Thread: Microsoft reports ‘critical’ flaw in Windows 7 and older

Microsoft reports ‘critical’ flaw in Windows 7 and older

A critical flaw has been discovered in Windows 7 and older versions, Microsoft warned on Tuesday, urging customers to install a patch as soon as possible to avoid an incident similar to the WannaCry ransomware attack, which infected computers around the world.
    The vulnerability in Remote Desktop Services is pre-authentication and requires no user interaction, which means that any malware using this flaw could propagate from computer to computer like the WannaCry ransomware attack in 2017.
    “It is important that affected systems are patched as quickly as possible to prevent such a scenario from happening,” said Simon Pope, director of incident response at Microsoft. “In response, we are taking the unusual step of providing a security update for all customers to protect Windows platforms, including some out-of-support versions of Windows.”
    The flaw, which Microsoft described as “critical,” enables an attacker to execute arbitrary code on the target system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.
    If you have Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2008, go to the Microsoft website (click here) or use Windows Update. If you have Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, click here to download the patch from the Microsoft website.
    There is currently no indication that the flaw is already being exploited, but Microsoft said it is “highly likely” that malicious actors will soon write an exploit to incorporate it into malware. Systems running Windows 8 and Windows 10 are not affected.

More at: https://bnonews.com/index.php/2019/0...s-7-and-older/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Microsoft reports ‘critical’ flaw in Windows 7
    That made me laugh.

seriously laugh.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    That made me laugh.

seriously laugh.
    Were you expecting 'glitch'?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Were you expecting 'glitch'?
    Those are Features.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Since they just install whatever they like in updates without explaining what it is why did they even expose there was an issue? Now hackers are working overtime to exploit it before folks can get the update. More dumb MS stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Since they just install whatever they like in updates without explaining what it is why did they even expose there was an issue? Now hackers are working overtime to exploit it before folks can get the update. More dumb MS stuff.
    Because not enough people are buying Win10 to suit them. So, Bill Gates decided it was time to make people scared not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Because not enough people are buying Win10 to suit them. So, Bill Gates decided it was time to make people scared not to.
    That actually makes sense. It would be their MO based on history.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    And that extortion and vulnerability is exactly why I went to Linux.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, pop into "Services" and disable Remote Desktop. That was fookin' hard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    So, pop into "Services" and disable Remote Desktop. That was fookin' hard...
    This was always the FIRST thing I did with a new MS computer.