Thread: John McAfee Vows to Unmask Crypto’s Satoshi Nakamoto, Then Backs Off

John McAfee Vows to Unmask Crypto’s Satoshi Nakamoto, Then Backs Off

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...to-within-days

McAfee says lots of things. He also claims that bitcoin will be worth $1 million each by the end of the year. He said he was going to stay and fight the IRS over tax evasion but then hopped on a boat and fled the country. He also says he is running for President. He just likes publicity.

ohn McAfee, the eccentric antivirus pioneer known for his brushes with the law, said he has spoken with Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto and plans to reveal the person’s identity.

But the timing of the announcement is up in the air. After previously telling Bloomberg he would expose Nakamoto “within a week,” he backed off the plan. McAfee said Tuesday on Twitter the controversy could hurt his efforts to fight an extradition to the U.S.
    https://www.ccn.com/mcafee-satoshi-nakamoto-furious

Marketing and politics go hand in hand. McAfee is likely going to make a run at the U.S. presidency. Skeptics and non-skeptics alike might suggest that the Satoshi talk is nothing more than a way to keep his name in the spotlight. In another extremely amusing happenstance, Bloomberg (probably in desperation to get clicks out of a wasted interview) released some glorious quotes from an interview with the cybersecurity entrepreneur that one can only describe as prime McAfee:

“People forget that I am a technologist, I am one of the best. My entire life I’ve been tracking people who are the best in the world at hiding their identity. Finding Satoshi was a piece of cake for me.”

Don’t worry there’s more. Big John claims that he has actually spoken to Satoshi, and the “technologist” has struck a nerve with the bitcoin creator:

“I’ve spoken with him, and he is not a happy camper about my attempt to out him.”

It’s pure gold; the fact that only two short quotes were useable for Bloomberg’s article is even more amusing. This has been fun while it lasted though, and you can’t deny the conviction that the security guru displayed.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    He also claims that bitcoin will be worth $1 million each by the end of the year.

He said it would be $1 million by 2020. If it happens in December of 2020, then it got to $1 million by 2020. So it's the end of next year.

Why can't you ever make an informational post that isn't 80% wrong??
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

He said it would be $1 million by 2020. If it happens in December of 2020, then it got to $1 million by 2020. So it's the end of next year.

Why can't you ever make an informational post that isn't 80% wrong??
    So If somebody was meeting you somewhere and they said, "I'll be there by 10pm" you wouldn't consider them late until 11pm?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    So If somebody was meeting you somewhere and they said, "I'll be there by 10pm" you wouldn't consider them late until 11pm?
    10pm is 10:00pm.

2020 is not January 1, 2020. It's all year. If somebody said "I'll see you in 2020", that doesn't mean January 1, 2020 either.. unless you're at a New Years Eve party or something. Usually it is a cheeky coworker and they mean January 2, 2020. But if somebody said that to you in 2017, for example, it probably wouldn't be January 1, 2020.
    Last edited by dannno; 04-24-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2020 is not January 1, 2020. It's all year. If somebody said "I'll see you in 2020", that doesn't mean January 1, 2020 either.. unless you're at a New Years Eve party or something. Usually it is a cheeky coworker and they mean January 2, 2020. But if somebody said that to you in 2017, for example, it probably wouldn't be January 1, 2020.
    You left out "BY" which is key to the phrase. I'll see you BY 2020 is different than IN 2020. I know you aren't ESL, so stop playing games with yourself.

McAfee is a joke.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

He did actually say "December 31st" which I forgot and focused on the 2020 bit. If not, he promised he will eat his own willie on television. In terms of market capitilization, I think I saw numbers which said it would require $20 trillion be used to buy bitcoins and hold them.

https://beincrypto.com/million-dolla...e-to-be-right/

At $1 million each, the entire circulating supply of an estimated 18 million Bitcoins will achieve a market capitalization of $21 trillion. In total, this would be worth around 25 percent of the world’s entire circulating money supply, allowing Bitcoin to realistically cover the day-to-day volume necessary to compete as a truly global currency.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-25-2019 at 07:11 PM.

MAX
    KAISER
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Countdown seems to be leading to the CoinDesk Conference Consensus 2019. Just promoting that? https://www.coindesk.com/events/consensus-2019

I right clicked on the site and hit "view page source". Down towards the bottom it says:

<input type="email" value="" name="EMAIL" class="email" id="mce-EMAIL" placeholder="Enter Your Email Here" required>
    <!-- real people should not fill this in and expect good things - do not remove this or risk form bot signups-->
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-04-2019 at 05:45 PM.

I doubt McAfee reveals that Satoshi is the NSA and MIT, though I wouldn't be surprised if McAfee does speak with the NSA.
    Last edited by devil21; 05-06-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Is it possible that John McAfee is Q???
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Is it possible that John McAfee is Q???
    I doubt it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He better get to naming people while he still has the balls to do so.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    John McAfee sent a body double to speak on his behalf at a crypto-gathering, the body double disappeared right before the flight, and woke up 11 days later drugged with no memory. McAfee complains about it from Cuba, where he claims the surveillance following him appears to be CIA or CIA-trained.
    McAfee’s head of US security also falls ill.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He just wants attention. Now says he was released. Claimed he was in custody four days but he was only reported taken into custody yesterday according to the twitter feed. Just in the drunk tank overnight? Says the CIA detained him but pictures seem to be locals.

(don't judge my looks - four days of confinement).
    Today:

Yesterday:

The day before:

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-24-2019 at 07:29 PM.

http://www.startribune.com/millionai...lic/513166602/

Millionaire John McAfee arrested in Dominican Republic

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — Millionaire John McAfee said Wednesday that he was released from detention in the Dominican Republic along with five others.

The Caribbean island's armed forces and public ministry said earlier in the day that McAfee was taken into custody along with U.S. citizens Elizabeth McAfee and Richard Alan Gibson, Robert Whitfield of Germany, Oral Thompson of The Bahamas and Vasner Louis of Haiti.

They were suspected of traveling on a yacht carrying high-caliber weapons, ammunition and military-style gear, officials said.

McAfee tweeted: "I was well treated. My superiors were friendly and helpful. In spite of the helpful circumstances, we've decided to move on. More later."

McAfee developed early internet security software and has been sought by authorities in the U.S. and Belize in the past.
    He was smart enough to post a picture of himself and his wife with weapons just a couple days earlier. Were the guns confiscated or was he just told to leave and don't come back after making a "donation" to local law enforcement?

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-24-2019 at 07:49 PM.

https://documentaryweekly.com/home/2...of-john-mcafee

Gringo : The Dangerous Life of John McAfee

If you used a PC in the 90s or 00s, you’ve probably heard of McAfee Antivirus. John McAfee’s company was a pioneer of the industry and swiflty granted him millionaire status.

From there on in, John’s life becomes harder and harder to believe. He settles in Belize and begins donating equipment to local police while putting together his own militia composed of ex-cons and thugs. His entourage is also composed of several teenage girlfriends with whom he lives out bizarre sexual fantasies.

When a local man accused of stealing from John disappears, things take a turn for the worse. A few months later John’s neighbour is murdered in his own home and he is wanted for questioning.

Nanette Burstein attempts to uncover the reality of John duplicitous life and delivers a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-24-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Tech guru John McAfee, creator of the eponymous antivirus computer software, has arrived in Britain from the Dominican Republic, where he was detained with his wife for entering the Caribbean nation with firearms on his yacht, his lawyer said on Friday.The attorney general's office "asked him where he wanted to go, and he decided on London," said lawyer Candido Simon, who McAfee hired to represent him in the Dominican Republic.
    McAfee, born in 1945 at a U.S. military base on British territory, has both nationalities. After Dominican authorities ensured the United States had no active legal cases or extradition requests for McAfee, they allowed him to choose where he would be sent, Simon said.
    McAfee, who is seeking the Libertarian Party's nomination for U.S. president in 2020, recently told Reuters in an interview he could help Cuba defeat the U.S. trade embargo by launching a cryptocurrency.
    On Friday, he asked his Twitter followers whether he should also campaign to be British prime minister.
    The Dominican Republic's Public Ministry said it had seized the weaponry onboard McAfee's yacht when it docked on the country's northern coast and McAfee, his wife Janice, and four associates were detained..

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/dominican-rep...182730668.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A foreigner running for US president!

McAfee, born in 1945 at a U.S. military base on British territory, has both nationalities.

A foreigner running for US president!
    He doesn't qualify.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He doesn't qualify.
    He ran Libertarian last time (losing the party nod to Gary Johnson) and says he is running Libertarian again. He got about 8% of the vote in Libertarian primaries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_L...tial_primaries
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-27-2019 at 04:50 PM.

He ran Libertarian last time (losing the party nod to Gary Johnson) and says he is running Libertarian again. He got about 8% of the vote in Libertarian primaries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_L...tial_primaries
    Irrelevant, he doesn't qualify.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

"The producers of Gringo, Nanette Bernstein and Jeff Wise, paid the people they interviewed to say what they wanted them to say. The people have signed sworn statements and video stating they were coerced into providing false testimony in order to provide for their family. It's criminal to incite citizens of a 3rd world country with survival money in order to make a buck at the box office. This is not a documentary it's a fictional movie. Period"
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment