Thread: Charges Dropped Against Florida Man; First Amendment Protects His "I Eat Ass" Bumper Sticker

Charges Dropped Against Florida Man; First Amendment Protects His "I Eat Ass" Bumper Sticker

Certified Florida Man Shane Dillon's choice of bumper sticker has produced a unique victory in the fight for free speech.

The 23-year-old Lake City resident was driving along U.S. Highway 90 last Sunday when a deputy from the Columbia County Sheriff's Office noticed his "I eat ass" bumper sticker. The sticker, the deputy concluded, violated the state's obscenity law. After Dillon refused to remove part of the sticker to censor the word "ass," citing his First Amendment right to free speech, the deputy arrested him and charged him with "obscene writing on vehicles and resisting an officer without violence."

On Thursday, the State Attorney's Office said that it would not prosecute Dillon for either charge. Any prosecution, the office determined, could be met with a valid First Amendment defense.
    https://reason.com/2019/05/10/charge...umper-sticker/
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Free Speech is under attack in America sad times.

Hopefully it doesn't end here or the police will continue to use this law to bully citizens into compliance of this obscenity law. Hopefully he sues them for a few million.

Here is the dashcam footage of the incident.

The cop's actions and attitude is quite disturbing.

Qualified immunity usually always protects these people, but the cop's personal agenda was evident from the very beginning. He tried very hard to escalate the encounter, including impounding the guy's truck.

I would actually try to mess with the cop by testing his QI in court and go after him and his buddy on the phone. I'm pretty sure that the city is going to pay out.

https://www.blacklistednews.com/arti...ss-window.html
    Last edited by sparebulb; 05-12-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Is florida as crazy as it sounds?
    Stick to the panhandle. (minus Tallahassee)
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Such a principled defender of the 1st Amendment. His mother must be proud. What signage does his sister have on the back of her truck?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Such a principled defender of the 1st Amendment. His mother must be proud. What signage does his sister have on the back of her truck?
    Are you looking to add new entries to the censorship filter?

The Trumpkin Nation is good to go now in Florida.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Well at least hes honest about what he likes to do in terms of sex.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I just hope he didn't tell the other inmates why he was arrested.
    winner

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Michael Fleming, the journalist that sat down and spoke with Tarantino for Playboy in 2003, visited the auteur in his home in the Hollywood Hills for a follow up interview in November 2012. He describes pulling up into the driveway and seeing the bright yellow Chevy Silverado SS parked beneath a drive-in theater prop from Grindhouse. After remarking that it probably wouldn’t be the most discreet vehicle around, Tarantino just shrugs off his concern, describing how when he’s drives around Malibu, people are always remarking on the director and the car.

Officer: "If a 10 year old girl reads that on your truck and asks her mom what it means, what is she supposed to say?"

Me: "He must like to bbq donkies"

But ya, this is one of those classic South Park situations.

One side is right for the wrong reasons and the other side is wrong for the right reasons.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Officer: "If a 10 year old girl reads that on your truck and asks her mom what it means, what is she supposed to say?"

Me: "He must like to bbq donkies"

But ya, this is one of those classic South Park situations.

One side is right for the wrong reasons and the other side is wrong for the right reasons.
    My first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    The cop asked him if he had any hand grenades in his vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The cop asked him if he had any hand grenades in his vehicle.
    I had a cop pull me and my buddy over, he had just gotten back from Afghanistan, first car he drove that wasn't a heavy military truck in a long time, so he was driving a bit fast- before that he was in Iraq. The cop proceeded to ask us if we had any nuclear bombs or weapons of mass destruction. He went on to say that he went to Iraq and Afghanistan to protect our country from weapons of mass destruction but there were none. Needless to say the guy let him off on the ticket.