Thread: Trump looking to back Amash primary challenger

Trump looking to back Amash primary challenger

Trump looks to squash Amash
    The president has discussed with aides backing a primary challenge against the lone Republican impeachment supporter.

By ALEX ISENSTADT
    06/12/2019

Donald Trump and his top allies are moving to make Justin Amash pay for becoming the sole Republican congressman to call for the president’s impeachment.

Trump and his top advisers have discussed the prospect of backing a primary challenge to the Michigan lawmaker — a highly unusual move for a president against a member of his own party that would effectively amount to a warning shot to other Republicans thinking of crossing him. The conversations come as the billionaire DeVos family, which has deep ties to the administration and remains one of Michigan’s most powerful families, has announced it will cut off the congressman. That move could send a signal to other conservative donors deciding whether to invest in Amash.

Trump has raised the primary challenge idea with Vice President Mike Pence and North Carolina Rep. Mark Meadows, a close Trump ally who co-founded the conservative House Freedom Caucus with Amash. Trump has also addressed the subject with Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel, a former Michigan GOP leader who remains influential in the state.

Those who’ve spoken with the president say he’s made no firm decision about taking on Amash, who’s accused the president of engaging in “impeachable conduct” and left the door open to a third-party campaign for president. Trump, they point out, is mostly focused on his own reelection and often cools down after he has time to process a slight. There are also potential risks: Trying to unseat Amash could elevate him or turn him into a martyr.

Others in the president’s inner circle are skeptical that Amash, whose office did not respond to a request for comment, will even seek reelection.

more:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...-amash-1361452

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's what he get's for challenging the Orange Emperor.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    As is regularly pointed out on this forum, Trump is an idiot, a liar, and regularly uses bloated exaggeration so why would anyone put much stock into what he says? I think it's easy to figure Trump out. Sorry you are still confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is a lie.
    @Brian4Liberty, devil keeps spreading this lie.
    I will report violations of the forum rules to the forum staff when they are egregious enough.

You should remember that.

Exclusive: Amash says Trump ‘not popular’ in his district

U.S. Rep. Justin Amash | Gage Skidmore, Flickr

WASHINGTON — U.S. Rep. Justin Amash (Cascade Twp.) isn’t stressing over reports that President Donald Trump and his allies have considered backing a primary challenge to the West Michigan Republican.

“The president’s not popular in my district, and it hasn’t been close in terms of how well I’ve done compared to how well he’s done,” Amash told the Michigan Advance Wednesday morning in a brief interview on Capitol Hill.

His comments came after Politico reported earlier Wednesday that Trump and his advisers were weighing whether to back a challenge to Amash after he became the lone Republican member of Congress to call for Trump’s impeachment.

Days after Amash wrote on Twitter last month that Trump had “engaged in impeachable conduct,” two primary challengers announced they were running to unseat the congressman. Trump made no secret of his disdain for the congressman, calling Amash a “total lightweight” and a “loser” on Twitter.

But Amash doesn’t think Trump’s backing will help a challenger win his seat.

“I don’t think it helps anyone in my district to have the president’s support,” Amash said Wednesday.

Amash’s 3rd District voted for Trump in 2016 by a margin of 9.4 points, according to Associated Press data. Amash won his race that year against Democrat Douglas Smith by 22 points. Amash won in 2018 against Democrat Cathy Albro by 11.2 points, even as Democrats swept into office in other key state races, including the governorship.

And Trump’s approval rate has plummeted in Michigan since he took office. Between Jan. 2017 and Feb. 2019, his approval rating in the state dropped by 23 percentage points, Newsweek reported.

Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel, a former Michigan GOP chair, is barred under party rules from supporting primary candidates. But she told Politico it’s “sad to see Congressman Amash parroting the Democrats’ talking points on Russia.”

She added, “Voters in Amash’s district strongly support this president and would rather their congressman work to support the president’s policies that have brought jobs, increased wages and made life better for Americans.”

Current Michigan GOP Chair Laura Cox hasn’t held back her anger with Amash, tweeting last month, “While President @realDonaldTrump’s leadership has led to the strongest economy in a generation, Justin Amash has opposed his ‘America First’ agenda every step of the way.”

She added that she believes the congressman spoke out against Trump in a “desperate attempt to grab headlines and advance his own presidential ambitions.”

Amash has been rumored as a possible primary challenger to Trump in 2020, but has kept a fairly low media profile since calling for the president’s impeachment.

He declined to tell the Advance Wednesday whether he plans to launch a White House bid, although he didn’t rule out the possibility.

“I don’t rule things out like that,”* he said.

Advance Editor Susan J. Demas contributed to this story.

This story was edited to correct a quote from Rep. Justin Amash.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/13/dona...0-primary.html

Donald Trump Jr. plans to campaign against Michigan Republican Justin Amash in 2020 primary

Donald Trump Jr. is planning to campaign against the only Republican congressman who has called for the president’s impeachment.

Donald Trump Jr. will be heading to Michigan to fight Rep. Justin Amash in a primary battle, people close to the Trump Organization executive told CNBC, speaking on the condition of anonymity. This comes after Trump’s son tweeted out a poll showing Amash losing to his only challenger so far in the race, state legislator Jim Lower, and hinting he will be heading to the Wolverine state to take on the four-term lawmaker.

“See you soon Justin... I hear Michigan is beautiful during primary season,” Trump Jr. said.
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Justin's response to Don Jr. is a quote from the Mueller report.

And some people are going to cheer if Amash goes down.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post

Meaningless Russiagate garbage.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump has raised the primary challenge idea with Vice President Mike Pence and North Carolina Rep. Mark Meadows...
    I’d imagine that neither of them would be enthusiastic about supporting a primary challenger against Amash. They will probably recommend staying out of the Primary or will slow walk any such effort.
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post

The left can't meme or troll.. that is because they don't have the proper material to meme or troll with. I think Amash has the capability of trolling well, he probably has many times in the past, just needs better material. I don't see how that is a troll at all. What was wrong with the letter?

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    And some people are going to cheer if Amash goes down.
    Who?

I think almost everybody here, if not everybody, would prefer to have him in congress over the Trump guy. Most of us were just pissed he did this because we knew it would not help his cause. Or the cause of liberty in general.

Sort of like the meme I posted above. Are you familiar with it? Nobody wanted Leroy Jenkins to fail. They were on the same team. In fact, they ended up charging in after him after they all realized what happened. But then they all got slaughtered. And it was Leroy Jenkins' fault for jumping the gun and picking the wrong fight.

Michigan state representative Jim Lower is advertising himself as a pro-Trump conservative, but he is closely tied to former Lieutenant Governor Brian Calley, who led the ‘Never Trump’ movement in Michigan with Reps. Justin Amash and Fred Upton heading into the 2016 election.

Lower even boasted that he would model himself after Justin Amash when he first won elected office, claiming that following in Amash’s lead would “give the citizens in the county some input and see each and every vote.”
    Lower claims “he grew “disenchanted” with Amash after he came out against Trump after repeatedly voting for Amash and helping with his campaigns, but the two men share a powerful close ally in former LG and state house rep. Brian Calley, who was the ringleader of the ‘Never Trump’ movement in 2016.
    With just a month before the Nov. 2016 elections, Calley was joined by U.S. Reps. Justin Amash and Fred Upton to throw Donald Trump under the bus, attempting to leverage their power to give the presidency to Hillary Clinton following the now-infamous leaked audio of Trump outside the set of Access Hollywood.

“The latest revelations about Donald Trump and his past make it impossible for me to maintain support of him… I intend to write in the name of Governor Pence and focus my time, effort and support on the state House elections,” Calley said at the time.

Despite the best efforts of Calley, Amash and Upton, Trump still won Michigan in surprising fashion by a narrow margin and became the 45th President of the United States. Although Calley led the ‘Never Trump’ movement in Michigan, that didn’t dissuade Lower from continuing his close association with the man who he considers a lifetime friend.
    Lower’s ties to the Calley family span over a decade. He was listed by the Detroit News as the campaign manager for Brian Calley during his first run for the state house back in 2006.
    He also interned in Calley’s state house office and served as Calley’s campaign manager during a state Senate run that he abandoned to become the LG hand-picked by former Governor Rick Snyder.
    Lower was recently caught in a lie by Calley’s brother, John. Lower claimed on his campaign website that he “paid for his own education and supported himself by working full-time while getting both his undergraduate and graduate degrees.”

John noted that Lower’s college was paid for in part because of his long-standing connections to the Calley family.
    “Why does Lower say he paid for his own education when it was literally my pop who paid his tuition in full??? And to then pretend like he did it on his own??” John Calley wrote in a Facebook post.
    “The more I look into this, the more it stinks,” he added.
    “John thanks for catching this. Your dad is a great guy, and I’ve always appreciated him helping me out when I really needed it my first year of college,” Lower wrote in response.
    “We’ll get it updated. I believe the team was trying to make the point that I come from a working class background. In the lead up to the announcement, it got missed,” he added.
    Lower noted the long history that he and the Calley family have shared, with their close relationship going back a great many years.
    “Brian and John were both very good friends, and Dr. Calley knew how tough things were. I have been forever grateful for that loan of $10,000 that he later converted to a gift,” Lower said in a statement.
    “I have always honored his desire for anonymity on this gift, which is why I did not mention it. Dr. Calley is one of the finest, most generous men I have ever met. He gave me the ability to get through the first year and from there, working almost full time while a student, I paid the remaining $110,000 it took to get my education,” he added.
    Dr. Doyle Calley said of the situation: “My son came to me with the concern that his friend couldn’t attend college, and I thought that it was a travesty that someone with James potential wouldn’t be able to fulfill his dreams without assistance. So I paid for his first year. And I did forgive the loan.”
    Amash and Calley have been tied to the hip as well since their days in the state house together, where the ambitious young men rose as young stars in the Michigan Republican Party.
    They have since held multiple events together with Amash going out of his way to promote Calley’s political star at every opportunity.

In addition, the recent poll showing Lower with a 16-point lead over Amash was commissioned by Practical Political Consulting, a firm run by former Ingham County Commissioner Mark Grebner. Grebner is a lifetime liberal activist and political strategist who has written for MichiganLiberal.com, a site modeled after the progressive blog Daily Kos.
    Amash’s grassroots competitor, veterans’ rights activist Tom Norton, was not included in the poll. He believes that Lower’s connections should disqualify him from being Amash’s replacement.
    “After seeing the evidence of Lower’s political career being so attached and bought and paid for by the Never Trumper movement as well as moving into the district, it is clear that he was placed and used by the swamp to divide Trump supporters against Amash,” Norton said, referencing the fact that Lower moved into the 3rd Congressional district shortly before announcing his run.
    With President Trump considering an endorsement of a primary challenger to Amash in Michigan’s 3rd Congressional District, Lower’s deep connections to the ‘Never Trump’ movement in the state may ultimately prevent him from receiving that crucial support.

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/amash-...ise-questions/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL

Michigan state representative Jim Lower is advertising himself as a pro-Trump conservative, but he is closely tied to former Lieutenant Governor Brian Calley, who led the ‘Never Trump’ movement in Michigan with Reps. Justin Amash and Fred Upton heading into the 2016 election.

Lower even boasted that he would model himself after Justin Amash when he first won elected office, claiming that following in Amash’s lead would “give the citizens in the county some input and see each and every vote.”
    Lower claims “he grew “disenchanted” with Amash after he came out against Trump after repeatedly voting for Amash and helping with his campaigns, but the two men share a powerful close ally in former LG and state house rep. Brian Calley, who was the ringleader of the ‘Never Trump’ movement in 2016.
    With just a month before the Nov. 2016 elections, Calley was joined by U.S. Reps. Justin Amash and Fred Upton to throw Donald Trump under the bus, attempting to leverage their power to give the presidency to Hillary Clinton following the now-infamous leaked audio of Trump outside the set of Access Hollywood.

“The latest revelations about Donald Trump and his past make it impossible for me to maintain support of him… I intend to write in the name of Governor Pence and focus my time, effort and support on the state House elections,” Calley said at the time.

Despite the best efforts of Calley, Amash and Upton, Trump still won Michigan in surprising fashion by a narrow margin and became the 45th President of the United States. Although Calley led the ‘Never Trump’ movement in Michigan, that didn’t dissuade Lower from continuing his close association with the man who he considers a lifetime friend.
    Lower’s ties to the Calley family span over a decade. He was listed by the Detroit News as the campaign manager for Brian Calley during his first run for the state house back in 2006.
    He also interned in Calley’s state house office and served as Calley’s campaign manager during a state Senate run that he abandoned to become the LG hand-picked by former Governor Rick Snyder.
    Lower was recently caught in a lie by Calley’s brother, John. Lower claimed on his campaign website that he “paid for his own education and supported himself by working full-time while getting both his undergraduate and graduate degrees.”

John noted that Lower’s college was paid for in part because of his long-standing connections to the Calley family.
    “Why does Lower say he paid for his own education when it was literally my pop who paid his tuition in full??? And to then pretend like he did it on his own??” John Calley wrote in a Facebook post.
    “The more I look into this, the more it stinks,” he added.
    “John thanks for catching this. Your dad is a great guy, and I’ve always appreciated him helping me out when I really needed it my first year of college,” Lower wrote in response.
    “We’ll get it updated. I believe the team was trying to make the point that I come from a working class background. In the lead up to the announcement, it got missed,” he added.
    Lower noted the long history that he and the Calley family have shared, with their close relationship going back a great many years.
    “Brian and John were both very good friends, and Dr. Calley knew how tough things were. I have been forever grateful for that loan of $10,000 that he later converted to a gift,” Lower said in a statement.
    “I have always honored his desire for anonymity on this gift, which is why I did not mention it. Dr. Calley is one of the finest, most generous men I have ever met. He gave me the ability to get through the first year and from there, working almost full time while a student, I paid the remaining $110,000 it took to get my education,” he added.
    Dr. Doyle Calley said of the situation: “My son came to me with the concern that his friend couldn’t attend college, and I thought that it was a travesty that someone with James potential wouldn’t be able to fulfill his dreams without assistance. So I paid for his first year. And I did forgive the loan.”
    Amash and Calley have been tied to the hip as well since their days in the state house together, where the ambitious young men rose as young stars in the Michigan Republican Party.
    They have since held multiple events together with Amash going out of his way to promote Calley’s political star at every opportunity.

In addition, the recent poll showing Lower with a 16-point lead over Amash was commissioned by Practical Political Consulting, a firm run by former Ingham County Commissioner Mark Grebner. Grebner is a lifetime liberal activist and political strategist who has written for MichiganLiberal.com, a site modeled after the progressive blog Daily Kos.
    Amash’s grassroots competitor, veterans’ rights activist Tom Norton, was not included in the poll. He believes that Lower’s connections should disqualify him from being Amash’s replacement.
    “After seeing the evidence of Lower’s political career being so attached and bought and paid for by the Never Trumper movement as well as moving into the district, it is clear that he was placed and used by the swamp to divide Trump supporters against Amash,” Norton said, referencing the fact that Lower moved into the 3rd Congressional district shortly before announcing his run.
    With President Trump considering an endorsement of a primary challenger to Amash in Michigan’s 3rd Congressional District, Lower’s deep connections to the ‘Never Trump’ movement in the state may ultimately prevent him from receiving that crucial support.

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/amash-...ise-questions/
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.