Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AF do something!

A massive hammerhead shark was spotted near a popular Florida beach on Tuesday, sparking fear and awe among visitors.
    Photos of the shark shared by the Navarre Beach Fire Department show the approximately 13-foot creature swimming just a few feet away from the shore as beachgoers peer at its fin looming just above the surface.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/massive-13-fo...161725422.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I would think you would want to serve on a Whaler instead.
    To harpoon and endanger women at POW?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    To harpoon and endanger women at POW?
    MAGA

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Who is a fault?
    There are bunch of different rules in play here:

First is Rule One - Applicability

RULE 1 Application (a) These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in allwaters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels.
    So, both vessels are bound by COLREGS

RULE 5 Look-out Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.
    Was there a proper and qualified lookout? Judging by the SNAFU scene on deck of the sailing vessel I'd say not.

RULE 6 Safe Speed Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.
    The larger vessel may have violated this rule.

RULE 7 Risk of Collision (a) Every vessel shall use all available means appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions to determine if risk of collision exists. If there is any doubt such risk shall be deemed to exist.
    The sailing vessel recognized this by sounding the "danger" signal. No response from the larger vessel indicates at first glance, no proper lookout.

RULE 8 Action to Avoid Collision (a) Any action taken to avoid collision shall be taken in accordance with the Rules of this Part and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, be positive, made in ample time and with due regard to the observance of good seamanship.(b) Any alteration of course and/or speed to avoid collision shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, be large enough to be readily apparent to another vessel observing visually or by radar; a succession of small alterations of course and/or speed should be avoided. (c) If there is sufficient sea room, alteration of course alone may be the most effective action to avoid a close-quarters situation provided that it is made in good time, is substantial and does not result in another close-quarters situation. (d) Action taken to avoid collision with another vessel shall be such as to result in passing at a safe distance. The effectiveness of the action shall be carefully checked until the other vessel is finally past and clear. (e) If necessary to avoid collision or allow more time to assess the situation, a vessel shall slacken her speed or take all way off by stopping or reversing her means of propulsion. (f) (i) A vessel which, by any of these rules, is required not to impede thepassage or safe passage of another vessel shall, when required by the circumstances of the case, take early action to allow sufficient sea room for the safe passage of the other vessel. (ii) A vessel required not to impede the passage or safe passage of another vessel is not relieved of this obligation if approaching the other vessel so as to involve risk of collision and shall, when taking action,have full regard to the action which may be required by the rules of this part. (iii) A vessel, the passage of which is not to be impeded remains fully obliged to comply with the rules of this part when the two vessels are approaching one another so as to involve risk of collision.
    All of that sea lawyer mumbo jumbo means: you are to take whatever action needed to avoid collision and it should be large, and clear, what you are doing.

This does not apply in a close quarters meeting situation assuming proper meeting arrangements have been agreed upon, by radio, whistle, light signals or code flags.

Both vessels violated this rule.

RULE 9 Narrow Channels (a) A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway shall keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which Iies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable. (b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.
    The sailing vessel clearly violated this rule, by turning right in front of the larger vessel.

RULE 14 Head-on Situation (a) When two power-driven vessels are meeting on reciprocal or nearly reciprocal courses so as to involve risk of collision each shall alter her course to starboard so that each shall pass on the port side of the other. (b) Such a situation shall be deemed to exist when a vessel sees the other ahead or nearly ahead and by night she could see the masthead lights of the other in a line or nearly in a line and/or both sidelights and by day she observes the corresponding aspect of the other vessel. (c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether such a situation exists she shall assume that it does exist and act accordingly.
    The sailing vessel attempted to do this, but failed to do so in timely manner.

It should have maintained course and speed and passed starboard to starboard instead of normal port to port passing.

RULE 18 Responsibilities Between Vessels Except where Rules 9, 10 and 13 otherwise require: (a) A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of: (i) a vessel not under command; (ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver; (iii) a vessel engaged in fishing; (iv) a sailing vessel.
    See Rule 9 above.

Maritime law assigns a "percentage" of fault in a marine incident.

Assuming both vessels had proper lookouts and followed radio protocol, I'd say the sailing vessel was 70 percent liable and the large vessel 30 percent.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

I would think you would want to serve on a Whaler instead.
    Many years ago...this was back in the 80s, the Norwegians resumed a limited whale harvest, accompanied by howls of protest from tree huggers and seal fondlers around the world.

I actually wrote the Norwegian consulate and the director of fisheries resources in Norway, asking for a billet on one of their vessels.

I said I'd even be willing to do it as an unpaid volunteer, but as a fully qualified and documented mariner...just to have the experience, to say that I did it.

I'm in the offshore oil business now, have been for 25 years, and my romantic side of me says I am doing what New England seamen have done for centuries now: sail the world's oceans in search of oil to keep the lights on back home. It's a bit of fantasy that helps keep me sane.

But I never did get to be a whaler, more's the pity.

Given the acidic, terse, reply (which I still have framed, somewhere in my stuff) from the Norwegians that I got, I can only assume they thought I was some kind of dirty GreenPeace hippy, trying to infiltrate their vessels and cause unrest and malingering amongst the crew.

True story...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Many years ago...this was back in the 80s, the Norwegians resumed a limited whale harvest, accompanied by howls of protest from tree huggers and seal fondlers around the world.

I actually wrote the Norwegian consulate and the director of fisheries resources in Norway, asking for a billet on one of their vessels.

I said I'd even be willing to do it as an unpaid volunteer, but as a fully qualified and documented mariner...just to have the experience, to say that I did it.

I'm in the offshore oil business now, have been for 25 years, and my romantic side of me says I am doing what New England seamen have done for centuries now: sail the world's oceans in search of oil to keep the lights on back home. It's a bit of fantasy that helps keep me sane.

But I never did get to be a whaler, more's the pity.

Given the acidic, terse, reply (which I still have framed, somewhere in my stuff) from the Norwegians that I got, I can only assume they thought I was some kind of dirty GreenPeace hippy, trying to infiltrate their vessels and cause unrest and malingering amongst the crew.

True story...
    Did you ever try Japan or Russia?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Did you ever try Japan or Russia?
    Nahhh, nope...didn't want to do it that badly.

'Boat Rage' Incident Captured In Macomb County [VIDEO]

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/artic...b-county-video

You have to see it to believe it.
    JULY 02, 2019 - 10:36 AM
    CATEGORIES: Macomb County News Local News
    (WWJ) There's road rage, and then there's this.

Call it boat rage.

In this incident, a man in a small aluminum boat circles a larger boat on Lake St. Clair this weekend. He comes perilously close before he charges at the larger boat from behind.

He rams into it and comes up over the stern, smashing both boats in the process.

The couple who were the victims in this case told WXYZ-TV they were uninjured but their boat suffered extensive damage. They did not say what led to the incident.

The victims called police after the incident and reported that Macomb County Sherriff’s deputies arrested Timothy Kennedy of New Baltimore for the incident a short time later.

Kennedy, 39, was arraigned Monday on charges of operating while intoxicated and malicious destruction of property. He was given a $5,000 (10%) bond; He's scheduled to be back in court on July 15.

The Atlantic White Shark Conservancy has tagged its first two great white sharks of the season in Cape Cod Bay, according to a tweet the organization posted Monday afternoon. At least 11 white sharks were spotted and two were tagged by Greg Skomal, senior fisheries scientist with the state Division of Marine fisheries. All of the sharks were on Billingsgate Shoal. The two sharks that were tagged were 9 feet and 10 feet long. Skomal’s work with the conservancy is expanding into Cape Cod Bay this year, following frequent reports last year of sharks snagging fish caught by passengers on charter boats. In the past, experts have mostly focused on shark activity in the Outer Cape. The conservancy also tweeted a video of its research team tagging one of the sharks. As a member of the team tags a shark, a woman behind the camera says “Alright! First one in Cape Cod Bay!

More at: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...llL/story.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Beachgoers may spot different marine life off the coast such as dolphins, but it's not everyday that a great white shark swims by.Today is different. OCEARCH, a research organization, says a 10 feet, 2 inch long great white shark last pinged off the coast of Wallops Island, Virginia on Sunday.
    The shark, named Miss May, has been swimming north for more than a month. She's been visiting areas such as Charleston, South Carolina, Wilmington, North Carolina, and up through the Delmarva Peninsula of Virginia and Maryland.
    In just the last 72 hours, Miss May has swam 139 miles northward up the coast, according to OCEARCH. Over the span of OCEARCH's efforts to track Miss May, she has swam more than 2,600 miles. She was first tagged by OCEARCH at Fernandina Beach, Florida, on Feb. 15.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/10-foot-long-...170823696.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

On the east coast:

Startline 1970.

Foreign trawlers fishing off the coast of the US/Canada threaten to wipe out groundfish stocks.

Congress passes 200 mile limit and kicks them all out in 1976.

Right around the same time, Congress passes laws prohibiting seal bounties and hunting.

Lack of cheap fish in great volume from the foreign flag vessels results in shortages and higher prices: fish brokers and restaurants cry foul.

Congress passes low interest loan guarantees under the Jones Act, basically passing out free money to anybody who wants to buy or build a fishing boat, in order to get seafood back on the market.

Hundreds, thousands of new hulls are built.

On the east coast, the new vessels, almost all run by corporate fleets and not owner-operators, push for the bottom line and fast buck.

On the gulf coast, newly arrived Vietnamese migrants use refugee status to put themselves and their kin at the front of the line to receive taxpayer funded vessel loans, displacing thousands of native US fishermen, leading to incidents of actual armed combat around the Gulf of Mexico.

In both areas fish stocks are hammered even harder by the new massive fleet, funded by tax dollars.

Ten years later, Uncle Sucker decides all these boats have to go, and starts a process of deliberately imposing onerous and burdensome regulations designed to put fishermen out of work. This ultimately affects the small owner-operator, the very best steward of marines resources, and leaves many of the corporate "fleet" vessels unscathed.

But it appears to be too little too late, groundfish (cod, haddock, hake, whiting, fluke, flounder, halibut) stocks continue to decline.

More burdensome regulations, bans, "buybacks" and the collapse of 300 year old fishing communities ensues.

Fast forward twenty years.

Just as the groundfish stocks start to look like they might recover, out of the blue comes an explosion in the seal population (the same ones that Uncle Sucker protected 40 years before, remember?) that begin to decimate the young and just barely recovering groundfish stocks. (Seals are notoriously wasteful, they will routinely kill a codfish to eat the belly flaps and discard the rest of the fish. They were hunted for a reason.)

And so many coastal communities, that readily and happily discarded dirty, stinking and filthy fish docks, for bright tourist based economies and yacht clubs and beaches, find themselves in a panic because with the seals, have come a huge increase in sharks and in shark attacks, casting a giant black cloud over "Shark Central" tourism.

And also, the seal $#@! is now so thick that beaches routinely have to be closed due to high e.coli levels caused by it.

And somewhere, out by Davy Jones, Quint is laughing his ass off.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-13-2019 at 12:10 AM.

A 16-year-old girl was bitten by a shark while boogie boarding in Florida, police say.

The teen was bitten while in the Atlantic Ocean outside her hotel in Amelia Island on Friday, according to the Nassau County Sheriff's office, and she suffered bites to her foot and ankle, CNN reported.
    The girl, who was vacationing from South Florida, made it to the pool area of the hotel, where first responders rushed to her aid, Sheriff Bill Leeper of Nassau County told CNN. She was then sent to a local hospital where she received several stitches.

As of July 11, there have been 45 shark attack bites reported and verified in 2019, according to Tracking Sharks – 21 were reported in the U.S.; 8 occurred in Florida.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/teen-girl-bit...200901928.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A 16-year-old girl was bitten by a shark while boogie boarding in Florida, police say.

The teen was bitten while in the Atlantic Ocean outside her hotel in Amelia Island on Friday, according to the Nassau County Sheriff's office, and she suffered bites to her foot and ankle, CNN reported.
    The girl, who was vacationing from South Florida, made it to the pool area of the hotel, where first responders rushed to her aid, Sheriff Bill Leeper of Nassau County told CNN. She was then sent to a local hospital where she received several stitches.

As of July 11, there have been 45 shark attack bites reported and verified in 2019, according to Tracking Sharks – 21 were reported in the U.S.; 8 occurred in Florida.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/teen-girl-bit...200901928.html
    Sharks attack bodyboarders and females at an astonishingly high rate relative to ocean participation. Also ocean swimmers... and divers possibly. Surfers seem to be the least vulnerable.

Also, don't wear jewelry in the water.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-16-2019 at 11:09 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Sharks attack bodyboarders and females and an astonishingly high rate relative to ocean participation. Also ocean swimmers... and divers possibly. Surfers seem to be the least vulnerable.

Also, don't wear jewelry in the water.
    Just don't say you weren't warned:

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just don't say you weren't warned:

Isn't that from sword fighting or something?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Isn't that from sword fighting or something?
    Captain Hook lost his hand to a crocodile, Long John Silver did lose his leg in combat.

But sharks are just a capable............................

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Captain Hook lost his hand to a crocodile, Long John Silver did lose his leg in combat.

But sharks are just a capable............................
    I think it's more dangerous driving to the beach.

I think it's more dangerous driving to the beach.
    California drivers are very dangerous.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Very dangerous. Partly because many of them drive high while under the influence of marijuana. They think it's "safe" to do that.

God-damned hippies.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

14th safest state.

Utah is 47th.

https://www.carinsurancecomparison.c...worst-drivers/

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Man Drowns As Politically Correct Passengers Struggle To Describe What Just Went Overboard

https://www.theburningplatform.com/2...ent-overboard/

SAN DIEGO, CA—While sailing off the La Jolla coast Friday, a man tragically drowned after falling off a boat and being lost at sea. He could have been saved, but the other passengers who witnessed him topple over the railing spent too long debating what to yell to inform the captain that he had fallen.

“Human overboard? Person overboard? Generic sentient entity overboard?” one man mused as he sipped a strawberry daiquiri. “I don’t want to be offensive here. We’ve got to be careful.”

The woman sitting nearby him agreed. “We could just, like, do jazz hands or something and hope the captain notices?” They tried that for a while but it didn’t work. “Hmmm.”

For the next hour, as the boat sailed farther and farther away from the drowning man, the two worked brainstormed a comprehensive list of everything they could say that wouldn’t offend anyone.

They came up with lots of ideas:

Non-gender-conforming person overboard

Another member of the patriarchy is perishing don’t save him

Someone is dying but we’re not sure what xis pronouns are

The sea is angry today, my diverse friends

ARRRRR shiver me timbers thar be drownin thing in that thar water

IT’S MA’AM OVERBOARD

Thar xe blows

Vaguely human-shaped object overboard

The passengers eventually settled on “something happened to some person” but it was too late.

Via Babylon Bee

Man Drowns As Politically Correct Passengers Struggle To Describe What Just Went Overboard

https://www.theburningplatform.com/2...ent-overboard/

SAN DIEGO, CA—While sailing off the La Jolla coast Friday, a man tragically drowned after falling off a boat and being lost at sea. He could have been saved, but the other passengers who witnessed him topple over the railing spent too long debating what to yell to inform the captain that he had fallen.

“Human overboard? Person overboard? Generic sentient entity overboard?” one man mused as he sipped a strawberry daiquiri. “I don’t want to be offensive here. We’ve got to be careful.”

The woman sitting nearby him agreed. “We could just, like, do jazz hands or something and hope the captain notices?” They tried that for a while but it didn’t work. “Hmmm.”

For the next hour, as the boat sailed farther and farther away from the drowning man, the two worked brainstormed a comprehensive list of everything they could say that wouldn’t offend anyone.

They came up with lots of ideas:

Non-gender-conforming person overboard

Another member of the patriarchy is perishing don’t save him

Someone is dying but we’re not sure what xis pronouns are

The sea is angry today, my diverse friends

ARRRRR shiver me timbers thar be drownin thing in that thar water

IT’S MA’AM OVERBOARD

Thar xe blows

Vaguely human-shaped object overboard

The passengers eventually settled on “something happened to some person” but it was too late.

Via Babylon Bee
    An "accident" happened
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/A_WhiteShark/sta...86786608603138

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast