Thread: In first, Trump’s ambassador to Germany requests $0 more in budget, cuts spending

In first, Trump’s ambassador to Germany requests $0 more in budget, cuts spending

Richard Grenell, the U.S. ambassador to Germany and an ardent supporter of President Trump’s agenda, has broken the long practice of embassies seeking — and getting — more funding every year. In what was described as a first, he asked for zero extra in his budget request.
    What’s more, in a demonstration of his pledge to be frugal with tax dollars, he ended his last budget year with a $7.7 million surplus.
    In becoming the first American ambassador to seek no future year budget increase and to cut costs, he has won praise in Washington, especially from famed penny-pincher Sen. Rand Paul.

“It is a big step in the right direction,” said the Kentucky Republican.
    One year with Ambassador Grenell. From #Kiel in the north to #Tegernsee in the far south, #Leipzig in the east to #Düsseldorf in the west, it’s been a year filled with great experiences. Looking forward to Year 2. pic.twitter.com/KSHcV33tiQ
    — US-Botschaft Berlin (@usbotschaft) May 8, 2019

“I would give compliments were compliments were due. Anybody that is working in government that says they can hold the line on their budget deserves to be complimented,” he added.
    In a call from Berlin, Grenell explained that he believes his mission can do its job without any more money or staff. As a result, he sought nothing in his future year requests.
    He said that such a move is unheard of in diplomatic circles.
    “First of all I have to give credit by saying President Trump and Secretary [of State Mike] Pompeo expect us to be frugal and efficient with the American taxpayer dollars,” he said.

More at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...-cuts-spending
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I will buy that man a beer .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

One year with Ambassador Grenell. From #Kiel in the north to #Tegernsee in the far south, #Leipzig in the east to #Düsseldorf in the west, it’s been a year filled with great experiences. Looking forward to Year 2. pic.twitter.com/KSHcV33tiQ

He's getting an awful lot of hate on that twitter feed. People really have a problem giving praise where praise is due. Then again, it is twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Richard Grenell, the U.S. ambassador to Germany and an ardent supporter of President Trump’s agenda, has broken the long practice of embassies seeking — and getting — more funding every year. In what was described as a first, he asked for zero extra in his budget request.
    What’s more, in a demonstration of his pledge to be frugal with tax dollars, he ended his last budget year with a $7.7 million surplus.
    In becoming the first American ambassador to seek no future year budget increase and to cut costs, he has won praise in Washington, especially from famed penny-pincher Sen. Rand Paul.

“I would give compliments were compliments were due. Anybody that is working in government that says they can hold the line on their budget deserves to be complimented,” he added.
    In a call from Berlin, Grenell explained that he believes his mission can do its job without any more money or staff. As a result, he sought nothing in his future year requests.
    “First of all I have to give credit by saying President Trump and Secretary [of State Mike] Pompeo expect us to be frugal and efficient with the American taxpayer dollars,” he said.

Best be careful. Lunatic Dems could orchestrate false flag event to show the guy cannot do his job and more funding needed.

This is the problem with Rand, he takes hyperbole to a whole another level when it comes to Trump. There is TDS and on the other side of the spectrum there is Trump brown-nose syndrome (TBS) where someone is just overly generous with their dispensement of complements to Trump. Its a microscopic step in the right direction, there is no need to be over the top about what just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    This is the problem with Rand, he takes hyperbole to a whole another level when it comes to Trump. There is TDS and on the other side of the spectrum there is Trump brown-nose syndrome (TBS) where someone is just overly generous with their dispensement of complements to Trump. Its a microscopic step in the right direction, there is no need to be over the top about what just happened.
    lol... very good Jules. It's funny, and I'm going to actually agree with that truth.

In a call from Berlin, Grenell explained that he believes his mission can do its job without any more money or staff.
    He must not be very good at his job if he can't find ways to spend more money.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    He's getting an awful lot of hate on that twitter feed. People really have a problem giving praise where praise is due. Then again, it is twitter.
    If our German ambassador is universally hated by all in Germany, he's probably doing his job right.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Thats great news.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I will buy that man a beer .
    This is a huge win for MAGA for picking a cut-spending minded official for a change.
    What makes this achievement even more distinguished is that as America's first openly gay ambassador he's going above and beyond his regular duties and also leading Trump's global mission for which he was honored by Donald Trump Jr also with a tweet recently:

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/s...41928128204801

Donald Trump Jr. Verified account @DonaldJTrumpJr

This is a really big deal and with @Richardgrenell at the helm it will get done!!! Trump administration launches global effort to end criminalization of homosexuality https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/trump-administration-launches-global-effort-end-criminalization-homosexuality-n973081 … via @nbcnews

Trump administration launches global effort to end criminalization of homosexuality

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    This is a huge win for MAGA for picking a cut-spending minded official for a change.
    What makes this achievement even more distinguished is that as America's first openly gay ambassador he's going above and beyond his regular duties and also leading Trump's global mission for which he was honored by Donald Trump Jr also with a tweet recently:

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/s...41928128204801

Donald Trump Jr. Verified account @DonaldJTrumpJr

This is a really big deal and with @Richardgrenell at the helm it will get done!!! Trump administration launches global effort to end criminalization of homosexuality https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/trump-administration-launches-global-effort-end-criminalization-homosexuality-n973081 … via @nbcnews

Trump administration launches global effort to end criminalization of homosexuality
    I lived in Germany two years . I doubt anyone there cares about Homosexuality . Prostitution was legal .
    Do something Danke

Civil gender rights campiagn that the ambassador is leading is global, not just limited to Germany. He serves at the plaesure of the US President, it does not matter if locals care or not about his projects. Point was that he's doing much more than other ambassadors at much less cost, you don't see $0 headlines everyday. He probably would be a leading candidate for Trump's next Freedom Medal if he continued to perform well for rest of his term.

Civil gender rights campiagn that the ambassador is leading is global
    Fake News.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You said same before, but is that your guess or you know that for a fact?

If you are going to claim that Trump Jr created a fakenews when he praised this ambassador in cited tweet, at least present some proof and not just guesses.
    I already showed you that Trump denied having anything to do with it and that Don Jr. used it to troll the libs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess the embassy's budget for 2018 which was approximately $132 million a year is enough. Especially since the entertainment budget (like hosting of parties) falls to the ambasssador (which is why they tend to be rich people).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...dot-ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    What are you talking about? Where did Rand Paul even mention Trump?

Any department head reducing spending is a damned good thing, and if a little hyperbole encourages others to follow suit, then I say let it fly! Hyperbole is cheap.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.