Thread: Trump Nominates Embodiment of the Military-Industrial Complex to Lead Pentagon

Lightbulb Trump Nominates Embodiment of the Military-Industrial Complex to Lead Pentagon

Trump Nominates 'Embodiment of the Military-Industrial Complex' Patrick Shanahan to Lead Pentagon

Shanahan worked at Boeing, one of the world's largest defense contractors, for more than 30 years before joining the Trump administration

In a move critics warned could further deepen the ties between the sprawling and immensely profitable private weapons industry and the U.S. government, the White House announced Thursday that President Donald Trump will nominate former Boeing executive Patrick Shanahan to head the Pentagon.

Shanahan has been serving as acting secretary of defense since the departure of former Pentagon chief Jim Mattis in January.

"When Patrick Shanahan was selected by Trump for a Pentagon post," The Nation's John Nichols tweeted Thursday in response to Shanahan's nomination, "the Seattle Times wrote: 'Shanahan, 54, has no military or political experience. He is, however, familiar with defense procurement from the business side.' Very, very familiar."

In a column last year, Nichols described Shanahan—who worked at Boeing for 31 years before becoming Trump's deputy defense secretary—as "the embodiment of the military-industrial complex."

"His main claim to fame in the deputy post was his ardent advocacy for Trump's 'space force' scheme," Nichols wrote. "So what experience does Shanahan have? He is, literally and figuratively, the embodiment of the military-industrial complex about which former President Dwight Eisenhower warned Americans at the close of his presidency in 1961."

As NBC reported, Trump's decision to nominate Shanahan—who must be confirmed by the Senate—comes "just weeks after the Pentagon's internal watchdog cleared the longtime former Boeing executive of allegations he provided his old employer... with preferential treatment. Shanahan was accused of pushing Boeing fighter jets on the Air Force and Marines."

The National Priorities Project (NPP) highlighted Shanahan's potential conflicts of interest in a series of tweets following news of his nomination.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...-shanahan-lead

Last edited by RonZeplin; 05-11-2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: I like Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We are $#@!ed. Trump thinks war is a good business because it happens elsewhere. Small price to pay for peace at home.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

How to conquer MIC:

1. Give them a contract for gazillion dollars they won't be able to deliver on.*
    2. Sue their asses out of existence. Dirty play allowed.

* Any of the already existing contracts can be used.

More swamp draining?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How to conquer MIC:

1. Give them a contract for gazillion dollars they won't be able to deliver on.*
    2. Sue their asses out of existence. Dirty play allowed.

* Any of the already existing contracts can be used.
    You do know private companies don't have to accept govt contracts. If its not going to make em money, they won't take it.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You do know private companies don't have to accept govt contracts. If its not going to make em money, they won't take it.
    You assume they have to deliver on these "contracts".

That's a bit of a pain.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But this is more fun because Ron did it.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    This is not directed at you Jules but it relates to the misconception you have about how it really works with the contracts you mention...

If you are in the business of war and the MIC is your best global tool for control you will do anything it takes to maintain a state of war including ill advise the President of the United States of America. It's bigger than Trump, our own government, and bigger than most of the world. This is in fact my pet peeve, even Obama fell for it when the puppet masters pulled the strings. What we see now is the result of those who pull all the strings around the world. It's all about money and they have no conscience. Trump recently put a check on their income and they are manipulating us right back into it again as they have always done. "Too big to fail" is the very game the globalists and MIC play with us and they do not care now many die. The CIA and MIC and the global families who own them are too powerful to $#@! with. They will bribe you with an amount hard to turn down. kill you, kill your kids or grand kids and not yet born great Grandkids, or extort you to get what they want. They will deceptively start wars just to start wars using false flags and Hegelian dialect at will. If you think anyone in our congress or even our president is powerful enough to control this very real fact ask John F Kennedy how that turns out. He tried to change it, he tried to end the MIC and tried to shut down an even more powerful global institution, the Federal Reserve. Done deal... Gone dude... next...

I first realized how this all works when I was an ignorant adventurous kid in the Jungles of Panama and Nicaragua on a peace mission with a rifle in my hands. Anyone who has actually been in the $#@! starts to question why they actually need to be in the $#@!.

Thumbs up Get in step with a guy that's hep, Get in step with Ike (& Ron)

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    But this is more fun because Ron did it.
    we need to promote whistle-blowers like Ike Eisenhower and Ron Paul, not MIC stooges like Donald Trump..

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    we need to promote whistle-blowers like Ike Eisenhower and Ron Paul, not MIC stooges like Donald Trump..

At some point I hope you might realize it is bigger and more powerful than not just Donald Trump, But any and every member of our government and every president to come.

So who should he pick? I liked the idea of a studied experienced general in James Mattis, that knows war is a racket, but he failed, and resigned because he wanted to stay in Syria indefinitely. You really don't know much about Shanahan other than Boeing=bad. If he is a big trump supporter then Shanahan should agree to get out of Syria pronto.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

No big surprise.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    ... If he is a big trump supporter then Shanahan should agree to get out of Syria pronto.
    Agree with whom, final-decider commander-in-chief OR his pro Iran war neocon top donor Adelson?

May 2019 - Still In Syria, Still In Iraq, Still In Afghanistan and US warships heading towards Iran

Venez regime change pending successful execution.. but not for lack of trying

Trump Muddles His Syria Policy Anew With Vow to Exit ‘Very Soon’
    Daniel Flatley
    April 3, 2018

• Departing would bolster Iran, high on his enemies list
    • ‘They haven’t come up with a coherent policy,’ ex-envoy says

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Agree with whom, final-decider commander-in-chief OR his pro Iran war neocon top donor Adelson?

May 2019 - Still In Syria, Still In Iraq, Still In Afghanistan and US warships heading towards Iran

Venez regime change pending successful execution.. but not for lack of trying

Trump Muddles His Syria Policy Anew With Vow to Exit ‘Very Soon’
    Daniel Flatley
    April 3, 2018

• Departing would bolster Iran, high on his enemies list
    • ‘They haven’t come up with a coherent policy,’ ex-envoy says
    Israel always wanted a war with Iran at the expanse of American lives. Both parties suck.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    More swamp draining?
    The main thing is to remember that he really is, secretly, Ron Paul on steroids...

...nevermind the senseless militarism and historically large spending and deficits.

...it's all the same; what do words mean anyway?