Thread: Catastrophe For U.S. Corn Production: Only 30% Of Fields Have Been Planted

Exclamation Catastrophe For U.S. Corn Production: Only 30% Of Fields Have Been Planted

The double whammy - a Natural disaster and a Trump tariff/sanctions disaster. More bailouts?

Total Catastrophe For U.S. Corn Production: Only 30% Of U.S. Corn Fields Have Been Planted – 5 Year Average Is 66%

2019 is turning out to be a nightmare that never ends for the agriculture industry. Thanks to endless rain and unprecedented flooding, fields all over the middle part of the country are absolutely soaked right now, and this has prevented many farmers from getting their crops in the ground. I knew that this was a problem, but when I heard that only 30 percent of U.S. corn fields had been planted as of Sunday, I had a really hard time believing it. But it turns out that number is 100 percent accurate. And at this point corn farmers are up against a wall because crop insurance final planting dates have either already passed or are coming up very quickly. In addition, for every day after May 15th that corn is not in the ground, farmers lose approximately 2 percent of their yield. Unfortunately, more rain is on the way, and it looks like thousands of corn farmers will not be able to plant corn at all this year. It is no exaggeration to say that what we are facing is a true national catastrophe.

According to the Department of Agriculture, over the past five years an average of 66 percent of all corn fields were already planted by now…
    U.S. farmers seeded 30% of the U.S. 2019 corn crop by Sunday, the government said, lagging the five-year average of 66%. The soybean crop was 9% planted, behind the five-year average of 29%.
    I would use the word “catastrophe” to describe what Illinois farmers are facing, but the truth is that what they are going through is far beyond that.

Normally, if corn farmers have a problem getting corn in the ground then they just switch to soybeans instead. But thanks to the trade war, soybean exports have plummeted dramatically, and the price of soybeans is the lowest that it has been in a decade.

As a result there is very little profit, if any, in growing soybeans this year

Farmers in many parts of the corn belt have suffered from a wet and cooler spring, which has prevented them from planting corn. Typically when it becomes too late to plant corn, farmers will instead plant soybeans, which can grow later into the fall before harvest is required. Yet now, planting soybeans with the overabundance already in bins and scant hope for sales to one of the biggest buyers in China, could raise the risk of a financial disaster.

And if the wet conditions persist, many soybean farms are not going to be able to plant crops at all this year.

Sadly, global weather patterns are continuing to go haywire, and much more rain is coming to the middle of the country starting on Friday

Any hopes of getting corn and soybean planting back on track in the U.S. may be washed away starting Friday as a pair of storms threaten to deliver a “one-two punch” of soaking rain and tornadoes across the Great Plains and Midwest through next week.

As much as 3 to 5 inches (8 to 13 centimeters) of rain will soak soils from South Dakota and Minnesota south to Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas, according to the U.S. Weather Prediction Center in College Park, Maryland.

We have never had a year quite like this before, and U.S. food production is going to be substantially below expectations. I very much encourage everyone to get prepared for much higher food prices and a tremendous amount of uncertainty in the months ahead.

Even though I have been regularly documenting the nightmarish agricultural conditions in the middle of the country, the numbers in this article are much worse than I thought they would be at this point in 2019.

This is truly a major national crisis, and it is just getting started.

https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/...average-is-66/
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    HEMP!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    HEMP!
    Good idea there are no tariffs/sanctions yet, are there?

Nothing done here . Usually everything is wrapped up and done by May 10 or so . There have been about three years of wet with record rainfall the past 16 months .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Nothing done here . Usually everything is wrapped up and done by May 10 or so . There have been about three years of wet with record rainfall the past 16 months .
    Drone planting?

Man, cheap soybeans. That sucks.

And yet, as horrible as that is, things must really be bad for hungry people in China.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 05-16-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Drone planting?
    I will be done by Tue but it is easy for me , I am retired and do not have much to do , some is leased out . I will not lose any yield and I would not have last yr as well .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    HEMP!
    Is that good on the barbecue?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Is that good on the barbecue?
    Yes.

And
    You can feed it
    To
    Your bbq
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Catastrophe For U.S. Corn Production: Only 30% Of Fields Have Been Planted
    fields all over the middle part of the country are absolutely soaked right now, and this has prevented many farmers from getting their crops in the ground. I knew that this was a problem, but when I heard that only 30 percent of U.S. corn fields had been planted as of Sunday, I had a really hard time believing it. But it turns out that number is 100 percent accurate. And at this point corn farmers are up against a wall because crop insurance final planting dates have either already passed or are coming up very quickly. In addition, for every day after May 15th that corn is not in the ground, farmers lose approximately 2 percent of their yield. Unfortunately, more rain is on the way, and it looks like thousands of corn farmers will not be able to plant corn at all this year. It is no exaggeration to say that what we are facing is a true national catastrophe.
    Farmers refuse to change. There's no excuse for this.
    We could have an entire thread on this.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    Catastrophe For U.S. Corn Production: Only 30% Of Fields Have Been Planted

Farmers refuse to change. There's no excuse for this.
    We could have an entire thread on this.
    When I was young everyone was much more diversified . I still am but most operations are just corn , beans and wheat at most or just hay and beef . It is easier and a lot less work . When I was young it would be more like chickens , eggs , hogs , beef , corn , wheat , tobacco , sorghum , beans , oats , sheep , other fowl , ducks , turkeys etc
    Do something Danke

When I was young everyone was much more diversified . I still am but most operations are just corn , beans and wheat at most or just hay and beef . It is easier and a lot less work . When I was young it would be more like chickens , eggs , hogs , beef , corn , wheat , tobacco , sorghum , beans , oats , sheep , other fowl , ducks , turkeys etc
    I'm not talking about 'diversification' or 'rotation'... they do that.
    most commercial farmers plant only 3 crops... maybe 4 which is fine... a couple grains and a legume.

What I'm talking about is a barely used method/system of soil management known as 'no till' or 'crop crimping'.
    While conventional farmers are staring at thousands of acres of standing water....
    'no till' farms have easily soaked up the excess moisture & have their corn/wheat/soy/peanuts etc in the ground and growing.
    also their typical acre yields are a proven 2-2.5X more than 'normal' for neighboring farms.

Can the method/equipment be 'commercialized'? sure.
    then what stops it???
    ha... that's where the rest of the story lies. The answer is what you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    I'm not talking about 'diversification' or 'rotation'... they do that.
    most commercial farmers plant only 3 crops... maybe 4 which is fine... a couple grains and a legume.

What I'm talking about is a barely used method/system of soil management known as 'no till' or 'crop crimping'.
    While conventional farmers are staring at thousands of acres of standing water....
    'no till' farms have easily soaked up the excess moisture & have their corn/wheat/soy/peanuts etc in the ground and growing.
    also their typical acre yields are a proven 2-2.5X more than 'normal' for neighboring farms.

Can the method/equipment be 'commercialized'? sure.
    then what stops it???
    ha... that's where the rest of the story lies. The answer is what you'd expect.
    Everybody I know around here uses no till except tobacco only farmers South of me and some of the produce farmers here .
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-19-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    Do something Danke

Everybody I know around here uses no till except tobacco only farmers South of me and some of the produce farmers here .
    awesome.

It sucks that this event is jeopardizing the autonomy if family farms because of the unpredictable nature of modern politics.

But I'm still glad to see the water table being replenished.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    It sucks that this event is jeopardizing the autonomy if family farms because of the unpredictable nature of modern politics.

But I'm still glad to see the water table being replenished.
    I don't think it's just modern politics. This has been going on since FDR. Farmers have been denied the autonomy to stand on their own feet because they take the "blood money" from government and then government tells them what to plant, how much to plant, etc.

The few proud family farms that won't take subsidies get gobbled up by corporate farms that do. The inheriting son just doesn't want to farm. The old man can't do it anymore. They get an offer they can't refuse, and the corporate farm grows bigger and hires more lobbyists to send to D.C

It's a sad phenomenon, but to blame it simply on rainfall and trade wars is awfully narrow-minded.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.agriculture.com/news/cro...sharply-behind

U.S. CORN PLANTING PACE PICKS UP, REMAINS SHARPLY BEHIND

DES MOINES, Iowa — U.S. corn farmers remain over halfway behind five-year average planting pace, and behind the trade’s expectations.

In its Crop Progress Report Monday, the USDA pegged U.S. corn planting at 30% complete, behind the 66% five-year average.

The trade expected a completion rating of 35%.

CORN
    As of Sunday, Iowa farmers had 48% of that state’s corn crop planted vs. a 76% five-year average. Illinois farmers have 11% of their corn seeded, behind a 82% five-year average. Nebraska farmers have just 46% of their corn planted vs. a 72% five-year average.

Also, 10% of the U.S. corn has emerged vs. a 29% five-year average.

SOYBEANS
    In its report, the USDA pegged the U.S. soybean planting completion rate at 9% vs. a 29% five-year average.
    Iowa has 13% of its soybean crop in the ground, while Illinois has 3% of its crop seeded vs. a 34% five-year average. Nebraska soybean growers have 20% of their crop in the ground vs. a 32% five-year average.
    One of the problems with crop prices has been record high yields meaning a huge supply to try and sell- depressing prices. A lower crop this year will probably mean better prices for those who are able to get their crops in the ground.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-19-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Almost half the corn crop is used for ethanol, which is mandated to be mixed in with gasoline in almost all states. Most consumers would prefer pure petroleum without the corn ethanol resulting in better gas mileage.

This is not a food issue, and certainly not a "free market" problem. We produce way too much corn to begin with due to government planning and mandates.
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

Quote Originally Posted by Created4 View Post

Almost half the corn crop is used for ethanol, which is mandated to be mixed in with gasoline in almost all states. Most consumers would prefer pure petroleum without the corn ethanol resulting in better gas mileage.

This is not a food issue, and certainly not a "free market" problem. We produce way too much corn to begin with due to government planning and mandates.
    And the oil companies will use this as an excuse to hike prices.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I don't think it's just modern politics. This has been going on since FDR. Farmers have been denied the autonomy to stand on their own feet because they take the "blood money" from government and then government tells them what to plant, how much to plant, etc.

The few proud family farms that won't take subsidies get gobbled up by corporate farms that do. The inheriting son just doesn't want to farm. The old man can't do it anymore. They get an offer they can't refuse, and the corporate farm grows bigger and hires more lobbyists to send to D.C

It's a sad phenomenon, but to blame it simply on rainfall and trade wars is awfully narrow-minded.

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    And the oil companies will use this as an excuse to hike prices.
    They're already doing that anyway, just based on the "threat" of Iran.