Thread: Sunscreen chemicals enter your bloodstream within hours of slapping it on

Sunscreen chemicals enter your bloodstream within hours of slapping it on

The chemicals in sunscreen enter the bloodstream of users within hours of slapping it on, an American study has found.
    The study found that chemicals – avobenzone, oxybenzone, ecamsule and octocrylene – reached levels high enough to trigger a government safety investigation within a day.
    The research conducted by America’s Food and Drug Administration found that blood concentration continued to rise during the day – and remained in the body for up to 24 hours.
    Previous research has suggested that sunscreen ingredients can enter the bloodstream, and have even been detected in breast milk.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...171830255.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What is safer the sun screen or the sun? What is best for a person that works out in the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    What is safer the sun screen or the sun? What is best for a person that works out in the sun?
    Some actually pay to go to tanning salons to get a tan on purpose, Construction workers can get one for free.

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Some actually pay to go to tanning salons to get a tan on purpose, Construction workers can get one for free.
    Ya but if you can make more money doing something other than construction, then it isn't exactly free.

I wasn't sure why tanning salons were so popular until I actually went to one.

If you want to get sun, you have to find a time during mid-day where you can spend 20-40 minutes out in the sun, and dedicate that 20-40 minutes to just laying there. Also the sun has to be out. Nobody has time for that..

Most people work in an office, or go to school. The sun isn't always out. When it is, you have to dress a certain way, go to a certain type of place and spend a good amount of time there.

The cool thing about tanning booths is that it takes about 8 minutes. That means you walk in, any time of the day or night that is convenient, and you spend just 8 minutes and you are done.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

IMO the sun is better if you aren't going to get burnt too bad. If you are going to stay in the sun long enough to get burnt pretty bad, then it is good to wear some sunscreen.

They have organic sunscreens that are made with zinc oxide, coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter and other ingredients. It doesn't work as well or as long as the chemical laden stuff, but it is alright. It's also really expensive. And be careful. I made some homemade and it works ok for my friend, but I have found it didn't work well enough for me when I'm going to be out in the sun for a long time. It could be that I didn't mix it properly and the zinc oxide didn't get distributed well enough, that seems to be an issue sometimes. I used my friend's that he made and it worked a little better than mine, but still not great.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    IMO the sun is better if you aren't going to get burnt too bad. If you are going to stay in the sun long enough to get burnt pretty bad, then it is good to wear some sunscreen.

They have organic sunscreens that are made with zinc oxide, coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter and other ingredients. It doesn't work as well or as long as the chemical laden stuff, but it is alright. It's also really expensive. And be careful. I made some homemade and it works ok for my friend, but I have found it didn't work well enough for me when I'm going to be out in the sun for a long time. It could be that I didn't mix it properly and the zinc oxide didn't get distributed well enough, that seems to be an issue sometimes. I used my friend's that he made and it worked a little better than mine, but still not great.
    I would imagine most people can acclimate to long hours in the sun. My son can get so dark it is unbelievable. Golden. Is that bad for you skin? I have been told since young that there is nothing worse for skin than sun and or cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya but if you can make more money doing something other than construction, then it isn't exactly free.

I wasn't sure why tanning salons were so popular until I actually went to one.

If you want to get sun, you have to find a time during mid-day where you can spend 20-40 minutes out in the sun, and dedicate that 20-40 minutes to just laying there. Also the sun has to be out. Nobody has time for that..

Most people work in an office, or go to school. The sun isn't always out. When it is, you have to dress a certain way, go to a certain type of place and spend a good amount of time there.

The cool thing about tanning booths is that it takes about 8 minutes. That means you walk in, any time of the day or night that is convenient, and you spend just 8 minutes and you are done.
    I get it... I live in the desert southwest and many like myself don't wear a shirt unless we have to. Even office workers take it off every chance they get. It's a cultural thing to maintain a natural tan here. Outdoor people.

A good solution is to just not go outside.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Straw hat and long sleeve shirt probably .
    Do something Danke

You know who stays outside long enough to need sunscreen?

Hippies and mexicans.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    You know who stays outside long enough to need sunscreen?

Hippies and mexicans.
    What about cowboys?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    What about cowboys?
    They usually practice inside in their indoor facility in Frisco
    - Kim Kardashian

They usually practice inside in their indoor facility in Frisco
    More evidence you aren't a real Texican.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Texican
    -rep
    - Kim Kardashian

The study looked at people who put sunscreen over 75% of their body four times a day every day. And were not out in the sun. That is not most people.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2019...3901557165268/

For its study, the FDA randomly had 24 adults apply either a sunscreen spray, lotion or cream four times a day for four days. The participants applied the sunscreen to three-quarters of their body surface.

The study took place in a lab, and the agency drew 30 blood samples from each participant over a week to see whether the chemicals in the sunscreen got absorbed through the skin.
    But it was a very small-scale laboratory study that simply shows the need for more research, said Dr. Raman Madan, a dermatologist with Northwell Health's Huntington Hospital in Huntington, N.Y.

"While this is a starting point, the relevance of this result is unknown," Madan said. "There needs to be further studies done to show what this really means. While it could have real-world consequences, it could very well mean nothing."

The study also differs from real life in that people applied the sunscreen while hanging about a lab, Shinkai said.

"They weren't doing the things people typically do when they use sunscreen," such as swimming or working in the yard, Shinkai said. Because of this, their exposure might differ from that of everyday people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The study looked at people who put sunscreen over 75% of their body four times a day every day. And were not out in the sun. That is not most people.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2019...3901557165268/
    It still shows that the chemicals enter the blood in significant amounts.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It still shows that the chemicals enter the blood in significant amounts.
    Well, they were applying significant amounts. Normal people don't cover 75% of their body with it four times a day every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Well, they were applying significant amounts. Normal people don't cover 75% of their body with it four times a day every day.
    Even if you compensate for that it isn't comforting.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I worked construction as an electrician, tons of 120 f heat outdoors, ditches,
    foundations etc....

Big straw hat, hard hat when required.
    Long sleeve shirt , levis , boots, sunglasses, gloves.

Clothing helps in the heat believe it or not, psychologically it sucks but once
    you get used to it , it's the bomb.

Drink lots of water a day before and the days out as well. Sweat like a pig but its
    a lot easier to take than you might think.

You need Vit D, and sunlight is the best, so , I don't do that work anymore, but
    I cover up from the sun still.

Face
    ears
    arms

....but , I'll take at least 15 mins to an hour a day with shirt off and in shorts to get some
    essential vit D.

More evidence you aren't a real Texican.

This.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Came here to post this breaking news but there is already 20 post long thread, this forum is like on bleeding edge of information highway

Sunscreen chemicals seep into your bloodstream after one day of use: study

By Amanda Woods
    May 7, 2019

The chemicals in popular sunscreens don’t just sit on the surface of the skin — many of them are absorbed into the bloodstream at levels that far surpass government-recommended thresholds for the compounds, according to a new study.

The results of the study, published Monday in the peer-reviewed journal JAMA, don’t mean that the active ingredients contained in sunscreen are unsafe, according to an editorial accompanying the study, written by Food and Drug Administration chairman Robert Califf and JAMA dermatology editor in chief Kanade Shinkai.
    But the findings should give the industry pause, the researchers said.
    “The study findings raise many important questions about sunscreen and the process by which the sunscreen industry, clinicians, specialty organizations, and regulatory agencies evaluate the benefits and risks of this topical OTC medication,” the authors wrote.
    The 24 study participants were asked to apply one of four types of sunscreen spray, lotion or cream four times daily over a week to areas that wouldn’t be covered by a swimsuit, USA Today reported.
    Then they measured the concentration of four different active ingredients commonly used in sunscreens — avobenzone, oxybenzone, octocrylene and ecamsule — in the participants’ blood.
    If the blood absorption of any of these ingredients exceeds 0.5 nanograms per millilter (ng/mL), the FDA recommends that they undergo “nonclinical toxicology assessment including systemic carcinogenicity and additional developmental and reproductive studies,” the study said.
    Researchers found that the levels of all four chemicals in the participants’ bloodstreams far exceeded that even within one day — and three of the ingredients remained there for seven days, according to the study.
    Oxybenzone — which, along with some other ingredients, has been found in human breast milk — reached the threshold within two hours of one application. On day seven, the concentration was above 20 ng/mL. The chemical has also been found to be toxic to coral reefs, which prompted Hawaii to ban it last year, according to USA Today.
    “Because biological rationale has so often proven to be misleading, drug manufacturers must demonstrate through empirical research in humans that benefits outweigh risks for an intended use of a product in a specified population. Has sunscreen met these current requirements for safety and effectiveness?” the researchers wrote.
    Still, the American Academy of Dermatologists insisted it’s important to continue using sunscreen.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/sunscr...-of-use-study/

-rep
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patriotic.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	678.1 KB 
ID:	6410
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.