Thread: Rand Paul splits with Amash on Trump impeachment

Rand Paul splits with Amash on Trump impeachment

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) broke with his fellow libertarian-leaning lawmaker Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) on impeachment Wednesday.

Paul told HuffPost in an interview that special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election was the “antithesis of libertarianism.”

“I actually think the libertarian position on the investigation is ― you know, libertarians, we’ve been very, very critical of the intelligence community having too much power, including congressman Amash has said, you know, really you should have to get a warrant before you get an American’s records,” Paul told the outlet.

Amash this week became the first Republican in the House to support impeachment proceedings against President Trump based on the results of Mueller's report.

He tweeted Saturday that "1. Attorney General Barr has deliberately misrepresented Mueller’s report. 2. President Trump has engaged in impeachable conduct. 3. Partisanship has eroded our system of checks and balances. 4. Few members of Congress have read the report."

Amash's comments have sparked intense backlash from all flanks of the Republican party.

Trump fired back at the Michigan lawmaker over the weekend, calling him a "loser."
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...mp-impeachment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know if impeachment is the right thing or not, but the reality is Rand probably wouldn't have been re-elected if he didn't endorse Trump.

Good for Rand.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I don't know if impeachment is the right thing or not, but the reality is Rand probably wouldn't have been re-elected if he didn't endorse Trump.
    Yeah but the Republicans wouldn't of won without Rand Paul's support either- so they will have a harder time primarying him than JA. They openly declared war against JA though, maybe he knows his time is short so that's why he said all this.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    And even more important, Rand was able to disagree with Amash without angrily calling him a traitor while railing about how he needs to lose his seat, unlike Donald and the Trumpettes.....

I stand with Rand.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    And even more important, Rand was able to disagree with Amash without angrily calling him a traitor while railing about how he needs to lose his seat, unlike Donald and the Trumpettes.....
    I'm a Trump supporter, now, think he might go down in history as the best president ever for exposing the bull$#@! that is D.C. And I disagree with Amash on this. I'm not nor would ever call for his ouster. His voting record is damn fine in total. But he's $#@!ing wrong on this one. Meh.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.