Thread: One dead in helicopter crash on NYC skyscraper

One dead in helicopter crash on NYC skyscraper

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48585041

The pilot of a helicopter died after it crash landed on top of a skyscraper in Manhattan, fire officials say.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the 54-storey office building close to Times Square shook from the impact.

Governor Cuomo said the crash sparked a rooftop fire, which was brought under control. Some were evacuated from the tower, but none were hurt.

He said New Yorkers have "a level of PTSD from 9/11" when they hear news of an aircraft crash in Manhattan.

The pilot has been named by local media as Tim McCormack.

He was the only person aboard the Agusta A109E helicopter, said the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

Wreckage of the helicopter crash in a rooftop photo taken by the city fire department

The incident happened at around 14:00 (18:00GMT) on a rainy and foggy Monday on Seventh Avenue.

Governor Cuomo said preliminary reports indicate there was no indication of foul play.

He told reporters at the scene: "There was a helicopter that made a forced landing, emergency landing, or landed on the roof of the building for one reason or another.

"There was a fire that happened when the helicopter hit the roof. People that were in the building said that they felt the building shake."

He added: "If you're a New Yorker, you have a level of PTSD, right, from 9/11. And I remember that morning all too well.

"So as soon as you hear an aircraft hit a building, I think my mind goes where every New Yorker's mind goes."

Speaking at the White House on Monday, US President Donald Trump said the crash was "a big tragedy" and "a very sad event".

No debris was visible on the pavement or road below the scene of the AXA Equitable building, which is about 750ft (229m) high.

Michaela Dudley, of Hoboken, New Jersey, was working in the building that the helicopter crashed into. and described feeling "a small tremor".

"I started hearing the blare of sirens and knew something bad had happened," the 30-year-old lawyer said.

"There was a flood of sirens outside and an announcement for us to leave the building. I grabbed my backpack and cell phone.

"The stairwell was packed with people trying to get out and so it was a really slow process. We didn't know what was happening so people were getting a bit panicky."

According to Mayor Bill de Blasio, there is no helicopter landing pad on the roof of the tower at 787 Seventh Avenue.

New York Commissioner James O'Neill told a news conference the helicopter was engaged in "executive travel" at the time of the crash.

The city's top police officer added that the aircraft had taken off from a helipad on 34th Street and may have been heading to its home airport in Linden, New Jersey.

Mr O'Neill said its reason for flying in such poor weather will be "part of the investigation".

More at link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...510917781.html

Uber Announces New Helicopter Service to and From JFK -- $200+ Per Person

Uber will offer on-demand helicopter rides between Lower Manhattan and JFK starting July 9th -- and each ride will cost at least $200 per passenger.

The service, Uber Copter, will operate during the day on weekdays and is booked through the app but only open to top members of the company’s loyalty program, Uber said. The ride will take eight minutes, which is substantially shorter than the hour (or more) it takes by train or car.

Uper Copter will act as a pilot program for Uber’s air-based division, Uber Elevate.

“Uber Copter offers the first real demonstration of the Elevate experience,” said head of Uber Elevate, Eric Allison, in a statement. “We’ve built Uber Copter to provide us with insight and real-world experience as we continue to lay the foundation for Uber Air.”

UberCopter rides will be operated by HeliFlite, a Newark-based helicopter charter company. The helicopters will take off and land at heliports near the Staten Island Ferry in Manhattan and by Terminal 8 at JFK.

The service is only available only to users who are Platinum and Diamond members of the company’s loyalty program Uber Rewards.
    They are discussing the possibility of helicopter flights in other cities in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.