Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AF do something!

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A professional surfer in Florida was injured Saturday when a shark bit his elbow, leaving him bloody and with deep tooth marks.
    According to WJXT, surfer Frank O'Rourke was surfing at Jacksonville Beach around 3:30 p.m. when the shark latched onto his arm, knocking him off his board.
    O'Rourke's friend, RJ Berger, saw the whole thing happen.
    "He was right there behind the wave and boom, that's when he got hit," Berger said.
    Berger said O'Rourke was treated by a lifeguard but did not go to a hospital, even though Berger said he thinks his friend could have used a stitch or two.
    "He immediately went to the bar, because he was like, 'Hey, I got bit by a shark,'" Berger said. "And people were like, 'I'll buy you drinks.' So he hung out at the pier."

More at: https://www.kcci.com/article/surfer-...pital/28531986

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Florida banned longlining sharks years ago.

This is what you get.

Hope they go broke.

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    AF, don't do something.

Don't go running into machine gun fire.

Because of the choices that you $#@!s have made, there aren't many choices.

A Hawaiian teen is lucky to be alive after a shark came close to biting off one of his limbs while he was out for a surf recently.
    Max Keliikipi has been surfing almost every day this summer, but he’s never encountered a shark before.
    That all changed on Sunday when the 16-year-old went out surfing and was waiting for one last wave, approximately 100 yards away from the shore, and saw something sticking out of the water, KHON2 News reports.
    What Keliikipi initially believed was a turtle fin poking out from the water ultimately turned out to be a shark.
    With nowhere else to go, Keliikipi said he quickly pulled himself onto the board, sitting up and making sure that all of his limbs were on top and not dangling in the water.
    Unfortunately, that didn’t stop the shark from darting towards him.
    The aquatic predator’s aggressive force knocked the teen into the water before it took a bite out of the nose of his surfboard — just inches away from where his feet were.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...035636260.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Cape Cod’s New Normal: Sharks Are Everywhere

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cape-co...re-11566034200
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Cape Cod’s New Normal: Sharks Are Everywhere

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cape-co...re-11566034200
    A rise in great white shark sightings is causing panic on beaches on the US east coast, according to reports.
    Authorities in Cape Cod have put up warning signs and shut down beaches dozens of times in response to an increasing number of sightings.
    Between July and the first week of August, there have been at least 59 beach closures due to shark sightings on Cape Cod and Islands, in southeastern Massachusetts, according to the Boston Globe, with some 42 beach closures occurring in the first week of August alone.
    One resident, AJ Salerno, told the Wall Street Journal, said he had considered moving after feeling compelled to ban his teenage son from surfing.
    “We’ve been bullied out of the water by the sharks,” he said.
    Some authorities have put up warning signs on beaches, reading: “People have been seriously injured and killed by white sharks along this coastline,” while a Massachusetts state researcher who tags great whites said he had his busiest July.
    Footage circulated online this week showing a 17ft great white shark swimming around a family’s boat just off Cape Cod Bay.
    One day later, the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy (AWSC), a non-profit that raises awareness of great white sharks and runs a project to count the existing population in around Cape Cod, posted a video online showing sea water turning red after a shark attacked a seal.
    Great white shark numbers are decreasing, according to the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), which lists the species as “vulnerable”.
    But they have flocked to Cape Cod in growing numbers and, according to AWSC, the cape is now the only known place in the northwest Atlantic where white sharks aggregate.
    Researchers believe the rise in shark sightings might be drive by the US 1972 Marine Mammal Protection Act, which banned catching marine mammals including seals, whales and dolphins and made seal populations thrive just off Cape Cod.
    With seals being one of the great white sharks’ favoured prey, their abundance attracted the ocean predators.
    In September last year, a man who died after being bitten by a shark in Cape Cod became Massachusetts’ first shark attack fatality since 1936.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/ve-bullied-wa...142627085.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But they have flocked to Cape Cod in growing numbers and, according to AWSC, the cape is now the only known place in the northwest Atlantic where white sharks aggregate
    God save me from bots and Wogs writing English language press copy.

The word you mean is congregate NOT aggregate.

God save me from bots and Wogs writing English language press copy.

The word you mean is congregate NOT aggregate.
    It gets worse every year.

I see more blatant errors all the time.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm not sure what the hub-bub is.

Kongsberg has been on this for a couple of years now.

Regardless, this is the future.

Give it 30 years or so...and there will be no more sea captains, no more pilots, no more truckers, no more taxi drivers, no more railroad engineers...

The Robot Ship Set to Cross the Atlantic and Change the World

https://www.thedailybeast.com/maxlim...ange-the-world

The blocky, 36-foot-long, yellow- and white-striped vessel bobbing off the coast of the United Kingdom sure doesn’t look like much. But Maxlimer just might be the most important ship in the world right now.

Maxlimer is totally robotic. And it’s poised to be the first unmanned surface vessel, or USV, to cross the Atlantic. The journey could prove the case for a host of new oceangoing drones: crewless cargo ships; unmanned oil tankers; robotic work boats.

But don’t hold your breath. Widespread adoption could take years or even decades.

Maxlimer is a product of SEA-KIT, a maritime tech company based in southeast England. Eyeing potentially lucrative contracts supporting offshore oil and gas drilling, SEA-KIT aimed to produce a flexible ship that’s cheaper and safer than manned ships are.

With no need to support a human crew, a robotic support ship could devote more space to equipment, including a flotilla of smaller drone boats and submarines that it can launch and retrieve. Since it doesn’t get hungry, tired, or sick, it could sail at a leisurely eight miles per hour until it runs out of fuel, potentially nine months at a stretch.

UNDER THE SEA
    How Subsea Robots Will Explore Earth’s Final Frontier
    Stav Dimitropoulos
    photo of subsea autonomous underwater robot shell xprize coral reef auv aus map world ocean underwater
    Maxlimer is “almost like a utility pickup vehicle of the sea,” SEA-KIT managing director Ben Simpson said. “It’s robust, it’s adaptable, it’s got a huge range.” It can carry 2 1/2 tons of cargo.

And it’s cheap. “SEA-KIT vessels use less than five percent of the fuel required to operate a standard ocean-going vessel,” Neil Tinmouth, SEA-KIT’s chief operating officer, told The Daily Beast. “This is a game-changer when it comes to the carbon footprint and environmental impact of these operations.”

Starting in 2016, SEA-KIT worked with a U.K. shipbuilder to produce Maxlimer’s aluminum hull. A Norwegian defense firm provided the electronics for remote control. In the crowded waters of a port, a human operator remotely steers Maxlimer via radio. On the open ocean, it autonomously follows GPS signals.

Maxlimer launched in 2017 and spent a couple years in testing. The results were encouraging. In May 2019 the Maxlimer team snagged the Shell Ocean Discovery X-Prize, a $7 million award for the best ocean-mapping technology.

That same month, Maxlimer made a quick cargo run between Britain and Belgium, hauling oysters and beer. This fall, the robot ship sailed to Norway for what Tinmouth described as “the first completely unmanned offshore commercial pipeline inspection” using onboard sensors and a small drone submarine.

“The numerous missions allowed our shore-based crew to operate and test the vessel offshore in various scenarios and sea-states, both day and night,” Tinmouth told The Daily Beast.

Next up: the vaunted Atlantic crossing. Tinmouth said the month-long journey is on schedule for the first half of 2020. Assuming Maxlimer successfully completes the trip, SEA-KIT hopes to begin expanding the technology. “We have already designed and are looking to develop a larger USV with additional capabilities.”

The second-in-command of a Navy submarine was fired this week, making him the third senior leader of a ship to be dismissed in two days.
    Lt. Cmdr. Jonathan Cebik was removed Monday from his position as executive officer of the USS Jimmy Carter over concerns regarding his personal judgment. Two other senior officers were removed for the same reason Tuesday.
    Such dismissals are by no means unusual, current and former Navy officers told the Washington Examiner. A 2004 Navy inspector general report found that 78 officers were removed for similar reasons between January 1999 and June 2004, an average of slightly more than one per month.

"If someone were to take and graph these reliefs over time, you would find that they are fairly regular," Bryan McGrath, a Navy contractor and former Navy officer, told the Washington Examiner. "They happen every year, and they tend to happen in little cluster groups. I can't explain that. I don't think anyone can."
    McGrath said he served with one of the relieved commanders but declined to specify which.
    The spate of firings comes as the Navy continues to implement reforms following two high-profile collisions involving the USS John McCain and USS Fitzgerald in 2017. Investigations into the accidents found that inadequate leadership and subpar training contributed, sparking a major internal review and 117 changes across the fleet. The reform process has also reinvigorated a debate between senior leaders and a younger generation of officers over the Navy's zero-tolerance culture regarding mistakes.
    "In the U.S. Navy, there is a widespread perception that no mistakes or failings will be tolerated. Such zero-error tolerance is one of the main reasons for the relief from command of U.S. naval officers in the past two decades," Milan Vego, a professor at the U.S. Naval War College, wrote in an article for the U.S. Naval Institute last year.
    While the exact reasons behind the recent firings remain unclear, some officers are concerned commanding officers are not given a chance to learn from their mistakes.
    "We are breeding a generation of COs who will be afraid to take risks," Lt. Cmdr. James Drennan told the Washington Examiner.

More at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...erance-culture

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "We are breeding a generation of COs who will be afraid to take risks," Lt. Cmdr. James Drennan told the Washington Examiner.
    That horse has long since left the barn.

More great white sharks than ever are being spotted off the coast of Nova Scotia—including a 10-foot female who pinged in Halifax's harbour last month.
    Sharks aren't new visitors to these waters—about 20 different kinds of sharks have been regularly inhabiting the area for hundreds of years. But, just as grizzly bears aren't native to Nova Scotia's forests, great whites were never a run-of-the-mill sighting here.

Dalton Lahey, 29, has been full-time fishing crab, lobster, halibut, and sea urchins off the coast of Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, for the past 10 years. He saw his first great white shark last year, about 100 kilometres from shore.
    "It was chasing seals, and came pretty well right out of the water," he said, while getting ready for early-morning mackerel fishing. "From nose to tail, [it was] probably 10 to 12 feet, at least. Definitely not something you expected to see."
    According to Fisheries and Oceans Canada, there have been roughly 57 confirmed sightings of great white sharks in Atlantic Canadian waters since the 1800s; 22 of them occurred in the past nine years.

More at: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/g...-coast-halifax

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

AF doesn’t do anything worthwhile anymore.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    AF doesn’t do anything worthwhile anymore.
    That's because he's contumacious.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That's because he's contumacious.
    AF doesn't do anything therefore he's an ancient Chinese philosopher?

That's racist.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    AF doesn't do anything therefore he's an ancient Chinese philosopher?

That's racist.
    I think you Confuciused.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I keep @Danke from freezing his ass off like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

But he doesn't appreciate it...

Af do something!

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    She's made it

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A Florida man had an unexpectedly gnarly surfing experience Tuesday: He landed on a shark.
    Donald Walsh, a chiropractor, was surfing when he went airborne and crash-landed on the shark, as The Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.
    "It felt like a freight train hit me and the first thing I could think of was to literally push him away from me and as soon as it happened, I grabbed my board and started to paddle as fast as I could," Walsh told Click Orlando.
    Walsh was making his way back to shore after he had been surfing for several hours and attempted to "go airborne," something he doesn't typically do, when he landed on the shark. Walsh tried to flee, and the shark bit him once, resulting in lacerations on his arm and his calf.
    "I never did see the shark as I was coming down," Walsh told the News-Journal. "I did see it after the bite happened."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/florida-surfe...155151506.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Over thirty people on a boat that size?

At 0500...?

Human smugglers I'm betting...let's see how this plays out

34 People Feared Dead After Boat Fire off California’s Santa Cruz Island

https://www.breitbart.com/local/2019...a-cruz-island/

At least 34 people are feared dead after a boat burst into flames off Santa Cruz Island, California, on Monday morning, according to reports.
    The Coast Guard Los Angeles was dispatched to battle the blaze at around 5:00 a.m.

“The Coast Guard has launched multiple rescue assets along with assets from local agencies to assist more than 30 people in distress on a 75ft boat near Santa Cruz Island. More details will be available later as this operation continues,” the U.S. Coast Guard’s Los Angeles base announced.

“The vessel was reported as being on fire. The a group of crew members has been rescued (one with minor injuries) and efforts continue to evacuate the remaining passengers,” USCG Los Angeles wrote in a subsequent tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    AF, don't do something.

Don't go running into machine gun fire.

Because of the choices that you $#@!s have made, there aren't many choices.
    Go play in traffic.

At 0500...?

At least 34 people are feared dead after a boat burst into flames off Santa Cruz Island, California, on Monday morning, according to reports.
    The Coast Guard Los Angeles was dispatched to battle the blaze at around 5:00 a.m.

“The Coast Guard has launched multiple rescue assets along with assets from local agencies to assist more than 30 people in distress on a 75ft boat near Santa Cruz Island. More details will be available later as this operation continues,” the U.S. Coast Guard’s Los Angeles base announced.

“The vessel was reported as being on fire. The a group of crew members has been rescued (one with minor injuries) and efforts continue to evacuate the remaining passengers,” USCG Los Angeles wrote in a subsequent tweet.
    No escape from dive boat inferno: The bunk beds where 34 died after being trapped below deck by fire as captain frantically told rescuers 'they can't get out' and 'there's no escape hatch'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...deck-fire.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    No escape from dive boat inferno: The bunk beds where 34 died after being trapped below deck by fire as captain frantically told rescuers 'they can't get out' and 'there's no escape hatch'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...deck-fire.html
    Sweet Jesus...do recall that incident off Palm Beach where myself and Richard B. pulled all those people off that dive boat that sank?

They were trapped as well, we bashed the main cabin's portlights out and pulled them out through there.

To carry that many people, it has to be an inspected vessel.

There is supposed to be an "alternate means of egress" from any passenger berthing area.

Sweet Jesus...do recall that incident off Palm Beach where myself and Richard B. pulled all those people off that dive boat that sank?

They were trapped as well, we bashed the main cabin's portlights out and pulled them out through there.

There is supposed to be an "alternate means of egress" from any passenger berthing area.
    The CG said it was cleared for inspection. However, there is an investigation going. Common sense would dictate there should of been escape hatches, but we do not know the whole story. From what I gathered it was so fast and then something exploded (propane? Scuba tanks?) it is still not known. Chances are they died of smoke inhalation, before the fire got to them--or at least one would hope. Very incredibly sad.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

At 0500...?

They were on a 3 day diving excursion, it was a group from Santa Cruz and the bay area. I believe they were mostly asian american.

It was a 3 story boat. Bottom floor was the sleeping quarters. Fire started in the galley above the sleeping quarters.

Explosions heard onboard by the crew, but not by nearby boats.
    Last edited by dannno; 09-04-2019 at 01:24 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Longtime Santa Barbara fisherman Nick Voss, familiar with the boat and Truth Aquatics, praised the operation. “It’s so well run, so clean, so tight,” he said. “Their boats are just immaculate. You could eat off the engine.”
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I started a new thread on this topic:

Santa Barbara Boat Fire, 34 Dead, Catastrophe Under Investigation by Feds

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...gation-by-Feds

AF could have prevented this if he (and his "profession") would have lobbied for stricter inspections.

Once again, AF did nothing.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast