Thread: Pompeo tells national tv: Trump can start Veneuela War without Congress.

Pompeo tells national tv: Trump can start Veneuela War without Congress.

Pompeo Won’t Promise to Consult Congress Before Attacking Venezuela
    Says anything Trump decides to do would be legal
    https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...t-13820872.php

"The president has his full range of Article 2 authorities, and I'm very confident that any action we took in Venezuela would be lawful."

None of this is stated in Article II. Perhaps he should pay attention to the last paragraph, however..
    https://constitutioncenter.org/inter...les/article-ii

This is not the first time a sitting Secretary of State argued that the President may launch wars without Congress.
    Ultimately, it has never been done. Authorization was always sought by the President and granted by Congress, or War
    was formally declared.

For example, the run-up to Desert Storm:
    According to the Bush Administration, the fact that the Constitution gives Congress, and only Congress, the power "to declare war" doesn't stop the President from starting a war on his own. Congress might have interesting opinions, and its support is desirable, the argument goes. But its approval is not required should the President decide to attack Iraq, even if the attack is, in the Administration's phrase, sudden, massive and decisive.

It's a breathtaking misinterpretation of the Constitution.

The argument emerged in recent testimony by Secretary of State James Baker and in arguments by the Justice Department in lawsuits brought by 54 House members and a National Guardsman on duty in Saudi Arabia. Those lawsuits have now failed in the trial courts but the Administration's war powers claims are left as mere naked assertions.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/15/o...clare-war.html

George Bush had to seek approval (and he got it):

The Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution (short title) ( Pub.L. 102–1) or Joint Resolution to authorize the use of United States Armed Forces pursuant to United Nations Security Council Resolution 678 (official title), was the United States Congress's January 14, 1991 authorization of the use ... President George H. W. Bush requested a Congressional joint resolution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Its statements like these where hes not even trying to hide that hes a neocon.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

No , I cannot say I really see Article Two as valid being used to war with venezuela .
    Do something Danke

Paul to Pompeo: You do not have ‘permission’ for war with Iran http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-war-with-Iran

A war with Venezuela is a direct war with Russia.

Pompeo is insane.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I mean he is right historically, congress lets it happen and has never ended a war themselves by checking the president.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    I think Pompeo and Bolton think they can start a war without the permission of the president.

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    A war with Venezuela is a direct war with Russia.
    And a war with Iran is a war with Hezbollah the same Hezbollah America supported them in Bosnia agaisnt Christians.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I think Pompeo and Bolton think they can start a war without the permission of the president.
    It seems Trump was so scared of what the CIA did to JFK he had no choice but to put in his admin the worst NeoCons around.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    And a war with Iran is a war with Hezbollah the same Hezbollah America supported them in Bosnia agaisnt Christians.
    We have done a lot of that over the years. Create our own enemies. The one in Iran started in 1953. Take that back... even sooner right after WWII we started meddling with the Brits and British petroleum companies as our allies. It has been one after the other since. The CIA.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    It seems Trump was so scared of what the CIA did to JFK he had no choice but to put in his admin the worst NeoCons around.
    Trump has feelings on foreign policy, but stronger feelings elsewhere, and is more than willing to sacrifice them to get his other objectives.
    He has clearly traded foreign policy away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Ya, it's too bad more people here don't realize Trump is the only thing holding them back..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Rand Paul is doing everything he can to stop this

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya, it's too bad more people here don't realize Trump is the only thing holding them back..
    Not really don't get your hopes up.
    They are the ones who want to finish the seven year plan that NATO general exposed on that interview with Democracy now and its clear both from Pompeo and Bolton their chances of starting a war with Iran are going to move away should anything go wrong. They don't seem to care if they want to take out Venezuela they don't care about the rule at all.

But still you have to ask yourselves how could America start a war with Iran or anyone else now when considering Afghanistan is going so badly?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Yes, clearly the best way to hold them back was to make them part of his administration...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.