Thread: New York state lawmakers introduce bill to decriminalize sex work

New York state lawmakers introduce bill to decriminalize sex work

A group of Democratic lawmakers in New York state introduced a bill Monday that seeks to decriminalize sex work and make it legal to engage in the consensual sale of sex.

The bill, which follows similar legislative efforts in other states, including Massachusetts and Maine, would go further by vacating prior convictions of people engaged in activity that would no longer be considered criminal. Supporters stressed that the legislation would not alter current laws on sex trafficking or the exploitation of minors.

At a news conference in New York, legislators and advocates with Decrim NY, the coalition pushing for the bill, said that legal attempts to crack down on sex work have historically failed and that an overburdened criminal justice system shouldn't be used to prosecute consenting adults.

In addition, advocates noted that current state laws disproportionately affect women of color and members of the trans community who are the most vulnerable and susceptible to violence and are regularly targeted by law enforcement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-work-n1015891
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    said that legal attempts to crack down on sex work have historically failed and that an overburdened criminal justice system shouldn't be used to prosecute consenting adults.
    It took how many thousands of years? And, you mean adults will now be allowed to consent?

I'm all for it! But wait, how much in tax/revenue do they expect to take?

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    But wait, how much in tax/revenue do they expect to take?
    Good question. And along with that, what kinds of surveillance will they need to use in order to make sure that nobody out there is exchanging sex for money without paying taxes on it?

And without hiring another soul, or jobs stolen by "immigrants", unemployment figures will drop like you wouldn't believe!

Hmmm I'm wondering, on second thought, if we should just keep it underground. The idea of Funding the Fed (fed income tax) kind of irritates me.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Good question. And along with that, what kinds of surveillance will they need to use in order to make sure that nobody out there is exchanging sex for money without paying taxes on it?
    Another great question

Ok, I have thought about this.

Activist Action Alert:

How do we move forward with the "consenting adult" part while preventing the rest of it in order to keep it underground?

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    It took how many thousands of years? And, you mean adults will now be allowed to consent?

I'm all for it! But wait, how much in tax/revenue do they expect to take?
    They will certainly want their cut, probably less than a pimp though.

But for similar personal services like massage, they do aggressively pursue independent contractors who don’t pay taxes. Years ago I knew a couple of guys who did massage at spas (one was studying to be a chiropractor), and one guy got caught doing work on the side, because he took a check. IRS then takes that hourly rate, assumes he worked an entire year under the table at that rate, and sends a bill for an annual income based upon one massage.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    That's no different than the current situation which is legal of women selling nude pictures of themselves on Snapchat and not reporting the income. Or people walking around neighborhoods with lawnmowers and cutting grass without reporting the income. Or people selling crap at flea markets or garage sales without reporting the income. And don't worry. The IRS won't need a surveillance system to track the money hookers will get. They can count on angry MGTOWs (men go their own way) to do the reporting.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.