Thread: Catholic/Orthodox discussion thread

Catholic/Orthodox discussion thread

I'm gonna start this thread by replying to what TER said on the other thread, but I consider this thread fair game for discussion on Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and the various differences between them.

I confess I have not studied RC ecclesiology at depth and most of what I have read have come from Orthodox authors. I do understand that Papal Infallability is in regards to the pope speaking ex cathedra. I don’t exactly know how that works. It seems like a legalistic safety clause which I find in other RC practices.
    I'm willing to grant that I struggle with this doctrine. Had I lived before 1870, I certainly would have sympathized with the conciliarists who did not believe in papal infallibility. I accept it because I believe the Bishop of Rome is the principle of unity in the Christian Church, and thus I do believe that a valid ecunemical council ruled in favor of this doctrine. I guess I don't see it so much as a "safety clause" so much as I see it a kind of spiritual version of the referee or umpire. His word is the final word in specific circumstances, but that doesn't mean he's a perfect person or that everything he says is perfect. There are problems with this analogy, but I think you can see where I'm going with it. The Magisterium exists to clarify tradition, not to overturn it and certainly not to make every off the cuff opinion of the Pope infallible.
    For example, when it comes to the Holy Sacrament of Marriage, the Orthodox do allow for divorce. It is seen as a sad consequence of the fall, of broken people who tragically can no longer live together after all efforts have been exhausted to save the marriage. Out of mercy and compassion, the Church allows for divorce. Again, the Church is a spiritual hospital whose goal is to provide assistance for the salvation of souls. It acknowledges the weakness of men and prays to God for mercy on their behalf. The Catholic Church does not allow for divorce. It maintains that the bond is irrevocably created and thus divorce is forbidden. So how do they go around the reality of married people falling out and requiring separation in order to further prevent damage to their eternal souls? They create an annulment, in other words, a legal excuse, or safety clause, to say that the marriage never occurred in the first place. Why make up such stories? Instead, accept that men are weak, that we fail in living up to standards we should live up to, and pray to the ever-loving and compassionate God for mercy.
    Annulments were much more rare before Vatican II. I don't have a problem with the concept in and of itself. Certain marriages just are not possible. To give an extreme example, consider for instance a man who "married" a woman that he later learned was his sister. Or perhaps a woman who already had a spouse, but lied to him. Say a man lied and claimed to be a layman, but in actuality he was already an ordained priest, bound to celibacy. Or consider perhaps the case of an Islamic child bride who is too young to really consent to marriage in the first place. These are among the conceivable situations where we could imagine an annulment being sensible.

I agree that, especially post Vatican II, often annulments have basically become a cover for divorce, but that's not the way its supposed to work.
    While I do admit that certain polemic arguments made by the Orthodox against RC can be exaggerated (myself being such an offender), it is not however without good reason. For history demontrates times when the RC has taken liberty to make illicit changes in doctrine, the most notable being the Filioque (the very Symbol of Faith - the Creed, was unilaterally and uncanoncially (read: illegally) changed!). I assure you, theologically speaking, this has major implications into the Monarchial understanding of the God-head as well as the understanding of grace and the workings and Person of the Holy Spirit.
    I'm trying to gain a better understanding of the Trinity, and where the Catholic and EO views differ on it, still. I don't see how any of this is a justification for strawmen

The other changes, such as papal infallibility, the immaculate conception, the understandings of original sin, the juridical overemphasis of penal substitutionary theory, were all developed through time and mostly apart from the Eastern Church. These doctrinal changes and developments, which in some cases are novel and in certain cases completely without patristic support, have led to the widened rift.
    I don't understand how its reasonable to affirm Mary as the New Eve and yet deny the immaculate conception. Keep in mind that Catholics do not accept original sin *the way the Reformed do*. We do believe that because of original sin, infants are born in need of salvation, but we don't hold, like many Protestants do, the notion of imputed guilt. Sometimes the Orthodox confuse Rome for Protestantism here.

Considering that understanding, given that the 1st Adam and the 1st Eve both came into the world without sin, and given that Jesus the 2nd Adam comes into the world without sin, it doesn't seem fitting or sensible that Mary would've come into the world with sin, even if she never chose to sin. If I recall correctly, Fr. Damick (EO priest, for anyone who doesn't know) says that the Orthodox hold that Mary was sinless from the time of the annunciation, or something like that. But that seems inconsistent with the New Eve parallelism that's held to by Ireaneus and Justin Martyr.
    Note, I am not saying that these RC doctrines are heretical or wrong (though I would say it, but again in the end, God knows better than me).
    On what basis does EO distinguish that which is heretical from that which isn't? Leaving aside the fact that we both accept that judgment of persons is ultimately up to God, I'm wondering how these doctrines could be heretical when they aren't condemned in any of the ecunemical councils. Unless EO has an equivalent to the ordinary magisterium?

Rather, they have developed apart from the EO Church which is more keen to hold onto the apostolic faith and teachings which have been handed down from the early Church Fathers (who were mostly from the East and were Greek speaking). It was in fact in the East where every early Ecumenical Council was held in order to defend the orthodox, catholic teachings from the many encroaching heresies which popped up (note, not one of the eight Holy Ecumenical Council was held in Rome or presided over by the Roman Pope) and it was in the East where the greatest number of defenders of the Christian Faith and theologians lived and taught in those formative first centuries. The distancing between the Latin speaking and Greek speaking halves of the Church had real and lasting effects. One can only wonder what the Church would look like now had St. Augustine read more of the earlier Church Fathers! Nevertheless, he is regarded as a great Saint in both Churches as he should be. After all, what the RC and EO share is great compared to what separates them. But these differences are meaningful, and for that reason I urge you to take your time in your catechism and do not rush. In the early Church, the catechism would last three years. Now, most catechumens wait one year. I don’t know what your plans are, but there is no reason to rush, and I say this regardless if you were to join the RC or the EO. In the end, it is God Who will lead you if you allow Him to. But that means we have to be patient and allow Him to lead. God is not our co-pilot. He is our pilot! We, as servant, simply need to listen, be humbly obedient, and first of all, be patient!

I wish you a blessed Sunday and hope to speak again soon!
    I hope to speak with you again soon as well!

This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thank you for starting this thread! I hope to learn from it as I admittedly have much to learn, especially in regards to Catholic ecclesiology.

There are several important points you bring up above, but to dig beneath the surface, I would like to start with one topic at a time (whole books can and have been written on each topic alone!)

I think it would be good to start with the common origin for both Churches before we delve deeper into more recent doctrines put forward by the RC post-schism. Those are of course extremely important, but it would be good to start from the foundation whereby the unified Church rests upon so as to discern where each Church stands at this time and the tradition they draw from.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    I'm willing to grant that I struggle with this doctrine. Had I lived before 1870, I certainly would have sympathized with the conciliarists who did not believe in papal infallibility. I accept it because I believe the Bishop of Rome is the principle of unity in the Christian Church, and thus I do believe that a valid ecunemical council ruled in favor of this doctrine. I guess I don't see it so much as a "safety clause" so much as I see it a kind of spiritual version of the referee or umpire. His word is the final word in specific circumstances, but that doesn't mean he's a perfect person or that everything he says is perfect. There are problems with this analogy, but I think you can see where I'm going with it. The Magisterium exists to clarify tradition, not to overturn it and certainly not to make every off the cuff opinion of the Pope infallible.
    Papal infallability (as a professed dogma of the RC) was defined in the “First Ecumenical Council of the Vatican” in 1869, which was 800 years after the Great Schism. Thus while it calls itself “ecumenical”, it applies only to the post-schism RC.

Before we dig deeper on papal infallabilty (which I confess I know only a small about), I would like to touch on something your wrote above which I bolded.

Which Ecumenical Council in the first millennia (and by that, I mean, the pre-schism Ecumenical Councils), was it stated that the Bishop of Rome is the principle of unity in the Christian Church?

From my understanding of the Holy Ecumencial Councils, it is the Holy Spirit Who is the principle of unity in the Christian Church and I cannot recall any canon which places Rome as such. I would be interested to learn which Council you may be referring to.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Thank you for starting this thread! I hope to learn from it as I admittedly have much to learn, especially in regards to Catholic ecclesiology.

There are several important points you bring up above, but to dig beneath the surface, I would like to start with one topic at a time (whole books can and have been written on each topic alone!)

I think it would be good to start with the common origin for both Churches before we delve deeper into more recent doctrines put forward by the RC post-schism. Those are of course extremely important, but it would be good to start from the foundation whereby the unified Church rests upon so as to discern where each Church stands at this time and the tradition they draw from.

Papal infallability (as a professed dogma of the RC) was defined in the “First Ecumenical Council of the Vatican” in 1869, which was 800 years after the Great Schism. Thus while it calls itself “ecumenical”, it applies only to the post-schism RC.

Before we dig deeper on papal infallabilty (which I confess I know only a small about), I would like to touch on something your wrote above which I bolded.

Which Ecumenical Council in the first millennia (and by that, I mean, the pre-schism Ecumenical Councils), was it stated that the Bishop of Rome is the principle of unity in the Christian Church?

From my understanding of the Holy Ecumencial Councils, it is the Holy Spirit Who is the principle of unity in the Christian Church and I cannot recall any canon which places Rome as such. I would be interested to learn which Council you may be referring to.
    Good question. I was kind of paraphrasing the statements of certain church fathers (particularly, Ireaneus, Cyprian, and Jerome), not a particular ecunemical council. I could fairly easily dig up the citations from which I'm building up to that idea, and explain why, but I'm not sure if that's the direction you want to go in or not. I'd also point to the whole Quartodeciman controversy, and how Ireaneus deals with it, as well as 1 Clement as supporting evidence.

And of course there's also Matthew 16.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    Good question. I was kind of paraphrasing the statements of certain church fathers (particularly, Ireaneus, Cyprian, and Jerome), not a particular ecunemical council. I could fairly easily dig up the citations from which I'm building up to that idea, and explain why, but I'm not sure if that's the direction you want to go in or not. I'd also point to the whole Quartodeciman controversy, and how Ireaneus deals with it, as well as 1 Clement as supporting evidence.

And of course there's also Matthew 16.
    Before we get into Matthew 16 (which we most definitely need to discuss), I would like to unpack alittle more the role of the Bishop of Rome and the Ecumenical Councils, that is, how he was understood and his place within them.

The Church Fathers are quintessential is understanding the ‘faith handed down once upon the saints’, however, the greater authority above them are the Holy Ecumencial Councils. This is the Orthodox teaching (as well as the Roman Catholic teaching). Thus while we can find certain writings of Church Fathers extolling how important the Roman See is within the unity of the Church, (it was considered first in honor), I am not aware of any specific writing of the Apostolic writers which describe the Roman Bishop as being the ‘principle of unity’, let alone the supreme leader over the Church. Indeed, I am fairly confident you will find no such proclamation.

With regards to the Holy Ecumencial Councils which dogmatically define the doctrines and canons of the Church, you will find no such proclamation either. Indeed, it was unheard of, even by the western church leaders, that Rome had authority over the entire Church. This is a completely foreign idea in the Holy Ecumenical Councils. Not one Pope (nor his delegation) presided over a Holy Ecumencial Council. In fact, decisions were made in the absence of the bishop of Rome or even in spite of his outright opposition. Even in cases where his suggestions were accepted, they were first examined by the Synod, compared to the ecclesiastical tradition and only when synodal agreement was secured would they be accepted.

The fifth Ecumenical Synod has particular significance for the question of the role of Pope of Rome within the communion of the Church when it condemned Pope Vigilius after his unjustified refusal to meet in council with the other Patriarchs. For the ancient Church in both the East and the West, the pope was subject to synodal judgment and authority in not only matters of faith but also in those regarding the canonical order of the Church.

In this same Council (the Fifth Ecumencial Council), the position of the ancient Church has been recorded in an official and categorical manner in the “synodal decree”, the “Horos” of the that Council:

“During the common deliberations, the light of truth dissipates the darkness of falsehood, once teachings of the things suggested for discussion are placed under judgment. Because in matters of faith, no one has the right to go forward on behalf of the entire Church since all of us have need of our neighbor”.

Therefore, it is by synod whereby matter of faith are proclaimed, through the Holy Spirit, whereby the truth is revealed. At no point anytime pre-schism, was it believed, either by the East or the West, that the Roman Bishop had the privileges which it would later self-assume centuries later, namely Papal Supremacy or Papal Infallability.

These are some extremely important points to consider.
    Last edited by TER; 05-13-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    +

Hey CL, Came across this source (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter...apal_supremacy) for the information below which list some more arguments from the tradition of the Holy Ecumenical Councils which counter the Roman claim for supremacy:

Major points:

• Not one Ecumenical Council was called by a pope; all were called by Byzantine emperors. Had the teaching of primacy formed part of Holy Tradition, then such power would have been exercised to resolve the many disputes in the early history of the church.
    • A general council may overrule decisions of the Roman Pontiff
    • Decisions taken by popes in cases involving against bishops have often been confirmed by ecumenical councils. This indicates that the papal decision itself is not considered binding.

First Ecumenical Council

Arius and his teachings were condemned by a synod of bishops which the pope summoned in 320. Alexander of Alexandria summoned a local synod in Alexandria in 321 which also condemned Arianism. Five years after the pope had condemned Arianism, Emperor Constantine I called an ecumenical council to settle the matter. Whelton argues that the pope's decision was not considered an end to the matter because a council in Africa met to examine the issue for itself. Constantine then ordered a larger council to decide on the matter.

The Fourth Canon of this council confirmed that bishops were to be appointed only locally. This is in contrast with Catholic canon law that allows the pope (should he wish) to interfere in the appointment of church officers at any level.

Second Ecumenical Council

The Second Ecumenical Council was presided over by Meletius of Antioch, who was not in communion with Rome.

Third Ecumenical Council

The Third Ecumenical Council called Nestorius to account for his teachings following his condemnation as a heretic by Pope Celestine I. The council did not consider the papal condemnation as definitive. Catholic theologian Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet noted:

It was fixed that all was in suspense once the authority of the universal Synod was invoked even though the sentence of the Roman Pontiff about doctrine and about persons accused of heresy had been uttered and promulgated.

Bishop Maret said:

The Pope had pronounced in the affair of Nestorius a canonical judgment clothed with all the authority of his see. He had prescribed its execution. Yet, three months after this sentence and before its execution, all the episcopate is invited to examine afresh and to decide freely the question in dispute.

St Vincent of Lerins

And that blessed council holding their doctrine, following their counsel, believing their witness, submitting to their judgment without haste, without foregone conclusion, without partiality, gave their determination concerning the Rules of Faith.

In its condemnation of Nestorius, the language given is of the council ruling, not because the pope said so. Cyril writes that he, and his fellow bishop - the pope - had both condemned Nestorius.

Fourth Ecumenical Council

The Fourth Ecumenical Council was called against the expressed wishes of the pope.

Fifth Ecumenical Council

A controversy arose out of the writings known as Three Chapters – written by bishops Theodore, Theodoret, and Ibas. Pope Vigilius opposed the condemnation of the Three Chapters. At the Fifth Ecumenical Council (553) the assembled bishops condemned and anathematized Three Chapters. After the council threatened to excommunicate him and remove him from office, Vigilius changed his mind – blaming the devil for misleading him. Bossuet wrote

These things prove, that in a matter of the utmost importance, disturbing the whole Church, and seeming to belong to the Faith, the decress of sacred council prevail over the decrees of Pontiffs, and the letter of Ibas, though defended by a judgment of the Roman Pontiff could nevertheless be proscribed as heretical.

German theologian Karl Josef von Hefele notes that the council was called "without the assent of the Pope".

Sixth Ecumenical Council

At the Sixth Ecumenical Council, both Pope Honorius and Patriarch Sergius I of Constantinople were declared heretics.

The holy council said: After we had reconsidered, according to our promise which we had made to your highness, the doctrinal letters of Sergius, at one time patriarch of this royal god-protected city to Cyrus, who was then bishop of Phasis and to Honorius some time Pope of Old Rome, as well as the letter of the latter to the same Sergius, we find that these documents are quite foreign to the apostolic dogmas, to the declarations of the holy Councils, and to all the accepted Fathers, and that they follow the false teachings of the heretics; therefore we entirely reject them, and execrate them as hurtful to the soul

The council anathematized them, declared them tools of the devil, and cast them out of the church.

The popes (from Pope Leo II) themselves adhered to the Council's ruling and added Honorius to their list of heretics, before quietly dropping his name in the eleventh century. The Catholic Encyclopedia states:

... also in the oath taken by every new pope from the eighth century to the eleventh in the following words: "Together with Honorius, who added fuel to their wicked assertions" (Liber diurnus, ii, 9).[112]

So too the Seventh Ecumenical Council declared its adhesion to the anathema in its decree of faith. Thus an Ecumenical Council could rule on the faith of a pope and expel him from the church.

The Council of Trullo

The Council in Trullo considered by Orthodox as a continuation of the sixth.

At this council it was confirmed (in Canon 39) that the local church could regulate itself; to have its own special laws and regulations.
    +