Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IQ rates are dropping in many developed countries

Exclamation IQ rates are dropping in many developed countries

Many reasons for this:

Weak, gynocentric, participation trophy, "schooling" and institutions of higher learning.

Idiocracy style breeding habits.

Ever $#@!ing computers at every turn doing our thinking and problem solving for us.

But I hold, in spite of any denials, the primary cause is the invasion and importation of tens of millions of semi literate, sub 80 IQ idiots, from every third world cesspool across the globe.

Diversity is not our strength.

IQ rates are dropping in many developed countries

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...de-ncna1008576

People are getting dumber. That's not a judgment; it's a global fact. In a host of leading nations, IQ scores have started to decline.

Though there are legitimate questions about the relationship between IQ and intelligence, and broad recognition that success depends as much on other virtues like grit, IQ tests in use throughout the world today really do seem to capture something meaningful and durable. Decades of research have shown that individual IQ scores predict things such as educational achievement and longevity. More broadly, the average IQ score of a country is linked to economic growth and scientific innovation.

So if IQ scores are really dropping, that could not only mean 15 more seasons of the Kardashians, but also the potential end of progress on all these other fronts, ultimately leading to fewer scientific breakthroughs, stagnant economies and a general dimming of our collective future.

As yet, the United States hasn’t hit this IQ wall — despite what you may be tempted to surmise from the current state of the political debate. But don’t rush to celebrate American exceptionalism: If IQs are dropping in other advanced countries but not here, maybe that means we’re not really an advanced country (too much poverty, too little social support).

Or — just as troubling — if we are keeping up with the Joneses (or Johanssons and Jacques) in terms of national development, that means we are likely to experience similarly plummeting IQs in the near future. At which point, the U.S. will face the same dangers of intellectual and economic stagnation.

If we want to prevent America from suffering this fate, we’d better figure out why IQs are dropping elsewhere. But it’s uncharted territory. Until recently, IQ scores only moved in one direction: up. And if you're thinking, "Isn't the test set up so that 100 is always the average IQ?," that's only true because researchers rescale the tests to correct for improving raw scores. (Also, congrats, that’s the kind of critical thinking we don’t want to lose!)

These raw scores have been rising on a variety of standard IQ tests for over half a century. That may sound odd if you think of IQ as largely hereditary. But current IQ tests are designed to measure core cognitive skills such as short-term memory, problem-solving speed and visual processing, and rising scores show that these cognitive capabilities can actually be sharpened by environmental factors such as higher-quality schools and more demanding workplaces.

For a while, rising IQ scores seemed like clear evidence of social progress, palpable proof that humanity was getting steadily smarter — and might even be able to boost brainpower indefinitely. Scholars called it the "Flynn effect," in homage to J.R. Flynn, the researcher who recognized its full sweep and import.

These days, however, Flynn himself concedes that "the IQ gains of the 20th century have faltered." A range of studies using a variety of well-established IQ tests and metrics have found declining scores across Scandinavia, Britain, Germany, France and Australia.

Details vary from study to study and from place to place given the available data. IQ shortfalls in Norway and Denmark appear in longstanding tests of military conscripts, whereas information about France is based on a smaller sample and a different test. But the broad pattern has become clearer: Beginning around the turn of the 21st century, many of the most economically advanced nations began experiencing some kind of decline in IQ.

One potential explanation was quasi-eugenic. As in the movie “Idiocracy,” it was suggested that average intelligence is being pulled down because lower-IQ families are having more children ("dysgenic fertility" is the technical term). Alternatively, widening immigration might be bringing less-intelligent newcomers to societies with otherwise higher IQs.

However, a 2018 study of Norway has punctured these theories by showing that IQs are dropping not just across societies but within families. In other words, the issue is not that educated Norwegians are increasingly outnumbered by lower-IQ immigrants or the children of less-educated citizens. Even children born to high-IQ parents are slipping down the IQ ladder.

(Import and surround yourself with idiots, and you will not escape enstupidation yourself - AF)

Some environmental factor — or collection of factors — is causing a drop in the IQ scores of parents and their own children, and older kids and their younger siblings. One leading explanation is that the rise of lower-skill service jobs has made work less intellectually demanding, leaving IQs to atrophy as people flex their brains less.

There are also other possibilities, largely untested, such as global warming making food less nutritious or information-age devices sapping our ability to focus.

Ultimately, it’d be nice to pin down the precise reason IQ scores are dropping before we’re too stupid to figure it out, especially as these scores really do seem connected to long-term productivity and economic success.

And while we might be able to compensate with skills besides intelligence, like determination or passion, in a world where IQ scores continue to fall — and where the drop expands to places like the United States — there’s also a bleaker scenario: a global intelligence crisis that undermines humanity's problem-solving capacity and leaves us ill-equipped to tackle the complex challenges posed by AI, global warming and developments we have yet to imagine.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Alternatively, widening immigration might be bringing less-intelligent newcomers to societies with otherwise higher IQs.
    IQ tests have been noted to have a bias in favor of white/ western education and culture so sure people who are not in that group may score lower and yet may be just as intelligent. IQ test shows you are good at taking a particular type of test- not necessarily that you have more smarts than anybody else.

Rick Rosner is considered to have one of the highest IQs in the world (upper 190's). Does he consider himself "smart"?

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-at-all-2012-4

To think you can accurately measure super high iqs is also not reasonable in that a lot of my IQ is that I'm super persistent. I know what it takes to do well on those tests in terms of time commitment. I've taken a bunch of these tests and I'm willing to spend 120 hours on them. But a really smart person like a Bill Gates would say why would I spend 120 hours on this test when I can develop a new product and make 100s of millions of dollars. It's almost as if I'm less smart for taking these tests. You have to take points off for me wasting my time.

https://www.zippia.com/advice/smarte...es-in-america/

HOW WE DETERMINED THE SMARTEST STATES IN THE COUNTRY
    While there are “objective” crtieria for intellegence like IQ scores and SATs, we went with something a little different for this analysis. Many of those tests have been shown to be biased against certain people and places, so we went with criteria that strips away a bit of that bias.

Specifically we uused the following two criteria to determine the cream from the crop when it comes to smarts:

Percentage of adults with at least a college education (Higher is smarter)
    Percentage of teenagers that are high school dropouts (Lower is smarter)

Our data comes directly from the latest American Community Survey from the Census (2010-2014).

We thought this criteria was representative of the current state of smarts with the potential for a place to improve the education levels of the next generation.

In order to determine the smartest, we ranked all the states for each criteria from one to 50 with one being the “smartest” in any category.

Liberal IQs might be dropping, but conservative IQs are skyrocketing.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Lol at that determination; people that think getting a degree makes people smart. And yet they end up hiring the dumbies to do tasks they don't know how to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    IQ tests have been noted to have a bias in favor of white/ western education and culture so sure people who are not in that group may score lower and yet may be just as intelligent.

Bull$#@!. Asians score higher than whites. They are nonwhite/eastern culture.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another factor to note (briefly noted in the OP article) is that the IQ scores get reset fairly regularly. 100 points is always the average. That makes it harder to say if scores are actually going up or down over time. 100 points this year may not be the same thing as 100 points ten years ago.

https://www.healthline.com/health/average-iq

What is the average IQ globally and in the United States?

IQ tests are made to have an average score of 100. Psychologists revise the test every few years in order to maintain 100 as the average. Most people (about 68 percent) have an IQ between 85 and 115. Only a small fraction of people have a very low IQ (below 70) or a very high IQ (above 130).

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I knew Zippy would have visited to say that, and I knew that this was the response.

I owe ya a rep.

There are also other possibilities, largely untested, such as global warming making food less nutritious or information-age devices sapping our ability to focus.
    It’s global warming!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Bernt Bratsberg and Ole Rogeberg at Norway's Ragnar Frisch Center for Economic Research have gathered “scientific proof” that we're all getting dumber. In their paper it’s reported that IQ scores have been dropping since 1975.

The study analyzed 730,000 IQ test results from young men entering Norway's compulsory military service from 1970 to 2009. IQ scores declined by an average of seven points per generation, a reversal of the so-called “Flynn effect”, where IQ was rising in the 20th century until 1975.

Bratsberg and Rogeberg discounted as significant causes: parental education, family size, increased immigration, and genetics.
    They couldn´t figure out what the ultimate cause was.

Bernt Bratsberg and Ole Rogeberg - Flynn effect and its reversal are both environmentally caused (2018): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6042097/
    (archived here: http://archive.is/UtlpE)

In 1968, George Land researched the creativity of 1,600 children starting in age from three-to-five years. He re-tested the same children at 10 years and again at 15 years of age. The results were astounding.
    Test results 5 year olds - 98%
    Test results 10 year olds - 30%
    Test results 15 year olds - 12%

The same test was given to 280,000 adults, who were only 2% “creative”.
    A good explanation could be, that our educational system was designed to train us to be good workers that follow instructions: https://www.creativityatwork.com/201...ity-be-taught/
    Last edited by Firestarter; 05-23-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Sperm count drops and now IQ, what the hell is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Must mean we're going back to the Stone Age and we'll become neanderthals again.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 05-23-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Must mean we're going back to the Stone Age and we'll become neanderthals again.
    Absolutely, we are devolving physically and mentally as a species.

The great part about getting older is I can still learn something every day . Not that I may remember it a week from now . My earliest IQ test was around just slightly over 150 . That and some silver would get me a cup of coffee . I actually feel that the smarter you are the harder it is to be patient , happy and enjoy what you have which I learned to do , very well . Otherwise if you have a lot of drive you will always be working and never rest and relax . Being slightly dull could have its advantages . You could just be happy because you are not aware of all the people stealing from you and screwing you over .
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-23-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IQ tests have been noted to have a bias in favor of white/ western education and culture so sure people who are not in that group may score lower and yet may be just as intelligent. IQ test shows you are good at taking a particular type of test- not necessarily that you have more smarts than anybody else.

Rick Rosner is considered to have one of the highest IQs in the world (upper 190's). Does he consider himself "smart"?

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-at-all-2012-4
    Of course. People of different races must have the same level of intelligence. We are all equal after all. Men and women are also exactly the same. It couldn't be that for people who migrated to colder, more challenging climates, intelligence was a more important evolutionary trait than it was in warmer, less challenging climates.

Not all Asians. East Asians specifically. And some ethnic "white" groups tend to score far higher than the rest on average. #ethnicgeneralizationisalmostimpossible
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Bernt Bratsberg and Ole Rogeberg at Norway's Ragnar Frisch Center for Economic Research have gathered “scientific proof” that we're all getting dumber. In their paper it’s reported that IQ scores have been dropping since 1975.

The study analyzed 730,000 IQ test results from young men entering Norway's compulsory military service from 1970 to 2009. IQ scores declined by an average of seven points per generation, a reversal of the so-called “Flynn effect”, where IQ was rising in the 20th century until 1975.

Bratsberg and Rogeberg discounted as significant causes: parental education, family size, increased immigration, and genetics.
    They couldn´t figure out what the ultimate cause was.

Bernt Bratsberg and Ole Rogeberg - Flynn effect and its reversal are both environmentally caused (2018): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6042097/
    (archived here: http://archive.is/UtlpE)

In 1968, George Land researched the creativity of 1,600 children starting in age from three-to-five years. He re-tested the same children at 10 years and again at 15 years of age. The results were astounding.
    Test results 5 year olds - 98%
    Test results 10 year olds - 30%
    Test results 15 year olds - 12%

The same test was given to 280,000 adults, who were only 2% “creative”.
    A good explanation could be, that our educational system was designed to train us to be good workers that follow instructions: https://www.creativityatwork.com/201...ity-be-taught/
    The opposite is true for the US and most of the world. See if you notice anything in common with the countries where this is happening.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I think it is universal, and it is technology. The less we are required to think for ourselves the less we need to or will.

It's a number of things, not necessarily in this order and here's a few for starters:

Malnutrition
    water fluoridation
    schooling
    prescription mind altering drugs
    vaccines with mercury and aluminum
    Lack of exercising
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Not all Asians. East Asians specifically. And some ethnic "white" groups tend to score far higher than the rest on average. #ethnicgeneralizationisalmostimpossible
    Ya, nobody is trying to say IQ is tied to race or ethnicity, like it can't ever be changed... Just that different groups of people from different areas have different average IQs for different reasons, and different races and ethnicities thus tend to have different IQs as a result.

It's not even a good or bad thing. People with lower IQs tend to be happier. They also tend to be poorer. These are just facts we have to deal with. The left denies them, says all groups have equal intelligence, thus why is there a wage gap between different races or groups of people? It must be racism, it must be oppression.. There can't be any other explanation. So we must take money from one group and give it to another.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Ya, nobody is trying to say IQ is tied to race or ethnicity, like it can't ever be changed... Just that different groups of people from different areas have different average IQs for different reasons, and different races and ethnicities thus tend to have different IQs as a result.

It's not even a good or bad thing. People with lower IQs tend to be happier. They also tend to be poorer. These are just facts we have to deal with. The left denies them, says all groups have equal intelligence, thus why is there a wage gap between different races or groups of people? It must be racism, it must be oppression.. There can't be any other explanation. So we must take money from one group and give it to another.
    Cultures with IQs too low are a danger to liberty and tyranny suppresses IQ in the populace.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 05-23-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The idea of IQ bias is purely ad-hoc and has never actually been demonstrated.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Cultures with IQs too low are a danger to liberty and tyranny suppress IQ in the populace.
    That is subjective, and an if/then fallacy.

Plus I dont know which they are a danger to. Liberty or tyranny? Or both? Seems like a weird statement
    Last edited by tfurrh; 05-23-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    That is subjective, an if/then fallacy, and flat out xenophobic
    Not at all.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Not at all.
    I took out the xenophobic part because after rereading I'm not sure it was.

I agree that culture's average IQ varies. But IQ is a construct. Also cultures are a construct. And it's not as if the high IQ of western civilization has produced any lasting bastion of liberty.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

I took out the xenophobic part because after rereading I'm not sure it was.

I agree that culture's average IQ varies. But IQ is a construct. Also cultures are a construct. And it's not as if the high IQ of western civilization has produced any lasting bastion of liberty.
    There are certainly many other factors involved in causing tyranny just as there are many other factors than tyranny involved in suppressing IQ but there is a minimum average IQ required for liberty, stupid people want others to lead them and are not able to understand attempts to manipulate them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That is subjective, and an if/then fallacy.

Plus I dont know which they are a danger to. Liberty or tyranny? Or both? Seems like a weird statement
    They are a danger to liberty and an asset to tyranny, they are easy to control.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast