Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank you President Trump. The economy just keeps choogling along...

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    That's just because employers ceased hiring as many white men.
    During the same time, white male unemployment went from 9.6% to 3.9%. They did better than anybody else.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS14000028

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    "But in 5 more years I'm gonna have to buy a new washing machine and it'll cost $30 more. None of that other stuff really matters."

--Signed,
    A cash-register libertarian
    Thank you Mr. President!

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...st-100-n999461

Trump's washing machine tariffs are costing Americans almost $100 more per appliance

American manufacturers have also jacked up the cost of their appliances, in order to match the higher price of their competitors.

A little more than a year after President Donald Trump slapped a 20 percent tariff on imported washing machines, new research finds that American shoppers have been the ones to pay the price.

A study conducted by two researchers at the University of Chicago and a Federal Reserve Board Governor found that washers cost an average of 12 percent more after the imposition of the tariffs, or roughly $86 to $92 more per appliance.

“It’s a good example of how the benefits of free trade are extremely diffuse but then the benefits of protectionism are concentrated,” said David Dollar, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.

Collectively, Americans are paying more than $1.5 billion extra every year from this tariff alone. Another recent study by a trio of economists from Princeton and Columbia universities and the New York Fed found that the combined impact of all the Trump administration’s trade sanctions costs Americans $1.4 billion each month.

Although the tariff studied by the University of Chicago researchers was only on imported washing machines, the study found that the price increases were significantly more widespread. “Taking the effects on both goods together, the overall tariff elasticity of consumer prices is above 100 percent for the 2018 safeguard tariffs,” they wrote. “The costs of these 2018 tariffs are substantial.”

The researchers found that the price of clothes dryers rose in tandem with washing machine price increases, even though dryers weren’t impacted by the tariffs. The study also found that domestically manufacturers raised prices on their washing machines, as well. All the big brands studied raised their prices by a range of 5 percent to as much as 17 percent.

“Firms are operating in competitive markets and they’re going to try to charge what they can,” Dollar said. When that competition is stifled, companies don’t have to worry as much about being priced out of a market if their products are more expensive. “Free trade is a great anti-monopoly policy,” he said.

Prices have not changed on my american made washing machine .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Prices have not changed on my american made washing machine .
    According to the study, even US makers raised their prices. Less competition allowed them to do so. Even "buying American" does not protect you from paying for tariffs.

The study also found that domestically manufacturers raised prices on their washing machines, as well. All the big brands studied raised their prices by a range of 5 percent to as much as 17 percent.

“Firms are operating in competitive markets and they’re going to try to charge what they can,” Dollar said. When that competition is stifled, companies don’t have to worry as much about being priced out of a market if their products are more expensive. “Free trade is a great anti-monopoly policy,” he said.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-06-2019 at 02:02 PM.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Sounds like it should be a Creedence song .
    Somethin somethin New Orleans...
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The tariffs will make everyone better off so they can more than afford any increased prices just the reverse of what allowing the trade war has done.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The tariffs will make everyone better off so they can more than afford any increased prices just the reverse of what allowing the trade war has done.
    So higher prices are good things. It makes things more affordable for people. Interesting.

So higher prices are good things. It makes things more affordable for people. Interesting.
    It isn't the higher prices that will make people better off.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It isn't the higher prices that will make people better off.
    Must be the "fewer jobs" caused by tariffs and those higher prices which makes them better off then.

Must be the "fewer jobs" caused by tariffs and those higher prices which makes them better off then.
    LOL

The World Turned Upside Down

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL

The World Turned Upside Down
    I realize you don't know that much about economics but perhaps you can explain how tariffs and their costs to consumers and businesses make people better off? Other than a few slogans you learned?

I realize you don't know that much about economics but perhaps you can explain how tariffs and their costs to consumers and businesses make people better off? Other than a few slogans you learned?
    More and better jobs.
    We are talking about defensive tariffs that cancel out the economic warfare intervention of hostile foreign governments which are different from protectionist tariffs added to an otherwise free market.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Somethin somethin New Orleans...
    Wishin' I were a fast freight train....................................chasin' down a hoodoo there .
    Do something Danke

More and better jobs.
    We are talking about defensive tariffs that cancel out the economic warfare intervention of hostile foreign governments which are different from protectionist tariffs added to an otherwise free market.
    More cliches. Not explanation of how it creates jobs. I guess you truely don't understand how it works.

A tariff is a tax applied when something is imported. It makes the item more expensive. If it is a consumer item, the consumer is able to afford fewer items so the buy less. Sellers have lower sales- what are they going to do? Raise wages for their workers? Hire more of them? No, if sales are down, they will reduce their labor force. Fewer jobs.

If the item is for a manufacturer who will use it in the production of other goods, their costs are now higher. They have a few options- accept a lower profit margin (profit is what they are after- they are not going to do that unless absolutely necessary). They can try to lower the costs of other inputs- meaning labor. Fewer jobs. Or they can raise the price they charge which as shown earlier leads to fewer sales. Fewer sales means fewer workers needed to produce the fewer number of goods so fewer jobs.

Bingo! Everybody now has higher paying jobs and there are more of them! Huh?

More cliches. Not explanation of how it creates jobs. I guess you truely don't understand how it works.

A tariff is a tax applied when something is imported. It makes the item more expensive. If it is a consumer item, the consumer is able to afford fewer items so the buy less. Sellers have lower sales- what are they going to do? Raise wages for their workers? Hire more of them? No, if sales are down, they will reduce their labor force. Fewer jobs.

If the item is for a manufacturer who will use it in the production of other goods, their costs are now higher. They have a few options- accept a lower profit margin (profit is what they are after- they are not going to do that unless absolutely necessary). They can try to lower the costs of other inputs- meaning labor. Fewer jobs. Or they can raise the price they charge which as shown earlier leads to fewer sales. Fewer sales means fewer workers needed to produce the fewer number of goods so fewer jobs.

You are pretending that Chinese factories hire American workers now?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Tell us about how taxes are terrible when Andrew Yang proposes new ones. There’s even a thread ready for you:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...t-Andrew-Yang/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

You are pretending that Chinese factories hire American workers now?
    Higher prices means that consumers can afford to buy fewer of ALL GOODS, not just those produced in China. And as was seen in the washing machine tariffs, even US makers raised their prices when the competition had their prices increased. Not just the cost of the directly tariffed goods go up. Steel tariffs raised the costs for automakers who had to raise their prices. Other manufacturers who use steel or aluminum have seen their costs go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Tell us about how taxes are terrible when Andrew Yang proposes new ones. There’s even a thread ready for you:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...t-Andrew-Yang/
    I don't agree with his ideas either.

Higher prices means that consumers can afford to buy fewer of ALL GOODS, not just those produced in China. And as was seen in the washing machine tariffs, even US makers raised their prices when the competition had their prices increased. Not just the cost of the directly tariffed goods go up. Steel tariffs raised the costs for automakers who had to raise their prices. Other manufacturers who use steel or aluminum have seen their costs go up.
    Only temporarily until bringing the jobs home increases prosperity.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Only temporarily until bringing the jobs home increases prosperity.
    How long should we wait for that?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How long should we wait for that?
    It's already starting but it will keep going for a long time.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

For at least as long as Trump is President, anyway
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Tariffs and their high costs will have to stay in place a long time for most to make a move. Companies do not move locations quickly. It takes time to decide to make the move, make agreements for land/ offices, put out bids, construct new equipment/ facilities. A move can take years. The company wants to be sure that the protections will still be in place by the time they get it completed. Meanwhile, consumers are losing billions. The current tariffs are costing us $1.4 billion every month in higher prices.

Tariffs and their high costs will have to stay in place a long time for most to make a move. Companies do not move locations quickly. It takes time to decide to make the move, make agreements for land/ offices, put out bids, construct new equipment/ facilities. A move can take years. The company wants to be sure that the protections will still be in place by the time they get it completed. Meanwhile, consumers are losing billions. The current tariffs are costing us $1.4 billion every month in higher prices.
    So, have the fedgov reduce other taxes by that amount, every month.

Problem solved.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Problem solved.
    Only if those tax cuts go in the same amounts to the same consumers or businesses are paying in the form of those higher prices. If google gets a $100 tax break that does not help the worker who had to pay $100 more for a washing machine. He still has less money to spend on something else.

Protectionism is not free market and is not pro-liberty.
    Calvin Coolidge is generally regarded as the most "libertarian" president the country has ever seen.

Coolidge kept tariff rates high in order to protect American manufacturing.

Coolidge also signed the Immigration Act of 1924, which greatly restricted immigration into the United States.

He is adulated among advocates of smaller government and laissez-faire.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presid...alvin_Coolidge

I think what has happened here is multi generational gaslighting.

I think tariffs that encourage and protect domestic business and jobs are pro-liberty, and that the globalist vision of all of us consuming our way to government approved happiness on a 100 New Credits a month is tyranny.

Problem solved.
    I consider that a most outstanding idea . trump could call it The Great American Stimulus or Great American tax Relief Plan for prosperity ...... Everybody would want to choogle .
    Do something Danke

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have stopped the bleeding and some companies are already creating jobs or bringing them back, it would have been much better if we had just tariffed the Chinese and the other trade cheats in the first place but it's better to do it now than never.

Do you know how to remove a fishhook that is stuck in a kid's arm?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I think what has happened here is multi generational gaslighting.

I think tariffs that encourage and protect domestic business and jobs are pro-liberty, and that the globalist vision of all of us consuming our way to government approved happiness on a 100 New Credits a month is tyranny.
    I think any tariff that encourages and protects domestic business runs the risk of propping them up. It may help the business or special interest, but it's at the expense of the consumer and ultimately the marketplace. I don't think any businesses or industries are too big to fail. Even if it meant unemployment in the short term, in the long run it makes a freer, more prosperous market.

I'm not bit picky about it though, and Trump's tariffs aren't making me lose any sleep at night. But I don't think it has helped in the short run or the long run. I'll stick with my original point in this thread that if we start giving credit to the actions and regulations of central planners for a good economy, then that gives them license to be active and regulate. I'd rather them be passive. (Don't know if I said that right, but you know what I mean.)
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast