Thread: Journalist Detained by Feds for SIX HOURS After Refusing to Hand Over Source

Journalist Detained by Feds for SIX HOURS After Refusing to Hand Over Source

A freelance reporter from San Francisco said he was detained by law enforcement for six hours after his home was raided and he refused to hand over the name of the source for a recently-published story.
    “Bryan Carmody, a freelance reporter in San Francisco, awoke Friday to the sounds of someone trying to break into his house,” according to a Washington Post report.
    He allowed 10 San Francisco Police Department officers into his home, who searched through all of his property. Two Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) officials were also present. The gaggle of law enforcement officers, whom Carmody said treated him “like I was some kind of drug dealer” demanded that he turn over a source from a recently-published story which included a confidential report about the death of a local public defender.
    He declined to offer up his source, as he had done two weeks earlier when police dropped by to question him. The reporter said he was handcuffed and taken into police custody for six hours – a fact verified by a certificate of release from the police department.

“I’m smart enough not to talk to federal agents, ever,’ Carmody told The Post. “I just kept saying ‘lawyer, lawyer, lawyer.'”
    A First Amendment attorney who spoke with The Post said the proper course of action would have been to subpoena the reporter, not raid his house and detain him.
    “Carmody says his ability to work is now crippled by the seizure of his electronics,” according to the report. “A search warrant and affidavit he distributed noted that police took at least at least four tablets, seven computers, 10 hard drives, a dozen phones, two cameras, reporters’ notebooks and a thumb drive from his home.”

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/journa...d-over-source/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    A freelance reporter from San Francisco said he was detained by law enforcement for six hours after his home was raided and he refused to hand over the name of the source for a recently-published story.
    “Bryan Carmody, a freelance reporter in San Francisco, awoke Friday to the sounds of someone trying to break into his house,” according to a Washington Post report.
    He allowed 10 San Francisco Police Department officers into his home, who searched through all of his property. Two Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) officials were also present. The gaggle of law enforcement officers, whom Carmody said treated him “like I was some kind of drug dealer” demanded that he turn over a source from a recently-published story which included a confidential report about the death of a local public defender.
    He declined to offer up his source, as he had done two weeks earlier when police dropped by to question him. The reporter said he was handcuffed and taken into police custody for six hours – a fact verified by a certificate of release from the police department.

“I’m smart enough not to talk to federal agents, ever,’ Carmody told The Post. “I just kept saying ‘lawyer, lawyer, lawyer.'”
    A First Amendment attorney who spoke with The Post said the proper course of action would have been to subpoena the reporter, not raid his house and detain him.
    “Carmody says his ability to work is now crippled by the seizure of his electronics,” according to the report. “A search warrant and affidavit he distributed noted that police took at least at least four tablets, seven computers, 10 hard drives, a dozen phones, two cameras, reporters’ notebooks and a thumb drive from his home.”

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/journa...d-over-source/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAD-Magazine-Alfred-E-Neuman-Norman-Mingo-2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	6441
    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Breaking into people's homes is a good way to get shot.