Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Julian Assange indicted on 17 new charges under Espionage Act

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    I came back from a DMT trip and the vision was clear. Hillary Clinton would have imprisoned Julian Assange for two life sentences.
    Have you signed the petition yet?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I came back from a DMT trip and the vision was clear. Hillary Clinton would have imprisoned Julian Assange for two life sentences.
    No, no you didn't..

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No, no you didn't..

I’m super serious.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Have you signed the petition yet?
    Have you signed Ross Ulbricht’s?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Have you signed Ross Ulbricht’s?
    I've never heard of it.

And that is a distraction anyway, all you want to do is virtue signal.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A new indictment against Julian Assange could further delay what was already expected to be a protracted battle to get the WikiLeaks founder out of a London jail cell and into a U.S. court, opening the door for his legal team to argue that the Espionage Act charges are political and thus not covered by an extradition treaty between the two countries.

Though the United States and the United Kingdom have a longstanding extradition treaty, one exception is for political offenses. The criteria aren't clearly spelled out, but Assange and his lawyers are likely to use the charges filed Thursday to argue that the Justice Department wants to put him on trial for crimes that are inherently political in that they involve the acquisition and publication of government secrets.
    "At least on the face of it, it seems like it would complicate the ability of the United States to extradite Assange from the U.K. because we often think of espionage as one type of political offense," said Ashley Deeks, a University of Virginia law professor and national security and international law expert.
    She said she regarded an initial indictment made public last month — charging Assange with a single count of conspiring with former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to hack a Defense Department computer password — as an attempt to "thread the needle and allege an underlying offense that did not seem like a political offense."
    Whether the new Espionage Act charges fit the traditional definition of espionage, and by extension a political offense, may be murkier. "The question remains, how will the U.K. decision-makers think about this case," Deeks said.
    That view was echoed by Stephen Vladeck, a national security law professor at the University of Texas at Austin.
    "I don't think it's an especially meritorious argument that the new charges against Assange would fall within that exception, but it's certainly a more plausible argument than the original indictment," Vladeck said. "Now Assange's lawyers can argue with a straight face to a British court that some of what he's being prosecuted for is politically motivated."
    Assange's lawyer, Barry Pollack, hinted at that argument after the new indictment was announced Thursday, saying "the fig leaf that this is merely about alleged computer hacking has been removed."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/us-charges-ag...-politics.html

Why not wait until he got here to file the new charges?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Are you implying that the 17 additional charges were levied to help Assange?

He's just using neocon speak Chief.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    He's just using neocon speak Chief.
    He's desperately trying to reconcile his unconditional support for Trump with the actions that his administration is actually taking. That's why he's repeatedly bringing up the petition.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

I'm asking a question about something weird, that is one potential answer.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I've never heard of it.

And that is a distraction anyway, all you want to do is virtue signal.
    Ross Ulbricht was the one who was running the original Silk Road when it got taken down and he subsequently went to prison.

He was framed.. a federal agent hacked the site and got all of the user info and threatened to release it to the public, which would have ruined thousands of innocent people's lives (because of federal laws on drugs). So he put a hit out on the federal agent, not knowing he was a federal agent and it was an entrapment scheme.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Ross Ulbricht was the one who was running the original Silk Road when it got taken down and he subsequently went to prison.

He was framed.. a federal agent hacked the site and got all of the user info and threatened to release it to the public, which would have ruined thousands of innocent people's lives (because of federal laws on drugs). So he put a hit out on the federal agent, not knowing he was a federal agent and it was an entrapment scheme.
    Pardon me if I fail to see the comparison between someone who tried to have somebody killed and Assange.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pardon me if I fail to see the comparison between someone who tried to have somebody killed and Assange.
    Ya, that's not what happened.

Ya, that's not what happened.
    You said it:

So he put a hit out on the federal agent

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You said it:
    The federal agent works for the federal government. The federal government has laws that would ruin thousands of innocent people's lives if the information came out. The federal agent threatening to ruin these people's lives is the aggressive action. It was an entrapment scheme.

We also don't know if the hit was actually real or invented by the feds so they could take him down. They didn't want to take the chance try and get him for selling drugs on a jury trial and be found innocent and totally embarrassed. So they cooked up something more serious. Never trust the feds.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-25-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Did ANY of the TDS folks sign the petition?
    Why? So everyone can be added to another federal list of war resistors and trouble-makers to be rounded up per Operation Garden Plot? Yep sounds like a great idea.

In case anyone hasn't figure it out yet, if SS is advising you do something, run the other direction.
    Last edited by devil21; 05-25-2019 at 07:03 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Why? So everyone can be added to another federal list of war resistors and trouble-makers to be rounded up per Operation Garden Plot? Yep sounds like a great idea.

In case anyone hasn't figure it out yet, if SS is advising you do something, run the other direction.
    Anyone who comes to this site is probably already on that list.

It is funny to watch you TDS people squirm around and make excuses for doing nothing to help Assange.
    Your'e a bunch of virtue signalling losers.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Anyone who comes to this site is probably already on that list.

It is funny to watch you TDS people squirm around and make excuses for doing nothing to help Assange.
    Your'e a bunch of virtue signalling losers.
    Yeah, because signing some data harvesting petition on a website run by the same people that are charging him will be really, really fruitful. Don't forget to send the strongly worded email as TheTexan suggested too.

I'm taking a break from working. Just got done campaigning for 2 months straight for a Congressional candidate. But no, that's nothing compared to signing a petition. You clearly win because that's not virtue signaling at all.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Yeah, because signing some data harvesting petition on a website run by the same people that are charging him will be really, really fruitful. Don't forget to send the strongly worded email as TheTexan suggested too.

I'm taking a break from working. Just got done campaigning for 2 months straight for a Congressional candidate. But no, that's nothing compared to signing a petition. You clearly win because that's not virtue signaling at all.
    I guess you can't really complain about Assange then.
    Don't worry, I will continue to.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I guess you can't really complain about Assange then.
    Don't worry, I will continue to.
    I'm sure you will. That's easy and doesn't require any actual effort.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sure you will. That's easy and doesn't require any actual effort.
    More than you are willing to put out for him.
    I've done plenty else as well and will continue to do so.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Scott Horton Examines The Garbage Assange Espionage Indictment For Journalism & Exposing The Truth
    https://www.antiwar.com/blog/2019/05...ge-indictment/

A new indictment against Julian Assange could further delay what was already expected to be a protracted battle to get the WikiLeaks founder out of a London jail cell and into a U.S. court, opening the door for his legal team to argue that the Espionage Act charges are political and thus not covered by an extradition treaty between the two countries.

Though the United States and the United Kingdom have a longstanding extradition treaty, one exception is for political offenses. The criteria aren't clearly spelled out, but Assange and his lawyers are likely to use the charges filed Thursday to argue that the Justice Department wants to put him on trial for crimes that are inherently political in that they involve the acquisition and publication of government secrets.
    "At least on the face of it, it seems like it would complicate the ability of the United States to extradite Assange from the U.K. because we often think of espionage as one type of political offense," said Ashley Deeks, a University of Virginia law professor and national security and international law expert.
    She said she regarded an initial indictment made public last month — charging Assange with a single count of conspiring with former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to hack a Defense Department computer password — as an attempt to "thread the needle and allege an underlying offense that did not seem like a political offense."
    Whether the new Espionage Act charges fit the traditional definition of espionage, and by extension a political offense, may be murkier. "The question remains, how will the U.K. decision-makers think about this case," Deeks said.
    That view was echoed by Stephen Vladeck, a national security law professor at the University of Texas at Austin.
    "I don't think it's an especially meritorious argument that the new charges against Assange would fall within that exception, but it's certainly a more plausible argument than the original indictment," Vladeck said. "Now Assange's lawyers can argue with a straight face to a British court that some of what he's being prosecuted for is politically motivated."
    Assange's lawyer, Barry Pollack, hinted at that argument after the new indictment was announced Thursday, saying "the fig leaf that this is merely about alleged computer hacking has been removed."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/us-charges-ag...-politics.html

I'm still waiting for a suggestion other than that thus was done to help Assange fight extradition.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm still waiting for a suggestion other than that thus was done to help Assange fight extradition.
    It was done to put him in a cage for the remainder of his life.

The UK would cage him forever themselves if able to.

Also, it is not like he is walking free fighting this extradition attempt.

It was done to put him in a cage for the remainder of his life.

The UK would cage him forever themselves if able to.

Also, it is not like he is walking free fighting this extradition attempt.
    It was speculated when the first charges were brought that more would be added after the US had him here but not before in order to avoid difficulty in extraditing him.
    That isn't what happened.

I'm all ears if anyone has another explanation why it didn't happen that way.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Banned

Blog Entries
    I just watched a documentary about the War of the Triple Alliance.
    It started over support of a faction in the Uruguayan civil war. Paraguay supported one side (Blancos), and Brazil and Argentina supported the other (Colorados).
    But then something happened, the Colorados won the civil war in Uruguay, and suddenly, the war went form 2 v 2, to 3 v 1, as Uruguay switched sides just like that.

This probably sounds unrelated... ...but it isn't.
    The impossible is becoming quite possible now.

Especially as the winds of politics shift in Europe.
    Big news coming Monday, in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I just watched a documentary about the War of the Triple Alliance.
    It started over support of a faction in the Uruguayan civil war. Paraguay supported one side (Blancos), and Brazil and Argentina supported the other (Colorados).
    But then something happened, the Colorados won the civil war in Uruguay, and suddenly, the war went form 2 v 2, to 3 v 1, as Uruguay switched sides just like that.

This probably sounds unrelated... ...but it isn't.
    The impossible is becoming quite possible now.

Especially as the winds of politics shift in Europe.
    Big news coming Monday, in Europe.
    The scent of war is strong both near and abroad.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If Trump is playing chess and the plan is for Assange to come out alright then the strategy must be to get the left to like Assange again and defend him so that when he pulls the rug out from under Russiagate they can't just dismiss it because "he is in league with Trump and Putin"

If that is the plan then it seems to be working already:

Rachel Maddow has aired a segment condemning the new indictment against Julian Assange for 17 alleged violations of the Espionage Act.

Yes, that Rachel Maddow.
    MSNBC’s top host began the segment after it was introduced by Chris Hayes, agreeing with her colleague that it’s surprising that more news outlets aren’t giving this story more “wall to wall” coverage, given its immense significance. She recapped Assange’s various legal struggles up until this point, then accurately described Assange’s new Espionage Act charges for publishing secret documents.

Wow. Make no mistake, this is a hugely significant development. This isn’t just some columnist for the New York Times or the Guardian, this is Rachel effing Maddow, the Queen Mother of all tinfoil pussyhat-wearing Russiagate insanity. This same pundit was just a couple of months ago not just smearing but outright lying about Assange, deceitfully telling her audience that the new legal rings closing around Assange were about his 2016 publications then instructing viewers not to Google anything about it because they’ll get computer viruses. Now that she’s recognized that this could actually hurt her and her network directly, she’s finally feeding her audience a different narrative out of sheer enlightened self-interest.

In addition to Hayes’ coverage of the story, MSNBC’s Ari Melber also did a segment harshly criticizing the implications of Trump administration’s new charges. We’re seeing multiple segments from CNN about the grave dangers of the legal precedent that is being set with the superseding indictment, as well as urgent warnings about the new charges from major publications like the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Guardian. The outlets which have been smearing Assange relentlessly are now finding themselves forced to defend him.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...te-tied-theirs

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    The outlets which have been smearing Assange relentlessly are now finding themselves forced to defend him.
    Either one of two things happened here:

1) My enemies suddenly became virtuous

2) they really don't want Assange headed over here.

Now, the reason they don't want Assange here can not be because of any virtuous concern. They never cared about him before.

or

They are still reading that disinformation pool of sweet bad ideas, Q, and are afraid Trump secretly wants Assange in America to spill the big beans.

It doesn't mean Trump wants Assange in America to spill the beans. But it does mean they think he does.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Either one of two things happened here:

1) My enemies suddenly became virtuous

2) they really don't want Assange headed over here.

Now, the reason they don't want Assange here can not be because of any virtuous concern. They never cared about him before.

or

They are still reading that disinformation pool of sweet bad ideas, Q, and are afraid Trump secretly wants Assange in America to spill the big beans.

It doesn't mean Trump wants Assange in America to spill the beans. But it does mean they think he does.
    The new charges do seem designed to keep Assange from being extradited, if they wanted to actally prosecute him they would have waited until they had him here to hit him with them.

They also seem to be going overboard in order to force the MSM to defend him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast