Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills compared to baby boomers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1560101642765.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	6485
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The Skrælings never had anything like it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1560089616071.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	6486
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with all of the people coming over the border willing to do these jobs for less money and the economy being in a recession with a bunch of Gen X people on unemployment when some millenials were joining the work force.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Well, their dads had 18-20 years to teach them...why didn't they? That kind of thing used to be handed down through the generations, yo.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... don't try to pin this on the boomers, they were perfect and did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... don't try to pin this on the boomers, they were perfect and did nothing wrong.
    O kurwa. Sorry, Boomers. I bow to your majesty. *bows*
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I dont buy it... Millennials are always going to youtube to learn how to do something. Play guitar, weld, replace an alternator, upgrade RAM in a computer...

If you ask me, its the "I'm getting too old for that" baby boomers who will just pay someone else to do something. "These computer cars, I dont get them" -while many of the millennials are tuning their scoobies to put out 1000 hp.

I dont buy into this generational bashing. Its another divisive, collectivist tactic to divide us into special classes.

BTW - I'm not a boomer or a millennial, and I'm not a member of the "Grayest Generation" either. This is just my perspective.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Am reading classic liberty texts on this rainy weekend. From Chapter 1 of the Economic Way of Thinking by Paul Heyne.

"In modern industrial societies, people's economizing actions occur in the context of extreme specialization. Specialization, or what Adam Smith called the division of labor, is a necessary condition for the increases in production that have so expanded "the wealth of nations" in recent centuries."

Chapter 6 Efficiency, Exchange, and Comparative Advantage is also relevant. Basically he explains that because you (or a nation) theoretically can do something doesn't mean they should. Even if you (or a nation) are more efficient than someone you pay doesn't mean you shouldn't pay them if it takes away from doing what you are truly good at. I suspect there is a strong correlation between people who dwell on manufacturing vs services and want tariffs and those who think doing tasks around the house is some essential skill everyone should learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Am reading classic liberty texts on this rainy weekend. From Chapter 1 of the Economic Way of Thinking by Paul Heyne.
    Funny......

I'm rereading the Foxfire books..

“I am convinced that we as adults must constantly cling to, affirm, and celebrate with our children those things we love, sunsets, laughter, the taste of a good meal, the warmth of a hickory fire shared by real friends, the joy of discovery and accomplishment, the constant surprises of life. ”
    ― Eliot Wigginton
    Consider the value of just one person passing down their knowledge and experiences to future generations. I have a neighbor named Mary. Her family has owned and lived off the land for generations here in our small farming community. When we decided to join the homestead family, we purchased in a simple, quiet farming town. I found out quickly that our property joined hers and I am deeply grateful it did! I ran into Mary walking one day not long after we moved in and our friendship began with her story. This was five years ago. I cannot tell you the wealth of homesteading, gardening, and animal care instruction I have learned from this woman telling me the tales of her own life learnings.
    [snip]

This is why I am strongly compelled to write about the great Foxfire series of books I have been reading and re-reading over the past few years. When I began this series, I was totally engrossed in the many different tales as well as the fascinating truths about life that were jumping off the page at me. I would laugh at all the old folklore and fables told from people who really believed them. The book was a recital of experiences from those who loved, and lived off, the land, depending upon their little piece of earth for their very existence. And then I felt a sense of sorrow. Why? Because sometimes I don’t see the valuable exchange of information between generations like is seen in this incredible work. I personally struggled for a while, trying to wed the beauty of real life being told to how my own family gains important knowledge today. To me, Foxfire was screaming that everyone’s story needs to be told. I struggled from the lost art of conversation today. Finally, I was able to conclude that this does go on today but in a totally different form. Today, we hear people’s stories more through reading—a good book, a good website, blogging, and tweeting all help us to find each other’s life experiences and learn from them. And obviously, even the stories from the Foxfire series will be known today from reading them.

https://www.homestead.org/homesteadi...e-book-review/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Funny......

That's a great series. Read it when I was in my teens. I need to dig them out from my parents closet. If the grid ever went down there is a wealth of knowledge to be had there. Besides the fact that it is just good reading.

Today I put a new wheel on a used wheel barrow I bought yesterday and sent one of my Sons over to one of the Grand daughters to put up a new door .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    That's a great series. Read it when I was in my teens. I need to dig them out from my parents closet. If the grid ever went down there is a wealth of knowledge to be had there. Besides the fact that it is just good reading.
    The 'specialized' crowd would be well advised to seek knowledge instead of affirmation but what do I know........

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    I dont buy it... Millennials are always going to youtube to learn how to do something. Play guitar, weld, replace an alternator, upgrade RAM in a computer...

If you ask me, its the "I'm getting too old for that" baby boomers who will just pay someone else to do something. "These computer cars, I dont get them" -while many of the millennials are tuning their scoobies to put out 1000 hp.

I dont buy into this generational bashing. Its another divisive, collectivist tactic to divide us into special classes.

BTW - I'm not a boomer or a millennial, and I'm not a member of the "Grayest Generation" either. This is just my perspective.
    Agree- seems like every generation bashes the upcoming one because they don't do things exactly the same. I remember my grandparents talking about how swing dance was "evil" when they were growing up & now there are groups who teach kids swing dance to protect them from the "evil" music of today.

LOL- some things never change.
    Last edited by Ender; 06-16-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    There is no spoon.

Funny......

I bought the entire series for Mrs. AF as a gift a few years ago...cost a pretty penny.

I don't think she's read one chapter...
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Agree- seems like every generation bashes the upcoming one because they don't do things exactly the same. I remember my grandparents talking about how swing dance was "evil" when they were growing up & now there are groups who teach kids swing dance to protect them from the "evil" music of today.

LOL- somethings never change.
    Sure...this is always in play.

But many things are NOT better today...just being able to walk down the street in any mid sized town and not be under total surveillance is a way in which things were better.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

But many things are NOT better today...just being able to walk down the street in any mid sized town and not be under total surveillance is a way in which things were better.
    Oh, I totally agree with you.

Just remarking on how every generation seems to get upset because the rising generation ain't just like they were.
    There is no spoon.

Oh, I totally agree with you.

Just remarking on how every generation seems to get upset because the rising generation ain't just like they were.
    Social decay is a real thing, though. It's been written about and analyzed quite a bit. The final word probably has yet to be written, but it is a real thing that's been documented.

That means that, though every generation might think the subsequent generation is corrupt and lost, some of them are likely right.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    Social decay is a real thing, though. It's been written about and analyzed quite a bit. The final word probably has yet to be written, but it is a real thing that's been documented.

That means that, though every generation might think the subsequent generation is corrupt and lost, some of them are likely right.
    The current state of society is proof enough of that.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL- some things never change.
    Nothing to do with 'evil'.......Everything to do with knowledge and ability..

Learning how to reach level XYZ in the latest video game isn't really a useful skill and men and women alike must have skills, the more the merrier...

Nothing to do with 'evil'.......Everything to do with knowledge and ability..

Learning how to reach level XYZ in the latest video game isn't really a useful skill and men and women alike must have skills, the more the merrier...
    Unless you're Ender & save the universe with your computer skills.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Not to put words in your mouth, but perhaps what you are seeing is less of a generational issue, and more of a government issue. Government, we know, will utilize/exploit every resource at its disposal, and so mass surveillance can be explained as a natural progression of government.

I will share this observation, regarding the original topic... I still work on all of my vehicles - I have been working on my/my friends cars since the late 80's. Around 2005 or so, I noticed that I was the only non-ethnic (& potentially non-economic) minority at the autoparts counter. Everyone around me has been spanish speaking... This may indicate to me that common society has become subject to the "service economy" - this is a trend towards communism, where every member has a specialized skill, and relying up on everyone else to accomplish anything that goes beyond that special skill. We see this in parenting too - pretty much whenever someone cites reasons with "experts say". One need only do their single skill/job, and everything else (including parenting) is for the "experts".

So this is it - welcome to the smurfs. Where each and every contributor to society has their own specialized skill. Again, nothing to do with generational contributions, but a natural progression of government, towards communism. It should be no surprise either.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

America is in decay certainly .
    Do something Danke

Not to put words in your mouth, but perhaps what you are seeing is less of a generational issue, and more of a government issue. Government, we know, will utilize/exploit every resource at its disposal, and so mass surveillance can be explained as a natural progression of government.

I will share this observation, regarding the original topic... I still work on all of my vehicles - I have been working on my/my friends cars since the late 80's. Around 2005 or so, I noticed that I was the only non-ethnic (& potentially non-economic) minority at the autoparts counter. Everyone around me has been spanish speaking... This may indicate to me that common society has become subject to the "service economy" - this is a trend towards communism, where every member has a specialized skill, and relying up on everyone else to accomplish anything that goes beyond that special skill. We see this in parenting too - pretty much whenever someone cites reasons with "experts say". One need only do their single skill/job, and everything else (including parenting) is for the "experts".

So this is it - welcome to the smurfs. Where each and every contributor to society has their own specialized skill. Again, nothing to do with generational contributions, but a natural progression of government, towards communism. It should be no surprise either.
    Yep- and this is exactly why public schools were organized & enforced.

Everyone must become a compliant factory worker to serve the Borg.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    RPF is about the only thing I do socially online. Took me three hours to figure out how to get a URL for picture of the house
    Summer project.....almost done. Gonna do some landscaping and get some porch furniture.

"It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Summer project.....almost done. Gonna do some landscaping and get some porch furniture.

That is a fine looking house.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    That is a fine looking house.
    Thank you, sir.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Very very nice.

Well done.

Hell's Bell's, that nice, oh furry one. Spend another 3 hrs. trying to figure out how to get us inside pics.

My project for today:

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Cannot blame the youngster for the way they were raised. To assign blame you need to look to the ancestors.

RPF is about the only thing I do socially online. Took me three hours to figure out how to get a URL for picture of the house
    Nice.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast