Thread: Senators demand answers from Trump administration on Iran threat

Senators demand answers from Trump administration on Iran threat

Seeking details on the information which led Trump to send more military to the region and to evacuate embassy staff.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...hreat-n1005951

WASHINGTON — Senators from both sides of the aisle demanded Wednesday that the Trump administration explain why it had evacuated U.S. diplomatic missions in Iraq and brief lawmakers on the alleged threats from Iran that prompted the move.

Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, called on the administration "to immediately provide this committee with a briefing on the decision to order the departure of embassy staff, the intelligence on what Iran may be planning to do and any plans to go to war with Iran."

Speaking at a committee hearing, Menendez said there were only two reasons to evacuate the U.S. missions in Iraq: Americans working at the missions are at risk, or it is "in preparation for military action in Iran."

The senator said it was the committee's duty to help write laws to authorize the use of military force and to oversee the State Department and the safety of its employees.

"And yet the Trump administration has not provided any information to this committee on the intelligence behind their decisions and what they plan to do in Iraq or Iran," he said.

Menendez added that Congress has not authorized war with Iran and if the Trump administration was "contemplating military action with Iran, it must come to Congress to seek approval."

At the same hearing, Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, said he agreed with Menendez "about the need for a classified briefing on the matters in Iraq" and that "I hope that either the entire committee or perhaps the chair and the ranking member would be able to have that kind of briefing"

The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Sen. Jim Risch, R-Idaho, said a full briefing for the entire Senate was "in the works."

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., an outspoken advocate for tough action toward Iran and a frequent defender of President Donald Trump, also said the State Department and the Defense Department needed to brief lawmakers about why it had chosen to evacuate the U.S. missions in Iraq.

"I would urge the State Department and DoD to come down here and explain to us what's going on," Graham told reporters. "Because I have no idea what the threat stream is beyond what I read in the paper."

He added: "I think there are a lot of people in my shoes that are going to support standing up to Iran, but we need to understand what we're doing."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Mike Pompeo basically said they are going to use the 2003 AUMF to go to war with Iran and when Rand said that doesn't apply he said that for the lawyers to decide
    Laws and rules are merely suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Laws and rules are merely suggestions.
    Applies to both sides of the establishment cabal.

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Applies to both sides of the establishment cabal.
    The only way to beat the hydra is to burn it after you cut off the head. Lets investigate the investigaters.

The only way to beat the hydra is to burn it after you cut off the head. Lets investigate the investigaters.
    I thought if you cut off its head, seven more grow back.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    I thought if you cut off its head, seven more grow back.
    To defeat the Hydra, Hercules called on his nephew Iolaus for help. As soon as Hercules cut off one head, Iolaus would cauterise the wound with a flaming torch so that nothing could grow to replace it.

To defeat the Hydra, Hercules called on his nephew Iolaus for help. As soon as Hercules cut off one head, Iolaus would cauterise the wound with a flaming torch so that nothing could grow to replace it.
    Kewl.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Who is trying to play tough guy now?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-15-2019 at 02:46 PM.