocks, Buying Age, 'Assault Weapons,' Background Checks.”
    Many conservatives also took to social media to express their outrage.

Tonight's Podcast: Trump was terrible today during a bipartisan meeting on guns, said due process should come after gun confiscation, more. https://t.co/5ZYR7TNFiZ #tcot
    — Joe Walsh (@WalshFreedom) March 1, 2018

Democrat Joe Manchin and Republican Pat Toomey, who were both at the White House meeting, now plan to reintroduce a failed 2013 bill that would impose background checks for all commercial gun purchases.
    Mr Trump accused Mr Toomey of being “afraid of the NRA” after the senator told the President his bill did not include a ban on 18- to 21-year-olds buying assault weapons.
    “Some of you people are petrified of the NRA. You can’t be petrified,” he added.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8234606.html

This is the dumb suit that is alleging procedural violations, not that there's a 2nd amendment violation. Of course this one is going to fail.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Whodathunk

It’s not like his On the Record hasn’t been available since before the primaries.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    This is the dumb suit that is alleging procedural violations, not that there's a 2nd amendment violation. Of course this one is going to fail.
    You are wrong on so many levels. The procedural violations are the problem. The last time we had an assault weapons ban, which included a ban on "hellfire triggers" that had the same effect as bumpfire stocks, the ban was upheld by the federal courts despite 2nd amendment challenges.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...lt_Weapons_Ban

The only reason we don't have an assault weapons ban now is that the last one was allowed to expire in 2004. Thank heavens a sunset provision was put in the 1994 bill! What Trump has done is to re-enact one of the provisions of the assault weapons ban through executive order. If this "procedural violation" is allowed to stand, expect other provisions of the assault weapons ban to go forward in the future. As some point there will be a mass shooting where the shooter "bump fires" either using a rubber band or a belt loop. Belt loop or rubber band bump firing won't work without a pistol grip or thumbhole stock and even if you could bumpfire without a pistol grip or thumbhole stock, it would still be impractical without a large capacity magazine. Guess what was also in the 1994 assault weapons ban? Bans on pistol grips, thumbhole stocks and large capacity magazines! As a large capacity magazine can be made at home with 3D printing, the only way to really ban them is to ban guns that can take magazines. Democrat presidential candidate Kamala Harris has picked up on the idea of an assault weapons ban by executive order. A new gun ban can be stopped in congress. Executive orders are almost impossible to stop.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Yep. Ronald Reagan gave us the machine gun ban and backed the Brady Bill.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    You are wrong on so many levels. The procedural violations are the problem. The last time we had an assault weapons ban, which included a ban on "hellfire triggers" that had the same effect as bumpfire stocks, the ban was upheld by the federal courts despite 2nd amendment challenges.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...lt_Weapons_Ban

The only reason we don't have an assault weapons ban now is that the last one was allowed to expire in 2004. Thank heavens a sunset provision was put in the 1994 bill! What Trump has done is to re-enact one of the provisions of the assault weapons ban through executive order. If this "procedural violation" is allowed to stand, expect other provisions of the assault weapons ban to go forward in the future. As some point there will be a mass shooting where the shooter "bump fires" either using a rubber band or a belt loop. Belt loop or rubber band bump firing won't work without a pistol grip or thumbhole stock and even if you could bumpfire without a pistol grip or thumbhole stock, it would still be impractical without a large capacity magazine. Guess what was also in the 1994 assault weapons ban? Bans on pistol grips, thumbhole stocks and large capacity magazines! As a large capacity magazine can be made at home with 3D printing, the only way to really ban them is to ban guns that can take magazines. Democrat presidential candidate Kamala Harris has picked up on the idea of an assault weapons ban by executive order. A new gun ban can be stopped in congress. Executive orders are almost impossible to stop.
    Drake is 100% correct here.

El Jefe Naranjo has set a disastrous precedent with this move.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Ah so it's not a second amendment issue then, in before armchair constitution experts scream "shall not be infringed!"
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Yep. Ronald Reagan gave us the machine gun ban and backed the Brady Bill.
    Yup, the only actual, no $#@!, for real ban on sales of a particular type of firearm came from Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    One judge right now means the ban is upheld. The Supreme Court could have issued a temporary injunction while waiting to hear the case, something that is often done if they are sure a law will ultimately be overturned, but they declined to do so despite having two MAGA appointees. I'm curious though. Which Trump appointed federal district judges do you think would rule correctly on this issue? The case could have been filed in any federal court. I'm sure the lawyers who filed it would like your insight on the Trump appointed judges who are the most likely to go against Trump on the issue of gun control.

Also, according to @nikcers, the "reason" for the bumpfire stock ban was to "take away the democratic talking point." (It hasn't gone anywhere. It's just emboldened them to push for a new assault weapons ban.) But assuming that theory is correct, the only way a MAGA judge can help Trump continue to "take away the democratic talking point" is to uphold the bumpfire stock ban. Of course the only sure way to really take away the democratic talking point on guns is to ban all guns. Then democrats will never be able to use gun control as a political issue. Hallelujah we will have been saved from the evil democrats and all it will cost us is our freedom! /sacrcasm

Ah so it's not a second amendment issue then, in before armchair constitution experts scream "shall not be infringed!"
    There is a second amendment problem, but the U.S. Supreme Court has a long history now of upholding violations of the 2nd amendment. I don't expect it to change all of a sudden and say "You know what? Our institution was wrong all these years on that. Sorry!" Sure, most of the justices who were around when these violations were passed are now dead (with the exception of RBG), but the Senate always makes sure that whoever the confirm believes in "stare decisis" which basically means "If our predecessors came up with a stupid decision and that stupid decision has been relied upon for years I will not overturn it unless I have a really, really good reason to do so." That's why Roe v Wade is still around despite all of the "conservative" justices that have been put on the SCOTUS since then.

What in the world are you getting at here? Do you deny that we have a basic right to own bump stocks that the government is obligated not to infringe?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    What in the world are you getting at here? Do you deny that we have a basic right to own bump stocks that the government is obligated not to infringe?
    I'm a realist, and the reality is there are already innumerable regulations in place around firearms and firearm accessories that have withstood challenges, if you disagree then it means the founders failed to adequately enshrine necessary protections. To fix their failures is a political problem where you have to convince your fellow countryman on the issue, and your not going to convince many people that we should all be able to buy machine guns. So that's another failure, and so people come on forums like this, comfortable to be in the company of like minded individuals, insulated from their failures, and it feels good to scream "shall not be infringed!"

Where's the politicians calling for repeal of the unconstitutional 1934 NFA? They don't exist. Ask yourself why don't they exist?

I'm a realist, and the reality is there are already innumerable regulations in place around firearms and firearm accessories that have withstood challenges, if you disagree then it means the founders failed to adequately enshrine necessary protections. To fix their failures is a political problem where you have to convince your fellow countryman on the issue, and your not going to convince many people that we should all be able to buy machine guns. So that's another failure, and so people come on forums like this, comfortable to be in the company of like minded individuals, insulated from their failures, and it feels good to scream "shall not be infringed!"

Where's the politicians calling for repeal of the unconstitutional 1934 NFA? They don't exist. Ask yourself why don't they exist?
    I don't see you answering my question here.

But if I understand your point, the bottom line for you is that you see nothing wrong with Trump banning bump stocks by executive order and you resent the fact that people would complain about it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see you answering my question here.

But if I understand your point, the bottom line for you is that you see nothing wrong with Trump banning bump stocks by executive order and you resent the fact that people would complain about it.
    I view it as in line with current law and regulations and not subject to 2nd amendment protections from government limitations. The Libertarian in me may wish those laws didn't exist but the current political reality is heavily in favor of these limitations and that's not going to change no matter how much we complain amongst ourselves. I only wish to share facts and encourage objectivity. See sig.

Going into 2016 there was realistic momentum to repeal the Class II NFA requirements on suppressors and repeal the Class III NFA restrictions on new sales of newly made automatic weapons.

Rand was in favor of it, among others.

All gone now...squandered by a feckless GOP congress and Trump, who flails about like a drunken monkey.

Because democrats love their gun grabbing politicians and republicans are willing to make excuses for their gun grabbing politicians based on the belief that "Well at least they aren't democrats." Hence that's why I started this thread. I'm sick and tired of the excuse making some here do for Donald Trump on this issue. There should be calls for his impeachment from the right based on his bumpfire stock ban. People on the right should have called for Ronald Reagan's resignation for the machine gun ban. But no. Republicans and (some) libertarians only get their panties in a wad over gun grabbing by democrats, some of it real, some of it only perceived, and give their own a pass on the issue. When's the last time you saw dems give other dems a pass on gun control or abortion or any other issue important to them?

I view it as in line with current law and regulations and not subject to 2nd amendment protections from government limitations.
    In post 23 you said that current laws were unconstitutional. Were you referring to some part of the Constitution other than the Second Amendment?

Going into 2016 there was realistic momentum to repeal the Class II NFA requirements on suppressors and repeal the Class III NFA restrictions on new sales of newly made automatic weapons.

Rand was in favor of it, among others.

All gone now...squandered by a feckless GOP congress and Trump, who flails about like a drunken monkey.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

Oh if I could only trade in MAGA for a drunken monkey.

Jackie Chan, your adoring public is calling.

In post 23 you said that current laws were unconstitutional. Were you referring to some part of the Constitution other than the Second Amendment?
    That was more of a hypothetical thought experiment, sorry for the confusion . The reason you don't see politicians calling it unconstitutional and to repeal it or the judiciary overturning it? Well one option is maybe because it is constitutional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast