Thread: Poll: Potential Amash bid could hurt Biden in Michigan

Poll: Potential Amash bid could hurt Biden in Michigan

The poll conducted last week of 600 likely Michigan voters and released to The Detroit News and WDIV-TV pitted Amash, a libertarian Republican who endorses impeaching Trump, in a hypothetical three-way White House race against Trump and Democrat Joe Biden.

The survey found that Amash would draw nearly 10 percent of the vote in Michigan if he ran as a third-party Libertarian, while Biden received 45 percent and Trump 39 percent. Six percent were undecided.

"This is, frankly, a somewhat startling finding. I think conventional wisdom would say he would hurt President Trump by taking away Republican votes," said Richard Czuba, who conducted the poll for the Lansing-based Glengariff Group.

"He will not take away Republican votes from Trump. What he will do is give independent voters who don’t want to support President Trump an outlet to not vote for the Democrat. And if you look at who or what would be moving toward Amash, it is particularly independent men."
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2019/06/05/amash-presidential-bid-hurts-biden-michigan/1331256001/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's not going to run--at least not in 2020. The only thing I've heard him actually say is that he hasn't ruled it out among other things. The "buzz" about him running is all media driven. But the poll helps demonstrate his strength with independents, which is why he will easily win a primary and re-election in MI-3.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    He's not going to run--at least not in 2020. The only thing I've heard him actually say is that he hasn't ruled it out among other things. The "buzz" about him running is all media driven. But the poll helps demonstrate his strength with independents, which is why he will easily win a primary and re-election in MI-3.
    I'm not sure about the primary. Die hard Republican's only vote in those. Look what happened to Mark Sanford in SC-1. He was successfully primaried by a Trumpette who went on to lose the general election to a Democrat for the first time in 40 years.