Thread: Texas asserts sovereign immunity against Congress

Texas asserts sovereign immunity against Congress

Texas is asserting its sovereign immunity against Congress, telling Democrats on two congressional committees this week that the state has no obligation to comply with their investigative demands.
    Attorney General Ken Paxton’s office says that as a state with sovereign powers under the Constitution, Texas can’t be treated like a federal agency or Cabinet secretary who can be compelled to comply.
    “Texas does not draw its authority from the United States or the United States Constitution, but from its status as a dual sovereign within the union,” Jeffrey C. Mateer, first assistant attorney general, wrote in a letter Monday to the House Oversight and Reform Committee.
    Mr. Mateer fired off a similar letter Wednesday to the House Ways and Means Committee rebuffing its attempts, saying the state wouldn’t stand to be treated like a “subdivision of the federal government or a private citizen.”
    “Granting Congress the power to exercise ‘oversight’ over the constitutional officers of a state engaged in the lawful exercise of that state’s core authority would undermine the fabric of our system of dual sovereignty,” Mr. Mateer wrote.

Texas is objecting to Democrats’ requests for documents probing the state’s efforts to clean up its voter rolls, and documents detailing the state’s efforts to protect faith-based adoption and foster care providers against an Obama-era rule about working with same-sex couples.
    The clash could break new legal ground.
    Ken Cuccinelli, a former Republican attorney general in Virginia, said he never encountered the situation during his time in office, but he added that two constitutional principles are at stake: the sovereignty of states and the supremacy clause, which gives the federal government an edge in clashes with states.

He said Texas makes a strong case in its letters for why it will prevail.
    Congress doesn’t get to do oversight over states — period. Nor can they compel action by state officers,” he said. “If I were a betting man, I’d take Texas and give two touchdowns on this one.”

More at: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...inst-congress/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “Texas does not draw its authority from the United States or the United States Constitution, but from its status as a dual sovereign within the union,” Jeffrey C. Mateer, first assistant attorney general, wrote in a letter Monday to the House Oversight and Reform Committee.
    Mr. Mateer fired off a similar letter Wednesday to the House Ways and Means Committee rebuffing its attempts, saying the state wouldn’t stand to be treated like a “subdivision of the federal government or a private citizen.”

^^Niiice^^

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

''God Bless Texas''

It has always been my understanding that federal power/authority does not exceed or
    preside over State Powers, most like to argue against that.
    'Color of Law' is what the Fed G hides under , and what makes
    so many people believe that Fed is supreme , but it isn't constitutional law, its just the appearance of law.

''All laws repugnant to the Constitution are null and void'' - Marbury Madison 1803

Oddly enough, one of the few real powers/duties of the Fed gobt (secured borders and roads )
    is ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    ''God Bless Texas''
    Even if @TheTexan does really live there.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

''God Bless Texas''

It has always been my understanding that federal power/authority does not exceed or
    preside over State Powers, most like to argue against that.
    'Color of Law' is what the Fed G hides under , and what makes
    so many people believe that Fed is supreme , but it isn't constitutional law, its just the appearance of law.

''All laws repugnant to the Constitution are null and void'' - Marbury Madison 1803

Oddly enough, one of the few real powers/duties of the Fed gobt (secured borders and roads )
    is ignored.
    Actually I think Texas is the only state in the union that retained their legal right to succession when they joined the union.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Even if @TheTexan does really live there.
    Texas wouldn't be what it is today if it weren't for me. I've voted more than any other Texan I know.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Actually I think Texas is the only state in the union that retained their legal right to succession when they joined the union.
    That may well be , but I believe all states have that right, Lincoln didn't like the idea of State's rights.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Texas wouldn't be what it is today if it weren't for me. I've voted more than any other Texan I know.
    Texas wouldn't actually be on the map if not for it's magnificent potholes.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did the colonies worry about their authoritative form of governance when they said "no more?" Did the Southern states? It is ever the right of the people to challenge that which is bears too much on natural and Nature's rights.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 05-20-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Texas wouldn't actually be on the map if not for it's magnificent potholes.
    Lol...

Yep- officially, Texas is supposed to be an independent republic.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Yep- officially, Texas is supposed to be an independent republic.
    Probably why Texas has its own power grid separate from the rest of the nation.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Remember when Perry, One Tough Grandma, Kinky Friedman, and Tony Sanchez were all polling fairly strong? That was a good time.

Kinky said he had a plan to secure the border called Five Mexican Generals. The plan was to station 5 Mexicans across the TX/MX border and pay them $1,000/day, but deduct $100 for every undocumented crossing. Then he drank a beer in a car during a parade.

Anyway, I love it when Texas gets its back up like this. But most don't want the real deal. I've been to so many conventions where people try to work in some form of separation into the platform, and NO ONE votes for it.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Texas to Democrat Inquisition: POUND SAND

Or, in Texas lingo, they just told DC how the cow ate the cabbage.