Thread: Transgender targets Masterpiece Cakeshop owner Jack Phillips with ANOTHER lawsuit

Transgender targets Masterpiece Cakeshop owner Jack Phillips with ANOTHER lawsuit

Masterpiece Cakeshop owner Jack Phillips is being sued yet again.

Attorneys for Autumn Scardina, a transgender woman, filed a lawsuit in state court last Wednesday alleging Phillips discriminated against their client and engaged in deceptive and unfair trade practices.

The lawyers — Paula Greisen and John McHugh — claim that "Masterpiece Cakeshop, at the direction of Phillips, refused to sell a birthday cake to Ms. Scardina because of her status as a transgender woman."
    They further allege Phillips engaged in illegal trade practices because his shop "widely publicized that they would sell baked goods, including birthday cakes, to the public, including the LGBT community," but allegedly refused to provide Scardina with a cake only after learning that she is transgender.

Scardina is the same person who has filed previous discrimination complaints against Phillips. In fact, the state dropped one complaint in March in which Phillips refused to bake a cake celebrating Scardina's gender transition. In exchange, Phillips also dropped a religious discrimination complaint against the state.

The cake in question now is a pink cake with blue frosting, a design Scardina told the cakeshop "had personal significance for her because it reflects her status as a transgender female."
    Still, Scardina's motive is clear: She is removing the Civil Rights Commission from the equation in order to force the judicial system to determine whether Phillips violated Colorado law.
    "By filing separately, we are taking the state out of the equation," Greisen told Colorado Public Radio. "I fully believe we will win in the state courts ... and I don't believe there is any First Amendment or religious implications that would allow them to discriminate."
    "We simply want the law to be enforced," Greisen claimed. "Because if not, you allow a business to send a message: go ahead, refuse service to these people, it's OK, when the citizens of Colorado have said it's not."
    Phillips believes Scardina has long targeted his shop with requests she knows violate his religious beliefs in order to harass him. She even once requested a cake to celebrate Satan that featured "a large figure of Satan, licking a 9" black Dildo."

Jim Campbell, senior counsel at Alliance Defending Freedom, the nonprofit Christian legal group that represents Phillips, called Scardina's latest actions "yet another desperate attempt to harass" Phillips.
    "A new lawsuit has been filed against Masterpiece Cakeshop that appears to largely rehash old claims. The State of Colorado abandoned similar ones just a few months ago. So this latest attack by Autumn Scardina looks like yet another desperate attempt to harass cake artist Jack Phillips. And it stumbles over the one detail that matters most: Jack serves everyone; he just cannot express all messages through his custom cakes," he said.
    Scardina is requesting a jury trial.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/master...nation-lawsuit
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You know why don't these lgbt types of people move into their LGBT communities with their own Cakeshops etc?
    Is that a bit hard to do?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    You know why don't these lgbt types of people move into their LGBT communities with their own Cakeshops etc?
    Because it isn't about getting a cake at all. It is about forcing their perversions onto people they don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Because it isn't about getting a cake at all. It is about forcing their perversions onto people they don't like.
    That was always the goal and it always will be unless they are driven back into the closet culturally.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Or to destroy anyone who doesn’t agree with them.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

When facebook, twitter, and youtube no longer censor the news and speech I want to hear I will stand for your right to go to a particular baker and force them to make you a cake.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    For Variety Reasons. They get tired of Fruit Cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    For Variety Reasons. They get tired of Fruit Cakes.

And fudge.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Exactly. If I were the baker, I would tell him I would bake the cake for 5 million dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

They won't stop until all cakeshops bow down to the LBGT communities will.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

It's interesting how they just go after Christians. They aren't harrassing Muslim bakers, which would tell them no too.

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/hi...muslim-bakery/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Exactly. If I were the baker, I would tell him I would bake the cake for 5 million dollars.
    we call that a " no quote" its an industry term...
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    It's interesting how they just go after Christians. They aren't harrassing Muslim bakers, which would tell them no too.
    Silly girl!

Christians aren't a protected class and white Christian family men are the sworn enemy...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Silly girl!

Christians aren't a protected class and white Christian family men are the sworn enemy...
    Oh I know, just bringing out the point that some people just don't get. I know you get it.

Matthew 10:22
    “And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.”
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Or to destroy anyone who doesn’t agree with them.
    https://twitter.com/infolibnews/stat...55733006520322

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

MAGA tranny Info Wars trotskite cake fans. Bake ze cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    MAGA tranny Info Wars trotskite cake fans. Bake ze cake.

Spoiled brat, self loathing, pieces of $#@!, white kids.

The very worst in this whole calamity.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quick question. Please don't cheat. Can you pick which one is transgender?

Here's the reason I asked. I looked up this Autumn Scardina woman and...she's pretty passable to me on first glance. Which begs the question, did she go into the cake shop and ask for a pink cake, or did she go into a cake shop and say "I'm a trangender woman and I demand that you bake me a pink cake?" Because...if the goal is to be seen as a woman...and if you have to have the government make other people see you as a woman...then haven't you failed?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Here's the reason I asked. I looked up this Autumn Scardina woman and...she's pretty passable to me on first glance. Which begs the question, did she go into the cake shop and ask for a pink cake, or did she go into a cake shop and say "I'm a trangender woman and I demand that you bake me a pink cake?" Because...if the goal is to be seen as a woman...and if you have to have the government make other people see you as a woman...then haven't you failed?
    The cake in question now is a pink cake with blue frosting, a design Scardina told the cakeshop "had personal significance for her because it reflects her status as a transgender female."

Still, Scardina's motive is clear: She is removing the Civil Rights Commission from the equation in order to force the judicial system to determine whether Phillips violated Colorado law.
    No, he made it very clear that this was politically and legally motivated.

You will bake my $#@!ing cake, bigot.

Colorado baker fighting ruling over gender transition cake
    https://apnews.com/article/religion-...26398f0e40b761
    [archive link: https://archive.ph/VSgCq]
    Colleen Slevin (06 October 2022)

DENVER (AP) — The Colorado baker who won a partial Supreme Court victory after refusing on religious grounds to make a gay couple’s wedding cake a decade ago is challenging a separate ruling he violated the state’s anti-discrimination law by refusing to make a cake celebrating a gender transition.

A lawyer for Jack Phillips on Wednesday urged Colorado’s appeals court — largely on procedural grounds — to overturn last year’s ruling in a lawsuit brought by a transgender woman.

The woman, Autumn Scardina, called Phillips’ suburban Denver cake shop in 2017 requesting a birthday cake that had blue frosting on the outside and was pink inside to celebrate her gender transition. At trial last year, Phillips, a Christian, testified he did not think someone could change genders and he would not celebrate “somebody who thinks that they can.”

Jake Warner, an attorney representing Phillips from the conservative Christian legal advocacy group Alliance Defending Freedom, said the ruling was wrong. He said requiring Phillips to create a cake with a message contrary to his religious beliefs amounts to forcing him to say something he does not believe, violating his right to free speech.

Judge Timothy Schutz noted Phillips’ wife initially told Scardina the bakery could make the cake before Scardina volunteered that the design was meant to celebrate her gender transition.

One of Scardina’s lawyers, John McHugh, said Scardina did not ask the shop to endorse her idea, just sell her a cake that they would sell anyone else. He said whether or not Phillips sells a cake to someone cannot depend on what the client tells him when he is making the cake.

Both Scardina and Phillips spoke outside the court of larger issues involved. Scardina said the case was about the “dignity of LGBTQ Americans and Coloradans and the rule of law.” Phillips said he was fighting for the rights of all Americans to live according to their consciences “without fear of punishment” by government.

In 2018, the Supreme Court ruled that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission had acted with anti-religious bias in enforcing the anti-discrimination law against Phillips after he refused to bake a cake celebrating the wedding of Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins in 2012. The justices called the commission unfairly dismissive of Phillips’ religious beliefs.

The high court did not rule then on the larger issue of whether a business can invoke religious objections to refuse service to LGBTQ people. But it will get another chance when it hears a different case in coming months challenging Colorado’s anti-discrimination law.

The case involves Denver-area designer Lorie Smith, who wants to offer wedding website services but says her Christian beliefs would lead her to decline any request from a same-sex couple to design a wedding website. She also wants to post a statement on her website about her beliefs but says Colorado’s law violates her free speech and religious rights.

In agreeing to take the case, the Supreme Court said it would only examine the free speech issue.

Smith is also defended by Alliance Defending Freedom. Phillips’ lawyers unsuccessfully asked Colorado’s appeals court to delay hearing arguments in his challenge until after the Supreme Court rules in Smith’s case.

Scardina, an attorney, attempted to order her cake on the same day in 2017 that the Supreme Court announced it would hear Phillips’ appeal in the wedding cake case. Scardina testified she wanted to “challenge the veracity” of Phillips statements that he would serve LGBT customers.

Before filing suit, Scardina first filed a complaint against Phillips with the state and the civil rights commission, which found probable cause that Phillips had discriminated against her. Phillips then filed a federal lawsuit against Colorado, accusing it of a “crusade to crush” him by pursuing the complaint.

In March 2019, lawyers for the state and Phillips agreed to drop both cases under a settlement Scardina was not involved in. Warner told the appeals court panel that Scardina was required to appeal to the state appeals court first before filing a lawsuit and — since she did not — the ruling against Phillips should be thrown out because the state court judge who heard the lawsuit did not have jurisdiction.

McHugh argued the settlement did not reach a conclusion on Scardina’s discrimination claim so there was nothing to stop her from filing a lawsuit against Phillips to pursue it.

After trial of the lawsuit last year, Denver District Judge A. Bruce Jones rejected Phillips’ argument that making the cake would constitute compelled speech, saying it was simply a product sold by a business that couldn’t be withheld from people who have traditionally been treated unfairly and are protected by the state’s anti-discrimination law. He said Phillips’ decision not to provide the requested cake was “inextricably intertwined” with his refusal to recognize Scardina as a woman.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·