Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank you President Trump. The economy just keeps choogling along...

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    In all seriousness name me 1 good reason why Trump gets the thanks for this?
    Can do attitude. Everybody wants to be on the winning team. Obama was such a whiner and a drag.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you think tariffs help the economy you're gonna love a Sanders presidency.
    Defensive tariffs do and I'd hate a Sanders presidency.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Defensive tariffs do
    Source? (From a laissez faire/Austrian/classical viewpoint (this is RPF))
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Hostile foreign government intervention in the marketplace is as bad or worse than domestic government interference, defensive tariffs cancel it out.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes, lets limit the sources allowed input; because we like living in an echo chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Yes, lets limit the sources allowed input; because we like living in an echo chamber.
    I wasn't limiting them because I like an echo chamber. I was qualifying because I knew Swordboy would link up some crap from some wannabe.

When I was in school I can remember my teacher telling us to cite anything we wanted, and use anything as a source. She knew that we'd have crappy work, but at least we'd look like idiots.
    Last edited by tfurrh; 05-04-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Do you also give credit to Obama for the economic improvement while he was president? It fell by more than half- a high of ten percent to 4.7% when he left office?
    Hispanic unemployment from 13% to 5.7%?
    Women's unemployment from 8.7% to 4.7%?
    Jobs (non-farm payroll) went from a low of 130 million to 145 million- 15 million jobs added?
    Dont forget the food stamp roll increases and fines of the poor who could not afford health insurance .
    Do something Danke

Fracking and Shale oil have done more to hurt the coal industry than any of the wind and solar $#@! that article talks about. And yet natural gas and shale oil not mentioned even once in that article and the growth of those industries is what has made coal not price competitive and closed down coal miners. With that said, the coal company in my portfolio sold more last year than any year before (increasing overseas exports is good for our economy) and is minting cash; but thinking of the future by expanding their assets into gas and oil.
    Nat gas was a pretty good money maker for me when I still fooled around in stocks . And in the old days heating oil.
    Do something Danke

I wasn't limiting them because I like an echo chamber. I was qualifying because I knew Swordboy would link up some crap from some wannabe.

When I was in school I can remember my teacher telling us to cite anything we wanted, and use anything as a source. She knew that we'd have crappy work, but at least we'd look like idiots.
    I have no need to link to anyone, facts and logic are on my side.

It seems your teacher never taught you enough to think for yourself, but since her goal was to let you look like an idiot I guess she didn't see a need to.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

How is coal doing? https://www.forbes.com/sites/energyi.../#35f219c36654

Coal employs about 50,000. A small industry. It used to have 89,000 jobs. Here too, automation has reduced the number of workers needed.
    It is possible that the problem with coal is not Trump but cheap oil and gas. A few years ago I heated my house exclusively with coal because of the high price of oil. The last few years oil has come way down and coal has remained the same. Oil is cheaper and no work involved.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thank you Trump, for following the wonderful example of Obama and Bush Jr!
    Slashing the taxes for big corporations and for the wealthy. Will Trump even achieve the nearly impossible? Again doubling the US national debt? The banksters are already counting their interests...

During Trump’s first 2 years in office, US federal government deficits have already driven the national debt up by $3 trillion – from $19.5 trillion to $22.5 trillion. That´s even faster than his predecessors, George Bush and Barack Obama.
    The 2018 Trump tax cuts have reduced US government revenues by about $500 billion in 2018; add another $.5 trillion per year in the continuing of the Bush-Obama era tax cuts; another $.4 trillion in Trump war and other spending hikes during his first two years; and more than $.6 trillion in interest payments on the debt — and you reach the $3 trillion added to the national debt in 2017 and 2018.

When George Bush Jr. took office in 2001 the national debt was $5.6 trillion; it almost doubled in 8 years to approximately $10 trillion. When Obama left office in 2016 it had almost doubled again to $19.6 trillion.
    Under President George Bush Jr. there were more than $4 trillion in tax cuts. The US army got several trillions additionally.
    Obama cut another $300 billion in taxes in 2009 and then extended the Bush tax cuts, scheduled to expire in 2010, for two more years to 2012 (costing another $900 billion). Then came another $806 billion in tax cuts for business. In January 2013, Obama extend Bush’s tax cuts for another decade —costing a further $5 trillion until 2023.
    Both Bush and Obama cut taxes by approximately $4 trillion each. And defense-war spending long term costs rose by $6 trillion in total. Roughly a $14 trillion increase to the $5.6 trillion debt of 2000.

To this Trump has since added another $3 trillion during, which adds up to the “current” $22.5 trillion.
    The Treasury Advisory Committee recently warned the US Treasury that it will have to sell $12 trillion more US Treasury bonds, bills and notes, over the next decade, 2018-2028. That’s $12 trillion on top of $22.5 trillion national debt or a $34 trillion national debt by 2028!

In January 2018 the Trump tax cut provided $4.5 trillion tax reduction from 2018 to 2028, for businesses, multinational corporations, wealthy households, and investors. US multinationals alone get nearly half of that $4.5 trillion.
    But starting this year, 2019, the middle class will begin paying for those tax reductions for corporate America, investors and the wealthy 1%. Already tax refunds for the average household are down 17%. The tax hike starts in earnest by 2022; middle class will pay $1.5 trillion in higher taxes by 2028.

Today’s $22.5 trillion, rising to $34 trillion, is just the US national government debt. Total US debt includes state and local government debt, household debt, corporate bond and business commercial & industrial loan debt, central bank balance sheet debt, and government agencies (GSEs) debt. Add these other forms of debt to the national debt makes the total debt in the US rises some $53 trillion. This lead to an estimated grand total US debt of more than $70 trillion by 2028 (the $900 billion a year in interest charges for the banksters is probably too low an estimate): https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/03...and-debt-bomb/
    (archived here: http://archive.is/hzpeF)
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Corn farmers, auto mechanics, and environmental shysters are all reportedly having record years as well.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    All the "Never Trumpers" are telling me there will be a recession, like, Monday, and it will all come tumbling down. Even though they have been telling me that since his engineering of the economic upswing since he took office
    Isn't that what Ron Paul also says?

I think that prediction harms Ron Paul's credibility. The more you predict something that does not happen the less credible you become. I do not think there will be a recession until the deep state wants one.

Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations, Book IV: Retaliatory tariffs should only be established when there is a chance they will work to have both nations lower their restrictions: “There may be good policy in retaliations of this kind, when there is a probability that they will procure the repeal of the high duties or prohibitions complained of. The recovery of a great foreign market will generally more than compensate the transitory inconveniency of paying dearer during a short time for some sorts of goods.”
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Lucky timing mostly. Presidents get both too much credit and too much blame for what the economy does. He came along when the economy was already chugging along. He just has to not screw it up like with his trade wars.
    I understand this, and I'm pretty sure Phill does as well.

It's always fun to kick this particular hornet's nest though.

And the fact that there is a resurgence in US heavy manufacturing is undeniably a good thing, regardless if Trump is responsible or not.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Ron Paul says a lot of things.

I know a couple of very "well off" folks who were utterly ruined because they took Ron's pronouncements on gold, monetary collapse and futures as gospel truth.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And the fact that there is a resurgence in US heavy manufacturing is undeniably a good thing, regardless if Trump is responsible or not.

It is not a "good thing" if you are one that wants people dependent on govt handouts or you are one that wants to hasten the collapse of the US govt.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations, Book IV: Retaliatory tariffs should only be established when there is a chance they will work to have both nations lower their restrictions: “There may be good policy in retaliations of this kind, when there is a probability that they will procure the repeal of the high duties or prohibitions complained of. The recovery of a great foreign market will generally more than compensate the transitory inconveniency of paying dearer during a short time for some sorts of goods.”
    Good one. + rep. And I don't hear any echoes.

Last edited by tfurrh; 05-05-2019 at 07:39 PM.

It is not a "good thing" if you are one that wants people dependent on govt handouts or you are one that wants to hasten the collapse of the US govt.
    Is protectionism a handout?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Is protectionism a handout?
    No, protectionism is a policy or even ideology. Glad I could help you out with that.

For decades now.

I know a couple of very "well off" folks who were utterly ruined because they took Ron's pronouncements on gold, monetary collapse and futures as gospel truth.
    That wasn't supposed to be a short-term strategy. If they were old and about to retire, then that might have hurt them if they threw everything into it.. but otherwise if they were that well off, they should have a lot of physical metals that will very likely provide great benefit at some point.. even if they bought it at a relatively high price point.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"But in 5 more years I'm gonna have to buy a new washing machine and it'll cost $30 more. None of that other stuff really matters."

--Signed,
    A cash-register libertarian
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    That wasn't supposed to be a short-term strategy. If they were old and about to retire, then that might have hurt them if they threw everything into it.. but otherwise if they were that well off, they should have a lot of physical metals that will very likely provide great benefit at some point.. even if they bought it at a relatively high price point.
    It was more involved than just a matter of one person's retirement accounts.

I'm not at liberty to say much more than that.

Hispanic unemployment from 13% to 5.7%?
    Women's unemployment from 8.7% to 4.7%?
    That's just because employers ceased hiring as many white men.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Presidents are Public Relations Officers. Nothing more. I'd think long time "woke" types around RPF would know this by now. They take credit for things they had nothing to do with and take the blame also. Having said that, a PR Officer's job often is to outright lie to the public about the goings on of the corporation they are speaking on behalf of.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Choogling?

Must be an economist that wrote the headline. Whenever they don't know what the hell's going on, they make up a new word to describe it.
    We believe our lying eyes...

When I was working I always advised the youngsters to do what I did , put in your 6 percent or whatever to get the company match ( the free money ) and buy some gold , silver land and guns. That way your covered in every direction.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Choogling?

Must be an economist that wrote the headline. Whenever they don't know what the hell's going on, they make up a new word to describe it.
    Sounds like it should be a Creedence song .
    Do something Danke

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast