Thread: Australian finds A$100,000 gold nugget using metal detector

Australian finds A$100,000 gold nugget using metal detector

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-48331769

Oyarde probably making vacation travel plans.

The 1.4kg nugget is estimated to be worth about A$100,000

An Australian man has unearthed a 1.4kg (49oz) gold nugget with a metal detector while wandering Western Australia's gold fields, say locals.

A shop in Kalgoorlie shared pictures of the rock online, estimated to be worth A$100,000 (£54,000; $69,000).

The unidentified man was an experienced local hobbyist, shop owner Matt Cook, told the BBC.

Finds of this scale by prospectors are known to happen a few times a year, experts say.

About three-quarters of the gold mined in Australia is produced in and around the Kalgoorlie region.

Mr Cook, who owns a shop selling supplies to gold prospectors, said the man detected the piece on some saltbush flats, about 45cm (18 inches) below the surface.

"He walked into my shop and showed me the nugget in his hand with a big smile on my face," Mr Cook told the BBC.

"It just a bit bigger than a packet of smokes, and the density of it was incredible, so heavy."

Smaller traces of gold are more common finds in the region, says Prof Sam Spearing, director of the Western Australia School of Mines at Curtin University.

"Along with the mines around, a lot of people go around as prospectors on the weekend, as a hobby. Other people do it on a full-time basis," Prof Spearing said.

"Most of the gold found is in the less than half an ounce category, but they do find them fairly frequently."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cool... I metal detect, this nugget is a dream nugget.

I’ve been increasingly interested in hunting gold as a hobby. It would be a colossal waste of my time if I was hoping to make any money, but it does seem enjoyable
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    I’ve been increasingly interested in hunting gold as a hobby. It would be a colossal waste of my time if I was hoping to make any money, but it does seem enjoyable
    Actually you can do pretty good if you do it right and not limit yourself to just gold hunting. You look for several different things at one time, this is what we do. Bone up on geology and carry a couple good field guides and keep your eyes open for good mineral specimen samples, such as good examples of certain minerals and crystals, there is a huge high dollar market for these as educational samples at schools and universities. And keep an eye out for arrowheads, these are valuable also. We have made quite a bit more on the mineral specimens than we have with finding gold, but gold is always more exhilarating. Gold fever is real. lol

But just getting out and doing some off roading is the fun, but the more you are looking for means the more you will actually find. And finding stuff is always fun too.

Lucky guy. I'd love to buy it off his hands.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    A couple of years ago I had a fantasy of going on a literally treasure hunt ala Uncharted 4 style and scuba dive for lost gold.

One hell of a find, hot damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-48331769

Oyarde probably making vacation travel plans.
    That would look good on my end table next to my leather chair . I could get the Mrs to make little costumes for it and dress him up for the holidays .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows