Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U.S. Consumers Will Pay 40% To 85% More For Fresh Tomatoes By End Of 2019

Dutch tomatoes then ?

Mexico: US$2.3 billion (24.5% of total tomatoes exports)
    Netherlands: $1.9 billion (20.8%)
    Spain: $1.1 billion (11.9%)
    Morocco: $686.8 million (7.4%)
    Canada: $411.7 million (4.5%)
    France: $369.8 million (4%)
    United States: $325 million (3.5%)
    Turkey: $289.9 million (3.1%)
    Belgium: $284.1 million (3.1%)
    China: $207.3 million (2.2%)
    Azerbaijan: $177.1 million (1.9%)
    Jordan: $168.3 million (1.8%)
    Italy: $160.3 million (1.7%)
    Poland: $79.2 million (0.9%)
    Portugal: $63.8 million (0.7%)
    "I am a bird"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Jules, in my generation if you are not being sarcastic and hard assing someone then they wouldn't know you actually liked them. Especially if you have ever been in the service, it is a mandatory show of love and brotherhood in the military.
    Gomer Pyle would not agree.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Not to mention wildlife causing problems. Had a nice watermelon patch one time, but then, Deer.
    With me it was puppies, they dug up all the onions too but they stopped when they hit the garlic.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump will solve the problem with the tomato supply. This should help lower prices.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...xican-tomatoes

Food Fight: Trump Administration Levels Tariffs On Mexican Tomatoes

While the trade war with China is rattling financial markets around the world, another trade skirmish is about to play out in the supermarket — in particular, the produce aisle. The Trump administration is preparing to level a new tariff — or tax — on fresh tomatoes imported from Mexico.

The move comes in response to a growing outcry from Florida tomato growers, who have a lot of political leverage.

Florida used to dominate the American market for tomatoes sold in the winter and spring, but over the past two decades the state's growers have been losing ground to Mexico. If you pick up a ripe, red tomato in the grocery store this time of year, the chances are good it was grown south of the border.

"Depending on where you are in the country, especially at the retail level, you're going to see mostly Mexican tomatoes at this time of year," said Michael Schadler, executive vice president of the Florida Tomato Exchange, a growers trade group. Mexico now grows more than half the fresh tomatoes sold in the United States. Imports from Mexico have more than doubled since 2002.
    But Mexican growers and the companies that import their fruit insist price is not the biggest factor behind Mexico's growing market share. Unlike Florida tomatoes that are mostly picked green, Mexican tomatoes are typically allowed to ripen on the vine. Advocates of the Mexican fruit say consumers are simply voting with their taste buds.

"Tomatoes that we see today have very good flavor. They have nice acidity. They pop when you bite into them," said Lance Jungmeyer, president of the Fresh Produce Association of the Americas, an importers group. "Back in the day, before the innovations, we had a lot of pink and mealy tomatoes that frankly didn't keep consumers coming back."

Jungmeyer argues that rather than update their farming procedures, Florida growers have sought refuge from a protectionist federal government. He warns the new import duties will raise prices and limit consumer choice.

"Duties are harmful to the American consumers," Jungmeyer said. "It's a tax on consumers. And that's the wrong way to go with fruits and vegetables."
    More at link.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Sounds like dollar deval, seeing how most store tomatoes come from other countries, are picked still green and artificially ripened with acetylene gas. That's why store tomatoes always taste bland. They're actually green tomatoes with red skin.
    Last edited by devil21; 05-12-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Sounds like dollar deval, seeing how most store tomatoes come from other countries, are picked still green and artificially ripened with acetylene gas. That's why store tomatoes always taste bland. They're actually green tomatoes with red skin.
    Actually the importers let their tomatoes ripen more before shipping than domestic producers so US tomatoes taste worse. And I think you mean "ethylene gas" which tomatoes naturally produce. Other fruits like apples produce the gas too (if you want your bananas to ripen quicker, put them in a bag with an apple).

https://www.npr.org/2011/08/26/13997...grown-tomatoes

Their wild ancestors live on the - along the coastal regions of South America, and that's - you know, that's some of the driest desert in the world. And it's why tomatoes do well in places like California and Italy. They love these dry summer days. Florida's humid. That's step one, you're right.

And the second thing is, most Florida commercial tomatoes are grown in sand. It's not sandy loam. It's not sandy soil. It's sand, just like you get on Daytona Beach, and it's got the same level of nutrients. Everything that plant needs to survive, to grow, has to be injected into that sand, or you get nothing.
    ESTABROOK: Well, these tomatoes are picked by hand. Slicing tomatoes, fresh tomatoes that you buy whole, as opposed to canned tomatoes, are picked by hand. They have to be. They are loaded into one of these vast, huge trucks like the one that nearly did me in, and they're trucked to warehouse-like processing plants where they're washed, waxed, put in cartons, and then the cartons are placed on pallets.

And these bright green tomatoes go into warehouse-like buildings where the doors are closed and the processors turn on ethylene gas, and the tomatoes are gassed. Now, ethylene will cause a tomato to turn red. It's actually emitted naturally by the plants in the fields when they want to ripen their fruits. In this case, it's artificial, and even if a tomato is not ripe, it obligingly turns red.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Actually the importers let their tomatoes ripen more before shipping than domestic producers so US tomatoes taste worse. And I think you mean "ethylene gas" which tomatoes naturally produce. Other fruits like apples produce the gas too (if you want your bananas to ripen quicker, put them in a bag with an apple).

https://www.npr.org/2011/08/26/13997...grown-tomatoes
    Great thanks for setting me straight on the exact gas used to artificially ripen the tomatoes.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Dutch tomatoes then ?

Mexico: US$2.3 billion (24.5% of total tomatoes exports)
    Netherlands: $1.9 billion (20.8%)
    Spain: $1.1 billion (11.9%)
    Morocco: $686.8 million (7.4%)
    Canada: $411.7 million (4.5%)
    France: $369.8 million (4%)
    United States: $325 million (3.5%)
    Turkey: $289.9 million (3.1%)
    Belgium: $284.1 million (3.1%)
    China: $207.3 million (2.2%)
    Azerbaijan: $177.1 million (1.9%)
    Jordan: $168.3 million (1.8%)
    Italy: $160.3 million (1.7%)
    Poland: $79.2 million (0.9%)
    Portugal: $63.8 million (0.7%)
    Morocco has a free trade agreement with the US, they'd be more likely than the Netherlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Trump - accidentally killing a few children in the fight against Islamic extremism so Soros doesn't murder thousands of children
    Trump hasn't even been in 6 months, you can't call him a boondoggle President unless he has overseen a military boondoggle for at least a year or two.
    When Donald Trump talks about torture, I don't know what he really believes for sure, but he gets attacked on what he says unjustly by the media and many people here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12