Thread: North Korean Leader's Assassinated Half-Brother Was A CIA Informant: WSJ

North Korean Leader's Assassinated Half-Brother Was A CIA Informant: WSJ

The half brother of North Korea's Kim Jong Un - who was assassinated in Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Malaysia in February 2017, when two women smeared his face with the nerve agent VX - was an informant for the Central Intelligence Agency and met with agency operatives on several occasions, Wall Street Journal reports, citing a person who knew about the matter.

Kim Jong Nam was once considered to be the heir to late North Korean leader Kim Jong Il but he fell out of favor with his father in 2001 after he was caught trying to enter Japan on a false passport, and was arrested at Tokyo airport, apparently en route to Disneyland. Kim Jong Nam had been critical of Kim Jong Un, reportedly saying in 2012 that he “won’t last long” because of his youth and inexperience. The two brothers have different mothers, Bloomberg reports.

While details of Kim’s relationship with the CIA are not clear, several former U.S. officials told WSJ that he had no known power base in Pyongyang and would unlikely be able to give details of North Korea’s inner workings. The same unnamed U.S. officials also told the Journal that Kim was also in contact with security services of China.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-informant-wsj
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No mention at cnn.com, I wonder why..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Trump: I won't be using him to spy on Korea (kinda hard since he is dead).

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/11/polit...ton/index.html

Trump would not confirm reports that Kim Jong Un's half brother was a CIA asset Tuesday but said he would tell Kim that "would not happen under my auspice."
    "I saw the information about the CIA with respect to his brother or half brother and I would tell him that would not happen under my auspice, that's for sure. I wouldn't let that happen under my auspices," he said when asked about details published by the Wall Street Journal.
    He did get another love letter from Kim.

Without going into specifics on the contents on the letter he had gotten from Kim, Trump said receiving it solidified the fact he has a good relationship with the North Korean leader, a claim he has repeatedly made over the past year.

"I just received a beautiful letter from Kim Jong Un ... I appreciated the letter," the President said.

When asked whether there would be a third summit with Kim, Trump said he hoped so but did not want to
    Trump says Kim has 'kept his word' hours after Bolton said he hasn't

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has "kept his word" when it comes to nuclear and missile testing, contradicting his own national security adviser, John Bolton, who just hours earlier had accused Pyongyang of failing to follow through on its commitments.

Speaking to reporters on the South Lawn of the White House, Trump said he had received a warm letter from Kim before again downplaying North Korea's latest test of a short-range ballistic missile -- a move Bolton and acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan have said violated UN resolutions.

"He kept his word. There's no nuclear testing. There's no large, there's no long-range missiles going up. The only things he's set up were very short term, short range. That was just a test of short range. It's a whole different deal, but he's kept his word to me. That's very important," the President said.

Earlier Tuesday, Bolton had told the Wall Street Journal at a speaking event in Washington that North Korea is not complying with the terms agreed upon during Trump's first summit with Kim, in Singapore last year.

"What they've said was that they're not going to test ballistic missiles, intercontinental range ballistic missiles, or have nuclear tests. That's continued. They're doing a lot of other things that still indicate that they have not made a strategic decision to give up the pursuit of deliverable weapons, which is why we continue the maximum pressure campaign," Bolton said.

In May, Bolton said that "there is no doubt" the tests violated the UN resolutions, something Shanahan has also said publicly.

But that conclusion is at odds with Trump's own assertions.

"My people think it could have been a violation," Trump said in May. "I view it differently."

The President added that he thinks Kim could be a man "who wants to get attention," but said there are no nuclear tests or long-range missiles being fired, something he again pointed out Tuesday.

Trump claims remains 'keep coming back'

Trump also claimed Tuesday that the remains of US soldiers in North Korea "keep coming back," despite the US Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency telling CNN in May that the effort was suspended due to a lack of communication from North Korean officials following the second summit between the two leaders, in Hanoi, Vietnam, earlier this year.

"We have a very good relationship together," Trump said of Kim. "Now I can confirm it because of the letter I got yesterday, and I think something will happen that's going to be very positive. But in the meantime, we have our hostages back, the remains keep coming back, we have a relationship."

The return of American remains was part of the US-North Korea agreement reached during Kim and Trump's Singapore summit.

Following the summit, North Korea handed over 55 cases of presumed remains of US service members killed during the 1950-53 Korean War.

"DPRK officials have not communicated with DPAA since the Hanoi summit," Chuck Prichard, a spokesman for the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency, said in May.

"As a result, our efforts to communicate with the Korean People's Army regarding the possible resumption of joint recovery operations for 2019 has been suspended," he added.
    More at link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKCN1TB2OZ

North Korea urges U.S. to change 'hostile policy' on eve of summit anniversary

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korean state media called on the United States on Tuesday to “withdraw its hostile policy” towards Pyongyang or agreements made at a landmark summit in Singapore a year ago might become “a blank sheet of paper”.

The statement on state news agency KCNA, echoing a similar warning last week, reflected the stalemate since a second summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi in February collapsed.

The Hanoi summit broke down over U.S. demands for North Korea’s denuclearization and North Korean demands for sanctions relief.

The arrogant and unilateral U.S. policy will never work on the DPRK, which values sovereignty,” KCNA said. North Korea’s official name is the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).

The report said a four-point joint statement signed by Trump and Kim on June 12 last year pledging to work towards a new relationship “is in danger of being a blank sheet of paper because the U.S. is turning a blind eye to its implementation”.

“ ... now is the time for the U.S. to withdraw its hostile policy concerning the DPRK,” it said.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Monday he believed talks between North and South Korea and between the North and the United States would resume soon.

He said during a state visit to Finland that talks were underway about a third summit between North Korea and the United States, “so I don’t think it’s a situation that needs a third country’s arrangement”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.